LG To Unveil 8K, ALPHA 9 Gen 2 Processor & HDMI 2.1 TVs at CES 2019 - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 480Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #361 of 977 Old 01-08-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gorman42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
well not quite everyone [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ineup-ces.html
This ranks among the greatest replies I've ever seen in more than 25 years on the internet. 😄
Well deserved, fafrd is a master.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
gorman42 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 977 Old 01-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
My C8 doesn't have any version numbers written on it so looking at the back won't confirm anything. It seems like a safe bet that it will be all ports.
Right they are all the same, so it makes sense there's no label. Back when the sets had three HDMI 1.4 ports and one HDMI 2.0 port they were labeled. So hopefully seeing no labels is a good thing.


Hopefully we'll get a good interview from the floor with some more technical specs soon too. Color space coverage, peak luminance and further HDMI 2.1 confirmation.

.
Current: LG 77C9 OLED, Denon x6500H @ 7.2.4, Xbox One X, PC w. RTX2080ti
LG 55E6P OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Previous: LG 55" EF9500 OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)
Tomcup is offline  
post #363 of 977 Old 01-08-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,566
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6677 Post(s)
Liked: 6672
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
But never after pricing has been released and almost never after a formal product code has been released...
Sharp unit comes to mind, forget the model number though

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
q9s...
Yep.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post
Why doesn't LG have an 88" 4K OLED? 8K just adds to the cost and is really not needed. LG? 88" 4K OLED? Where is it? ...and make the price reasonable...haha
Probably not as much as you think. Either way I bet it would be $25,000 starting MSRP. Well if we are lucky $15,000.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #364 of 977 Old 01-08-2019, 08:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
have they still not confirmed at it is the real deal 48 gbps? If ends up being just 18 gbps, that displayport 1.4 55" OLED that dell just announced is looking pretty enticing
olqxqipz is offline  
post #365 of 977 Old 01-08-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by olqxqipz View Post
have they still not confirmed at it is the real deal 48 gbps? If ends up being just 18 gbps, that displayport 1.4 55" OLED that dell just announced is looking pretty enticing
True full 48Gbps HDMI2.1 Ultra has been confirmed for the full 2019 lineup of LG WOLEDs making use of the Alpha 9 Gen 2 processor...
fafrd is offline  
post #366 of 977 Old 01-08-2019, 08:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
True full 48Gbps HDMI2.1 Ultra has been confirmed for the full 2019 lineup of LG WOLEDs making use of the Alpha 9 Gen 2 processor...
Where though? I have yet to see LG specifically state "48 Gbps" or "Ultra High Speed" anywhere. I'd be very happy to see them saying it

Last edited by olqxqipz; 01-08-2019 at 08:30 PM.
olqxqipz is offline  
post #367 of 977 Old 01-08-2019, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcup View Post
Right they are all the same, so it makes sense there's no label. Back when the sets had three HDMI 1.4 ports and one HDMI 2.0 port they were labeled. So hopefully seeing no labels is a good thing.
Good point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olqxqipz View Post
have they still not confirmed at it is the real deal 48 gbps? If ends up being just 18 gbps, that displayport 1.4 55" OLED that dell just announced is looking pretty enticing
There are articles where journalists confirmed the specs with LG representatives.


Look guys I don't think LG would have made such a big deal about announcing HDMI 2.1 if they weren't going to do it right. This is something that only hardcore enthusiasts are even aware of so it wouldn't make sense to half-ass it. They know how to cater to us. Everyone else just cares about screen sizes and roll up TVs.



The only other company that even mentioned HDMI 2.1 in passing was Sony and that was only on certain models and only as a firmware upgrade. And I imagine that was just a last minute response to LG. And I'm willing to bet its not going to be fully featured.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #368 of 977 Old 01-08-2019, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Callsign_Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Ugg, too bad us computer gamer guys have to wait until HDMI 2.1 GPU's come out. NVIDIA 7nm may not be until 2020.

So the decision:

1. Buy a C9 this spring and wait until 2020 for a NVIDIA HDMI 2.1 GPU and then realize 4K/120 VRR

or

2. Buy a Alienware 4K/120 55" OLED monitor this fall and use with my current Displayport 1.4 RTX Titan video card and realize 4K/120 VRR sooner?
Callsign_Vega is offline  
post #369 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Good point.

There are articles where journalists confirmed the specs with LG representatives.


Look guys I don't think LG would have made such a big deal about announcing HDMI 2.1 if they weren't going to do it right. This is something that only hardcore enthusiasts are even aware of so it wouldn't make sense to half-ass it. They know how to cater to us. Everyone else just cares about screen sizes and roll up TVs.



The only other company that even mentioned HDMI 2.1 in passing was Sony and that was only on certain models and only as a firmware upgrade. And I imagine that was just a last minute response to LG. And I'm willing to bet its not going to be fully featured.
Yeah I believe that there's definitely at least one full featured HDMI 2.1 port on each set; and I know that there's a couple articles that say "all ports" but LG can really botch some english translations. Previous generations released so early in a new HDMI chipset only had one full speed port. I would just feel a lot better with a bit more confirmation, that's all.

