how many are happy with their OLED purchase? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 100 Old 12-30-2018, 11:42 AM
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
I know the feeling. You could try LG and see if they’ll swap the screen. You need to determine how bad it is (to you) and if the chances of getting something worse on the swap is worth it. I’m living with my Sony and refuse to take a chance by selling it and losing even more money just to buy more aggravation.
Here in my country , under 1 year warranty you can initiate one request to lg to have the panel replaced, the service guy comes to your house, after you tell him he initiates the request, then the upper management has to approve. If the process approval completes, it takes about 1 week time for lg to change the panel and return it to you from the service centre, they bear all costs. But in case you get another horrid screen then, you can't cry a second time because then lg refuses to entertain you because their records show the guy just had a free screen replacement few days back.
The reason im not trying this is because it's not that I got a mechanically defective tv, it's a flaw in lg's (w)oled technology, there is enough evidence and feedback all over the web. But they are getting away with these flaws because there is no other emissive display on the market and the alternative is only lcd. In an ideal situation, such poor QA standards would be considered unacceptable for use. I don't remember dark shots or grey backgrounds showing such artifacts in cheap Akai crt's I used to run in 1990's.
Menarini is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 100 Old 12-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Member
 
tony9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St Charles MO
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Very happy with my 2016 LG OLED. It is an improvement over my KURO in almost every way.

Only the motion handling is not as good, but on balance the other improvements are dramatic enough to overwhelm that one issue.

I would make the same conclusion ...... I still have 2 KURO in use. My original 4280 and the KRP 500M. Both still have rich deep color, but the brightness and enhanced contrast ratio of the 2016 LG B6 OLED ........ its not even close.


NO PROBLEMS in any way with the OLED. I found the settings I prefer using this forum and have not change anything since. The smart TV features are ideal. I do not notice any motion handling issues, no burn in either. (no burn in on my KURO after 10 yrs either). I just need to upgrade my KRP 500M to a 65" OLED (eventually). I don't follow this forum on a regular basis, but the article on Forbes website mentions some issues on the 2018 LG models that is occurring (?)
tony9 is offline  
post #63 of 100 Old 12-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Member
 
chad43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Frequent lurker, infrequent poster here. I apologize in advance for the length of this post but as a former English major and current lawyer, brevity is not a strength of mine.

I've got an LG 65C7 and an LG 65C8. Both are spectacular. C7 has over 2000 hours. C8 has over 700 hours. I followed no special "break in" with either of them. Both have very good uniformity using 5% slides (word of note - my personal belief is that you should use slides rather than the 5% YouTube video). I've not had either one of them professionally calibrated, though it remains on my to-do list. I have, however, used a calibration disc to try to dial in the SDR settings as best as I can.

I don't believe in good luck. I think the fact that I am two for two is not good luck. Rather, it is evidence that you stand a better chance of being thrilled with your purchase than disappointed.

Although I don't believe in good luck, I do believe in bad luck. For any of you who monitored the early C7 thread, I followed @VidPro 's travails with his C7 since he and I got our units at about the same time and I kept hoping that he would get a good one. If anyone deserved to catch a break, it was VidPro. Unfortunately, VidPro has had bad luck, very bad luck, in my opinion. Despite this, he has my undying admiration for never going scorched earth on the technology.

There are many flamethrowers in these forums that will roll their eyes and cast my opinion as naive and even pollyannaish. That's fine, I've got thick skin. Nothing will change the fact that I am thoroughly satisfied with both of my purchases.

That being said, on my C8 I do see the phenomenon of blocking/flashing exhibited in The Handmaid's Tale that @jk82 and @Wizziwig have referenced. Although I do not see this on my C7, I cannot rule out differences in display settings between the two devices as being the cause of the differing results. Yes, I am bothered by this on my C8. However, I watch a lot of varying content on my C8 and I see this phenomenon rarely enough that it does not change my overall satisfaction with my purchase. I am still well within the warranty period and it happens rarely enough that I'm not even considering a return or a replacement.

