Alienware OLED Monitor - 4K/120 Hz 55" DP 1.4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Callsign_Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Alienware OLED Monitor - 4K/120 Hz 55" DP 1.4

Alienware's 55-inch 120Hz OLED Gaming Display Delivers Inky Blacks And Vibrant Colors





https://hothardware.com/news/alienwa...gaming-display
Callsign_Vega is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 61 Old 01-08-2019, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Callsign_Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Now us PC gamer's don't have to wait for HDMI 2.1 GPU's to come down the pipe to get our OLED fix! Displayport 1.4 baby. 2H 2019 cannot come soon enough!
ratbuddy likes this.
Callsign_Vega is offline  
post #3 of 61 Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/08/...aming-monitor/ says displayport 1.4 and VRR up to 120Hz at 4K.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 61 Old 01-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What about Burn-In from gaming
Sam97 is offline  
post #5 of 61 Old 01-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam97 View Post
What about Burn-In from gaming
Or even just the task bar.
deadacclaim is offline  
post #6 of 61 Old 01-09-2019, 09:20 AM
Member
 
AmonRaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great news BUT its gonna cost more than lg c9 which makes it stupid.
AmonRaa is online now  
post #7 of 61 Old 01-09-2019, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Callsign_Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam97 View Post
What about Burn-In from gaming
Oh; ya mean the imaginary non-abuse burn-in that everyone constantly embellishes? You mean the burn-in, that after 6,000 hours of playing the SAME game with the HUD on tested to have ZERO burn-in in the latest RTINGS report? That burn-in?
Callsign_Vega is offline  
post #8 of 61 Old 01-09-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,631
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 2244
Do people actually put a 55" gaming monitor on their desk?

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
drewTT is offline  
post #9 of 61 Old 01-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega View Post
Oh; ya mean the imaginary non-abuse burn-in that everyone constantly embellishes? You mean the burn-in, that after 6,000 hours of playing the SAME game with the HUD on tested to have ZERO burn-in in the latest RTINGS report? That burn-in?
They said themselves that the lack of BI might be because of the game not being very saturated, including its HUD. The report was better than expected, but given how the CNN stuff has burnt in it seems likely it's saturation-related, no?
zetruz is offline  
post #10 of 61 Old 01-09-2019, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
plasma_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetruz View Post
They said themselves that the lack of BI might be because of the game not being very saturated, including its HUD. The report was better than expected, but given how the CNN stuff has burnt in it seems likely it's saturation-related, no?
I think one of the first questions to ask is how many hours do you spend playing a single game? I know there are some that can rack up thousands of hours in a single game, but most people I've known will give a game from a few minutes to a few hundred hours, a total non issue based on the Rtings test. On the worst case CNN there was no visible issues until, i think, 800 hours and if you follow the burn in thread here I think people decided issues that would present themselves in content was 2500-3000 hours. Making a few assumptions on the CNN TV's, if you adjust the brightness to more average levels its probably 4000-6000 hours before its a real issue, Rtings low brightness CNN was 200 nits and I am assuming an average person sets the brightness to 100-150 nits.

With all the available evidence I have seen, the only conclusion I can make is OLED screen burn is highly unlikely for people that use it for varied content.
fafrd and zetruz like this.
plasma_fan is offline  
post #11 of 61 Old 01-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I would be nervous about heavy multiplayer/esports games with an OLED. But I doubt that kind of gamer would be interested in this display. Most of the single player games I've played recently (GoW, TR, Uncharted, RDR) have temporary HUDs that can be turned off completely if need be so I never worry about burn in.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #12 of 61 Old 01-10-2019, 07:34 AM
Member
 
dave7zombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
While I'm interested, this thing is gonna cost at least 2 times more than LG's 2019 [email protected] VRR OLED & LED's. Why? Because Dell is (treating) it as a "monitor" instead of a TV.
dave7zombie is offline  
post #13 of 61 Old 01-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Well we just learned that Nvidia's VRR is only going to be over displayport for now. Source:



Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #14 of 61 Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The last day or two tech outlets have been reporting that this thing is HDMI 2.1 now

Any source for this? I watched the press conference and a few show floor interviews and nothing about HDMI 2.1
olqxqipz is offline  
post #15 of 61 Old 01-12-2019, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Its being shown as a prototype so anything is possible. They've only announced a vague release for second half of year.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #16 of 61 Old 01-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Member
 