I feel pretty confident that they will all be full featured, but I'd hate to get my hopes up too high.

.
Current: LG 77C9 OLED, Denon x6500H @ 7.2.4, Xbox One X, PC w. RTX2080ti
LG 55E6P OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Previous: LG 55" EF9500 OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)
Tomcup is offline  
post #370 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ALMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 329
ALMA is offline  
post #371 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1731 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by olqxqipz View Post
Where though? I have yet to see LG specifically state "48 Gbps" or "Ultra High Speed" anywhere. I'd be very happy to see them saying it


Here ya go bud, right from LG, 2.1 baby!

https://www.cnet.com/news/lg-confirm...t-in-2019-tvs/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JasonHa likes this.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is offline  
post #372 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 06:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 189
So has LG or anyone even talked about the upgraded motion? That's literally the only benefit I can see in these new OLEDs. So far we've all been speculating about <8.3 ms persistence but nothing has actually been confirmed other than "25% black frame time at 120Hz" (which would actually result in higher persistence).
locomo likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
Micolash is offline  
post #373 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
Ugg, too bad us computer gamer guys have to wait until HDMI 2.1 GPU's come out. NVIDIA 7nm may not be until 2020.

So the decision:

1. Buy a C9 this spring and wait until 2020 for a NVIDIA HDMI 2.1 GPU and then realize 4K/120 VRR

or

2. Buy a Alienware 4K/120 55" OLED monitor this fall and use with my current Displayport 1.4 RTX Titan video card and realize 4K/120 VRR sooner?
Do we know if its limited to DP? They could do it over HDMI 2.0 if they want. I guess we will find out next week.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #374 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sdf777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Williamsburg, VA / Kennebunkport, ME
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was wondering in the past how long it takes LG to announce pricing and availability of the new OLED TVs? Do they wait until after CES or can we expect something any day?

Steve
sdf777 is offline  
post #375 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ALMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Completely new panel structure for 2019 with much better fill rate:



https://translate.google.com/transla...00241,15700248


Also different to the Philips panel.
gorman42, Tomcup, New24K and 1 others like this.
ALMA is offline  
post #376 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,676
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
So has LG or anyone even talked about the upgraded motion? That's literally the only benefit I can see in these new OLEDs.
The Forbes article talks about improved color, motion, and upscaling.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#6040a45b432d
BillP is offline  
post #377 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 08:35 AM
Member
 
stl8k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
So has LG or anyone even talked about the upgraded motion? That's literally the only benefit I can see in these new OLEDs. So far we've all been speculating about <8.3 ms persistence but nothing has actually been confirmed other than "25% black frame time at 120Hz" (which would actually result in higher persistence).
The nature of the show may not reveal lots of details. LG isn't even showing the C/E/W9s on the show floor. LGD's booth is buttoned up with ostensibly little ability to inspect the displays through custom content.

Also, the folks who dig deeply into things—you might call them enthusiast press—haven't yet chimed in. Here's a short list of enthusiast display press that are at the show:

https://twitter.com/BlurBusters
https://twitter.com/BigJohnnyArcher
https://twitter.com/Vincent_Teoh

And, don't miss this forum's YouTube channel which is posting to YouTube at high frame rate (60p):

https://www.youtube.com/user/AVForumsTV/videos
Tomcup likes this.
stl8k is offline  
post #378 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
Ugg, too bad us computer gamer guys have to wait until HDMI 2.1 GPU's come out. NVIDIA 7nm may not be until 2020.

So the decision:

1. Buy a C9 this spring and wait until 2020 for a NVIDIA HDMI 2.1 GPU and then realize 4K/120 VRR

or

2. Buy a Alienware 4K/120 55" OLED monitor this fall and use with my current Displayport 1.4 RTX Titan video card and realize 4K/120 VRR sooner?

LG very well may support FreeSync over HDMI on current GPUs. Might be AMD-only, might be NVIDIA's implementation of open VRR as well. FreeSync displays have long since supported full-range VRR over HDMI even prior to 2.1. We will have to see once reviews hit just how it's implemented. The original Xbox One isn't the full HDMI2.1 spec but it supports VRR and I guarantee the new LGs will support VRR on the Xbox One.


I'm kind of in the same boat but the Alienware monitor will have a big price premium and I don't think it looks as nice design-wise.

LG OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One X | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Pioneer 5020FD | Panasonic 46S30 | Hitachi P50V701
Ozymandis is offline  
post #379 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Senior Member
 
bjaurelio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
David Katzmaier thinks the C9 will be a minor PQ improvement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_151127.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	2508350
bjaurelio is offline  
post #380 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
David Katzmaier thinks the C9 will be a minor PQ improvement.

