post #811 of 840 Old 06-19-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
All the necessary measurements can be found on the Sony SU-WL855 wall mount bracket installation manual:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../D8861001M.pdf

Check on pages 8, 9, 15 and 16.
Thank you very much! FYI - It's 22" (39.25-17.25) from top mounting holes to top of the display.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 840 Old 06-30-2019, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Looking at the 77A9G and trying to figure out placement and mount height options/configurations with my Sanus VLT5 mount. From pics I've seen, it looks as though the mounting holes are closer to the bottom of the panel, not centered, correct? If so, can someone tell me the distance from the top edge of the TV to the top mounting holes? Thank you.
i had a sanus mount, not exactly the same as yours but it fit my previous TV well with no issues at all. it was the sanus VLF525. i had the A9G installed last monday and opted to keep the sanus mount but i was unable to see it prior to the install guys leaving. i was disappointed when i got home, for some reason with the A9G the TV tilted downwards with the top of the screen 1in farther from the wall then the bottom. it looked to me like there was too much play in the mount and that the sanus braces ended up too close together and that contributed to top of TV flexing downward. (hope that makes sense).

i subsequently ordered the Sony SU-WL855 and replaced the sanus mount. now the TV is perfectly vertical with zero play. with the sony mount it also sits much much closer to the wall. installers had never used the sony mount before and commented that it was super slick and the best theyd used.

ymmv but my sanus mount did not fit the A9G well.
post #813 of 840 Old 06-30-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutcat View Post
i had a sanus mount, not exactly the same as yours but it fit my previous TV well with no issues at all. it was the sanus VLF525. i had the A9G installed last monday and opted to keep the sanus mount but i was unable to see it prior to the install guys leaving. i was disappointed when i got home, for some reason with the A9G the TV tilted downwards with the top of the screen 1in farther from the wall then the bottom. it looked to me like there was too much play in the mount and that the sanus braces ended up too close together and that contributed to top of TV flexing downward. (hope that makes sense).

i subsequently ordered the Sony SU-WL855 and replaced the sanus mount. now the TV is perfectly vertical with zero play. with the sony mount it also sits much much closer to the wall. installers had never used the sony mount before and commented that it was super slick and the best theyd used.

ymmv but my sanus mount did not fit the A9G well.

Thanks for info...I don’t mind using a different mount, I’m trying to use the same holes or wall mount in order to keep from drilling more holes in the wall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 840 Old 06-30-2019, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
i hear ya. that was my plan too. but the tv flexed on the Sanus mount, just wanted to let you know that. i think the Sony mount is made with the A9G in mind and probably made to counter that flex. but like i said YMMV. hope it works and i had zero flex on the Sony LCD i had prior to the A9G.
post #815 of 840 Old 07-13-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,
Today i recieved my A9G 65 inch and straight away i noticed something wrong.
My android main tv menu with the youtube app netflix app...all seems a little blurry and not sharp even when turning all the contrast settings to the max.
when i watch normal 1080p hd clips on youtube they all seems not sharp and blurry a little.
When i was browsing the tv menus and under Settings-Display and sound-screen...every option there is grayed out and when i press it it says feature not available.
I have tried almost everything and just do not seem to find a solution.
is it the upscaling chip that is failing or who knows.
if anyone has any idea it would help me a lott
Thanks
post #816 of 840 Old 07-17-2019, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Did anybody seen AG9 side by side with LG C9, is there any differences between the two regarding motion if so are differences subtle or bigger, i am sensitive to motion but if differences are not that big i would reconsider a cheaper Oled, unfortunately i don't have an opportunity to see it live at store compared to LG so i can't know for sure..
post #817 of 840 Old 07-17-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Skim View Post
Did anybody seen AG9 side by side with LG C9, is there any differences between the two regarding motion if so are differences subtle or bigger, i am sensitive to motion but if differences are not that big i would reconsider a cheaper Oled, unfortunately i don't have an opportunity to see it live at store compared to LG so i can't know for sure..
The C9 is using a new chip set this year and has gotten closer to the A9G in the area of motion but is still behind by some. Do yourself a favor and watch Vincent Teoh's review of both sets on Youtube...
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
post #818 of 840 Old 07-17-2019, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Why do we hear the same every calendar year, the c9 has gotten cllose to the a9g this year, last year it was the c8 has gotten close to a9f. it's time that lg stops playing catchup, invests much more time, money and resources into video processing , like sony and panasonic does, and surpasses sony in processing. But i just suspect that next year we may still be hearing the same arguments 'it's close to the sony'.
post #819 of 840 Old 07-17-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
This question cannot be answered until you explain what do you mean by the word 'subtle'. People tend to use this word ambiguously and it means different things to different people. What are you expecting from motion and what kind of differences matter to you?
post #820 of 840 Old 07-17-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Why do we hear the same every calendar year, the c9 has gotten cllose to the a9g this year, last year it was the c8 has gotten close to a9f. it's time that lg stops playing catchup, invests much more time, money and resources into video processing , like sony and panasonic does, and surpasses sony in processing. But i just suspect that next year we may still be hearing the same arguments 'it's close to the sony'.
Sony has something LG doesn't have that money can't just fix: Experience in image processing from doing it for years and having a movie studio. Some things you can't just buy, you have to figure it out and it takes time to learn.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #821 of 840 Old 07-17-2019, 12:03 PM