Alexious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by olqxqipz View Post
The last day or two tech outlets have been reporting that this thing is HDMI 2.1 now

Any source for this? I watched the press conference and a few show floor interviews and nothing about HDMI 2.1
They're pushing [email protected] for this, so for that to happen on HDMI as well they need 2.1. Besides, this is an LG OLED panel and this year's panels support HDMI 2.1.
Alexious is offline  
post #17 of 61 Old 01-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexious View Post
They're pushing [email protected] for this, so for that to happen on HDMI as well they need 2.1. Besides, this is an LG OLED panel and this year's panels support HDMI 2.1.
Its specifically being sold as a PC monitor and monitors use Displayport. It will probably have HDMI too but they may not see any point to push for 2.1



And the oled panel has nothing to do with the hdmi version. Panasonic is using the new panel and they still have 2.0.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #18 of 61 Old 01-16-2019, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Callsign_Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Wonder if I should pre-order a C9 or just wait for this Alienware since HDMI 2.1 GPU's aren't anywhere near being released.
Callsign_Vega is offline  
post #19 of 61 Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Do people actually put a 55" gaming monitor on their desk?

I'm going to mount mine on an arm over my desk, and use a 27" monitor as my primary desktop display. So the answer to that is "yes" lol.

LG OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One X | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Pioneer 5020FD | Panasonic 46S30 | Hitachi P50V701
Ozymandis is offline  
post #20 of 61 Old 01-17-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Do people actually put a 55" gaming monitor on their desk?
I did for a while. It was just a little bit too much for comfort though. I currently have a 49" 4K which feels just right.


I could never go back to anything smaller though. Even if it means giving up higher refresh rates.
Superdog likes this.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #21 of 61 Old 01-17-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,631
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 2244
I get a headache just thinking about sitting three feet from a giant computer monitor. Does it double as a tanning booth? lol

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
drewTT is offline  
post #22 of 61 Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,113
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_fan View Post
I think one of the first questions to ask is how many hours do you spend playing a single game? I know there are some that can rack up thousands of hours in a single game, but most people I've known will give a game from a few minutes to a few hundred hours, a total non issue based on the Rtings test. On the worst case CNN there was no visible issues until, i think, 800 hours and if you follow the burn in thread here I think people decided issues that would present themselves in content was 2500-3000 hours. Making a few assumptions on the CNN TV's, if you adjust the brightness to more average levels its probably 4000-6000 hours before its a real issue, Rtings low brightness CNN was 200 nits and I am assuming an average person sets the brightness to 100-150 nits.

With all the available evidence I have seen, the only conclusion I can make is OLED screen burn is highly unlikely for people that use it for varied content.
Unless, of course, the static elements across multiple different games, are in the same location on the screen. The static elements themselves may be different between different games, but if their location on screen is the same, then it could be that a few thousand hours across several games (a few hundred hours each) could lead to burn-in. The TV doesn't care if it's a single game or not. As long as there's static content, especially bright/saturated, in more or less the same area of the screen, then the risk of burn-in is there.

LG OLED65B6P
no1special is offline  
post #23 of 61 Old 01-18-2019, 07:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
okay but what kind of image processing does it have?

I use my TV for both gaming and watching content.it can't be only good at gaming.

If only Sony and LG would pull their heads out and properly support a wider range of custom resolutions and refresh rates on their TVs.

A1E, a9f soon
Interpolation is offline  
post #24 of 61 Old 01-21-2019, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpolation View Post
okay but what kind of image processing does it have?

I use my TV for both gaming and watching content.it can't be only good at gaming.

If only Sony and LG would pull their heads out and properly support a wider range of custom resolutions and refresh rates on their TVs.
The new LGs will support 4K 120hz input with VRR. All you need is a video card to match.


Why do you need custom resolutions? The panel only has one resolution.
lsorensen and JediMindTrick like this.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #25 of 61 Old 01-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
The new LGs will support 4K 120hz input with VRR. All you need is a video card to match.


Why do you need custom resolutions? The panel only has one resolution.
I'd like to output 1440 P and 120 Hz for gaming and for madvr/svp support. that is in my opinion a sweet spot between resolution and frame rate that my 2080 TI can handle. no single video card is doing 4k 120 Hz, not in the latest games or when using madvr/svp on high settings.

unfortunately TVs seem to think this resolution and frame rate doesn't exist.

