2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4981Likes

post #3601 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazepharmacist View Post
It performs fine. Nothing wrong with it. I just want HDMI 2.1 for next generation video game consoles.
If you have a good set, don't play the panel lottery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Has anyone by chance tried the Xbox with Atmos through eARC?
post #3603 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6684 Post(s)
Liked: 6681
Quote:
I wonder if Costco will let me return my C8 to get a C9. It's been about 120 days lol. Probably not. Worth a shot to ask though.
Back in the day Costco had a unlimited warranty policy on there electronics, but people started abusing it just looking to upgrade.... They still have this policy on some goods

Quote:
It performs fine. Nothing wrong with it. I just want HDMI 2.1 for next generation video game consoles.
Anyone else out there question if this HDMI 2.1 that LG uses will be 100% compliant when the out put devises for HDMI 2.1 come out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3604 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Anyone else out there question if this HDMI 2.1 that LG uses will be 100% compliant when the out put devises for HDMI 2.1 come out?
Sure.
Especially after seeing the eARC stuff.

In most cases it is better to buy source devices in the first place.
Then go for the television, AVR etc..

On the other hand: LG stated multiple times that they are using 48G chipsets.
At least in theory we could expect [email protected] I do not know how to
implement this the wrong way. If LG rolls out the "summer-update" that enables [email protected] via HDMI
I am going to wait for reviews (This probably takes some more time unless DP-HDMI-Adapters are on the market at that point). If everything works like it should I will buy the C9.

In terms of next-gen consoles the primary question will be: Do these consoles use FreeSync or
HDMI VRR. Since Microsoft already supports HDMI VRR on their X I expect them to do the same on
Project Scarlett. PS5 will be another story though.

Last edited by fenster3000; 06-19-2019 at 02:52 PM.
post #3605 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Also, this morning the C9 had changed from HDMI to Internal speakers when I made no change, very weird?
I'm experiencing the same issue with HDMI ARC switching to internal speakers.

It seems to be a bug that was introduced with the latest firmware.
post #3606 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I know we're not supposed to talk about price, but Newegg. I wonder if I can contact Best Buy before delivery to price match?

Hello There
post #3607 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush083 View Post
I know we're not supposed to talk about price, but Newegg. I wonder if I can contact Best Buy before delivery to price match?
If I were u I would do it via phone to the customer service instead of an actual store simply because best buy stores will not price match newegg but their customer service will

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #3608 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

No not at all,

On the LG website

W9 ~ B9, SM94 ~ SM90: HDMI ports support HDCP 2.3 and 120fps @ 2160p

hdcp2.3 and the resolution/refresh rate should be enough to give it away.
post #3609 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush083 View Post
Let me save you some time -- order it from Newegg, BB won't price match that price. Feel free to try it yourself and let us know if they do for you, but they didn't for me. I got mine from Newegg and it arrived in pristine condition.
post #3610 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4636 Post(s)
Liked: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstring41 View Post

I guess we should report it on the LG Community site?

https://lgcommunity.us.com/

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD

Last edited by lujan; 06-19-2019 at 04:26 PM.
post #3611 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I guess we should report it on the LG Community site?

https://lgcommunity.us.com/
Hi ~,

So here I am - still on the fence between OLED and LCD. I currently have the A9G and love it, but for the price difference (despite the ARC/eARC issues reported here), ~$900 in savings is nothing to scoff off. The biggest I can go is 65" due to the TV being placed in a corner in my living room.

The OLED is plenty bright enough during the day, but my wife watches a lot of cable programming with the bugs displayed frequently (i.e. TLC, A&E, etc.) - She probably watches it on average 2 hours a night. Any concerns with burn-in with that kind of programming. We don't game much, display photos on TV, etc.

I'm on the fence between going with the C9 or the Q90R. I'm not looking to debate LCD vs OLED technology and all the pros/cons of each. Anyone with real world use that is close to what mine is and experiences with burn-in.

8KCRT - thanks for your recommendation earlier in the thread. Before I pull the trigger, want to see if anyone has had issues with cable TV and the bugs in the lower right corner.