Having hollywood connection certainly helps sony, panasonic also provides filming equipment and professional monitors to hollywood and their oleds even employ a hollywood colorist to fine tune the colors during the development process. lg could do the same, contract a hollywood guy so that their color accuracy out of the box gets superior, in which panasonic is king right now. It just seems to me lg doesnt devote as much resources into core processing, and they waste too much resources into marketing and "fancy" features. They want the prettiest looking operating system on their tv and the best gaming features, remember when tv's used to be just about core video processing and none of this 'smart tv' silliness even existed? And what about marketing , all korean companies (samsung too) employ too much marketing, alpha 9 gen. 2 intelligent processor with AI thinQ. My point is, if they utilized all that time, money and effort that they spend on marketing and fancy features towards improving their core video processing, it would serve them better and could help them compete on an equal or better footing against sony and pana. As it stands now, i just don't think they really put in as much effort, not on the same level as japanese manufacturers do.
post #822 of 840 Old 07-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
This question cannot be answered until you explain what do you mean by the word 'subtle'. People tend to use this word ambiguously and it means different things to different people. What are you expecting from motion and what kind of differences matter to you?
Sorry i am from croatia so my english its not the best.. What i meant are differences small or bigger regarding motion, i am expecting to be satisfied with smooth fluid movement when watching movies, documentary shows, sport and similar things, i like that smooth fluid movement just don't know if differences between the two models are noticeable enough to pay for the difference in price.
post #823 of 840 Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry i am from croatia so my english its not the best.. What i meant are differences small or bigger regarding motion, i am expecting to be satisfied with smooth fluid movement when watching movies, documentary shows, sport and similar things, i like that smooth fluid movement just don't know if differences between the two models are noticeable enough to pay for the difference in price.
Motion is a subjective topic so you won't get one answer. If you're not overly critical of motion, the lg still gets the job done fine, the difference isn't big. But to 'motion discerning' people, such as people coming from plasmas, the small advantages in motion matter. I would have just advised you to go look at the two tv's side by side, but you say you can't demo them.

And don't worry about English, English isn't my first lang either ( i speak a couple of regional asian langs that people here wouldn't have heard the name of), i don't speak English at home or office, i just sit on the internet and type in English all day.
Phantom Skim likes this.

Last edited by Menarini; 07-17-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #824 of 840 Old 07-18-2019, 01:35 AM

Thanks for a advice, like u sad LG is good enough and because i have no where to see sony in person i would be buying based on other people opinions which are very different from each other so LG is a saffer bet C8 or C9 i will go see them in person than decide i heard there is not that much of difference because no bfi this year with C9 and some people sayng that upscaling is better which is good because i watch a lot of cable tv content only time from time HDR
post #825 of 840 Old 08-03-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have an issue with voice control over my cable tv box

Have an issue with voice control on the Sony A9G -- to control the cable box (e.g., change channels) with voice commands, the tv mic picks up the voice command and sends it to the Sony remote which then sends the ir signal to the cable box. This means the Sony remote must always be pointing at the cable box for those voice controls to work. For many reasons this is not convenient.

