LG To Unveil 8K, ALPHA 9 Gen 2 Processor & HDMI 2.1 TVs at CES 2019 - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 480Likes

post #241 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Shouldn't the R9 be called a sliding tv instead of a rolling tv, it can't roll like a paper sheet, what it can do slide down inside a slot, so sliding oled would be a better description. And i dont think i remember seeing the R9 mentioned in the original LG press release or the model mentioned on lg's u.s site, is this is an actual tv or a prototype?
venus933 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Its very hard to tell from the pictures... but they look to be the same design as last years 8 series models...

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
post #243 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Shouldn't the R9 be called a sliding tv instead of a rolling tv, it can't roll like a paper sheet, what it can do slide down inside a slot, so sliding oled would be a better description. And i dont think i remember seeing the R9 mentioned in the original LG press release or the model mentioned on lg's u.s site, is this is an actual tv or a prototype?

LG called it R at the press conference and yes it goes on sale this year:

https://www.cnet.com/news/lgs-rollab...e-in-2019-ces/

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1546885583

Last edited by ALMA; 01-07-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The page for the B9 says it has the same processor. I wonder if it will just be aesthetics that differentiate the B9 from the C9 again this year or if there are any missing features. There's no tech specs for any of the TVs, so maybe it's a typo that the processor section was copied to the B9 page.
post #245 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Someone needs to tell LG that 65 inches isn't "Immersive"
africanlivedit likes this.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #246 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 325
post #247 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Oled is best viewed in a dark room so why care about AR filters? Even the best AR filters will not shun light completely. Among AR flters, samsung's Q9 and Q8 lcd have the best on the market, but lcd's are better run in a bright room where AR filters would matter. You are not maximizing oled's performance if you're not viewing in a dark room. Watch sandra bullock floating in space in Gravity, in a dark room you totally lose all the surroundings, it's just a night sky visible, such a great effect can only be had in a dark room.
Someone cant want high performance in both bright and dark environments? Most middle and working class folks have one primary viewing environment such as a living room that is used for daytime general viewing, sports, parties and gatherings, etc, and also for night time viewing with the lights down. An OLED is perfect for these scenarios. It might not get as bright as a high nit premium LCD but it gets plenty bright for most situations, as bright or brighter than most TVs in the pre HDR era, and has notably wider viewing angles than any LCD. So better AR filters are always welcome. And better AR filters may also improve dark room performance if they allow for higher brightness, and for the majority (even videophiles) who dont have their walls coated in non-reflective black fabric or painted a neutral flat grey--ie for those who may get reflections from screen to wall back to screen even in a dark room.
Ozymandis likes this.
post #248 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
Someone cant want high performance in both bright and dark environments? Most middle and working class folks have one primary viewing environment such as a living room that is used for daytime general viewing, sports, parties and gatherings, etc, and also for night time viewing with the lights down. An OLED is perfect for these scenarios. It might not get as bright as a high nit premium LCD but it gets plenty bright for most situations, as bright or brighter than most TVs in the pre HDR era, and has notably wider viewing angles than any LCD. So better AR filters are always welcome. And better AR filters may also improve dark room performance if they allow for higher brightness, and for the majority (even videophiles) who dont have their walls coated in non-reflective black fabric or painted a neutral flat grey--ie for those who may get reflections from screen to wall back to screen even in a dark room.
Living rooms are a compromise solution and certainly not the best if you want to do critical movie watching, they are fine for cable tv viewing where black perception is not top priority. Oled will still look very good in a moderately lit room, but like i said you only 'maximize' the performance of oled in a dark room, and that is true. would you run a movie projector in a lit room? And just like there are people who only have a living room, there are also people who have a dedicated theater room or media room, me included. my theater room would not be helped by any ar filter, it also doesn't have a black fabric on walls but there are no reflections in the room it's a matte finish, and it is here where oled turns a beast. i watched gravity when my oled arrived at my house first in the living room, i hadn't shifted the oled to the theater room yet, then once i moved it and saw the movie again, that was when the wow moments began, there was a gulf of difference i felt watching the same movie in a pitch black room. people who dont run oled in a dark room are missing out , not that they are not getting great performance, oled still performs very good in a lit room but like i said about maximizing performance, dark room is where it's at.
post #249 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMA View Post
Well, still the useless soundbar for the W-models, can't we get a useful break-out box for those of us who have already spent $$$ on amps & speakers? And that will fit in our AV consoles? And, maybe in-wall certified for California-USA?

