2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2884Likes

Old 06-16-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6409 Post(s)
Liked: 6404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Just something I’m wondering about. Would love to see two of the same sets side by side with a regular 2k Blu-ray vs 4k. I have two 4k Blu-rays and it a real struggle to see any difference but I don’t have a good way to toggle back and forth.
It would be nice, but probably would not every happen I can tell you 4K would give a tad bit cleaner, crisper, sharper image, along with a tad bit more depth perception. Just a tad, not a huge gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
When I tried that on my C8 it was stutter central in 24 fps content. I don't see how those settings are different from having TruMotion OFF. What worked best for me to smooth out stutter in 24fps movies and 30fps games was to set DeJudder to 6 and DeBlur to 0, which takes away MOST stutter without motion looking fake or adding too many artifacts. I don't understand the reasoning behind setting both to 0, it's the same as off to my eyes. Now on the C9, the jury is out if it does better with different settings. (Yes, I'd rather take increased response time in 30FPS games and get some motion compensation than use Game Mode since most of the 30 FPS games I play involve constantly panning scenery.)
Nothing wrong with DeJudder at 6 if it works for you. Although I'll wager most viewers would notice SOE by DeJudder 6.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 235
hi guys, i m really interested in buying the LG C9 to replace my C6 . My main purpose for the upgrade is to use it as a PC monitor, i wasnt using my C6 because i m used to high refresh rate and i find 60hz sluggish compared to 120hz, but i have a couple of questions if any of the owners can help.

1- Is it possible to use 1440p/120hz rgb 4:4:4 and not 4:2:0 ?

2- can someone explain why is it a big feature that this tv support 1440p? wasnt it just working in previous model or any other model for that matter by just selecting the resolution in nvidia control panel , does it add anything by it being officially supported ?

thank you

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So far I am seeing improvements from C8 to C9 in:

Grays. On identical settings, grays no longer look slightly yellowish like on the C8, which I could never seem to get rid of.

Black crush: On the C9, I can raise the brightness much higher on black crush test patterns before the background "pure black" pixels try to kick in, which is fantastic (with identical settings). This allows more shades of gray to be visible in the first row of test blocks without raising the gamma above reference 2.2/Medium. Will have to try this again in pitch black room. I use this video pattern:
dfa973 likes this.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewookie View Post

Also, is there any way to individually set audio to internal speakers vs optical output for specific HDMI inputs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post

I don't think so.

That's too bad. I had a panasonic LCD that had that functionality, allowing specific audio output selections for each input. It was really useful for sources that I didn't need to run through my receiver, where the built in speakers were fine.

One thing I've noticed with the C9, if you have internal speakers + optical set, the signal to the receiver seems to be only in stereo, ie PLII, where if you have it set to just optical, it gets a dolby digital signal.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
Nothing wrong with DeJudder at 6 if it works for you. Although I'll wager most viewers would notice SOE by DeJudder 6.
The current de-judder implementation of the 2019 models (firmware 03.60.05) causes a lot of artifacts for some content even on the lowest setting.

You can test it yourself with the Spears & Munsil test patterns posted here (2nd link).
You will see some pretty nasty and clearly visible artifacts around the borders of the rectangles with any de-judder value above 0.

I was able to see those kind of artifacts in quite some regular 24p content to an extent which is really disturbing and imo unacceptable. That's why I currently don't use TruMotion on my C9 at all.

Last edited by HiFi4Vision; 06-16-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewookie View Post
That's too bad. I had a panasonic LCD that had that functionality, allowing specific audio output selections for each input. It was really useful for sources that I didn't need to run through my receiver, where the built in speakers were fine.

One thing I've noticed with the C9, if you have internal speakers + optical set, the signal to the receiver seems to be only in stereo, ie PLII, where if you have it set to just optical, it gets a dolby digital signal.
If you can use HDMI for your audio, you probably should as it supports more audio formats than optical does. Optical is superior to the old analog connections, but inferior to HDMI.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
Old 06-16-2019, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
If you can use HDMI for your audio, you probably should as it supports more audio formats than optical does. Optical is superior to the old analog connections, but inferior to HDMI.
For sure. Just pretty happy with my "old" 5.1 audio setup, not looking to upgrade. I'm running a panasonic XR57 all digital receiver, unfortunately it only has 1 HDMI port, an Ascend Acoustics 5 speaker setup, with a HSU subwoofer.

That leaves me two choices for A/V setups.

- Run nearly everything through a 5 port HDMI switch --> Panasonic receiver --> a single HDMI port on the LG C9. This is the setup i've been running for the past 12+ years with my still working Panasonic TH-50PH9UK plasma.