Is there a work-around for this so that the set can pick up the voice command and then send a signal directly to the cable box, bypassing the remote. There does not appear to be an "ir out" port on the tv, only an "ir in".
post #826 of 840 Old 08-04-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Thanks for a advice, like u sad LG is good enough and because i have no where to see sony in person i would be buying based on other people opinions which are very different from each other so LG is a saffer bet C8 or C9 i will go see them in person than decide i heard there is not that much of difference because no bfi this year with C9 and some people sayng that upscaling is better which is good because i watch a lot of cable tv content only time from time HDR
Based on what you wrote above, you should be purchasing a Sony with the superior upscaling (“I watch a lot of cable”) *(“only time from time HDR”) *sic

Your needs fit the Sony A9G.
post #827 of 840 Old 08-04-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4711 Post(s)
Liked: 4237
is it true that the A9G has an HDR peak brightness of ~595 nits?...don't the LG OLED sets have around 720 nits?...why does the Sony get the nod over the LG in 2019?...I know a display is more then just peak brightness but it seems both the LG and Sony have zero blacks and are comparable in most other areas, I'm just curious what makes the A9G most people's winner as the best display of 2019
post #828 of 840 Old 08-04-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked: 5485
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
is it true that the A9G has an HDR peak brightness of ~595 nits?...don't the LG OLED sets have around 720 nits?...why does the Sony get the nod over the LG in 2019?...I know a display is more then just peak brightness but it seems both the LG and Sony have zero blacks and are comparable in most other areas, I'm just curious what makes the A9G most people's winner as the best display of 2019
This is such an old discussion best to watch Vincent's HDTVTEST review of the A9G and he will explain.
jb442386 likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #829 of 840 Old 08-05-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Peak brightness/luminance from a test benchmark can be misleading. Just like with cars, it's not just about horsepower. Torque, gearing, tires, suspension, acceleration etc. all factor in.
jrref likes this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #830 of 840 Old 08-05-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4711 Post(s)
Liked: 4237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
This is such an old discussion best to watch Vincent's HDTVTEST review of the A9G and he will explain.
I just watched his video review of the A9G...good stuff...in the end he did mention though that for Dolby Vision content the LG displays are better but other then that the A9G is definitely one of the best OLED displays...the Panasonic GZ2000 tops both Sony and LG but unfortunately is not available in the USA
post #831 of 840 Old 08-07-2019, 11:55 AM

Do we think Sony will do another Mid-Year refresh like they did last year and implement HDMI 2.1? That is probably the biggest thing holding me back is getting something that in a year or two will not have the hardware necessary for new gaming consoles etc. I also don't upgrade TVs except once ever 3-5 years. Otherwise I guess there is always 2020...
post #832 of 840 Old 08-07-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKKNGHT View Post
Do we think Sony will do another Mid-Year refresh like they did last year and implement HDMI 2.1? That is probably the biggest thing holding me back is getting something that in a year or two will not have the hardware necessary for new gaming consoles etc. I also don't upgrade TVs except once ever 3-5 years. Otherwise I guess there is always 2020...
How important is VRR really though? Most top tier games are locked at stable 30fps.
post #833 of 840 Old 08-07-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKKNGHT View Post
My guess is no, but that's just because I think they do a new chip design every 2 years as far as I can tell and the X1 Ultimate only came out 1 year ago. Of course LG added HDMI 2.1 as an update to their existing chip design, so perhaps Sony could do the same. Of course the 8K Sonys using the X1 Ultimate ought to have HDMI 2.1 to make any sense, so who knows. From what I have read the Z9G does have HDMI 2.1, but I have not read anything about people testing it and how it is doing (those are not anywhere near my budget). Maybe the Z9G uses an add on chip for HDMI 2.1 in addition to the X1 Ultimate. Not sure anyone has taken one apart to check.

Still it seems hard to imagine they would do another 6 month replacement (the A9G came out only slightly over 6 months after the A9F after all), and they have already used the letter for this year (A9H would need to be next year to follow their existing naming practice).

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #834 of 840 Old 08-07-2019, 03:19 PM

I was guessing not, but I think it is not about one specific feature such as VRR, but if there are additional benefits that come down the line. From my IT background I've learned to usually go higher end on the processing side of things and get feature sets that will hold the test of time better. Like processors used in tech today, newer ones come out that run cooler, use less energy, and are also faster. Benefit being a better OS or software on the device and less heat which is obviously the enemy of technology in general.
post #835 of 840 Old 08-17-2019, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Like user Phantom Skim (post #816), I am sensitive to motion. I am currently in the market for a new TV and was checking out Sonys latest TV's, as they are generally known to have good motion capabilities. I saw a video of the A9G (AG9) that probably was supposed to show how good the motion is: youtube.com/watch?v=rZWRuss4FpM. To me, the motion is horrible, as I see small halos around faces and smearing. Pause at 0.37 and look at the grass: the complete left side of the screen is blurry. Is this acceptable behavior for a Sony OLED or are some settings wrong on this TV? If this end result is to be expected, I'm gonna check out the X900F (XF90), that might have a suitable BFI, and the new Philips OLED804 as well (I live in Europe).

