2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 100 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2856Likes

post #2971 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
In the list of "reset levels" a network reset is listed as being just below doing a full unit reset and the network reset does reset some of the settings for HDMI per my direct conversation with Denon.
From our own AVS resident Denon/Marantz dealer with 10 years of experience...:
Quote:
Network Reset - (“Amp Assign”, “Speaker Config.” and “Video” settings are not reset)
Guess where are the HDMI settings?
In the Video section.

Quote:
I didn't do a full factory reset but did everything short of that including disconnecting power to the unit for 2 mins, etc.

As you'll see from others involved in this conversation/problem who DID do a full reset of the AVR it had no effect on the problem.

Until I see a single owner of a 4400H who has this working then I'm going to assume it doesn't work for anyone and that it's going to be up to LG and/or Denon to resolve it. I have a feeling that LG are the ones who are going to have to fix it.
OK.

"OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more
LG 3D TV --- Denon AVR --- Wharfedale speakers --- Emotiva subs --- Media players: Intel NUC 8th & 7th gen i3's with Pulse-Eight internal HDMI-CEC adapters, Kodi on Win10, one remote to rule them all - the TV remote!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejje View Post
Ran "pixel refresh" on the TV today. Thought that might help with my problem. But seems to have made it worse now the pattern is worse. After pixel refresh it looked ok. After 15min TV just turned it self of. And when I turned it on it looked like in videos below.
Anyone seen this ever on LG OLED TV? I've contacted LG support, lets see what they say. Don't want my 2 week old TV repaired. I want a new one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9MitvPVzs4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gW6Xm_5bD8
Why not just return it to the retailer?
jmpage2 likes this.
post #2973 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see lots of discussion about doing a tv reset. One thing everyone should be warned about is that if you do a RESET on the LG and you had your tv calibrated with AUTOCAL, you lose your calibration and it's not recoverable to type in your settings because the settings aren't changed in the menus when you use AUTOCAL, they are done in tables behind the scenes. John warned me about this so hopefully nobody ever needs a RESET on an AUTOCAL calibrated tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2974 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
From our own AVS resident Denon/Marantz dealer with 10 years of experience...:

Guess where are the HDMI settings?
In the Video section.

OK.
You seem to be under the impression that continuing to troubleshoot this would potentially yield a different result.

Having spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting it I do not share that opinion. As I mentioned in a post just previous to this, point me to a single owner of an X4400H that has this working and then I'd be happy to reset my expectations around this.

The only thing that would help at this point is an HDMI test set capable of decoding the negotiation needed for EARC to function. So if you know how to get one send me a PM.

I have a six week old child and get 4-5 hours of sleep. Sitting down and jacking with resets and setting tweaks for hours in the desperate hope I will stumble on a solution is not a very productive use of my time.
post #2975 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
I see lots of discussion about doing a tv reset. One thing everyone should be warned about is that if you do a RESET on the LG and you had your tv calibrated with AUTOCAL, you lose your calibration and it's not recoverable to type in your settings because the settings aren't changed in the menus when you use AUTOCAL, they are done in tables behind the scenes. John warned me about this so hopefully nobody ever needs a RESET on an AUTOCAL calibrated tv.
I haven't calibrated mine yet but plan to. Unfortunately I think my older meter is incompatible with the latest versions of Calman.
post #2976 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6403 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by geobrick View Post
I finally got to see the 65C9, 65E9 and 77W9 (they had a Sony AG9 too) at a local store and now I know why I was confusing people. As everyone has said, the panels are identical. My confusion was because I thought the E9 had the glass over the front of the panel but the glass on the E9 is actually behind the panel and it extends below the panel and front facing speakers by about an inch. It really doesn't offer much over the C9 unless the audio is amazingly better (or if you're using the stand to get the floating effect). I'll have to go by the store again to listen to them before I decide on which one I get.
In most cases, You could add a sound bar for less and get a better sound....
geobrick likes this.
post #2977 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
You seem to be under the impression that continuing to troubleshoot this would potentially yield a different result.

Having spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting it I do not share that opinion. As I mentioned in a post just previous to this, point me to a single owner of an X4400H that has this working and then I'd be happy to reset my expectations around this.

The only thing that would help at this point is an HDMI test set capable of decoding the negotiation needed for EARC to function. So if you know how to get one send me a PM.