Thanks.
post #3612 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoGo83 View Post
Let me save you some time -- order it from Newegg, BB won't price match that price. Feel free to try it yourself and let us know if they do for you, but they didn't for me. I got mine from Newegg and it arrived in pristine condition.
Need to amend my first comment. BestBuy wasn't able to do it because it's shipping from a 3rd party and not Newegg. If it was shipping from Newegg directly, it falls under their price match guarantee. I apologize if this is overstepping the pricing bounds. This is all I will say about it.

Last edited by SV1432; 06-19-2019 at 05:54 PM.
post #3613 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
If I were u I would do it via phone to the customer service instead of an actual store simply because best buy stores will not price match newegg but their customer service will

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I confirmed with customer service that it's pretty easy to do, but I do have to come into the store. I haven't taken delivery of it yet. However, since it's not sold and shipped by Newegg Best Buy may not honor it and I would end up having to cancel it and just order it through Newegg.

However, I never confirmed whether they can do price matching if it's through another company on their marketplace. I don't see many things sold and shipped by Newegg so maybe it's not the same as their policy for Amazon. In any case I will find out after I finish work. Appreciate all the feedback.

Edit: Nevermind they don't ship to Hawaii. FML.

Hello There

Last edited by Ambush083; 06-19-2019 at 05:43 PM.
post #3614 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello. New guy here. After several years of waiting, reviewing, and reading the forums, I finally decided to pull the trigger and purchase the 65C9. Very pleased so far. I did run into a glitch I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so thought I would share. This was while running the firmware 03.50.31.

For some reason, the set got confused about the HDMI inputs. It crossed them, and indicated there were two HDMI 1 inputs. It thought my PS4 was on both HDMI 1 & 3, instead of 3 only. The duplicate entry also had a different icon I haven't seen anywhere else... an HDMI icon with three branches leading from it. Selecting this phantom input displayed my AppleTV on HDMI 1. At one point, when I pressed the button on my PS4 controller, the TV switched the PS4 display from #3 to my AppleTV on #1 .

Called support line; they had me do a hard reset by unplugging and holding power button for 10 seconds. That worked temporarily until I powered up the PS4 again, then the duplicate input returned. I had to perform factory reset to fix the error. Screenshots attached.

Looking forward to learning more about customizing the display and watching some 4K content. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2385.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	2582108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2382.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	2582110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2384.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	2582112  
Ambush083 likes this.

LG 65C9
post #3615 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket2294 View Post
Hello. New guy here. After several years of waiting, reviewing, and reading the forums, I finally decided to pull the trigger and purchase the 65C9. Very pleased so far. I did run into a glitch I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so thought I would share. This was while running the firmware 03.50.31.

For some reason, the set got confused about the HDMI inputs. It crossed them, and indicated there were two HDMI 1 inputs. It thought my PS4 was on both HDMI 1 & 3, instead of 3 only. The duplicate entry also had a different icon I haven't seen anywhere else... an HDMI icon with three branches leading from it. Selecting this phantom input displayed my AppleTV on HDMI 1. At one point, when I pressed the button on my PS4 controller, the TV switched the PS4 display from #3 to my AppleTV on #1 .

Called support line; they had me do a hard reset by unplugging and holding power button for 10 seconds. That worked temporarily until I powered up the PS4 again, then the duplicate input returned. I had to perform factory reset to fix the error. Screenshots attached.

Looking forward to learning more about customizing the display and watching some 4K content. Cheers!
I've had that happen a couple times. I just ignore those "ghosts" and they go away after a while. So far they haven't caused me any problems, so I haven't given them a lot of thought. The only time it was a slight issue was when I had my Shield plugged into my AVR and the tv listed 2 Shields on HDMI2 and I had to guess which one was the real one.
Rocket2294 likes this.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #3616 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
I've had that happen a couple times. I just ignore those "ghosts" and they go away after a while. So far they haven't caused me any problems, so I haven't given them a lot of thought. The only time it was a slight issue was when I had my Shield plugged into my AVR and the tv listed 2 Shields on HDMI2 and I had to guess which one was the real one.
Good to know. Thanx! I'd hate to have to constantly reset.
post #3617 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Some interesting findings in side by side comparison testing the 77 C9 to the 65 C8 via a 4K full 2.0b bandwidth splitter after trying to get the TVs to match each other as closely as possible in SDR,HDR and DV. All with Standard mode which is my go to preference (sorry purists and calibrators.) Sets have never been professionally calibrated and are on latest FW. Nevertheless I'm fairly confident I know what I'm doing even though I tend to prefer a cooler picture to the overly warm look of Cinema and Technicolor modes. I do try to eyeball for accurate color and I've used self calibration discs (S&M, Disney) in the past on the C8. (I know, I know, no need to lecture.) And yes, I know the same settings will look different on different panels. Nevertheless, there seems to be more than panel variance going on here.