Believe it or not, but at the moment, I am still using a very dated Philips CRT that is HD prepared and has a HDMI port. With a new TV, I'd like to keep the excellent motion my current TV has, but with a much better resolution.

Last edited by Altink; 08-17-2019 at 02:17 AM.
post #836 of 840 Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3944 Post(s)
Liked: 3647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altink View Post
Like user Phantom Skim (post #816), I am sensitive to motion. I am currently in the market for a new TV and was checking out Sonys latest TV's, as they are generally known to have good motion capabilities. I saw a video of the A9G (AG9) that probably was supposed to show how good the motion is: youtube.com/watch?v=rZWRuss4FpM. To me, the motion is horrible, as I see small halos around faces and smearing. Pause at 0.37 and look at the grass: the complete left side of the screen is blurry. Is this acceptable behavior for a Sony OLED or are some settings wrong on this TV? If this end result is to be expected, I'm gonna check out the X900F (XF90), that might have a suitable BFI, and the new Philips OLED804 as well (I live in Europe).

Believe it or not, but at the moment, I am still using a very dated Philips CRT that is HD prepared and has a HDMI port. With a new TV, I'd like to keep the excellent motion my current TV has, but with a much better resolution.
It's unwise to judge the motion characteristics of a display from a 50 sec YouTube video, especially one that gives no information about the actual settings being used and the content(bitrate/framerate/resolution) being played.

You need to sit in front of the actual display itself, only then can you make informed decisions about what the display can do with regard to motion.
post #837 of 840 Old 08-17-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3822 Post(s)
Liked: 4696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It's unwise to judge the motion characteristics of a display from a 50 sec YouTube video, especially one that gives no information about the actual settings being used and the content(bitrate/framerate/resolution) being played.

You need to sit in front of the actual display itself, only then can you make informed decisions about what the display can do with regard to motion.
+1. Not to mention that at this point you have no idea what camera, frame rate and resolution was used to shoot the video.
Keenan and gomo657 like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #838 of 840 Old 08-17-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 478
The A9G has the best motion handling of any OLED (at least in the US). I recommend going to a store to actually see one in person before deciding that it isn't good enough in terms of motion, and not rely on a suspect video.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #839 of 840 Old 08-18-2019, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the input! It’s good to check TV’s in a store, I totally agree. There are some problems with it, though: the light conditions are different (much brighter in a store), the TV settings (not every store is keen to let customers play with the settings) and the footage that is shown.

Some time ago, I compared the A8F, the A9F, the LG C9 and the Philips OLED803 in a large store. After some persuasion, the store personnel let me observe a hockey match in SDR on the A8F. A very long cable was needed for this. I wasn’t particularly impressed with the motion, but blamed it on the standard TV settings. This motion was a bit better than on the YouTube video of the A9G, though. In this video, from 8.28, it seems that the motion on an earlier Philips OLED model is better than on the Sony A8F: youtube.com/watch?v=6Q2AMsrirnw.

Philips might have the upper hand on motion then, but the general image quality of the A9F blew me away, wow! More appealing to me than the OLED803 and C9. The HDR footage was impressive with good motion. Reading reviews, it seems the image quality of the A9G should be pretty much the same, but I’d prefer the upright position of the A9G panel. Sadly, the HDR footage in the store doesn’t say anything about 1080i broadcasts or 24p movies, in particular the motion, so I still place some value on video reviews on YouTube. It’s reassuring to read that the motion on the A9G is called ‘best in class’ in the US.
post #840 of 840 Old 08-18-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altink View Post
Thanks for the input! It’s good to check TV’s in a store, I totally agree. There are some problems with it, though: the light conditions are different (much brighter in a store), the TV settings (not every store is keen to let customers play with the settings) and the footage that is shown.

I still place some value on video reviews on YouTube.
You do realize that with YouTube videos, you know even less about how the display was set up, the type and quality of the feed, the lighting conditions, the quality of the camera, and whether there was extreme bias (some have purposefully made a display look bad in order to push a different one).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page