81Likes

post #1 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Another OLED vs LCD Post

Hi All,
I know there are a ton of OLED vs LCD threads out there, but I may need to make a semi-quick decision so wanted to post a new thread.
I currently own a 55” Samsung JS8500 LCD TV (2015). I’m looking to upgrade to something bigger and better. Plus, I plan on giving my current set to my little brother as a graduation gift. I’ve always wanted to give OLED a try, but wasn’t sure if it was the best fit based on my usage. I had expected to go with a Samsung Q90R based on preliminary reviews (also get a workplace discount). However, reviews released today still indicate there are some black level issues, no Dolby Vision, and does not have all full HDMI 2.1 features. I just got notification that Best Buy has reduced prices on the 65 C8 pretty substantially, which is making me question my decision. I know that the C9 will have full HDMI 2.1, but I thought that purchasing the 2018 model would give me an opportunity to try OLED at a much better price (thus offsetting some of the risk).

Here is my usage:

75% TV (very little news or sports)
15% Gaming
10% Movies

Whatever set I purchase will be in an open living room with a fair amount of light.

So my question is will OLED be the best idea for my usage? My two main concerns are burn-in from gaming or any on screen logos from TV, as well as watching in a more well lit environment (I have read this eliminates/reduces the pure black benefit of an OLED). My local Best Buy has one last C8 in stock, so may want to make a decision fairly quickly.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 75
If a few years down the road the "burn in" monster happens to rear its ugly head and you don't have warranty or money to cover the cost of fixing or replacing, are you going to be OK with it? Some people have money and couldn't care less. Others don't. Also knowing it might happen, it might not. Fun, isn't it?
post #3 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oplasmic View Post
If a few years down the road the "burn in" monster happens to rear its ugly head and you don't have warranty or money to cover the cost of fixing or replacing, are you going to be OK with it? Some people have money and couldn't care less. Others don't. Also knowing it might happen, it might not. Fun, isn't it?
My current financial situation would allow me to replace the set, if needed. However, I wouldn’t be thrilled by spending +/- $2k on something else that received permanent damage within the first couple of years of ownership.

Realistically, I probably see keeping whatever I buy next for a couple of years, unless I have a change in financial situation. If I go OLED and like it, I’d upgrade to a newer OLED with HDMI 2.1 and maybe top emmission (heard this may change the OLED game a bit). If OLED ended up being a bust, I’d go for a higher end LCD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by oplasmic View Post
if a few years down the road the "burn in" monster happens to rear its ugly head and you don't have warranty or money to cover the cost of fixing or replacing, are you going to be ok with it? Some people have money and couldn't care less. Others don't. Also knowing it might happen, it might not. Fun, isn't it?

fud
RoadLizard likes this.
post #5 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post
fud
LOL! Sure.
post #6 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy12 View Post
Hi All,
I know there are a ton of OLED vs LCD threads out there, but I may need to make a semi-quick decision so wanted to post a new thread.
I currently own a 55” Samsung JS8500 LCD TV (2015). I’m looking to upgrade to something bigger and better. Plus, I plan on giving my current set to my little brother as a graduation gift. I’ve always wanted to give OLED a try, but wasn’t sure if it was the best fit based on my usage. I had expected to go with a Samsung Q90R based on preliminary reviews (also get a workplace discount). However, reviews released today still indicate there are some black level issues, no Dolby Vision, and does not have all full HDMI 2.1 features. I just got notification that Best Buy has reduced prices on the 65 C8 pretty substantially, which is making me question my decision. I know that the C9 will have full HDMI 2.1, but I thought that purchasing the 2018 model would give me an opportunity to try OLED at a much better price (thus offsetting some of the risk).

Here is my usage:

75% TV (very little news or sports)
15% Gaming
10% Movies

Whatever set I purchase will be in an open living room with a fair amount of light.

So my question is will OLED be the best idea for my usage? My two main concerns are burn-in from gaming or any on screen logos from TV, as well as watching in a more well lit environment (I have read this eliminates/reduces the pure black benefit of an OLED). My local Best Buy has one last C8 in stock, so may want to make a decision fairly quickly.

Thanks for your help!
Your use case looks fine for OLED. Just be aware of static logos and you should be ok. Maybe turn the OLED light down a bit when watching TV and games with static HUD elements. Also, try to keep direct rays of sunlight from hitting the screen. For some reason UV light messes with the organic pixels.
post #7 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:

Thanks for your help!
I'm an OLED owner... but mine is viewed in a dark room... a setting where OLED destroys LCD in PQ. If you like TV/gaming with the lights on, I'd probably recommend LCD... especially if you are watching a lot of non-4K cable programming. My usage is 80% 4K movies.

One thing I wouldn't do though is worry about burn in. (see my other comment in this post)

Quote:
I might also get in my car after work and get hit by a drunk driver. Life is too short to worry about what might happen.

