LG not honoring 90 day repair warranty on OLED - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs down LG not honoring 90 day repair warranty on OLED

I'm so pissed at LG right now, so this is a partial venting and partly to let others know about LGs warranty practice.

Long story short, I purchased an 65EF9500 at the end of 2015 as a new 2016 model, this is when the panels were first introduced and we spent $5500+tax. We finished building our theater space and got the TV hung up about 6 months later. The TV has barely been used since then and back in July 2018 the main board failed shortly after turning on the TV for the first time in a long time. The TV had less than 200 hours use, probably closer to 100 hours - we rarely used it, preferring to use a projector for movies instead. Anyway, I called LG, explained all this and they gave me a 1 time good will warranty to repair the TV. I was surprised and happy. Problem was diagnosed to be the main board, which they sent a tech out to replace in Aug 2018. Immediately after I find the remote doesn't work, so I call LG support and they have me re-pair the remote (it's bluetooth for everything except power on/off). That works but when the TV is power cycled it no longer works and the remote needs to be paired again, so I call back. The tech tells me the remote is defective and I need to buy a replacement. That doesn't seem right since it works when it's paired and the TV loses it's settings, so it seems like the setting memory isn't getting power or is defective. The support tech just doesn't listen to me and I ask for a supervisor - none available but they'll call back. They never do. I call the repair tech 2 weeks later out of frustration with the support experience and he tells me the board is probably defective and it's backordered, so I wait... and wait, calling him a few times to see if the board is available - he said he would replace the defective board, but later he tells me I need to get approval from LG again.

I called and left voice mail at the LG main number on 11/1 and write in on 1/4/19, the email response tells me to call back and speak to the executive team. I speak with LG support on 1/15/19 and 1/23/19 each time with them promising to call me back from the executive team. The 1/23 call support agent offers another one time warranty repair and I ask if they'll replace the TV given the problems, he says they'll call back on 1/25/19 and will ask the executive team to call me back within 24 hours. No call backs from either the support or executive teams.

So I call today (1/31/19) and finally get to speak with their executive team, and they tell me I'm out of warranty, nothing they will do, I should buy a new TV from them but they'll provide me with a discount.

The repair had a 90 day warranty, which they were told within 30 days of the repair completing that the repair was bad. They have a record of it, the executive team confirmed that! But they won't honor the warranty now. The executive support person told me the warranty on the repair started on the day they offered the one time good will (July 1) the repaired board was installed by their tech on Aug 10, and I called them on Aug 10 that the repair was bad. that's 40 days after the initiall call and the same day the unit was repaired. Unfortunately I wasn't home whe the tech repaired the TV otherwise I might have caught this. My wife doesn't know how to use the automation for the theater so she couldn't check it. No matter how you cut it, the problem was reported within 90 days of the initial call. That seems like a breach of contract to me for their written/published warranty on a repair - even if the repair was good-will.

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue from LG and how were you able to resolve it? I spent so much money with LG (I bought a fridge, washer and dryer) around the same time as we were moving into a new house, and up until the failed repair, it seemed like things were going ok (I did have the fridge replaced 2 times due to component failures within the first year!).

I have just filed a BBB complaint with them and am considering legal action due to the breach of contract, but lawyers are very expensive and it seems like overkill for this situation when it would be reasonable for them to resolve this other ways. I was very calm and patient through all of these calls, I work with a support team and it's not right to yell at the agent for doing his/her job , they are just following policy, although it seems like the support team in the Philippines is not properly trained to troubleshoot problems and they get no soft skill training either.

Is LG just a bad company or am I just unlucky?

I still have multiple Pioneer Elite plasma screens, including one I bought back in 2000! They all still work really well. I guess I shouldn't expect a TV to last 20 years anymore but I would expect at least 2 years for something so expensive.
Grimbor likes this.

Last edited by RSouthern; 01-31-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Can you just replace the remote with a universal remote like a Harmony? Perhaps one that uses RF like the Harmony Hub? Would that work? Just trying to think of something that might get around the warranty issue, assuming the remote is the only thing not working.