So if you chose to skip to the end of this ridiculously long post, yes I am happy with my OLED purchase.
chad43 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 100 Old 12-30-2018, 04:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have the 65 a9f. Floored by the picture . Played some ultra 4k movies on a OPPO 205.Cannot imagine a better picture.
I did my homework on the best tv. The a9f checks all the boxes. My a9f is possible the cleanest oled made by man.
No banding, No uniformity issue at all. Even if Sony came out with 2.1 in 2019 ces. I would not return my tv because
it is a unicorn with its no banding or uniformity problem found with oled tvs.




KILLINGSOB
Latinoheat likes this.
KILLINGSOB is offline  
post #65 of 100 Old 01-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Upgradus Interruptus
 
longbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Bayfield County, Wisconsin
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
I would sure like to see a poll on this site about this and all the tv's that have an owner's thread. I mean it seems like the threads are all about either problems with their tv's or calibration (this is very useful) or trouble shooting (this is also very useful). I finally ordered the LG C8 after several days of poring of reviews and numerous threads about all the tv's I was considering. My head began to ache trying to sort it our because ….THERE IS NO PERFECT TV! So I ordered what I thought would make me (and my wife) the happiest for our viewing needs. I've done what I can to protect myself in case the tv is a dud or has a problem because every last one of them seem to have a subgroup of duds within a a very great group of tv's. I think a poll of sorts at the beginning of each owners thread as to whether or not the posters are happy with their tv would be useful. I mean if 80% are happy that's likely a tv I would get but if only 50% are happy then it would time to look for another option. Anyway, thanks to all who contribute and take the time to troubleshoot the issues and post the calibrations that are helpful to people like me who just buy the tv and want to sit down and enjoy it and have a little help when needed.
I bought the LG C7 55" a year ago. The picture is amazing. I would buy it again. The C8 is purportedly better but I expect that with another year under OLED's belt. At some point you have to buy something. No regrets on this TV.
Bill.L likes this.

"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike" HT: 7.2.6 - Denon AVR-X8500H, Oppo BDP-205D, Vandersteen VCC-2 CT with KEF LS50 L/R, M&K ss-150's SL & SR, SVS Prime Elevation front L/R, Side 2 pair ahead and behind seating, 2 - SVS SB16 Ultra, Epson 5040UB, Stewart StudioTek 130 92". Living Room: LG OLED55C7P & Oppo UDP-203 with Sonos Sound Base.
longbow is offline  
post #66 of 100 Old 01-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Newbie
 
MJC5point1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
I would sure like to see a poll on this site about this and all the tv's that have an owner's thread. I mean it seems like the threads are all about either problems with their tv's or calibration (this is very useful) or trouble shooting (this is also very useful). I finally ordered the LG C8 after several days of poring of reviews and numerous threads about all the tv's I was considering. My head began to ache trying to sort it our because ….THERE IS NO PERFECT TV! So I ordered what I thought would make me (and my wife) the happiest for our viewing needs. I've done what I can to protect myself in case the tv is a dud or has a problem because every last one of them seem to have a subgroup of duds within a a very great group of tv's. I think a poll of sorts at the beginning of each owners thread as to whether or not the posters are happy with their tv would be useful. I mean if 80% are happy that's likely a tv I would get but if only 50% are happy then it would time to look for another option. Anyway, thanks to all who contribute and take the time to troubleshoot the issues and post the calibrations that are helpful to people like me who just buy the tv and want to sit down and enjoy it and have a little help when needed.
Sony 65" XBR-A1E OLED. I've had it for a year. Calibrated after a couple of months. It replaced a Pioneer 50" Kuro plasma.

Very slight inconsistencies in color, visible only on full-white patterns during calibration. I'm careful to turn off the picture when I press Pause and leave the room for a few minutes, but I'm mildly compulsive. I see no burn-in.

I loved the plasma. I love the OLED even more. With good 4K HDR source material and in my dark room, it is staggering.
MJC5point1 is offline  
post #67 of 100 Old 01-01-2019, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tom C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 216
55" B6. Love this thing. No regrets.

LG OLED55B6P (Calibrated by AVICAL)
Denon AVR-X4200W ** oppo UDP-203 **oppo BDP-103D
HR44 DirecTV ** Panamax 5300 ** Harmony One Universal Remote
Hsu HB-1 MK2 (L, R & S) ** Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) ** Hsu VTF-15H (sub)
Crowson Technology Level 2 Motion System
MediaLight 6500K Bias Lighting System ** AIRCOM T8 Receiver Cooling Blower
Tom C is offline  
post #68 of 100 Old 01-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Senior Member
 
FarmerBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: On the Beach.
Posts: 355
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 108
My next purchase will be a . . .