Oh, I've got 2300 hours on mine and don't have any burn in.
Korey and lorenzo1000 like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #8 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
I'm an OLED owner... but mine is viewed in a dark room... a setting where OLED destroys LCD in PQ. If you like TV/gaming with the lights on, I'd probably recommend LCD... especially if you are watching a lot of non-4K cable programming. My usage is 80% 4K movies.

One thing I wouldn't do though is worry about burn in. (see my other comment in this post)

I might also get in my car after work and get hit by a drunk driver. Life is too short to worry about what might happen.

Oh, I've got 2300 hours on mine and don't have any burn in.

Exactly my point. I have a 55C7, 55B8, and 60F8500. F8500 has burn in after 6 years and that's fine. I got my use out of it. Buy what you want but understand issues that might come up. Don't see how that's fear mongering. Seems like common sense to me.
post #9 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
I had expected to go with a Samsung Q90R based on preliminary reviews (also get a workplace discount).
Here is another Q90R review which makes some comparisons to OLED: https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews...ng-q90-qled-tv

Greg Lee
post #10 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked: 2314
Quote:
Exactly my point. I have a 55C7, 55B8, and 60F8500. F8500 has burn in after 6 years and that's fine. I got my use out of it. Buy what you want but understand issues that might come up. Don't see how that's fear mongering. Seems like common sense to me.

Most people know that BI may be an issue with some newer OLED's but that shouldn't deter someone from purchasing what is undoubtably the best pq around. The way your comment was worded sounded like the poster would be a fool to purchase an OLED.
lorenzo1000 and TravisPNW like this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #11 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ahhh... thanks for clearing that up. For a minute there I thought you were one of those people who chime in on every thread saying it's not a matter of if but when when it comes to BI... and IMO that's just a complete crock.

Every BI story I've ever seen around here talking about how it happened relatively quickly has come from someone who has their TV glued to CNN or the built in YouTube app. Sure it's a risk... if you use your panel like that. I'm of the opinion that an OLED is a complete waste if you are a news or YouTube junkie. They make cheap LCDs for that.

6 years? Well, at least you got your use out of it. I probably wouldn't even be mad if that happened to me.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
post #12 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Most people know that BI may be an issue with some newer OLED's but that shouldn't deter someone from purchasing what is undoubtably the best pq around. The way your comment was worded sounded like the poster would be a fool to purchase an OLED.

Interesting. The OP was the only one that didn't seem offended by my response. I think he understood my intentions. Sure wasn't trying to ruffle feathers.
srkmish, Kenbar and TravisPNW like this.
post #13 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Ahhh... thanks for clearing that up. For a minute there I thought you were one of those people who chime in on every thread saying it's not a matter of if but when when it comes to BI... and IMO that's just a complete crock.

Every BI story I've ever seen around here talking about how it happened relatively quickly has come from someone who has their TV glued to CNN or the built in YouTube app. Sure it's a risk... if you use your panel like that. I'm of the opinion that an OLED is a complete waste if you are a news or YouTube junkie. They make cheap LCDs for that.

6 years? Well, at least you got your use out of it. I probably wouldn't even be mad if that happened to me.

I thought I worded it correctly. You may see IR, you may not. You may see BI, you may not. I've seen image retention on the C7 but nothing on the B8. Of course it has fewer hours but it sees a lot of gaming(PS4 and One).

And this is why I rarely post.
post #14 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 53
If you will most always use the TV in a lighted room, I would go with an LCD. However if most of your viewing is at night, with most of the lights off, then go for the OLED.
sdg4vfx likes this.

LG OLED65B6P TV, Marantz SR7012 AV receiver, Sony UBP-X700 Player, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #15 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
I thought I worded it correctly. You may see IR, you may not. You may see BI, you may not. I've seen image retention on the C7 but nothing on the B8. Of course it has fewer hours but it sees a lot of gaming(PS4 and One).

Oplasmic, I apologize. It sounded (to me) that there's a 50/50 chance for burn in to occur.
Please keep posting.
post #16 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked: 2314
Quote:

I stand corrected .

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #17 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
If you worry about burn in, get a LCD. No way would I choose a TV that limits what I can view. I watch TV primarily for content, not whether the content looks slightly better on a given TV.

I've had many TVs that were susceptible to burn in and I never got it, so I don't worry about it. But I've never been an idiot with my TVs either.
post #18 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
...as well as watching in a more well lit environment (I have read this eliminates/reduces the pure black benefit of an OLED)...