Did they say that the repair would have a 90-day warranty? Do you have that in some sort of writing?
post #3 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 3127
A one time repair warranty means one-time use which from the OPs long post reads as if it was used. Don’t see how you can expect them to repair something else or replace the remote, that would be #2 , then what’s next a few months later - hopefully nothing of course. IMO they did you a solid to begin with by offering the warranty, easily could have said no. Guess no good dead goes unpunished.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4632 Post(s)
Liked: 2938
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
A one time repair warranty means one-time use which from the OPs long post reads as if it was used. Don’t see how you can expect them to repair something else or replace the remote, that would be #2 , then what’s next a few months later - hopefully nothing of course. IMO they did you a solid to begin with by offering the warranty, easily could have said no. Guess no good dead goes unpunished.
This was my exact thought when I was reading this. Had LG stuck to their original warranty period and not offered the "favor" of out of warranty period, they would have been better off.

@RSouthern I'd also just be looking to get a universal remote that doesn't work on blutooth.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Sorry, but your display is over 3 years old, way out of warranty. As others have stated, LG did you a favor. Good luck with a law suit (the only one winning will be the lawyer you hire).
post #6 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 617
What is the discount they are offering? I'm thinking you might want to pay out of your pocket to replace the replacement defective board...and sell the tv. It's a 3D Oled with low hours...might fetch some good $$$$. Use that...add the discount they offered and pick up a 2018 or 2019 model. You lose 3D of course...

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #7 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
This was my exact thought when I was reading this. Had LG stuck to their original warranty period and not offered the "favor" of out of warranty period, they would have been better off.

@RSouthern I'd also just be looking to get a universal remote that doesn't work on blutooth.

Guys,

Look, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, but the remote is not the problem, I think I made that clear in the description, but I admit I was a bit wordy. The main board they provided for the warranty repair is bad and doesn't store the settings, including the pairing for the remote. This means it also loses the color adjustments/settings so I can't re-calibrate the TV - ever.

This would be just as bad if I had paid the $400 to do the repair, but they made the decision to provide a new part for a good customer for no cost. That's good practice when you want to keep early adopter customers. The problem is the new part is defective and I suspect they don't have the parts to replace it now... my service tech said the parts were back ordered in August 2018 and that hasn't changed.

I disagree that if they hadn't done the good will warranty this wouldn't be an issue, I'd be out $400 and would still be in this situation.I spent $5500 on this TV plus the expensive LG wall mount and simply throwing that all away after 2.5 years is stupid. They did the right thing since the TV is basically new and I was an early adopter. Companies try to look after those people since they usually spread the word about how cool or good something is, early in the lifecycle when margins are high and competitive pressure is low.

However from reading the other threads on the 65EF9500 TV, many people are having main board problems and the replacement boards aren't available and LG doesn't repair the board. Basically it's a throw away component. Keep in mind this is a $5K TV that was 30 months (2.5 years) old (newer for some of the other posters) and had hardly been used. Put yourself in that position and think how you would feel if you couldn't repair something that's only 2 years old.

Yes, I should have paid for an extended warranty (20/20 hindsight), but better yet with that same hindsight, I should not have bought an LG TV, but it was the best consumer TV on the market at the time and I (wrongly) believed that it would last at least 5 years and maybe many more. I was wrong. I suspect that LG was wrong too given the shortage of main boards they are experiencing.
post #8 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
What is the discount they are offering? I'm thinking you might want to pay out of your pocket to replace the replacement defective board...and sell the tv. It's a 3D Oled with low hours...might fetch some good $$$$. Use that...add the discount they offered and pick up a 2018 or 2019 model. You lose 3D of course...

I think if I get any kind of payout it won't be reapplied to LG. With the 2 fridge failures in a year and this failure of a TV after barely using it, I don't think they engineer their products well. Yes, the picture quality is very good, but spending this kind of money every few years is not the type of economics I want to support. My Pioneer Elite Plasmas have lasted a very long time, they're way past their prime now, but they work well for my daughter to play XBox games. I've definitely gotten my money's worth from them and would still be a customer if they were still making them.