. . . depends on what is shown at CES 2019. Although I will never buy another Samsung product, I love my 2016 KS8000 QDLCD. Which is supposedly = to the Q8 now. Having come from a 2008 Samsung DLP that was AMAZING!! LCD was a big let down for me. My DLP lasted for 15,000 hours (8 years), 11-12k hours more than it should have. At that time OLED was not as advanced as it is now. And unbeknownst to Joe Consumer, Samsung was making big changes and I got in on the last of the good sets. 2019-20 is supposedly gonna be big. The reason why Samsung tubed their product lines for 2017 -2019. Hoping to recover in late 2019-2020.

I am really liking what I have seen, read and am hearing about the LG C8-9s. But am getting confused by all the C, E, G and W. Like I said, we'll have to see what CES has to offer. Again, another supposedly, prices are to go down also. We'll see.
FarmerBob is offline  
post #69 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,656
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked: 3743
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still sporting the 2016 models, but CEGW entail exclusively aesthetic (and audio system) differences.
video_analysis is offline  
post #70 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,669
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked: 3176
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong since I'm still sporting the 2016 models, but CEGW entail exclusively aesthetic (and audio system) differences.

100% correct

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is online now  
post #71 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,041
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 681
I’ve had a 65e6 loved that tv my brother had it now and no issues. I have a 55b7 in my bedroom again that tv has been great. I now have a 77c8 and I wish I loved it but I’ve had bad luck with the 77. I went through 3 for different problems and the one I have now still has a hissing power supply.
Adamd is online now  
post #72 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 09:38 AM
Member
 
csk33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkammer View Post
It replaced the Panasonic 50 in. Plasma I had for over 10 years and I couldn't be happier..
This was my story exactly. The improvement in picture quality out of the box was so significant that any tweaking via calibration was merely icing on the cake.
csk33 is offline  
post #73 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Member
 
tvwxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just surpassed one year with my LG C7. The TV is on at least several hours every day in our family room. Could not be happier with the picture from day one through today. Only calibration performed was through the menu settings based on some professional reviews I read prior to purchase. Simply blows away any LCD flat screen in existence. Possible only competition might have been the original plasma TVs since they also we're capable of hitting pure black.

My only concern with these units are the plastic membrane used on the screen. When the TV is off and you are looking at reflections in the screen, you can clearly see gross unevenness with the thin plastic surface as opposed to a glass surface. Kind of like looking in a funhouse mirror seeing the reflections warped. I went back to the store to make sure this was not unique to my unit. I confirmed that it was not thankfully because I was concerned I might have bent the screen during the mounting process.

In any case, when the picture is on there is no hint of picture distortion, I even ran some tests patterns on the screen to make sure. So with that concern allayed, I give all of this my unconditional recommendation and two thumbs up!
tvwxman is offline  
post #74 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Member
 
Hinsoog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have an LG OLED65E6P I am spoiled by and couldn't be happier with it years later. So it seems like some people are still humoring LCD screens over these... So as far as I go, a handful of months ago I bought Samsung 82" in their 8-series line for a party room, and I wasn't comfortable buying an LCD after loving my OLED so much, but I wanted size for that room.

Well, because of the novelty of another 17 inches I spent some personal time with it playing games on it that I was just playing on my OLED in my main setup. The 82" Samsung is a looker still, the contrast ratio was at least better than expected, and the size is undeniably fun, but it's official, my eyes are spoiled on my OLED. I can resolutely say that the 65" OLED is the better screen for me. I couldn't make the 82" LCD my main display. I still had the nagging sense that things were still just a little washed out, and more generally it just doesn't feel as good to look at.