I have a six week old child and get 4-5 hours of sleep. Sitting down and jacking with resets and setting tweaks for hours in the desperate hope I will stumble on a solution is not a very productive use of my time.
This is the tool needed to zero in on this problem;

https://www.simplaylabs.com/view_doc...ument_id=52251
post #2978 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4362 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:

I have a X6400H and it doesn't work. I'm considering putting an HDMI switch (4K HDR capable) between the LG and the Denon to see if that solves the issue.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD

Last edited by lujan; 06-05-2019 at 09:15 AM.
post #2979 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I have a X6400H and it doesn't work. I'm considering putting an HDMI switch (4K HDR capable) between the LG and the Denon to see if that solves the issue.
A switch won't solve the problem unless it will somehow negotiate each end independently which is extremely unlikely.

A device that can capture the handshake messages on the control channel is needed, then we need to review the handshake to see if what is going wrong can be determined. Bonus points for comparing a failed handshake to a successful one on a different model Denon device.
post #2980 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are there any E9 owners in the wild?
post #2981 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've seen the back and forth on the Denon AVRs and the C9, and thought I would add my own non-Denon issues to the mix.

TL,DR: There is something not quite right in the way the C9 is interacting over eARC with compatible AVRs.

I have a Pioneer VSX-LX503 (almost bought a Denon 4400, but decided to save my pennies until HDMI 2.1 AVRs come out). When I first got my 65C9, the Pioneer and the LG seemed to communicate relatively well. After changing the eARC settings, I could get Atmos over eARC from Amazon Prime and Netflix content in the LG's apps. Then I added a Sony UBP-X800m2 player, and things got messy. Sometimes the LG would show no signal from the X800m2 while the Pioneer played sound. This was with 4K and non-4K content, disc-based or file-based. If I plugged the X800m2 directly into the C9 and ran sound directly to the Pioneer (dual HDMI outs), I got picture and a nasty lipsync problem. Other times the X800m2 would play fine through the pioneer to the C9, but I could no longer get any sound from the LG Amazon App over eARC. The first time I fixed this by factory resetting the LG. This happened again last night, and the only way to fix this (because of Pioneer's bizarre set-up), is to go through initial settings, skipping to the last one and turning eARC off and then on. From what I've learned, Pioneer originally only had auto-EDID, but given the general increase in hand-shaking problems that have arisen they have added a very kludgy fix where you can change EDID modes to see if it fixes the problem.
post #2982 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harync View Post
I've seen the back and forth on the Denon AVRs and the C9, and thought I would add my own non-Denon issues to the mix.

TL,DR: There is something not quite right in the way the C9 is interacting over eARC with compatible AVRs.

I have a Pioneer VSX-LX503 (almost bought a Denon 4400, but decided to save my pennies until HDMI 2.1 AVRs come out). When I first got my 65C9, the Pioneer and the LG seemed to communicate relatively well. After changing the eARC settings, I could get Atmos over eARC from Amazon Prime and Netflix content in the LG's apps. Then I added a Sony UBP-X800m2 player, and things got messy. Sometimes the LG would show no signal from the X800m2 while the Pioneer played sound. This was with 4K and non-4K content, disc-based or file-based. If I plugged the X800m2 directly into the C9 and ran sound directly to the Pioneer (dual HDMI outs), I got picture and a nasty lipsync problem. Other times the X800m2 would play fine through the pioneer to the C9, but I could no longer get any sound from the LG Amazon App over eARC. The first time I fixed this by factory resetting the LG. This happened again last night, and the only way to fix this (because of Pioneer's bizarre set-up), is to go through initial settings, skipping to the last one and turning eARC off and then on. From what I've learned, Pioneer originally only had auto-EDID, but given the general increase in hand-shaking problems that have arisen they have added a very kludgy fix where you can change EDID modes to see if it fixes the problem.
I hope LG gets their act together. From the limited reading I have done people aren't having these problems with the Sony sets that were updated late last year to support this feature.
jrref likes this.
post #2983 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Look at the burn in on this 77” LG oled at my local Bestbuy. They’ve been running a demo loop on it for a good 8-9 months. It’s a constant moving demo but still managed to get burn in. The last image is the scene that I discovered caused the most of the burn in. Not sure what caused the cloud looking portion though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32201D88-290C-4150-B36A-520F2512F1F6.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	2576278   Click image for larger version

Name:	4807F8FE-8782-40BF-BB59-DA0B377C587A.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2576280   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC0C875B-A992-4A8A-A8F5-6490383C435B.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	2576282  

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #2984 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyH View Post
Can you test this video at 4k 60hz and with HDR on in chrome browser? With nvidia on 4:2:2 10bit colour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVvEISFw9w0

The cog in the bottom should say HDR

The colour space of the video in stats for nerds says smpte2084 (PQ) / bt2020

does the video stutter every few seconds?