The loss of 3D sucks as I have a ton of 3D discs and even though it's not really a selling point these days, the 3D movies can be pretty engaging and add to the experience. Too bad they didn't do 3D and Atmos, that might be interesting.
post #9 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSouthern View Post
Guys,

Look, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, but the remote is not the problem, I think I made that clear in the description, but I admit I was a bit wordy. The main board they provided for the warranty repair is bad and doesn't store the settings, including the pairing for the remote. This means it also loses the color adjustments/settings so I can't re-calibrate the TV - ever.

This would be just as bad if I had paid the $400 to do the repair, but they made the decision to provide a new part for a good customer for no cost. That's good practice when you want to keep early adopter customers. The problem is the new part is defective and I suspect they don't have the parts to replace it now... my service tech said the parts were back ordered in August 2018 and that hasn't changed.

I disagree that if they hadn't done the good will warranty this wouldn't be an issue, I'd be out $400 and would still be in this situation.I spent $5500 on this TV plus the expensive LG wall mount and simply throwing that all away after 2.5 years is stupid. They did the right thing since the TV is basically new and I was an early adopter. Companies try to look after those people since they usually spread the word about how cool or good something is, early in the lifecycle when margins are high and competitive pressure is low.

However from reading the other threads on the 65EF9500 TV, many people are having main board problems and the replacement boards aren't available and LG doesn't repair the board. Basically it's a throw away component. Keep in mind this is a $5K TV that was 30 months (2.5 years) old (newer for some of the other posters) and had hardly been used. Put yourself in that position and think how you would feel if you couldn't repair something that's only 2 years old.

Yes, I should have paid for an extended warranty (20/20 hindsight), but better yet with that same hindsight, I should not have bought an LG TV, but it was the best consumer TV on the market at the time and I (wrongly) believed that it would last at least 5 years and maybe many more. I was wrong. I suspect that LG was wrong too given the shortage of main boards they are experiencing.
None of us were suggesting that the remote was the problem. If we thought it was, we would tell you to get another LG remote. Instead, we are suggesting to get a universal remote that supports your tv through RF or IR assuming your tv also supports that to avoid the Bluetooth pairing issue. Of course you didn’t mention the inability to save any settings before now. It could be as simple as an on board battery being dead or loose. Even modern pc still have batteries that store settings. Could be the simplest solution ever. Since it’s not even under warranty now I’d open it up and check if it were me.

And yes, had LG not done you the “favor” of an out of warranty fix, you wouldn’t be screaming law suit as the warranty would be simply expired. So that’s where the “no good deed goes unpunished” comment comes into play.
post #10 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I spent $5500 on this TV plus the expensive LG wall mount and simply throwing that all away after 2.5 years is stupid. They did the right thing since the TV is basically new and I was an early adopter. Companies try to look after those people since they usually spread the word about how cool or good something is, early in the lifecycle when margins are high and competitive pressure is low.
I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, and I'm not unsympathetic, but I think if you buy an expensive TV and pretty much don't use it until the warranty has expired, you are taking a risk along the lines of exactly what has happened to you. Yes, a company can help you out in order to maintain good customer relations, but that is their choice. It seems to me that LG gave you a break in agreeing to fix it in the first place, and as you say, perhaps they no longer have the boards. If so, it is somewhat understandable now why they are being "difficult" (although I still have a question about the 90-day repair warranty and why they didn't respond).

Anyway, these types of things happen sometimes, and I think it might be unfair to suggest that LG is a "bad company." I think I would lean towards the conclusion that you are "just unlucky."

I also think, as markmon1 suggested, you should try to figure out if there is a somewhat inexpensive way to resolve the problem. Consider all options.

P.S. And as a lawyer who's been around the block a few times, I would also say that legal action is probably not your best option.
Madmax67, markmon1 and Markalark like this.