I brought my games back up to my OLED and had the same revelation I always do, and that's that my OLED is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen, even after years. I really think that the OLED detractors are just uncomfortable paying the price premium, so they let their OCD on an issue that isn't visible in a practical way on actual content defeat it. Silly. Buy the OLED folks, don't be crazy.
Latinoheat and Bill.L like this.
Hinsoog is offline  
post #75 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ruppgu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinsoog View Post

I brought my games back up to my OLED and had the same revelation I always do, and that's that my OLED is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen, even after years. I really think that the OLED detractors are just uncomfortable paying the price premium, so they let their OCD on an issue that isn't visible in a practical way on actual content defeat it. Silly. Buy the OLED folks, don't be crazy.
Whatever you want to think dude. This is a very dismissive point of view though. I own the TV and have major issues with banding. I see it in nearly every single thing I view and it really bothers me. It's still my best TV in the house but the issue is very critical and it bothers me enough that I'm always on the lookout for new TVs each year to see if banding is improved.

Congrats on either winning the panel lottery or having eyes/viewing environment that makes it less visible.
VidPro and video_analysis like this.

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
Ruppgu is offline  
post #76 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Reflex-Arc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mountlake Terrace, WA
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I see banding in games, but rarely (if ever) in other content. I was pretty miffed about it until I started looking at those same games more critically on my PC & monitor and saw it there too. I never really paid much attention to it until I got my C7. Now I can't unsee it on any display.

On another note, it's cool to see so many folks enamoured with their displays!

Last edited by Reflex-Arc; 01-02-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Reflex-Arc is offline  
post #77 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Hinsoog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
Whatever you want to think dude. This is a very dismissive point of view though. I own the TV and have major issues with banding. I see it in nearly every single thing I view and it really bothers me. It's still my best TV in the house but the issue is very critical and it bothers me enough that I'm always on the lookout for new TVs each year to see if banding is improved.

Congrats on either winning the panel lottery or having eyes/viewing environment that makes it less visible.
Yeah I suppose I sounded a little sassy, sorry about that. I just think something is up about this banding, and people play a little game with themselves I will explain. I showed this thread to a friend who discovered the banding and somehow let it ruin it for himself, and he may actually make a post soon. Sadly for this argument he never showed me the banding, but he did show me the set he ended up with for his main display which was a 75" higher-end Sony LCD, and for him the extra inches, and probably the saved dollars, let him make peace with his set, which is an excellent set.

Here is the thing, we played a game where bright objects were often displayed in black environments, and the bright blooming effect around the bright character or object was glaring and noticeable. That blooming is something I readily see in an overt, obvious way, and I can't even imagine it being less an issue than banding, which I haven't seen any practical sign of in real content. My 82" looks great, but it's simply not as good as my OLED, and has it's own set of bizarre quirks that show up on occasion in dealing with tough contrast issues. Oh well, right? But they are there.

So what you do is you make this trade for yourself. For a cheaper, lesser display, you can gain inches, save money, and take some other probably-more-fatal flaw. But, maybe I won the panel lottery like many other people on here, who knows. But if you are here on this forum, you care about picture quality, so to that end we have a clear winner.
Hinsoog is offline  
post #78 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Im happy with my 77g6p purchase. Its definitely a step up from my 65" ZT60 plasma for video games. 4k gaming is much better and the input lag is better. Movies/TV shows took me a very long time to get adjusted, but finally with the right settings dialed in Im very happy. Rarely there may be some soap opera effect, but I think it depends on the quality of the source
If you are in the market for a new tv, or your plasma died, go with oLED
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	2504478  
Manoj Mohan is offline  
post #79 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
kcgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Mohan View Post
Im happy with my 77g6p purchase. Its definitely a step up from my 65" ZT60 plasma for video games. 4k gaming is much better and the input lag is better. Movies/TV shows took me a very long time to get adjusted, but finally with the right settings dialed in Im very happy. Rarely there may be some soap opera effect, but I think it depends on the quality of the source
If you are in the market for a new tv, or your plasma died, go with oLED
I have a 65C6P as the main unit and a 55B7 as the bedroom unit. Very happy with both.

I wish the C6 did youtube HDR, actually bought a few 3d disks here and there to see what all the fuss was about. 3D looks fantastic on it.
kcgr is offline  
post #80 of 100 Old 01-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Throw me into the not happy category.

I have a 55" inch OLED with a near perfect panel. Why am I not happy then? I will just say that I had a really horrible time trying to find an OLED that didn't have terrible banding, which included a lot of hassle, multiple returns, and even settling on the 55" over the 65".

I still have my 55" OLED and it is a great set, but I retired it to my casual viewing space and eventually got a 75" Sony 900F because I wanted something bigger and didn't want to play the panel lottery on any more OLED sets. My 75" Sony 900F was also cheaper than a 65" OLED and I would argue that it is better considering the extra screen real estate.