A1E, a9f soon
Interpolation is offline  
post #26 of 61 Old 01-22-2019, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpolation View Post
I'd like to output 1440 P and 120 Hz for gaming and for madvr/svp support. that is in my opinion a sweet spot between resolution and frame rate that my 2080 TI can handle. no single video card is doing 4k 120 Hz, not in the latest games or when using madvr/svp on high settings.

unfortunately TVs seem to think this resolution and frame rate doesn't exist.
Because it kinda doesn't. The standards are 1080p, 4K and now 8K. 1440p is just some funky thing the pc monitor people came up with.



But I don't see the point in buying a 4K display if you are only going to use less than half its resolution.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
post #27 of 61 Old 01-23-2019, 01:24 AM
Member
 
Alexious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Because it kinda doesn't. The standards are 1080p, 4K and now 8K. 1440p is just some funky thing the pc monitor people came up with.



But I don't see the point in buying a 4K display if you are only going to use less than half its resolution.
Exactly. Besides, while it is true that the RTX 2080Ti won't be able to do [email protected] in modern games, thanks to VRR we'll be able to enjoy [email protected],66,67,75 et cetera as the frame rate fluctuates without hiccups, so it will still be an improvement over fixed [email protected]
Alexious is offline  
post #28 of 61 Old 01-23-2019, 06:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Because it kinda doesn't. The standards are 1080p, 4K and now 8K. 1440p is just some funky thing the pc monitor people came up with.



But I don't see the point in buying a 4K display if you are only going to use less than half its resolution.
madvr on the 2080 TI can't handle 4K upscaling at 120fps (interpolation done by SVP) on high settings. it can barely handle 4K 60 FPS with some settings turned down. I don't know how familiar you are with madvr.

1440 P is a reasonable compromise, since upscaling algorithms hit their practical limits at about twice the resolution. that means upscaling 1080 P past 1440 P hits heavy diminishing returns. madvr upscales to 1440 P, and then the TV does the rest of the upscaling to 4K internally. in my testing this is nearly visually indistinguishable from having madvr fully upscale to 4K, and the 2080 TI can handle it without dropping frames.

obviously when watching native 4K content I would have the resolution at 4K. but believe it or not there's still not much native 4K content out there.

as far as gaming, if I prefer frame rate over resolution, I should be able to set a resolution between 1080 P and 4K to achieve this.

A1E, a9f soon

Last edited by Interpolation; 01-23-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Interpolation is offline  
post #29 of 61 Old 01-23-2019, 10:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NL
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpolation View Post
I'd like to output 1440 P and 120 Hz for gaming and for madvr/svp support. that is in my opinion a sweet spot between resolution and frame rate that my 2080 TI can handle. no single video card is doing 4k 120 Hz, not in the latest games or when using madvr/svp on high settings.

unfortunately TVs seem to think this resolution and frame rate doesn't exist.
If I select any resolution from 1200p to 1600p it is upscaled by the graphics card to 2160p, so native 1440p support by the TV is not really needed. The upscaling isn't very taxing for the graphics card and performance should be a lot better than with native 2160p. Sure, it would be nice if current OLEDS supported [email protected], but with the 2019 models you can do it with 2160p and thus with 1440p and upscaling as well.
Vinz80 is offline  
post #30 of 61 Old 01-23-2019, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
bryantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpolation View Post
madvr on the 2080 TI can't handle 4K upscaling at 120fps (interpolation done by SVP) on high settings. it can barely handle 4K 60 FPS with some settings turned down. I don't know how familiar you are with madvr.

1440 P is a reasonable compromise, since upscaling algorithms hit their practical limits at about twice the resolution. that means upscaling 1080 P past 1440 P hits heavy diminishing returns. madvr upscales to 1440 P, and then the TV does the rest of the upscaling to 4K internally. in my testing this is nearly visually indistinguishable from having madvr fully upscale to 4K, and the 2080 TI can handle it without dropping frames.

obviously when watching native 4K content I would have the resolution at 4K. but believe it or not there's still not much native 4K content out there.

as far as gaming, if I prefer frame rate over resolution, I should be able to set a resolution between 1080 P and 4K to achieve this.
So you don't have 4K content but you have 120fps content??


Why in the world do you need a video renderer to run 120fps? I'm sure you can see why no hardware maker would cater to such a specific use case.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
bryantc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off