Last edited by smitty; 01-31-2019 at 09:18 PM.
post #11 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 3769
Quote:
Guys,

How about paying $400 to get them out to replace the board now? As you said, that would have been the cost if they weren't so nice to offer to repair the tv outside of the original warranty. I would bet if you were to tell them you will pay for the repair, they will find the part. At least give that a try.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #12 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, and I'm not unsympathetic, but I think if you buy an expensive TV and pretty much don't use it until the warranty has expired, you are taking a risk along the lines of exactly what has happened to you. Yes, a company can help you out in order to maintain good customer relations, but that is their choice. It seems to me that LG gave you a break in agreeing to fix it in the first place, and as you say, perhaps they no longer have the boards. If so, it is somewhat understandable now why they are being "difficult" (although I still have a question about the 90-day repair warranty and why they didn't respond).

Anyway, these types of things happen sometimes, and I think it might be unfair to suggest that LG is a "bad company." I think I would lean towards the conclusion that you are "just unlucky."

I also think, as markmon1 suggested, you should try to figure out if there is a somewhat inexpensive way to resolve the problem. Consider all options.

P.S. And as a lawyer who's been around the block a few times, I would also say that legal action is probably not your best option.
The only thing that bothers me is the lack of parts for a 2.5 year old tv. That is unacceptable. I have read that in the UK, and EU, these companies can't get away with abandoning support for a product before 5 years is up. So there is no doubt in my mind, they have parts. Whether or not they want to do the repair for free is another subject. I would offer to pay the $400 for the repair, and see how they respond to that.

post #13 of 39 Old 01-31-2019, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
The only thing that bothers me is the lack of parts for a 2.5 year old tv. That is unacceptable. I have read that in the UK, and EU, these companies can't get away with abandoning support for a product before 5 years is up. So there is no doubt in my mind, they have parts. Whether or not they want to do the repair for free is another subject. I would offer to pay the $400 for the repair, and see how they respond to that.
Yeah, on further thought, it does seem a bit odd that they don't have the parts. But who knows. Maybe there is a component part to the board that is difficult to get. In any event, it does some like the easiest thing to do is just bite the bullet and pay the $400. It could be a whole lot worse.
post #14 of 39 Old 02-01-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
I think if I get any kind of payout it won't be reapplied to LG. With the 2 fridge failures in a year and this failure of a TV after barely using it, I don't think they engineer their products well. Yes, the picture quality is very good, but spending this kind of money every few years is not the type of economics I want to support. My Pioneer Elite Plasmas have lasted a very long time, they're way past their prime now, but they work well for my daughter to play XBox games. I've definitely gotten my money's worth from them and would still be a customer if they were still making them.

The loss of 3D sucks as I have a ton of 3D discs and even though it's not really a selling point these days, the 3D movies can be pretty engaging and add to the experience. Too bad they didn't do 3D and Atmos, that might be interesting.
Not sure if this would effect things but you might want to see if the tv could be in "In store" mode. If it is try switching it to "home".

Edit: Also, don't run in "power saver" mode...

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 02-01-2019 at 08:45 AM.
post #15 of 39 Old 02-01-2019, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Sorry, but your display is over 3 years old, way out of warranty. As others have stated, LG did you a favor. Good luck with a law suit (the only one winning will be the lawyer you hire).
Agreed LOL... My original 1 year warranty on my 65 B7 expires next week and I bought an additional year for $80 recently. Given the reports of "my OLED failed a month after warranty expired" I've seen floating around I figured for $80 I'd pull the trigger for one extra year.

No plans to buy any additional warranty time though. I figure if she makes it 2 years without issue odds are I'm good.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #16 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The original post alludes to an important point when paying multi thousands on a TV set you plan on keeping for years. Extended warranties are nice, but even a warranty will not protect you from LG's corporate decisions and what they consider to be an acceptable picture or degree of burn-in. This is why many are sticking to slightly inferior but much brighter quantum dot LCDs with high zone counts that can sell for less than 1/2 of OLEDs today.
post #17 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbor View Post
This is why many are sticking to slightly inferior but much brighter quantum dot LCDs with high zone counts that can sell for less than 1/2 of OLEDs today.