If I would have been able to get a good 65" OLED panel I probably would have been happy with that, but the banding issue prevented that from happening.

Also, for what it's worth, I noticed my banding before I even knew it was a thing. I didn't play any torture scenes because I didn't even know they existed. I didn't look at slides. I didn't look for banding. I just saw it, plain as day. Simple as that.

OLED prices and banding issues prevented me from getting a TV in a size that I truly wanted, but I was convinced that OLED technology was worth it. If I could have done it over again I just would have skipped OLED altogether and gone straight for a large medium/top tier LCD like I did by going with the 75" Sony 900F.

However, if money is not a concern, and you can get a good panel, then I can't argue against not being happy with a 77" OLED. That would be an amazing screen no doubt.

Sony 75X900F | XB1X | Onkyo TX-8050 | Klipsch RF-52 II | SVS SB12-NSD | HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro | HTDesign Warwick

Last edited by reasoner512; 01-02-2019 at 08:57 PM.
reasoner512 is offline  
post #81 of 100 Old 01-03-2019, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,656
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoner512 View Post
Also, for what it's worth, I noticed my banding before I even knew it was a thing. I didn't play any torture scenes because I didn't even know they existed. I didn't look at slides. I didn't look for banding. I just saw it, plain as day. Simple as that.
Same here with my most recent set. It waxes and wanes after nearly 5k hours but will still show up with the right backgrounds (and panning). On some movies, I might see it for a fleeting second, so I can't complain. On others where the grading isn't as optimum, the columns sadly detract from the suspension of disbelief, becoming more frequently noticeable.
Reflex-Arc and Ruppgu like this.
video_analysis is offline  
post #82 of 100 Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I’m going to be honest with you. OLED tv’s are not both worth it to invest your money in if you are considering to keep your tv for more than 4 years. Burn-ins are going to happen. This technology is all about babysitting.

You can’t keep your tv on static images to long, you always have to worry if you watch a channel with some certain colours that are not good for the OLED screen (yellow, orange, red) that it will stick there. Most of the time it’s image retention. But after a while it will be a burn-in. This technology is just not it. I wish LCD’s manufacturers would find a way to make their pixels self enlightened. But that’s not the case till Micro-LEDs gets commercial. I’m happy with the picture quality that OLED can produce.

I just don’t like the babysitting on this tv. And yes burn-ins concerns are a real problem on OLED’s. It just wasn’t that visible because the OLED cost back then where to high for most people. Now the technology becomes more commercial, more people can afford it. And most of the time the issue starts after a year of two of using. That’s why you will see more and more reports of burn-ins. It’s real and a big flaw of this technology sadly.
Achillias is offline  
post #83 of 100 Old 01-03-2019, 02:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Would I consider a new OLED tv after the C7 and 8 I’ve, certainly not. I’m waiting for microleds now. Not going to invest more money in to OLED.
Achillias is offline  
post #84 of 100 Old 01-03-2019, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ruppgu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinsoog View Post
Yeah I suppose I sounded a little sassy, sorry about that. I just think something is up about this banding, and people play a little game with themselves I will explain. I showed this thread to a friend who discovered the banding and somehow let it ruin it for himself, and he may actually make a post soon. Sadly for this argument he never showed me the banding, but he did show me the set he ended up with for his main display which was a 75" higher-end Sony LCD, and for him the extra inches, and probably the saved dollars, let him make peace with his set, which is an excellent set.

Here is the thing, we played a game where bright objects were often displayed in black environments, and the bright blooming effect around the bright character or object was glaring and noticeable. That blooming is something I readily see in an overt, obvious way, and I can't even imagine it being less an issue than banding, which I haven't seen any practical sign of in real content. My 82" looks great, but it's simply not as good as my OLED, and has it's own set of bizarre quirks that show up on occasion in dealing with tough contrast issues. Oh well, right? But they are there.

So what you do is you make this trade for yourself. For a cheaper, lesser display, you can gain inches, save money, and take some other probably-more-fatal flaw. But, maybe I won the panel lottery like many other people on here, who knows. But if you are here on this forum, you care about picture quality, so to that end we have a clear winner.
I agree when it comes to LCD. My problem is that I come from a panny plasma and it doesn't have any issues with banding or blooming. The only real negative is that the blacks aren't quite as good as the oled (but respectable) and of course it can't handle 4k. Perhaps I was a bit spoiled by a near perfect TV as my prior TV.