- Run individual components directly into LC C9 --> Optical Out to Panasonic receiver
Old 06-16-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post

SOE is caused by DeBlur, not by DeJudder, hence my DeBlur is 0.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 641
03.60.04 just came OTA on my set I'm in California

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2019, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

UGH: I knew there had to be a catch to this 77 C9 glory. It seems to be overaggressive ABL compared to the C8. I don't know if it has to do with the step from 65 to 77 or C8 to C9, but the ABL is on steroids all of a sudden. I have a drastic example I found:

On Apple TV 4K, in either HDR or DV, go to the store page (or owned page) for the original Lego Movie. It's bright yellow, but looks kinda drab/dim. You can tell the ABL kicks in immediately. OK, now press the Settings button to get the little strip on the left of the screen. BAM! WAY brighter yellow, way brighter whites, just because a 10% strip of the screen is now a little darker? It's outrageous! Was testing in Standard mode. My 65 C8 does NOT do this at all. Would love to show this to LG and ask why the C8 doesn't do this.

Would appreciate some confirmations and opinions.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

So it turns out, the crazy ABL difference was due to the different menus on the C8 compared to the C9. The C9 adds a giant darkened gradient dropshadow to the menu that spans half the darn screen, so of course it's going to trigger ABL like mad on a bright scene when you toggle it. Some colors like yellow are worse then others though. The C8 has no such drop shadow on its menu. Not sure why they had to mess with it. The set doesn't seem as overall as bright as the C8, but of course, Rtings shows most peak brightness values are higher on the C8 than the C9 for some odd reason.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
UGH: I knew there had to be a catch to this 77 C9 glory. It seems to be overaggressive ABL compared to the C8. I don't know if it has to do with the step from 65 to 77 or C8 to C9, but the ABL is on steroids all of a sudden. I have a drastic example I found:

On Apple TV 4K, in either HDR or DV, go to the store page (or owned page) for the original Lego Movie. It's bright yellow, but looks kinda drab/dim. You can tell the ABL kicks in immediately. OK, now press the Settings button to get the little strip on the left of the screen. BAM! WAY brighter yellow, way brighter whites, just because a 10% strip of the screen is now a little darker? It's outrageous! Was testing in Standard mode. My 65 C8 does NOT do this at all. Would love to show this to LG and ask why the C8 doesn't do this.

Does yours lean back on the stand?
Old 06-16-2019, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
So it turns out, the crazy ABL difference was due to the different menus on the C8 compared to the C9. The C9 adds a giant darkened gradient dropshadow to the menu that spans half the darn screen, so of course it's going to trigger ABL like mad on a bright scene when you toggle it. Some colors like yellow are worse then others though. The C8 has no such drop shadow on its menu. Not sure why they had to mess with it. The set doesn't seem as overall as bright as the C8, but of course, Rtings shows most peak brightness values are higher on the C8 than the C9 for some odd reason.
Yes it's ridiculous when using windows.

A large window causes dimming, and mostly black causes brightening.

So windows are changing between dark and light all over the place.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Does yours lean back on the stand?

No, it does not. I even tested with one of those bubble level things, smack dab in the center. My problem is the larger TV size now puts the center of the screen too far over my head. I can take out a riser, but then it might be too low. But that's not the TVs fault at least!

Last edited by Flavius; 06-16-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
SOE is caused by DeBlur, not by DeJudder, hence my DeBlur is 0.

I beg to differ. I believe on this TV it's a combination of both causing SOE. I have absolutely no SOA on my TV at De-Blur set to 10, but get it when I set De-Judder to 8 or higher with De-Blur at 10. I will lower De-Blur to see if this is still the case and report back.

EDIT: Just tried it with De-Blur set to zero. I was able to remove the Judder in Aquaman (around 1:22 into the movie, outdoor square scene where the camera pans by a chalkboard--focus on the chalk board, then later on a man wearing a white shirt as he walks by) with the Judder set to 5. So, there is some minor interaction but SOE to my eyes starts when De-Judder hits 7 and De-Blur is at 0.

I own an LG 65" C9. I'm thrilled with it.

Last edited by aflscott; 06-16-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Should Dolby Vision OLED light be 100 or 50?! I read reviews early on with my C8 that said the DV oled light should be put to 50 unlike the 100 setting for HDR, so that’s what I did. Why then does my new C9 default DV oled light to 100?! So confused now. Did LG change things for the C9 or do I dial it back down to 50? Thanks....
Old 06-17-2019, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So based on some users here the c9 cannot get as bright as the c8 and have even more aggressive abl? LG what are you doing smh
Old 06-17-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Should Dolby Vision OLED light be 100 or 50?! I read reviews early on with my C8 that said the DV oled light should be put to 50 unlike the 100 setting for HDR, so that’s what I did. Why then does my new C9 default DV oled light to 100?! So confused now. Did LG change things for the C9 or do I dial it back down to 50? Thanks....
As with the previous generations: you should leave the OLED light setting on its default value for Dolby Vision and never change it.
LG changed the default value from 50 to 100, most likely because it was a FAQ.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2055 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
So based on some users here the c9 cannot get as bright as the c8 and have even more aggressive abl? LG what are you doing smh
No, wrong on both accounts. You’re making an assumption on one users comments.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7277 Post(s)
Liked: 8048
Quote:
Not what I’ve found. I had the 65” C8 and now the 65” C9 and I’ve found ABL to be less aggressive on the C9. In fact it’s so mild as to be hard to notice in almost any case.

