Opinion Is It Worth The Money for OLED 77 Over a 75 Z9d? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #31 of 45 Old 03-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Ill give you some advice from someone who has owned both an OLED and recently a top LCD like the Q900 from Samsung. One of the most pointless differences for you is the size as they are both basically the same size. When I upgraded from an OLED to an LCD I went from a 55 inch OLED to a 75 inch LCD and out of all the changes that made the biggest difference.

For a bright room i enjoy the LCD more than i enjoyed the OLED. In a dark room its both hit and miss. Sometimes the LCD blends into the darkness and looks amazing and then you get those really bright HDR highlights that OLED cant touch. Other times you see backlight issues or blooming/halos and for even a split second it takes you out of the movie because no matter how small the issue of blooming or backlight problems are. When you see them its a distraction and in my case can be quite annoying.
Oled while you wont get those high peak highlights and crazy HDR you'll get good HDR but never have to worry about things getting in the way of your movie watching experiance. Just a brilliant picture on a screen that you can enjoy fully. I'm personally in the middle of choosing between a Q950 and a LG C9 because unfortunately you dont get much choice with OLED at larger sizes. Makes me wish panasonics new OLEDS had a 77 inch model but they dont. If i had the money though.. i would decide if those things i mentioned bother you at all and if they do see if you can go for the 77 C9. You will at least get all the new features and have HDMI 2.1 for some future proofing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 03-12-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsonia View Post
Ill give you some advice from someone who has owned both an OLED and recently a top LCD like the Q900 from Samsung. One of the most pointless differences for you is the size as they are both basically the same size. When I upgraded from an OLED to an LCD I went from a 55 inch OLED to a 75 inch LCD and out of all the changes that made the biggest difference.

For a bright room i enjoy the LCD more than i enjoyed the OLED. In a dark room its both hit and miss. Sometimes the LCD blends into the darkness and looks amazing and then you get those really bright HDR highlights that OLED cant touch. Other times you see backlight issues or blooming/halos and for even a split second it takes you out of the movie because no matter how small the issue of blooming or backlight problems are. When you see them its a distraction and in my case can be quite annoying.

Oled while you wont get those high peak highlights and crazy HDR you'll get good HDR but never have to worry about things getting in the way of your movie watching experiance. Just a brilliant picture on a screen that you can enjoy fully. I'm personally in the middle of choosing between a Q950 and a LG C9 because unfortunately you dont get much choice with OLED at larger sizes. Makes me wish panasonics new OLEDS had a 77 inch model but they dont. If i had the money though.. i would decide if those things i mentioned bother you at all and if they do see if you can go for the 77 C9. You will at least get all the new features and have HDMI 2.1 for some future proofing.
I couldn't agree more. Currently my main set is a c8 but I like OLED and LCD tech almost equally cause they both have their pros and cons. I feel the c8 has less glaring issues then the best 2018 LCD offerings but I'm hoping that companies don't just abandon high end LCD quality control in order to concentrate on future techs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #33 of 45 Old 03-12-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Im an oled fan, but I would keep the z
I’m also assuming you’re not having any issues with it

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 45 Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
Im an oled fan, but I would keep the z
I’m also assuming you’re not having any issues with it
If OLED didn't exist then I would never get rid of this thing, huge jump from the 900F that I had before I exchanged for this one. By far the best LCD I have seen and I have almost a perfect panel defect wise.
5x10 likes this.

Last edited by Jerry Lee; 03-12-2019 at 10:32 PM.
post #35 of 45 Old 03-13-2019, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4464 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
^I wish I could get yours as an open box discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
When is the baby suppose to arrive?
Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsonia View Post
I will say as a devil's advocate of the 77" G6, there is still the issue of DSE caused by vertical banding near black that can wreck the OLED experience. I think they're doing better at that size in terms of uniformity since 2016 fortunately. I apparently need 3 TVs now, one for daytime/leisure viewing + 3D (Z9D), nighttime viewing of 3D (G6), and SDR/HDR nighttime viewing (C9?) since the ideal TV remains elusive to me.
post #36 of 45 Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1602
I think you will be disappointed with 3D on the Z9D compared to your G6 OLED. Lots of ghosting and crosstalk on high contrast content like alien subtitles in Avatar. Also some flickering. Viewing angles are terrible even by LCD standards (washout and contrast loss at screen borders even sitting dead center). On the plus side: no vertical banding on camera pans in darker, low-contrast content that you've come to dread on your OLED. Much less macroblocking and posterization, especially with Sony's Smooth-Gradation enabled. Better motion resolution with BFI enabled. Much more realistic bright-scene HDR. Immune to burn-in if you're into risky content.

