LG Announces 2019 OLED Pricing & Availability - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 453Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Knuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
I think we were talking about jrref's 100% peak white measurements, which he claimed were ~10% higher than he was getting on 2018 WOLEDs.

100% peak white measurements are pretty much independant of EOTF, right? EOTF controls how you get from 0% to 100% but the endpoint (100%) is determined more by ABL than it is by EOTF, correct?
If measured quite a few 2018 OLEDs with 860 nit 10% windowed peak white so 2019s are the same from my perspective.

Quote:
As far as the 2019 WOLEDs following a jacked EOTF, will there be a way to calibrate that out? I can't believe LG decided to follow Samsung's bone-headed initiative but I suppose we've seen it before (curved screens )...
Hopefully via CalMan.... I’m speaking of HDR10.


Hopefully via CalMan.... I’m speaking of HDR10
For those who want to calibrate the C9, LG has included test patterns in addition to AutoCal which will negate the need for an expensive pattern generator, which is great news for the DIYers. Of course, you will still need the CalMan software and a colorimeter.

You will also be able to create 3 custom presets for HDR.
helvetica bold, Jon65 and chunon like this.

Last edited by Knuck; 03-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Knuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
You have zero scientific evidence that LG burns in more than sony. Your "opinions" are completely irrelevant to the topic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Did I ever say that LG has more burn ins than Sony? Look, YOU're trying to put words in my mouth. YOU can ignore me or anyone else that does not have same "opinions" as yours.

As long as I'm not breaking forum rules, I'll post anywhere that I like.
New_to_4K is offline  
post #483 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,350
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 3663
LG Announces 2019 OLED Pricing & Availability

All this Sony vs LG stuff serves no one , I feel sorry for those here seeking info about the 2019 LGs , take the back and forth somewhere else please . There are plenty of threads to argue in .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #484 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Did anyone test the E9 yet? Is the soundbar an improvement over the E8?

Sony A9F, LG B6 (retired)
New_to_4K is offline  
post #485 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wco81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,762
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
It’s expensive but the Best Buy warranty covers burn-in. Since I’ll be gaming on my C9 it’s worth it for peace of mind.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anyone know if credit card extended warranties would cover burn in?

Actually credit card extended warranties typically only covers things that the base manufacturer's warranty covers and I believe the LG warranty doesn't cover burn in?
wco81 is online now  
post #486 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4772
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Anyone know if credit card extended warranties would cover burn in?

Actually credit card extended warranties typically only covers things that the base manufacturer's warranty covers and I believe the LG warranty doesn't cover burn in?
Yes, that's correct.
fafrd is offline  
post #487 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 16,794
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked: 3634
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
All this Sony vs LG stuff serves no one , I feel sorry for those here seeking info about the 2019 LGs , take the back and forth somewhere else please . There are plenty of threads to argue in .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1
helvetica bold and smurraybhm like this.
D-Nice is offline  
post #488 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 24,885
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
All this Sony vs LG stuff serves no one , I feel sorry for those here seeking info about the 2019 LGs , take the back and forth somewhere else please . There are plenty of threads to argue in .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's correct. I cleaned up the posts after this one. If we come back due to off topic posts creating a X vs Y again, infractions will be issued and member(s) banned from posting in this thread.
markrubin, fafrd, Edllguy and 3 others like this.
rboster is offline  
post #489 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,389
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Anyone know if credit card extended warranties would cover burn in?



Actually credit card extended warranties typically only covers things that the base manufacturer's warranty covers and I believe the LG warranty doesn't cover burn in?


From my research only Best Buy’s warranty covers burn-in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
africanlivedit likes this.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
post #490 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Matsonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
What’s the VRR range on the C9. Is it 40hz-120hz or did I just make that up?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think more of a big deal needs to be made about this. From what I understand VRR version 1 had that range where as version 2 is able to go much lower. For console gamers having a min range of 40hz makes it a useless feature considering most console games are at 30fps with drops lower than that. I don't know which implementation there using in the 2019 sets though.
gorman42 likes this.
Matsonia is offline  
post #491 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,350
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 3663
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
From my research only Best Buy’s warranty covers burn-in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You are correct


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is offline  
post #492 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
alettiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I have yet to see a report of a Sony getting burn in, but I haven’t been keeping track of that forum in quite some time because it just makes me paranoid about possible purchases.