My old set was a Panasonic ST60, one of the best plasma's for black level (0.002 ftl, measured by me), certainly blacker than any LCD. Upgraded to an OLED and even with the lights on, the better black level is apparent, I would expect a dramatic difference when comparing to an LCD. Also when used in a very bright room the image holds together better than any TV I have had before, a couple plasma's and an older LCD (admittedly older and no anti reflective coating, but will still do full screen brightness over 300 nits). No question, with the OLED the dimmer the lights get the better the image gets but the image should still noticeably better with the lights on.
post #19 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 359
As mentioned already a lot of it depends what content your going to watch and what type of lighting you will mostly be watching in. As you have said most of what you will be watching is TV with only a small percentage of movies and gaming I would imagine you don't watch standard TV in a pitch black room all the time and mostly have ambient light in the room? For that kind of usage I would probably go with the Q90 if you can afford it. While burn in would most likely not be an issue with OLED if its something your already thinking about or have it at the back of your mind you may aswell just go with an LCD as if your worrying about it before you get an OLED your going to be worrying about it just as much when you own one.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #20 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

... and I'm still recommending OP goes with an LCD for his brightly lit room and his BI fears.

I'll keeping enjoying my OLED with no fear of BI while continuing to drive my car every day.

Cheers!

post #21 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
The new Q Seems like an excellent set but I will not put so much faith on a crushing black fix since there is no other option to keep the blacks deep with hdr. Last year I predicted the same about the black crush.

Just accceot the display as it is and definitely watch the tv in a dim lit or bright room.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...h#66a59cc56fe8

In this case I recommend the Q to you, though depending of the placement of the tv the oled can do extremely well.

Last edited by losservatore; 02-28-2019 at 02:03 PM.
post #22 of 104 Old 02-28-2019, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

A big thanks to those that have commented. You have all given me a lot to think about!
post #23 of 104 Old 03-01-2019, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Quote:
My current financial situation would allow me to replace the set, if needed. However, I wouldn’t be thrilled by spending +/- $2k on something else that received permanent damage within the first couple of years of ownership.

Realistically, I probably see keeping whatever I buy next for a couple of years, unless I have a change in financial situation. If I go OLED and like it, I’d upgrade to a newer OLED with HDMI 2.1 and maybe top emmission (heard this may change the OLED game a bit). If OLED ended up being a bust, I’d go for a higher end LCD.

Oh boy - dont fall for the "burn in will happen" BS. Extreme edge case use causes thia and its hardly an epidemic. A plethora of OLED owners are enjoying our sets with zero burn in and wont ever get it. Why? Because its rare and just doesnt happen that often.

That being said, other than absolute top-tier LCDs, OLEDs win the picture quality battle in like every meaningful category. Only the very best LCds even get close and they still lack the overall contrast and black levels that you get with OLED. So, unless your gaming 20 hours a day or using your TV as a cable channel news ticker..... OLED is the easy choice, IMO.
lorenzo1000, TravisPNW and dw3007 like this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #24 of 104 Old 03-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Oh boy - dont fall for the "burn in will happen" BS. Extreme edge case use causes thia and its hardly an epidemic. A plethora of OLED owners are enjoying our sets with zero burn in and wont ever get it. Why? Because its rare and just doesnt happen that often.

That being said, other than absolute top-tier LCDs, OLEDs win the picture quality battle in like every meaningful category. Only the very best LCds even get close and they still lack the overall contrast and black levels that you get with OLED. So, unless your gaming 20 hours a day or using your TV as a cable channel news ticker..... OLED is the easy choice, IMO.

Quoted because it's worth repeating.

post #25 of 104 Old 03-01-2019, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

So I just found out Best Buy's geek squad warranty covers burn-in, which takes some of the pressure off. Taking burn-in out of the equation, will the C8 offer me the best PQ for my viewing habits? If so, I am probably sold.
RoadLizard likes this.
post #26 of 104 Old 03-01-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Quote:
Captions, too. Anyone dependent on subtitles might want to give a flagship LCD a second thought.
post #27 of 104 Old 03-02-2019, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadacclaim View Post
Your use case looks fine for OLED. Just be aware of static logos and you should be ok. Maybe turn the OLED light down a bit when watching TV and games with static HUD elements. Also, try to keep direct rays of sunlight from hitting the screen. For some reason UV light messes with the organic pixels.
No it would not, in his case he is watching alot of regular tv (no point in getting OLED then). Sooner or later a burn-in is inenvitible.
post #28 of 104 Old 03-02-2019, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Quote:
Captions, too. Anyone dependent on subtitles might want to give a flagship LCD a second thought.
This is an interesting thought. While I am not dependent on subtitles, I do watch some foreign stuff with subtitles.

I actually ended up going with a Samsung Q90R LCD. While I think I would have been fine with either set in the end, I think a higher end LCD is probably a better fit for my usage and viewing area.
post #29 of 104 Old 03-02-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillias View Post
No it would not, in his case he is watching alot of regular tv (no point in getting OLED then). Sooner or later a burn-in is inenvitible.
Why is regular TV a burn in problem? It certainly is not. I did mention cable news channels and how if you torture yourself with that stuff for hours a day on end then you should get something else. But regular TV? Like sports, shows, etc? Cmon, 100% harmless. Been doing it for over two years. Absolutely zero burn in whatsoever and I never will either.

Let’s not overstate this. Please.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #30 of 104 Old 03-02-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
But regular TV? Like sports, shows, etc? Cmon, 100% harmless.
Except for bugs.

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page