1) The C9 renders huge swaths of shadow detail that just don't exist on the C8 in both DV and HDR all without any artifacts or blobs. Absolutely fabulous, I was pretty amazed. And yes this is with brightness 50, contrast 100 and medium 2.2 gamma, and correct oled light settings depending on the mode for each TV. A good example is the dark kids bedroom scene in the The House with a Clock in its Walls with both sets on OLED 100 Brightness 50. Probably 30% of the image is just missing on the C8!

2) The C9 implements Dolby Vision VERY differently depending on the scene. HDR is more or less the same, but not DV. The Apple TV 4K screensavers in DV, and only CERTAIN ones, show dramatic differences. Where the C8 is overblown with lost detail, the C9 delivers a considerably darker picture but with a lot more detail. A great example is the Great Wall of China screensaver. HDR modes are the same. And yes, again, settings on both sets are the same, and other scenes look completely identical. It's as if the C9 processes different or more DV information for the same scenes. Would love to know which is "correct". Since the China scene look the same in HDR, I really do think these screensavers have DV encoding

3) Skin tones are more natural on the C9 and less yellowish. This could be due to panel variance on uncalibrated sets, I just don't know. On the flipside, the C8 is better with dark reds, rendering them richer (Superman's cape in the dark). It's only with very specific hues that the differences are there.

4) In order to get DV and HDR to look as punchy on the C9 as on the C8, I have to set Dynamic Contrast to Medium on the C9 where I can get away with Low on the C8. A good example of this is the dark scene in Batman vs Superman with Batman on the roof and his HDR/DV "shining eyes" mask in full effect. If I don't increase the Dynamic Contrast on the C9, it looks more washed out than the C8 with less impact. I don't know which is more correct, it's a preference thing.

5) The C8 after all manner of tweaking is still a tad brighter with brightly lit content at least in HDR/DV modes. I am thinking this could be due to to pixel size or density, i.e. the tighter pixel density of the 65 vs the 77 at the same light output makes the 65 look brighter whereas the 77 is naturally more diffuse with more space between pixels or larger pixels? Not really sure if they use bigger pixels or more space between them for the larger TV. I'm not too upset, because I do like to watch DV/HDR content in the dark which makes things like Apple TV menus on the C8 a little TOO bright. (considering you don't want to lower oled light for those modes)

I wanted to test my PS4 Pro with both sets, but I actually blew the circuit breaker in my house once I turned on the console with both TVs on since all power was coming from one outlet. So tonight I will use an extension cord for one TV so it goes on a different breaker. This is a new house too, but the breaker is only 15 amp and wiring is probably too low a gauge for a bigger one. Ugh. Cheap builders.
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by Flavius; 06-19-2019 at 06:51 PM.
post #3618 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Do you own a C9?

VRR works for me w/ HDR. I experience no flickering. It. Just. Works.

How do you KNOW it works? PLEASE explain how you KNOW. Because on my C9 with X1X, I just can't tell difference with VRR on vs OFF in Gears 5. What scenes, where should I look? Any other titles to look at besides Gears and Division 2?
post #3619 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Do you own a C9?

VRR works for me w/ HDR. I experience no flickering. It. Just. Works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rtings.com said they couldn't get it working with HDR

The LG C9 has a native 120Hz refresh rate, and it supports VRR, which is great. Unfortunately, it only supports HDMI Forum's new HDMI-VRR format, which is not compatible with FreeSync or G-SYNC. The only device currently on the market which supports HDMI-VRR is the Xbox One. We tested it for compatibility with the Xbox One, and it does appear to work, but only in SDR. If HDR is enabled on the Xbox and you are in Game mode, the screen flickers constantly. LG has confirmed that they are working on a fix. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to determine the VRR range with an Xbox One.