But, what I really want is an OLED PC monitor, but, nothing since the 17" Sony.

erik g
post #250 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Living rooms are a compromise solution and certainly not the best if you want to do critical movie watching, they are fine for cable tv viewing where black perception is not top priority. Oled will still look very good in a moderately lit room, but like i said you only 'maximize' the performance of oled in a dark room, and that is true. would you run a movie projector in a lit room? And just like there are people who only have a living room, there are also people who have a dedicated theater room or media room, me included. my theater room would not be helped by any ar filter, it also doesn't have a black fabric on walls but there are no reflections in the room it's a matte finish, and it is here where oled turns a beast. i watched gravity when my oled arrived at my house first in the living room, i hadn't shifted the oled to the theater room yet, then once i moved it and saw the movie again, that was when the wow moments began, there was a gulf of difference i felt watching the same movie in a pitch black room. people who dont run oled in a dark room are missing out , not that they are not getting great performance, oled still performs very good in a lit room but like i said about maximizing performance, dark room is where it's at.
I never said a dedicated room is not best--of course it is. But you asked "Oled is best viewed in a dark room so why care about AR filters?" -- and i gave the most common place an OLED will be installed, and the only option for many, as the reason. Your question is very similar to asking "An OLED looks best calibrated with a 3d lut box so why worry about having an accurate Cinema preset or functional 20pt WB controls?" And for most people, a 3dlut would be more feasible than a dedicated room.
post #251 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I wonder if the new 'smoother motion' feature is dependent upon HDMI 2.1 (and the corresponding high GB flow/120 hz and therefore limited to 2.1 sources) or if the new gen2 chip has anything to do with it.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #252 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfan9 View Post
I never said a dedicated room is not best--of course it is. But you asked "Oled is best viewed in a dark room so why care about AR filters?" -- and i gave the most common place an OLED will be installed, and the only option for many, as the reason. Your question is very similar to asking "An OLED looks best calibrated with a 3d lut box so why worry about having an accurate Cinema preset or functional 20pt WB controls?" And for most people, a 3dlut would be more feasible than a dedicated room.
The most common choice for people watching in living rooms is an lcd tv anyway, not oled. Now if you're trying to say most people who buy oleds just end up putting them in living rooms, i'd like to know what are you basing this upon.
post #253 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 226
These are also going to have built-in test pattern generators for calibration and the ability to do custom HDR curves

https://referencehometheater.com/201...ing-explained/
RichB, gorman42, cockatiel and 1 others like this.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #254 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:10 PM

^Custom tone mapping curves have been demanded by some people, vincent teoh should be happy to learn about it.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #255 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Awesomeness....

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #256 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:17 PM

1:48 = best oled pq
post #257 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Exclamation Not accurate, bjaurelio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
The page for the B9 says it has the same processor. I wonder if it will just be aesthetics that differentiate the B9 from the C9 again this year or if there are any missing features. There's no tech specs for any of the TVs, so maybe it's a typo that the processor section was copied to the B9 page.
You have written this incorrectly or your knowledge is inaccurate. It is NOT "just aesthetics that differentiate" the B and C models (you wrote "again this year"). There is an entirely DIFFERENT processor in the B from the C in 2018.
post #258 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Ok guys, so the question most people probably want to know: Shall I get a C8 right now or are any of these TVs worth waiting for to drop in price towards the end of the year?
FarriorMVP likes this.
post #259 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

You have written this incorrectly or your knowledge is inaccurate. It is NOT "just aesthetics that differentiate" the B and C models (you wrote "again this year"). There is an entirely DIFFERENT processor in the B from the C in 2018.
Last year there was a difference in processor, just like 2016. However, in 2017, there was no difference in processor. That year, the only difference was aesthetics. I'm curious if they're reverting back to that or if the B9 is mistakenly listed on the website as having the new processor.
post #260 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend179 View Post
Ok guys, so the question most people probably want to know: Shall I get a C8 right now or are any of these TVs worth waiting for to drop in price towards the end of the year?

I would certainly go for the latter since these models are more future proof than the C8 it seems. Surely there will always be something better afterwards, but HDMI 2.1 is a very nice thing to have and a lot of members on this board were waiting for it.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #261 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I wonder if the inclusion of VRR in the 2019 models will carry with it Quick Media Switching. Reading here it seems the two are linked: https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/index.aspx
Quote:
QMS uses the VRR mechanism to eliminate the blackout period when all devices in the HDMI connection chain change video modes. As long as the resolution remains the same and only the frame rate changes, QMS will smoothly switch between media rates. For example, when looking at trailers from a streaming service, some are likely in 24Hz, some in 50Hz, and some in 60Hz. Every time a different frame rate trailer is selected, the entire system must change its clocking and re-sync, causing an A/V blackout (a “bonk”). Knowing that a change-of-video mode causes bonks, streaming services add a built-in delay so that users do not miss the first part of the trailer. Or optionally, they output everything at the same frame rate—which requires either the streaming service to provide single-frequency streams or the streaming box to perform the conversion. QMS eliminates bonks by using the VRR mechanism to change frame rates, allowing rapid, smooth changes from a nominal 60Hz rate to any media rate below it (down to 24Hz).

Further proof, in any case, that the HDMI Forum has made a mess of 2.1 branding. People left wondering whether functionality is included or not is exactly the opposite of what standards are created for...