Additionally, another form of ABL was very noticeable on the C8 with news channels and their persistent banners. No change in setting could alleviate the very significant overall dimming that would occur after about a minute. Even changes in the service menu didn’t help. I and other owners were very vocal about that. On the C9, if that behavior still exists, it’s far far milder so as to be almost unnoticeable. You can change that behavior if you’re worried about burn-in, but at least you now have control over it.

As for overall brightness, I can’t say I see any difference between the two, but you’d need both sets in front of you to be sure. So if there is a measurable difference, it’s below the threshold where I can easily notice it.
Markalark and anwsmh like this.

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
Old 06-17-2019, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

I agree with Ken.
I had E8 prior to E9. (Both 65"). I can notice far less ABL on E9 compared to E8 to the point where ABL doesn't bother me anymore.

Regarding brightness, I don't notice much difference if at all. I have not done any side by side comparisons but I feel both are about the same in terms of sheer brightness.
That being said, whether it's E8 or E9, neither of them are no where near bright enough to produce punchy picture like, for example, QLED.
One of main reasons I prefer to play games on 2,000 nits Samsung Q9FN.
Sheer brightness is not OLED's forte.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
No, it does not. I even tested with one of those bubble level things, smack dab in the center. My problem is the larger TV size now puts the center of the screen too far over my head. I can take out a riser, but then it might be too low. But that's not the TVs fault at least!
Well that kind of sucks (for me) because it means one of a few things;

1. I've somehow put my stand on wrong (seems hard to believe since there were no insertion tabs and it's aligned correctly with the mounting holes).
2. The stand I have is different.
3. The stand I have is defective.
4. TV is defective somehow.

Did you have to lock the stand in at all? On mine it just lined up with the mounting holes and I screwed them in, there didn't appear to be any way to lock it in.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

Panel-to-panel manufacturing variation is significant enough that it's impossible to make a valid conclusion regarding brightness by comparing only two panels to one another. Rtings also measured the A9G as less bright than the A9F, but the less than 10% decrease is probably within LGD's allowable manufacturing variation.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
2- can someone explain why is it a big feature that this tv support 1440p? wasnt it just working in previous model or any other model for that matter by just selecting the resolution in nvidia control panel , does it add anything by it being officially supported ?
Previous models didn't support 1440p as you can see here. Mainly because we're talking about TVs and 1440p has little to no relevance for TVs. All video content is either SD, HD or UHD.
So supporting 1440p is only relevant if you want to use your OLED TV for PC gaming. Also note that it's still not recommended to use an OLED TV as a PC monitor (outside gaming) due to the permanent static content you have on a regular desktop.

That's why this is kind of a "big feature" as you call it. It's a step towards using an OLED TV for PC gaming.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:57 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:

Playing The Lego Movie 2, I am not seeing ABL kick in with the menu engaged.
Make user Energy Saving is off and logo dimming is off. Also, engage Dynamic Tone Mapping if you want brighter UHD APL.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
Old 06-17-2019, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I have a 65” C8 and a 65” C9. I would say that the really small highlights are noticeably brighter on my C9, from probably 25% of the screen down to 2%. It’s not a blow you away difference, but I have noticed it for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
The C9 handles motion better than the C8.
Also, D-NICE knows a thing or two about these TVs. At the end of the day use the setting that appear pleasing to you. I was just passing the info along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't speak to the C8 but the C9 is MUCH better than the C7.
I am using Clear which is a good compromise settings. There is still stutter on some pans. It is a smoother than off, so there is some SOA but not bad.

- Rich
anwsmh likes this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
Old 06-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Well that kind of sucks (for me) because it means one of a few things;

1. I've somehow put my stand on wrong (seems hard to believe since there were no insertion tabs and it's aligned correctly with the mounting holes).
2. The stand I have is different.
3. The stand I have is defective.
4. TV is defective somehow.

Did you have to lock the stand in at all? On mine it just lined up with the mounting holes and I screwed them in, there didn't appear to be any way to lock it in.
I didn't notice any locking in per say. I did like you and just lined up the mounting holes and screwed them in. If the holes lined up you had it on correct. I assume you have all the screws tight?
If not it could make the screen lean back. See if you can take the weight off the stand and check for tightness of the screws.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
Old 06-17-2019, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have nothing to add that advances this thread. However, I just want everyone to know the struggle is real. Ditch the Panasonic 65VT60 for a 65" C9? Everything in my being says yes... other than that little fiber that continues to whisper "But the 77" will eventually be cheaper..."
anwsmh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dead , pixel dead , pixels