Either way I don't have an xbox, so i can't test it, just curious how you got it working.
post #3620 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1432 View Post
Hi ~,

So here I am - still on the fence between OLED and LCD. I currently have the A9G and love it, but for the price difference (despite the ARC/eARC issues reported here), ~$900 in savings is nothing to scoff off. The biggest I can go is 65" due to the TV being placed in a corner in my living room.

The OLED is plenty bright enough during the day, but my wife watches a lot of cable programming with the bugs displayed frequently (i.e. TLC, A&E, etc.) - She probably watches it on average 2 hours a night. Any concerns with burn-in with that kind of programming. We don't game much, display photos on TV, etc.

I'm on the fence between going with the C9 or the Q90R. I'm not looking to debate LCD vs OLED technology and all the pros/cons of each. Anyone with real world use that is close to what mine is and experiences with burn-in.

8KCRT - thanks for your recommendation earlier in the thread. Before I pull the trigger, want to see if anyone has had issues with cable TV and the bugs in the lower right corner.

Thanks.
I saw the Q90R. It’s a nice set. I don’t think you would do wrong with either.

One thing you might want to consider is no Dolby Vision with the Sammy. They have decided on HDR10+. I Am not aware of any HDR10+ content out there yet. LG supports DV and HDR10 but no 10+.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
post #3621 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyH View Post
Rtings.com said they couldn't get it working with HDR

The LG C9 has a native 120Hz refresh rate, and it supports VRR, which is great. Unfortunately, it only supports HDMI Forum's new HDMI-VRR format, which is not compatible with FreeSync or G-SYNC. The only device currently on the market which supports HDMI-VRR is the Xbox One. We tested it for compatibility with the Xbox One, and it does appear to work, but only in SDR. If HDR is enabled on the Xbox and you are in Game mode, the screen flickers constantly. LG has confirmed that they are working on a fix. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to determine the VRR range with an Xbox One.

Either way I don't have an xbox, so i can't test it, just curious how you got it working.

The fix is already out with the latest firmware. There is NO flickering with VRR turned on and the C9 connected directly to the console with an HDR mode title (Gears 5). MY problem is, I can't actually tell if VRR is engaged to begin with!! I am very sensitive to stutter, FPS, and motion issues, and I just can't the tell the bloody difference! The lack of a notification that VRR is engaged like there is for HDR and DV is criminal! I wish LG would take gamers more seriously like Samsung does. Does Sammy announce when FreeSync is on, I wonder?

I guess I will try to spot the difference in SDR mode since rtings says it works there. Hopefully LG's "fix" was not to disable VRR in HDR mode. Getting the LG vs Sammy was already a hard decision for me as a heavy gamer who watches tons of movies too. If LG hadn't brought out 2.1 first, hadn't offered VRR, and Sammy didn't still have overaggressive local dimming AND overblown HDR highlights, I would have went with the the Samsung. But it's hard to go back once you try OLED and my C8 spoiled me.
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by Flavius; 06-19-2019 at 07:20 PM.
post #3622 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Looking at the 77C9 and trying to figure out placement and mount height options/configurations with my Sanus VLT5 mount. From pics I've seen, it looks as though the mounting holes are closer to the bottom of the panel, not centered, correct? If so, can someone tell me the distance from the top edge of the TV to the top mounting holes? Thank you.
Me too, anyone got this info? Sanus has a calculator where you put in the 77C9 and the BLT2 and such but then it wants you to tell it the distance between the top of the display and the top mounting holes on the TV. My calculations say 23”.

I also think the screws should be M6-12.

Remember to yell with a German accent when you tell others of the “HEIGHTFINDER!”
http://https://www.sanus.com/en_US/h...tered/42/23/in

Last edited by Tanquen; 06-20-2019 at 06:26 AM.
post #3623 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
The fix is already out with the latest firmware. There is NO flickering with VRR turned on and the C9 connected directly to the console with an HDR mode title (Gears 5). MY problem is, I can't actually tell if VRR is engaged to begin with!! I am very sensitive to stutter, FPS, and motion issues, and I just can't the tell the bloody difference! The lack of a notification that VRR is engaged like there is for HDR and DV is criminal! I wish LG would take gamers more seriously like Samsung does. Does Sammy announce when FreeSync is on, I wonder?

