AVS Forum banner

Panasonic GZ2000 OLED

75K views 383 replies 96 participants last post by  mnarcher 
#1 ·
#3 ·
& Australia!

Reactions: Lozin
#5 · (Edited)
The BIGGEST gripe people had with panasonic oled has been addressed. Dolby Vision is now supported.

Good move by panasonic. Bad news is it doesn't seem FZ or EZ would be upgraded to dolby.

But i was very much expecting 2019 panasonic oleds to jump on dolby vision after some of their blu ray players in 2018 started supporting it.

Need some more details about the panel and whether it supports hdmi 2.1.

#6 ·
Btw, why does panasonic every year have to go on announcing tuned by hollywood colorist xyz, this one does the same. and while panasonic's colour preset modes are great out of the box , but who cares which hollywood stalwart tuned it, i dont care. this sounds kinda like a cheap marketing stunt they keep employing.

#8 ·
Well samsung's marketing dept. has been notorious historically, but pana wasn't like that during the days of plasma. When you go to demo the panasonic they have a tag attached in the corner boasting tuned by hollywood professional, maybe they attract some people by saying that, it's irrelevant to me. and not like hollywood does anything great these days anyway.

#11 ·
Not according to that press release info. Shame, on them if they don't especially since Sony is bringing the 77" back this year. It was a mistake that both Sony and Panasonic left out the 77" models last year. Granted I suspect the 77" sales are minuscule compared to the 55" and 65" models but in order to compete with the big LCD displays the 77" was OLED's only player in the game at those sizes.

#12 ·
Vincent at HDTVTEst just posted a brief video. It appears he was able to find out that this won't have a true HDMI 2.1 chipset but will have ALLM for us gamers. No mention of VRR though. Seems the flagship model at least will be limited to 55" and 65". In the other video posted above it would seem there may be other models below the 2000 flagship so I suppose it's possible that line could have a 77" but of course without the video improvements touted for the flagship. I guess we'll have to wait until February to get all of the details.

#18 ·
Vincent at HDTVTEst just posted a brief video. It appears he was able to find out that this won't have a true HDMI 2.1 chipset but will have ALLM for us gamers. No mention of VRR though. Seems the flagship model at least will be limited to 55" and 65". In the other video posted above it would seem there may be other models below the 2000 flagship so I suppose it's possible that line could have a 77" but of course without the video improvements touted for the flagship. I guess we'll have to wait until February to get all of the details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1uXQ_9aAzc
vincent says the first tv in the world that has both hdr10+ and dv, but does that even matter when hdr10+ content is almost non existent? Also if your tv has good dynamic tone mapping hdr option with standard hdr10, hdr10+ is moot.
hdr10+ will never catch up, it will wither like hd dvd ended up against blu ray. Good that panasonic showed sense and started including dolby vision this year, which has ample content on streaming and discs.

The GZ2000 will be panasonic's flagship model, which means with all the sound bells and whistles attached to it and a high price tag, for people who dont care about tv sound, there will be lower priced models available having the same PQ which panasonic will announce at their february event.

#19 ·
In the AVForums video, the Panasonic rep mentions custom panels from LG that result in a 30% increase in APL (average picture level) - I'm assuming the C9's and AG9 (A9G) also get this new panel with 30% increase in brightness. If we assume that is compared to the 2018 panels (LG's C8 panel gets to about 800 nits, not sure how bright the Panasonic panel from 2018 got) then the 2019 panels should hit over 1000 nits, which is a good bump in brightness. Comparing the C7 Panel to the C8 panel, the C8 is only about 15% brighter.

Even if the Panasonic panel was closer to the 2017 brightness at 700 nits, that is ~900 nits which is still improved although more in line with the 2017 LG to 2018 LG brightness jump (about 15%).

#21 ·
It can always be imported from Canada if someone wants it that bad. I am surprised that Panasonic decided to release their flagship UB9000 player here but keeps giving us the middle finger for TVs.

#28 ·
They are generally very late to realease their gear, specially here in Canada. 2018 Oleds weren't released until end of September/ beginning of October.

#39 ·
Will definitely be a beast of a TV.

^I would rather save money on the GZ2000 and wait for the other lower priced oled models announced at their february event. The flagship pana oleds always have a more bells and whistles sound system attached to them but the same PQ, because of which they jack up the price significantly. It was the same with the FZ and EZ series. A technics soundbar isnt worth it to anyone like me running a 5k+ surround system. There should be a GZ1000( or similar model) with same PQ announced in february.

I will demo out the new pana oleds, but these go on sale much later than lg oleds go, i won't expect a demo unit to go on display before at least june. There is dolby vision this year and a generational processor upgrade , hcx to hcx pro intelligent. Both are significant improvements.

The disadvantages to lg oleds would be no hdmi 2.1 , a higher price than lg even on the lower GZ models, and waiting till late in the year to buy one.
Yes, definitely the way to go for most is to get the model without the sound bar, for those that have a dedicated surround sound as it will have the same picture quality. Those that live in small spaces or don't use or want a dedicated surround sound system, will benefit the flagship model.

#35 ·
^I would rather save money on the GZ2000 and wait for the other lower priced oled models announced at their february event. The flagship pana oleds always have a more bells and whistles sound system attached to them but the same PQ, because of which they jack up the price significantly. It was the same with the FZ and EZ series. A technics soundbar isnt worth it to anyone like me running a 5k+ surround system. There should be a GZ1000( or similar model) with same PQ announced in february.

I will demo out the new pana oleds, but these go on sale much later than lg oleds go, i won't expect a demo unit to go on display before at least june. There is dolby vision this year and a generational processor upgrade , hcx to hcx pro intelligent. Both are significant improvements.

The disadvantages to lg oleds would be no hdmi 2.1 , a higher price than lg even on the lower GZ models, and waiting till late in the year to buy one.

#42 ·
Does anyone know if the Dolby Atmos will be lossy or lossless?
I'm guessing if one is playing content off Netflix and Amazon (from tv apps) it will be lossy?
All external media sources plugged into the TV will also be lossy? I'm guessing cause of the HDMI2.1 limitations...

Still a tad bit confused with why they didn't go with HDMI2.2...Perhaps they'll do a firmware update for some of the ports to support eARC..

#46 ·
Panasonic GZ2000

Panasonic are positioning themselves as the high end of OLED with out-of-the box calibration and higher brightness due to proprietary cooling.

How much of this (the cooling) is real, and how much is like CD players with «anti vibration chassis» (ie BS)? Will be measurably better in a perceptually significant way? Do you think that it will have cooling fans?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.