There are some things I prefer to watch on my plasma. I have stopped watching walking dead, x-files, and handmaid's tale on my oled because quite simply... it looks better on my plasma. When I replace my current oled, I'll be faced with a hard choice of replacing my plasma with my current oled or keeping it around because some content looks better on the plasma still.

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
Ruppgu is offline  
post #85 of 100 Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
I’m going to be honest with you. OLED tv’s are not both worth it to invest your money in if you are considering to keep your tv for more than 4 years. Burn-ins are going to happen. This technology is all about babysitting.

You can’t keep your tv on static images to long, you always have to worry if you watch a channel with some certain colours that are not good for the OLED screen (yellow, orange, red) that it will stick there. Most of the time it’s image retention. But after a while it will be a burn-in. This technology is just not it. I wish LCD’s manufacturers would find a way to make their pixels self enlightened. But that’s not the case till Micro-LEDs gets commercial. I’m happy with the picture quality that OLED can produce.

I just don’t like the babysitting on this tv. And yes burn-ins concerns are a real problem on OLED’s. It just wasn’t that visible because the OLED cost back then where to high for most people. Now the technology becomes more commercial, more people can afford it. And most of the time the issue starts after a year of two of using. That’s why you will see more and more reports of burn-ins. It’s real and a big flaw of this technology sadly.
I remember this same mumbo jumbo when plasmas came into the market . Best Buy guys would try to convince me to buy lcd, everyone said it was a dead technology . One of my friends who worked for Sony said lcd is the future . Ha. That was nearly 15 years ago and my plasmas still going strong with no burn in . My 77 OLED is 2016, no burn in and I Game everyday. And the only tv to die in my immediate family that needed replacement ? A piece of crap sharp led. Also If the tv has a wide viewing angle take it !!
Manoj Mohan is offline  
post #86 of 100 Old 01-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post
I would sure like to see a poll on this site about this and all the tv's that have an owner's thread. I mean it seems like the threads are all about either problems with their tv's or calibration (this is very useful) or trouble shooting (this is also very useful). I finally ordered the LG C8 after several days of poring of reviews and numerous threads about all the tv's I was considering. My head began to ache trying to sort it our because ….THERE IS NO PERFECT TV! So I ordered what I thought would make me (and my wife) the happiest for our viewing needs. I've done what I can to protect myself in case the tv is a dud or has a problem because every last one of them seem to have a subgroup of duds within a a very great group of tv's. I think a poll of sorts at the beginning of each owners thread as to whether or not the posters are happy with their tv would be useful. I mean if 80% are happy that's likely a tv I would get but if only 50% are happy then it would time to look for another option. Anyway, thanks to all who contribute and take the time to troubleshoot the issues and post the calibrations that are helpful to people like me who just buy the tv and want to sit down and enjoy it and have a little help when needed.
I am no expert --- by any means --- but here is my "For what it is worth". We have had our B7P since last Nov 2017. It has 2700 hrs. on it & all is well. I used the forum here at AV to set the basic calibrations and we have been VERY pleased with it. DO BE SURE you turn on the screen shift to constantly move the pixels around & RUN that pixel refresher once a week or twice a month or so. Personally, I do not use the vivid setting either. I don't let a still picture/screen of any type set there not moving for very long. We have had NO issues watching those channels that have their little constant symbol in one place on the screen. It is all just common sense. Study, and by doing just a bit of homework & with that knowledge --- you will be fine.
For example, why would LG program the mute symbol to shift every 10 seconds? I would say to ALWAYS set any organic pixel screen to use the screen saver when possible. Keep those pixels moving and you will be safe from any burn in issues. Our modern tv's are really just a computer.
Yes, I rate the LG Oled's as having the best organic picture screen & overall picture for the money out there in today's world of big-screens. All the LG Oleds share the same screen & picture processors. The only difference between the models are the speakers. If you want to add a home theater system get the B model - why pay extra for the better speakers of the C & up models? Why not put that money in your home theater speakers? My B7P model has Cosco's 7 year replacement warranty and MUCH better volume than the flat screens of a few years back & it INCLUDES Dolby Atmos sound, too. GREAT DEAL !!!
Spidergames and chad43 like this.
D D Summers is offline  
post #87 of 100 Old 01-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Member
 