When Rtngs did their test, I wish they included a Sony in the mix just to see.

But it’s still hard to make a solid conclusion because there are way more LG owners then there are Sony owners. I chalk this up primarily to the price differentiation between the two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alettiere is offline  
post #493 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Member
 
convexmacrolabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
What’s the VRR range on the C9. Is it 40hz-120hz or did I just make that up?
Older FreeSync monitors might have ranges like that, but with FreeSync 2 AMD introduced a technology called Low Framerate Compensation that allows VRR to go down to low refresh rates. The catch is that the display's maximum refresh rate must be at least 2X its minimum refresh rate.

So in the case of the 2018 Samsung models, you may have heard they only support 48-60 Hz VRR at 4K. I assume the the panel's minimum refresh rate is 48 Hz and HDMI 2.0 bandwidth limits the maximum refresh rate to 60 Hz. Since this is not 2X, it can't use LFC. However if you use the same displays at 1080p, they now have enough bandwidth to do 120 Hz. Since this is > 2X the minimum refresh rate, LFC is available, and they can do as low as 20 Hz VRR.

Now, since the 2019 LGs have HDMI 2.1 and can support 4K/120 4:4:4, they ought to have a high enough maximum refresh rate to use LFC. So, we have reason to hope for a good lower bound. If the minimum VRR was 40 Hz, that would be disappointing.
convexmacrolabs is offline  
post #494 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,738
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I have yet to see a report of a Sony getting burn in, but I haven’t been keeping track of that forum in quite some time because it just makes me paranoid about possible purchases.

When Rtngs did their test, I wish they included a Sony in the mix just to see.

But it’s still hard to make a solid conclusion because there are way more LG owners then there are Sony owners. I chalk this up primarily to the price differentiation between the two.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen both Sonys and LGs with burn in at Best buy. There is no magic sauce that prevents burn in that is exclusive to one single brand, and all the panels are produced by the same manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Cam1977 likes this.
sd13 is offline  
post #495 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,325
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked: 5317
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I've seen both Sonys and LGs with burn in at Best buy. There is no magic sauce that prevents burn in that is exclusive to one single brand, and all the panels are produced by the same manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Correct but Sony is a lot more conservative with their sets which makes it less likely you will get burn in with normal usage.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is offline  
post #496 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,286
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I've seen both Sonys and LGs with burn in at Best buy. There is no magic sauce that prevents burn in that is exclusive to one single brand, and all the panels are produced by the same manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Agreed, Oled is Oled no matter the brand that markets them, they ALL whether its a Sony, Panasonic or LG have the same weakness.
sd13 likes this.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #497 of 532 Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,738
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Correct but Sony is a lot more conservative with their sets which makes it less likely you will get burn in with normal usage.
I always ran my LG with a lower OLED light than what I was using on the Sony. But yeah...at OLED light 100 it's a higher risk on LG.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
jrref and Cam1977 like this.
sd13 is offline  
post #498 of 532 Old 03-23-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,760
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2078 Post(s)
Liked: 774
My local magnolia design center said they are in stock in the warehouse on release hold. Apparently LG has a street date embargo but they didn’t know the date yet.

If review units go out next week maybe they’ll release within the next 1-2 weeks and not mid or late April.
helvetica bold likes this.
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #499 of 532 Old 03-25-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,760
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2078 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Value electronics said they will start shipping C9’s this week...maybe big box retailers will follow soon.
helvetica bold likes this.
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #500 of 532 Old 03-25-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ozymandis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by convexmacrolabs View Post
Older FreeSync monitors might have ranges like that, but with FreeSync 2 AMD introduced a technology called Low Framerate Compensation that allows VRR to go down to low refresh rates. The catch is that the display's maximum refresh rate must be at least 2X its minimum refresh rate.

So in the case of the 2018 Samsung models, you may have heard they only support 48-60 Hz VRR at 4K. I assume the the panel's minimum refresh rate is 48 Hz and HDMI 2.0 bandwidth limits the maximum refresh rate to 60 Hz. Since this is not 2X, it can't use LFC. However if you use the same displays at 1080p, they now have enough bandwidth to do 120 Hz. Since this is > 2X the minimum refresh rate, LFC is available, and they can do as low as 20 Hz VRR.