Some of the other videos Colorspace says bt709 / bt709 and they don't stutter

I'm guessing according to my research that chrome in windows 10 doesn't have vp9.2 encoder, unlike the LG tv which has vp9.2 built in.
I can check, but Like you said I'm not sure it is the proper test for issues based on the questionable HDR support in chrome. I have no issues gaming in HDR (or SDR) at 4k60 which is what I mainly care to do with my PC on the TV. Youtube I'd just use the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyH View Post
Sure, i have windows 10 running on the screen with a few chrome browsers stationary on the screen, after about 1 minute, the white chrome background will begin to dim to a grey colour.

Pretty sure it's ABL (automatic brightness limiter, that cannot be turned off.
Have you turned off the Auto Logo dimming feature (under OLED panel/or additional settings I believe, from memory)? It defaults to Low.
I don't notice a problem with this and mine is set to low, but I'm also not trying to use the PC to browse the internet for longer than a few minutes when on the TV.

Current: LG 77C9 OLED, Denon x6500H @ 7.2.4, Xbox One X, PC w. RTX2080ti
LG 55E6P OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Previous: LG 55" EF9500 OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)
post #2985 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post
Look at the burn in on this 77” LG oled at my local Bestbuy. They’ve been running a demo loop on it for a good 8-9 months. It’s a constant moving demo but still managed to get burn in. The last image is the scene that I discovered caused the most of the burn in. Not sure what caused the cloud looking portion though.
It's pretty common, those in-store displays get brutalized by the vivid picture mode and the endlessly running promo loop, the Sony displays do the same thing.
hifi59 likes this.
post #2986 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
You do understand burn-in happens due to repeatedly displaying the same content and not simply having the same content on the screen for a long time. Running the same video on a loop is how you cause burn in. Not sure if you're expecting us to be concerned about this or what?
dfa973 likes this.

TV: LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #2987 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
You do understand burn-in happens due to repeatedly displaying the same content and not simply having the same content on the screen for a long time. Running the same video on a loop is how you cause burn in. Not sure if you're expecting us to be concerned about this or what?
I do understand that, but many don’t. I have no expectations of your level of concern. No big deal. Sure, this could’ve been any oled display getting the same result under same circumstances. But I did find the severity of it interesting, along with the mystery as to what specifically in the demo loop caused those cloud looking images to get burned into the display. Looking at the loop over and over, I just couldn’t tell exactly what caused that.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.

Last edited by hifi59; 06-05-2019 at 01:45 PM.
post #2988 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Looking at the loop over and over, I just couldn’t tell exactly what caused that.
Burn-in is an additive process, it does not matter if the visible burn-in can't be identified in the played video loop contents... it was there, and every separate video made his overall contribution to different zones of burned images. What you see is a sum of all burned-in content over time.
hifi59 and anwsmh like this.

"OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more
LG 3D TV --- Denon AVR --- Wharfedale speakers --- Emotiva subs --- Media players: Intel NUC 8th & 7th gen i3's with Pulse-Eight internal HDMI-CEC adapters, Kodi on Win10, one remote to rule them all - the TV remote!
post #2989 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can someone give me the dimensions of the stand for the 55C9 and 55E9? As in how much distance is required between the display and the wall.
I'll be replacing my E6 but looking at pictures so far the stands tend to be bigger than on the 2016 models.
post #2990 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Costco 77” C9

Any information regarding the OLED77C9AUB sold at costco? I noticed they are the only vendor with the exact model number. Best Buy and other vendors list a different suffix for the C9. Is costco’s model different or have any features lacking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #2991 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2899 Post(s)
Liked: 3472
^same tv different model#, so that they dont have price match with other stores .
Ph8te likes this.
post #2992 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcup View Post
I can check, but Like you said I'm not sure it is the proper test for issues based on the questionable HDR support in chrome. I have no issues gaming in HDR (or SDR) at 4k60 which is what I mainly care to do with my PC on the TV. Youtube I'd just use the TV.

Have you turned off the Auto Logo dimming feature (under OLED panel/or additional settings I believe, from memory)? It defaults to Low.
I don't notice a problem with this and mine is set to low, but I'm also not trying to use the PC to browse the internet for longer than a few minutes when on the TV.
I think so, i will double check.

The whole thing is a bit clunky when using it as a PC monitor. I'm having to change Colour space, from 4:4:4 to to 4:2:2 8bit/10bit for different content, i'm using the remote to increase oled/brightness/contrast between HDR movies and windows. It's all very CLUNKY.

If you turn the brightness up for HDR movies, exiting the movie will blind you with super white windows 10 windows.

Chrome 4K 60 HDR, is stuttering.

I just bought a Belkin 48gbps cable, made no difference.