Hopefully you purchased from a place that takes returns in case it doesn't work out. Good luck.
post #37 of 45 Old 03-13-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I think you will be disappointed with 3D on the Z9D compared to your G6 OLED. Lots of ghosting and crosstalk on high contrast content like alien subtitles in Avatar. Also some flickering. Viewing angles are terrible even by LCD standards (washout and contrast loss at screen borders even sitting dead center). On the plus side: no vertical banding on camera pans in darker, low-contrast content that you've come to dread on your OLED. Much less macroblocking and posterization, especially with Sony's Smooth-Gradation enabled. Better motion resolution with BFI enabled. Much more realistic bright-scene HDR. Immune to burn-in if you're into risky content.

Hopefully you purchased from a place that takes returns in case it doesn't work out. Good luck.
That's what I'm worried about. A friend of mine wanted a 3D tv after seeing mine. Bought a new 2015 Samsung left over from Sams Club...85"...very nice tv...but not the 3D. Lot's of cross talk. We played with every 3D setting trying to clean it up, we could clear up the ghosting at one "distance", but all we could do was move the distance (conversion points) the ghosting appeared...tried ordering different glasses from Amazon, did not help ...Samsung replaced the tv...did not help. Same problem. Just could not get the active synchronisation correct. No where on the box did it advertised 3D as a selling point, we found out why.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #38 of 45 Old 03-13-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You know it, Best Buy. I don't like that it's only 14 days, but they should take it back no questions asked (my no returns embargo from 2016 should be over surely).

And now you're making me sweat, Kenbar:

All that said, I've heard that while 3D presentations might not be quite up to par with OLED, it's not bad per se'. YMMV as it so often turns out.
post #39 of 45 Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I didn't own a single 3D movie until i purchased a 75" Z9D a couple months ago. Now I own 10. After watching Avatar, i went on a spending spree. Its amazing on this tv, just gotta get the settings dialed in.
JediMindTrick likes this.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #40 of 45 Old 03-15-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post
I didn't own a single 3D movie until i purchased a 75" Z9D a couple months ago. Now I own 10. After watching Avatar, i went on a spending spree. Its amazing on this tv, just gotta get the settings dialed in.

How many times do you watch each movie?
post #41 of 45 Old 03-15-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There are close to 1000 3D titles available to gather up at this point. You could watch a new 3D title every night for almost 3 years before needing to rewatch anything.
post #42 of 45 Old 03-15-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked: 1461
If you can get an OLED in that screen size without banding or tint issues - then $1,500 isn’t that much of a price difference. Especially if you primarily watch movies (I assume mostly Blu-ray or high quality streaming) in a dark environment. If you’re not watching cable or satellite where the upscaling of plain old 720p or 1080i is important - - then the upscaling engine is not as high a priority.

I don’t know about gaming on the OLED, but I’m sure other posters can chime in. Yes, prices will get better down the road but the last time I looked - - we’re all not getting any younger. Just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer where you can return whatever you buy without any problems. And if you can, have it delivered and setup to confirm no initial problems with your set. The last thing you want is to bust your nads lugging your TV home, unboxing and re-boxing a “D.O.A.” set or one that has defects right out of the gate.

Have fun!

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Bluesound Node 2i, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3, AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #43 of 45 Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2005 Post(s)
Liked: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
There are close to 1000 3D titles available to gather up at this point. You could watch a new 3D title every night for almost 3 years before needing to rewatch anything.
Hey, if Wilt Chamberlain can make love to 20,000 women in his lifetime, I’m sure the OP can knock off 1,000 3D movies in, say, six to eight months.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Bluesound Node 2i, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3, AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #44 of 45 Old 03-17-2019, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Hey, if Wilt Chamberlain can make love to 20,000 women in his lifetime, I’m sure the OP can knock off 1,000 3D movies in, say, six to eight months.
One a day for 54.75 years.......DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No wonder he only lived to 63!

WILT!!!!!!!!!!!
Brent Madden likes this.
post #45 of 45 Old 03-17-2019, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
! Not to get back on topic, but I'm facing the same situation as the OP but 85" 900F being replaced by a 75" Z9D and now that pricing is announced for the new LG OLEDs I'd probably end up preferring the 77 OLED but the 8" size drop is significant .... also about $2k more Still not sure what to do! Concerned a little about burn in since I do watch news channels for an hour at night and fall asleep a lot when watching movies and tv. I wouldn't be able to stand some BD menu burned into my $6500 set!

Last edited by owl1; 03-17-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page