Attachment 2508350
'sight-unseen' - take that for what it's worth.

Anyone appreciating better motion performance is likely to consider the C9 a big step up from the C8... (also sight-unseen ).
BillP and gorman42 like this.
fafrd is offline  
post #381 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
bjaurelio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
'sight-unseen' - take that for what it's worth.

Anyone appreciating better motion performance is likely to consider the C9 a big step up from the C8... (also sight-unseen ).
He has seen the new TVs, just not in a controlled environment. The same is true of John Archer whose Forbes article has been posted a few times. Interestingly enough, both are basically saying the same as they did regarding C7 to C8 differences.
bjaurelio is offline  
post #382 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,098
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Here ya go bud, right from LG, 2.1 baby!

https://www.cnet.com/news/lg-confirm...t-in-2019-tvs/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully the required "special 48Gbps HDMI cable" will work at lengths longer than the originally cited 9' . Active maybe?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #383 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 04:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 140
As always, we won't know about picture quality improvements until the reviews are in. There are usually surprises.
JasonHa is offline  
post #384 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,028
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
He has seen the new TVs, just not in a controlled environment. The same is true of John Archer whose Forbes article has been posted a few times. Interestingly enough, both are basically saying the same as they did regarding C7 to C8 differences.

The Forbes/John Archer C9/E9 initial review made it sound like the 2019 LGs were more than just minor improvements over the 2018s.

Shopping List:
TV: LG C9/C10, or Samsung Q90R, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Pioneer Elite LX500, or Sony X800M
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
New24K is offline  
post #385 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,351
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
^^^ John Archer who?
Gillietalls and Cam1977 like this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #386 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Member
 
crazepharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 23
so dumb question but if VRR is a feature over HDMI 2.1, will netflix or other streaming features that are built into the tv ever get support? or will it just be a feature for video game consoles and blurays? My main gripe is motion blur on my c8 so I'm most interested in that feature for the C9.
crazepharmacist is offline  
post #387 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,631
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
The Forbes/John Archer C9/E9 initial review made it sound like the 2019 LGs were more than just minor improvements over the 2018s.
Unless he has seen the 8 series and 9 series next to each other playing the same content, I'd take his comments with a big grain of salt.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
drewTT is offline  
post #388 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
analog8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Seattle
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Unless he has seen the 8 series and 9 series next to each other playing the same content, I'd take his comments with a big grain of salt.

LG has a 9 series and 8 series OLED side by side in their booth to show off the AI features. I was hard pressed to see the difference myself.



I chatted at length with an LG rep and he confided there was 'no chance' the new WebOS comes to previous OLED models. Not a huge surprise.



The roll-up TV was pretty cool as a form factor but to my eyes visual quality didn't look as good as the regular OLED panel behind it. At least they learned their lesson and they aren't showing any content on the big video wall which highlights vignetting like they did in 2017.
MrKiller, Gillietalls and Cam1977 like this.
analog8 is offline  
post #389 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazepharmacist View Post
so dumb question but if VRR is a feature over HDMI 2.1, will netflix or other streaming features that are built into the tv ever get support? or will it just be a feature for video game consoles and blurays? My main gripe is motion blur on my c8 so I'm most interested in that feature for the C9.
Native apps will probably be limited to 5:5 Pulldown of 24Hz content with 50% BFI (reducing persistance from 41.7ms to 37.5ms (10% reduction).

If you want to go beyond that, you'll need an HTPC with a video card supporting VRR and 48GHz HDMI2.1 (Ultra). That should allow you to use Mark Rejhorn's beta SW package to deliver a 96Hz double-shutter VRR stream with 50% full-frame BFI resulting in persistance of 31.25ms (25% reduction).
fafrd is offline  
post #390 of 977 Old 01-09-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4878
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog8 View Post
LG has a 9 series and 8 series OLED side by side in their booth to show off the AI features. I was hard pressed to see the difference myself.



I chatted at length with an LG rep and he confided there was 'no chance' the new WebOS comes to previous OLED models. Not a huge surprise.



The roll-up TV was pretty cool as a form factor but to my eyes visual quality didn't look as good as the regular OLED panel behind it. At least they learned their lesson and they aren't showing any content on the big video wall which highlights vignetting like they did in 2017.
I was not there in person, but my brother gave me a tour via Facetime (as well as an opportunity to ask two LG reps questions).

The 2019 Video Cave looks like it's double the size of the 2018 version - amazing!

More importanly, I confirmed with an LG rep that the lower 'open' box under the rollable TV is a stand for show only and if you hae your own soubd system, you only need the upper solid box with the roller inside...

LG really hit it out of the park this year - between the 48GHz HDMI2.1 (Ultra) surprise and actually delivering the rollable TV concept they demoed last year, they've undisputably positioned themselves at the forefront of the TV industry this year. Bravo LG (again ).
fafrd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off