Now, since the 2019 LGs have HDMI 2.1 and can support 4K/120 4:4:4, they ought to have a high enough maximum refresh rate to use LFC. So, we have reason to hope for a good lower bound. If the minimum VRR was 40 Hz, that would be disappointing.

This is a good post. The only correction that I can suggest is that the multiplier for LFC seems to be 2.5x and not 2x:


https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf


We'll see what we get from LG this year. I'm not sure if the Xbox supports FreeSync2 and LFC and I don't think this has been well-tested online? If it has, I haven't seen it. You definitely need LFC for consoles, since most games are 20-30 fps range...

LG OLED65B7 | Yamaha v661 | Aperion 5.1 w/ SVS sub | PS4 Pro | Xbox One X | HTPC (i7-7700K, 1080 Ti, Define Nano S)
Pioneer 5020FD | Panasonic 46S30 | Hitachi P50V701
Ozymandis is offline  
post #501 of 532 Old 03-25-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,389
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
My local magnolia design center said they are in stock in the warehouse on release hold. Apparently LG has a street date embargo but they didn’t know the date yet.

If review units go out next week maybe they’ll release within the next 1-2 weeks and not mid or late April.


My rep said they didn’t get it in yet, I guess he’s lying to me!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
post #502 of 532 Old 03-25-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,760
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2078 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
My rep said they didn’t get it in yet, I guess he’s lying to me!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
probably not? i mean there's lots of distribution centers, not just one. my store is fed from VA, you mentioned yours is in another area.
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #503 of 532 Old 03-25-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,389
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
LG Announces 2019 OLED Pricing & Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
probably not? i mean there's lots of distribution centers, not just one. my store is fed from VA, you mentioned yours is in another area.


I’m in NYC but the warehouse the rep mentions is in Minn. Amazon has a store listing the C9 shipping March 27-April 2, go figure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
post #504 of 532 Old 03-25-2019, 01:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
3840x1080x240 support pls, LG.

Should be possible with current T-Cons
kellerr1 is offline  
post #505 of 532 Old 03-25-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4772
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I’m in NYC but the warehouse the rep mentions is in Minn. Amazon has a store listing the C9 shipping March 27-April 2, go figure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Value Electronics typically is among those recieving first distribution ftom LGE and they have stated they'll start shipping next week...

'First Availability' and 'Full Availability' are not thr same thing...
helvetica bold and jrref like this.
fafrd is offline  
post #506 of 532 Old 03-25-2019, 06:09 PM
Member
 
tbonestl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 23
According to Amazon, One can get a 55" C9 by Thursday the 28th. Looks like from Walts TV, shipped 2-day Prime through Amazon. $2,496.99.
tbonestl is offline  
post #507 of 532 Old 03-25-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,389
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Value Electronics typically is among those recieving first distribution ftom LGE and they have stated they'll start shipping next week...



'First Availability' and 'Full Availability' are not thr same thing...


I bet most retailers will start shipping the first week of April.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
post #508 of 532 Old 03-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Member
 
onesolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestl View Post
According to Amazon, One can get a 55" C9 by Thursday the 28th. Looks like from Walts TV, shipped 2-day Prime through Amazon. $2,496.99.
according? u asked and they told you or is there a page already for the c9 at amazon?

Panasonic TX-P42V10E; Onkyo TX-NR808; Xbox One S; Nvidia Shield TV (1st gen); PS3; Cambridge Audio Azur 640C; Logitech Harmony 650
Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1; BK Gemini; Just Racks JRA120‑SW‑BG
2x3m e 2x10m Supra 2.5 Classic; 3m QED P-CV1; 1m QED P-75; 3m Ixos XFA02
onesolo is offline  
post #509 of 532 Old 03-26-2019, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 21,126
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
^^^
I think April 3 is the release date: don't believe the Amazon listing

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner


markrubin is offline  
post #510 of 532 Old 03-26-2019, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
alettiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Listing "Prime" for TVs has always been very misleading. I've purchased TVs shipped from Amazon and third-parties that are listed as Prime with an expected delivery date (two days). It's never accurate with TVs - or at least not the big ones that get shipped via freight. I'm not sure why they list it as such. One guy at Amazon even told me that he doesn't know why they list them as Prime, when they clearly will take a bit longer to arrive.
alettiere is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
lg oled

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off