... and yet still can't compete with OLED in PQ especially in dark room viewing. There's a reason QLED consistently comes in 2nd place.

Thanks for the PSA though! Cheap LCDs outsell OLEDs?!??! Who woulda thunk it!?!?!?! I hear Toyota Camrys outsell the Ferrari too!
Latinoheat likes this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #18 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So did LG give you a one time warranty repair and install a defective part in your TV and then refuse to do anything about it?

If so LG really SUCKS.
post #19 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Samsung customers have complaints also.
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...ice-complaint/
post #20 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
Samsung customers have complaints also.
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...ice-complaint/
They all do. IMO, Samsung is probably the worst, but plenty of complaints with all the manufacturers, including LG and Sony.
post #21 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 92
not in same situation but very similar, lg sucks and i will never buy from them again. CPS warranty sucks, $4500 down the drain and rendered 100+ movie 3d collection useless.
BBB will not help, i filed complaint on both lg and cps. Cps wanted to give me $2700 on my tv, they are refusing to fix
post #22 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Be careful with extended warranties too. I had an extended warranty on my E6. 3 months into ownership, the tv developed a stuck pixel. I called BB and they replaced the tv. Once that is done the extended warranty is no longer in effect. They never told me that. They were first going to only replace the panel, which I had no problem with them doing that. They changed their mind. Simple reason, if they only replace the panel, the warranty remains in effect, and 2nd since it was still within the 1 year LG warranty, BB got their money back from LG by replacing the tv, and made easy money with the extended warranty I bought. Never have the store replace the tv if you have an extended warranty and outside the return window, unless that is the only choice. Once you do, warranty has been fulfilled and if anything goes wrong from the that point forward, you are out of luck. Also, if you are still within the 1 year LG warranty, always call them the 1st year. That way, if they replace the tv, your extended store warranty remains in effect since the store had nothing to do with the repair or replacement.
NintendoManiac64 likes this.

post #23 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbor View Post
Extended warranties are nice, but even a warranty will not protect you from LG's corporate decisions and what they consider to be an acceptable picture or degree of burn-in.
What you say here is true of any company that makes TV's. Extended warranties protect against certain issues. And beyond the extended warranties, companies will sometimes take care of issues that arise with their products. But sometimes they don't, and you might be out of luck. And sometimes the company acts the right way or fairly, in an objective sense, and sometimes they do not. This is not confined to LG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyy2 View Post
So did LG give you a one time warranty repair and install a defective part in your TV and then refuse to do anything about it?

If so LG really SUCKS.
It appears that we don't have all the facts, but if LG did, in fact, make an unfair decision regarding the OP's set or treat him badly, then we have an instance in which they acted badly. There are other instances in which LG has treated people pretty well. It's dangerous and silly to draw conclusions based on an anecdote relating to one experience -- with respect to LG, or Samsung, or Sony, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdasterly View Post
not in same situation but very similar, lg sucks and i will never buy from them again. CPS warranty sucks, $4500 down the drain and rendered 100+ movie 3d collection useless.
BBB will not help, i filed complaint on both lg and cps. Cps wanted to give me $2700 on my tv, they are refusing to fix
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation, but the lack of information about what took place makes it impossible for anyone to draw a conclusion from you experience. Just sayin'.
post #24 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

