Considering LG C8 from TCL 55P605. Thoughts? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-26-2018, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Considering LG C8 from TCL 55P605. Thoughts?

Hello everyone!

I'm considering taking advantage of some great deals on an LC C8 (the 65" model is down to $2100!) and upgrading from my TCL 55P605 (functionally identical to the 55P607).

The TCL is a great set for the money (and a dream to calibrate), but some of the FALD behavior and uniformity issues have started to really annoy me. Some questions for current LG C8 owners:

1. Any advice on good pro calibration technicians in the NY tristate area? I'm located in Manhattan. I usually calibrate my displays with HCFR, but after calibrating a friend's LG C7 with HCFR and reading about the numerous issues with HDR calibration in HCFR I'm thinking pro is the way to go for this amount of money.
2. Any notable performance issues or drawbacks that you notice daily? Anything intrusive that isn't generally talked about in reviews?
3. Any thoughts on buying now versus waiting for a better deal or the next generation display?
4. Related to #1 , can calibration for SDR/HDR mixed content

A bit on my use case: I watch a mixture of 1080p24 and 4K content in HDR10, DV and SDR via an assortment of sources ranging from poor quality youtube all the way up to UHD Bluray. I'm generally discerning about video quality (having once been in broadcast engineering in my distant youth) and have been careful to ensure that my system is handing off a clean signal at the original resolution/format/frame rate to the display. I'm generally impatient with intrusive processing and strongly prefer an accurate, transparent display.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzledyoungman View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm considering taking advantage of some great deals on an LC C8 (the 65" model is down to $2100!) and upgrading from my TCL 55P605 (functionally identical to the 55P607).

The TCL is a great set for the money

Keywords being for the money because you definitely get what you pay for. I just got back from my brother's place yesterday and he has that TCL set and man was it horrible to my eyes after viewing my OLED for the last 10 months. No comparison at all for obvious reasons. The light bleed was definitely there and I found it annoying.

Jump on the deal. Now. You won't regret it. As for pro calibrators... you can't go wrong with Chad B. He did mine... Google hdtvbychad and you should find him. He's on these forums as well.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #3 of 4 Old 12-26-2018, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Keywords being for the money because you definitely get what you pay for. I just got back from my brother's place yesterday and he has that TCL set and man was it horrible to my eyes after viewing my OLED for the last 10 months. No comparison at all for obvious reasons. The light bleed was definitely there and I found it annoying.

Jump on the deal. Now. You won't regret it. As for pro calibrators... you can't go wrong with Chad B. He did mine... Google hdtvbychad and you should find him. He's on these forums as well.
Appreciate the feedback! I'll get quotes from Chad B. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-26-2018, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Also check out D-Nice for calibration. Alternatively, if you buy from Value Electronics (in the NY area), for a fee you can have them QC your new OLED, put 100 hours on it, and then calibrate it before they ship it to you.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page