I guess when i finally get a hdmi2.1 video card, and can run 4k 60/120hz with 4:4:4 colourspace with HDR, then some of these problems will be solved. But at the moment, The LG C9 not very good as a PC monitor.

My old LG 4k60 55ub850t was at least consistent across content.
ShinKaz likes this.
post #2993 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Are there any E9 owners in the wild?
Yup.
post #2994 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 07:14 PM

I might have forgotten 1 option - will check when i get home

Energy saving options, might be the cause of dimming, i will try and report back.
post #2995 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
In most cases, You could add a sound bar for less and get a better sound....
I my area (Australia) the price difference between the C9 and E9 is $500. A decent soundbar costs about $1,500. So if the E9 can provide acceptable sound (not perfect as it is forward firing and thus unable to bounce sound off the ceiling) I can save $1,000.
post #2996 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Some on this thread --including me-- have contributed that the C9 will not pass an Atmos signal, via an eARC connection, to an AVR. I believe that dfa973, and others, said that this was because the C9 enables fewer than eight audio-channels over eARC. He also suggested that installing an EDID editor/regulator, such as made by HDFury could help to correct this. He was correct.

A few days ago, I took delivery of a "Dr HDMI 4K" box. Deal done. I can now pass Dolby Digital Plus plus Atmos signals. That's eight channel of audio signal sent from the C9, through the Dr HDMI 4K box, through my AVR and out to my speakers! I have not hit upon a way to have Atmos TrueHD passed-through to the AVR. I'm still working on that. The first step will be to use Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cables to see if that does anything. Next comes learning to program the box.

Be sure to use the lowest Video setting with the highest audio setting. That is: [BOTTOM SIDE] BLUE LED MODE / FHD TABLES #1 – 1080p60-444-225M-3D-FULLAUDIO. The video signal will not be used, so more audio signal will be able to pass through the 18 Gbps HDMI cable.

One caveat: do NOT use Active HDMI cables with this device unless you enjoy challenges.

Problem Solved: I had a bad HDMI cable.

Last edited by mhmercer; 06-06-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #2997 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Yes I have an 820 disc player and it is working with HDR and Dolby Vision. It is directly connected to the TV with a new 18gbps cable. I do have a problem where after an hour of playback I lose the picture and sound from the BD player when it is using ARC and I suspect the issue is related to HDMI control.
What HDMI cable brand do you use? Because i got 3 different kinds 48 gbps 28 gbps and 18 gbps and none of them work and my oppo 203 has no problem playing back hdr.
post #2998 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PissedOffPeoN View Post
Quote:
Yes I have an 820 disc player and it is working with HDR and Dolby Vision. It is directly connected to the TV with a new 18gbps cable. I do have a problem where after an hour of playback I lose the picture and sound from the BD player when it is using ARC and I suspect the issue is related to HDMI control.
What HDMI cable brand do you use? Because i got 3 different kinds 48 gbps 28 gbps and 18 gbps and none of them work and my oppo 203 has no problem playing back hdr.
I am just using cheap 4K cables from Monoprice
post #2999 of 4463 Old 06-05-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhackney View Post
I had a friend who bought one a few years ago with no extended warranty and very much regrets it today.

I bought one for ours.

YMMV
Don't need an extended warranty in Australia, due to our beautiful consumer protection laws, if it breaks within a reasonable time frame(8 years) then LG must fix or replace it.
post #3000 of 4463 Old 06-06-2019, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4362 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post
Some on this thread --including me-- have contributed that the C9 will not pass an Atmos signal, via an eARC connection, to an AVR. I believe that dfa973, and others, said that this was because the C9 enables fewer than eight audio-channels over eARC. He also suggested that installing an EDID editor/regulator, such as made by HDFury could help to correct this. He was correct.

A few days ago, I took delivery of a "Dr HDMI 4K" box. Deal done. I can now pass Dolby Digital Plus plus Atmos signals. That's eight channel of audio signal sent from the C9, through the Dr HDMI 4K box, through my AVR and out to my speakers! I have not hit upon a way to have Atmos TrueHD passed-through to the AVR. I'm still working on that. The first step will be to use Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cables to see if that does anything. Next comes learning to program the box.

One caveat: do NOT use Active HDMI cables with this device unless you enjoy challenges.
I ordered the HDFury device today so that I could do some testing with it. I'm not worried if it does not work since Amazon has a generous return policy. I do have 11.1 (7.1.4) channels so this is probably the same issue for me as others are having with eARC on this TV. Does anyone know where we can see some eARC samples to test with (perhaps YouTube?). I don't believe any of the streaming vendors have uncompressed content that is sent, correct?

lujan
516 Ultra HD
724 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
dead , pixel dead , pixels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page