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #262 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlegend179 View Post

The real question is going to come down to the content you watch and how you connect it. Video games and sports should have better motion. HDMI 2.1 only matters for VRR, eARC, or high frame rate PC gaming. If those are important to you, the C9 might be better. Otherwise, the C8 and C9 will look almost identical playing 4k movies, streaming video, and cable/OTA broadcast.
FarriorMVP likes this.
post #263 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
These are also going to have built-in test pattern generators for calibration and the ability to do custom HDR curves
https://referencehometheater.com/201...ing-explained/
Well, this is kind of a game changer if we talk about the economics of DIY calibration.
WiFi-Spy and cockatiel like this.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #264 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
Quote:
Otherwise, the C8 and C9 will look almost identical playing 4k movies, streaming video, and cable/OTA broadcast.

How on Earth can you possibly know that...?!
gorman42 and nlpearman like this.

Shopping List:
TV: Samsung Q90R, or LG C9, or Sony ...
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820, or Sony X800M, or Pioneer Elite LX500
Soundbar: Samsung Q90R, or Sennheiser Ambeo, or...
AVR and Speakers: Marantz 8012, or... and GE Triton Reference, or...
post #265 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
When is pricing on the new sets usually announced?
post #266 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
The real question is going to come down to the content you watch and how you connect it. Video games and sports should have better motion. HDMI 2.1 only matters for VRR, eARC, or high frame rate PC gaming. If those are important to you, the C9 might be better. Otherwise, the C8 and C9 will look almost identical playing 4k movies, streaming video, and cable/OTA broadcast.
Good point, I do watch a lot of sports though so I'll wait and see how much better motion turns out to be once the reviews start coming in. Apple Air play is also a nice touch especially if you're invested in Apple's ecosystem like I am.
post #267 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
How on Earth can you possibly know that...?!
The panel has had very few changes. The main change is the upgrade to HDMI 2.1 with the new processor. There's a new anti-reflective coating, but if that made significant changes we would be hearing more about it. If it's the same OLED stack with upgraded electronics then the PQ will be very close, just like the last two years were minor upgrades to PQ.
post #268 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stay away from the LG 2019 OLED Models

In my opinion, unless you are getting the 88inch model why on earth would you wanna spend a leg and a kidney on the 77inch W9 or even the 77inch C9. They don't even support 8K so how on earth are these big screens supposed to FULLY utilize their HDMI 2.1 feature that LG is trying to sell you. Yet they are including it in a 75inch LED model, are you kidding me? Yes, I feel 8K really matters on such screen sizes that are trying to push HDMI 2.1 and are going to be very costly.

The 77inch models make no sense to me at all, are any of you thinking of buying them when you could easily get the 77inch W8 or C8 for an even better price (the prices will drop further once the new models go on sale allowing you to access the real-estate size of 77inch OLED aka the most prominent change when switching from 65inch or below). Yes, picture quality will obviously improve in the 2019 models but by how much considering its only through software and not hardware, I'm assuming paying less and getting 77inch is a sweeter deal given OLED's already stunning picture. Since the 77inch 2019 models don't even support 8K and there's barely content that takes advantage of HDMI 2.1 what's the point of future proofing?

Also no top emission OLED (and even no word on QD-enhanced OLED so far). It seems as if LG are not keen on improving hardware to improve picture quality meanwhile Samsung showed off a consumer MicroLED prototype that I wouldn't be surprised goes on sale next year. I love my 65inch E6 OLED but would love to upgrade to a 77 inch TV (I think the larger screen size can truly make a world of a difference and why should I pay more for a C9 or even C10 when the C8 gives me what I want most at the best price). Besides, I'd like to enjoy HDMI 2.1 and 8K with a superior Tv technology such as MicroLED or self/electro-emissive QD and by the time these superior technologies are available, we will at least have content that can take advantage of HDMI 2.1 and 8K (that's efficient future proofing in my opinion).
post #269 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Four words: 4k 60-120Hz variable refresh

Four more words: adaptive sync on 2080Ti
post #270 of 977 Old 01-07-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I totally disagree with your argument here. I'm primarily a gamer. On my PC setup I've been running variable refresh rate for a year and a half now. It's difficult to go from VRR back to fixed refresh displays. So I'm going to be an early buyer of the LG C9 this year. 8K is fairly meaningless to me, as true 4K games are rare on console, and we are just getting to where PCs can run in 4K without a lot of visual compromises. VRR is absolutely a killer feature for gamers.

Also, those other technologies you mention are nowhere near ready for the home yet. OLED on the other hand is a mature technology that you can buy today. You're going to be waiting a long, long time for MicroLED or emissive QD... the rest of us will enjoy our OLEDs in the meantime.

LG OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One X | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Pioneer 5020FD | Panasonic 46S30 | Hitachi P50V701
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page