chad43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by D D Summers View Post
I am no expert --- by any means --- but here is my "For what it is worth". We have had our B7P since last Nov 2017. It has 2700 hrs. on it & all is well. I used the forum here at AV to set the basic calibrations and we have been VERY pleased with it. DO BE SURE you turn on the screen shift to constantly move the pixels around & RUN that pixel refresher once a week or twice a month or so. Personally, I do not use the vivid setting either. I don't let a still picture/screen of any type set there not moving for very long. We have had NO issues watching those channels that have their little constant symbol in one place on the screen. It is all just common sense. Study, and by doing just a bit of homework & with that knowledge --- you will be fine.
For example, why would LG program the mute symbol to shift every 10 seconds? I would say to ALWAYS set any organic pixel screen to use the screen saver when possible. Keep those pixels moving and you will be safe from any burn in issues. Our modern tv's are really just a computer.
Yes, I rate the LG Oled's as having the best organic picture screen & overall picture for the money out there in today's world of big-screens. All the LG Oleds share the same screen & picture processors. The only difference between the models are the speakers. If you want to add a home theater system get the B model - why pay extra for the better speakers of the C & up models? Why not put that money in your home theater speakers? My B7P model has Cosco's 7 year replacement warranty and MUCH better volume than the flat screens of a few years back & it INCLUDES Dolby Atmos sound, too. GREAT DEAL !!!
Ditto for me on most of that. Although I applaud your fastidiousness, I offer this to address any concerns your post might create regarding the need for vigilance. Not a criticism, just a slight counterpoint. I have never run the pixel refresher manually. My C7 did it automatically at 2000 hours, and my C8 isn't there yet. I do, however, have screen shift turned on. My absent-minded son has a habit of leaving the Xbox on pause while he leaves the house to go out for lunch, or when he emerges from the basement for dinner. He also watches a lot of YouTube programs that are basically a stationary camera on several guys sitting around discussing video games. In other words, my son is a human image retention/burn in torture test. Despite that, I've experienced no IR or BI problems.

There is a post above that asserts IR or BI will be a problem further down the road than where I am presently with my two sets. I can't predict the future so I'm not going to say he's wrong. All that I can say is that at 2000+ hours on the C7, and 800+ hours on the C8, I've got no IR or BI problems without a manual pixel refresh.
chad43 is offline  
post #88 of 100 Old 01-03-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 3,584
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 1545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
There are some things I prefer to watch on my plasma. I have stopped watching walking dead, x-files, and handmaid's tale on my oled because quite simply... it looks better on my plasma. When I replace my current oled, I'll be faced with a hard choice of replacing my plasma with my current oled or keeping it around because some content looks better on the plasma still.
That's an interesting observation. OLED's ability to display absolute black only matters if the source actually contains absolute black. Probably 50% of what I watch these days (includes movies and TV shows) are mastered with elevated blacks on purpose for artistic reasons. You could faithfully reproduce them even on an LCD, never mind plasma or OLED - typically with less uniformity issues and better gradation. I don't think that's going to change any time soon. If anything, I'm seeing more content with elevated blacks each year. Such low-contrast content looks worse on all TVs but at least tolerable if you don't have additional near-black issues caused by the display.

Have you tied doing your own "OLED Re-Master" by lowering brightness until it hits absolute black? Or is there too much shadow detail loss to make it worthwhile?
Wizziwig is offline  
post #89 of 100 Old 01-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Member
 
TorinoCobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just over a year of LG 65" C7 ownership, and still love the picture. I came from a 65" Panny Plasma, so I'm used to using burn-in avoidance procedures.

Would I buy another OLED? In a heartbeat!
TorinoCobra is offline  
post #90 of 100 Old 01-03-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
metalsaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western, Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,321
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 858
I bought a 2016 OLED model when they were pretty new. I was happy with it then. I'm in the market again for a new model that supports Dolby Vision. So I'm definitely interested in what these new 9 series models will offer. I'd love to move up in size from a 65", but I'm not sure if that will be in my budget or even offered.
metalsaber is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off