ill try to keep it short, 1 week into owning tv 3d was blurry, lg replaced board, 2 weeks later 3d still blurry, tech came out and replaced panel, 2 weeks go by but 3d still blurry so tech return and configures board via hidden menu. Everything was great for 3 months, then blurry 3d again. Tech came to house 6 times, lg refuses to fix. Lg warranty expired so cps 5 year warranty kicks in. Cps claims panel unavailable and wants to refund me the cost of the warranty. I refuse. I call lg and source several replacement panels. Now warranty company offers $600, 4 weeks later $900, 4 weeks after that $1200. Cps sends to me a chinese website with pricing for my set but they only take western union payment. I refuse so now cps refuses to answer my email and calls. I submit BBB paperwork, now i get a call from Mark from cps, he claims he's not here to BS. I only wanted tv repaired or refunded full amount. They claim to refund full amount. Mark offers me $2100 and i keep tv or $2700 and return set or find pricing for tv. The model is oled65e6p. This model is sold out everywhere. I ended up finding 1 set and the price was $6000. I asked Mark Faour can they just repair the set, he says no because 3D is dated Technology Mark Faour referred me to cps Legal dept. The lawyer who was monitoring the status of this died I dont even know where to begin. Lawyer was ready to file lawsuit against cps, and then lg(tv defected on the repaired parts) Out of $4500 as of today. Probably left out a lot of details

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
What you say here is true of any company that makes TV's. Extended warranties protect against certain issues. And beyond the extended warranties, companies will sometimes take care of issues that arise with their products. But sometimes they don't, and you might be out of luck. And sometimes the company acts the right way or fairly, in an objective sense, and sometimes they do not. This is not confined to LG.

It appears that we don't have all the facts, but if LG did, in fact, make an unfair decision regarding the OP's set or treat him badly, then we have an instance in which they acted badly. There are other instances in which LG has treated people pretty well. It's dangerous and silly to draw conclusions based on an anecdote relating to one experience -- with respect to LG, or Samsung, or Sony, etc.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation, but the lack of information about what took place makes it impossible for anyone to draw a conclusion from you experience. Just sayin'.
post #25 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
ill try to keep it short, 1 week into owning tv 3d was blurry, lg replaced board, 2 weeks later 3d still blurry, tech came out and replaced panel, 2 weeks go by but 3d still blurry so tech return and configures board via hidden menu. Everything was great for 3 months, then blurry 3d again. Tech came to house 6 times, lg refuses to fix. Lg warranty expired
This part is confusing:
1 week into owning 3d blurry so replaced board
2 weeks later 3 still blurry (so we are now 3 weeks into ownership) replaced panel.
2 weeks later 3d still blurry (5 weeks into ownership)
everything good for 3 months (that's 10 weeks, plus the previous 5, that's 15 weeks). Then blurry 3d again.
So it only was in warranty for 15 weeks?

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #26 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This part is confusing:
2 weeks later 3 still blurry (so we are now 3 weeks into ownership) replaced panel.
everything good for 3 months (that's 10 weeks, plus the previous 5, that's 15 weeks). Then blurry 3d again.
bought tv in sept, repaired 3 times before xmas. The replaced parts were defective also
post #27 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
bought tv in sept, repaired 3 times before xmas. The replaced parts were defective also
man that all sucks. How long is LG's warranty anyway? So it works fine if not doing 3d? It seems like if so you could at least sell it. Lots of people don't care about 3d.

post #28 of 39 Old 02-02-2019, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

1 year from lg, I bought specifically because it has 3 technologies, 4k hdr, oled and 3D.
I have 100+ movies that are worthless, might pickup a oculus rift since my psvr is limited

Quote:
Quote:
man that all sucks. How long is LG's warranty anyway? So it works fine if not doing 3d? It seems like if so you could at least sell it. Lots of people don't care about 3d.
post #29 of 39 Old 02-03-2019, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 44
This should not be to pick on LG exclusively because any brand and model can have a lemon and, depending on who handles the support, you could be looking at dumpstering that $4000 purchase much sooner than you anticipated. And yes, I know someone who paid well over $5K for the Samsung JS9500 in 2015 who has already trashed it because of various out of warranty issues and just the fact it is so inferior to $1500 TVs today. My only point is when comparing small difference between TVs priced widely apart, take into account repeated problems can void your extended warranty even within the second year. What kind of hit could you afford before being a bitter person forever due to an expensive lemon?
post #30 of 39 Old 02-03-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This part is confusing:
Something doesn't compute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page