I guess I will try to spot the difference in SDR mode since rtings says it works there. Hopefully LG's "fix" was not to disable VRR in HDR mode. Getting the LG vs Sammy was already a hard decision for me as a heavy gamer who watches tons of movies too. If LG hadn't brought out 2.1 first, hadn't offered VRR, and Sammy didn't still have overaggressive local dimming AND overblown HDR highlights, I would have went with the the Samsung. But it's hard to go back once you try OLED and my C8 spoiled me.

I believe someone in this thread a while back described VRR perfectly. It’s something you really don’t notice. It’s almost like an insurance policy for keeping the gaming running smoothly with no disruptions. I believe the biggest difference comes with Wolfenstein 2 running in 4K mode on the X1X as described by Digital Foundry. I play Division 2 regularly with a friend and aside from a bug due to streaming the game world that causes an occasional stutter it runs very smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #3624 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe someone in this thread a while back described VRR perfectly. It’s something you really don’t notice. It’s almost like an insurance policy for keeping the gaming running smoothly with no disruptions. I believe the biggest difference comes with Wolfenstein 2 running in 4K mode on the X1X as described by Digital Foundry. I play Division 2 regularly with a friend and aside from a bug due to streaming the game world that causes an occasional stutter it runs very smoothly.

But the Digital Foundry article was talking about FreeSync support on X1X. Wolfenstein 2 DOES NOT support VRR according to the Microsoft store, which doesn't list VRR as a feature for this game like they do for others like Gears, Division 2, etc.
post #3625 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
But the Digital Foundry article was talking about FreeSync support on X1X. Wolfenstein 2 DOES NOT support VRR according to the Microsoft store, which doesn't list VRR as a feature for this game like they do for others like Gears, Division 2, etc.
Yeah It's all a bit grey at the moment.

LG needs to provide clarification, and we need hdmi2.1 video cards or adapters to test properly.. It's only a matter of time.
post #3626 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe someone in this thread a while back described VRR perfectly. It’s something you really don’t notice. It’s almost like an insurance policy for keeping the gaming running smoothly with no disruptions.

I'm a scientist by trade. If I can't conduct a test to prove it works, it might as well not exist at all.
Jason626 and 8KCRT like this.
post #3627 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Anyone else having issues where the C9 will lose the wireless connection and you have to reconnect every day? I have both wireless and wired so this may be the issue. Will it not maintain the wireless connection if you have it wired as well? Also, this morning the C9 had changed from HDMI to Internal speakers when I made no change, very weird?
I use the wireless connection and reconnecting is almost a daily occurrence . I have run speed tests on my phone and Ipad Pro when it occurs and the signal levels are high . I have the Giga internet plan with Verizon FIOS. Because of that problem and a few others my C9 is being replaced by Best Buy .
post #3628 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Some interesting findings in side by side comparison testing the 77 C9 to the 65 C8 via a 4K full 2.0b bandwidth splitter after trying to get the TVs to match each other as closely as possible in SDR,HDR and DV. All with Standard mode which is my go to preference (sorry purists and calibrators.) Sets have never been professionally calibrated and are on latest FW. Nevertheless I'm fairly confident I know what I'm doing even though I tend to prefer a cooler picture to the overly warm look of Cinema and Technicolor modes. I do try to eyeball for accurate color and I've used self calibration discs (S&M, Disney) in the past on the C8. (I know, I know, no need to lecture.) And yes, I know the same settings will look different on different panels. Nevertheless, there seems to be more than panel variance going on here.

1) The C9 renders huge swaths of shadow detail that just don't exist on the C8 in both DV and HDR all without any artifacts or blobs. Absolutely fabulous, I was pretty amazed. And yes this is with brightness 50, contrast 100 and medium 2.2 gamma, and correct oled light settings depending on the mode for each TV. A good example is the dark kids bedroom scene in the The House with a Clock in its Walls with both sets on OLED 100 Brightness 50. Probably 30% of the image is just missing on the C8!

2) The C9 implements Dolby Vision VERY differently depending on the scene. HDR is more or less the same, but not DV. The Apple TV 4K screensavers in DV, and only CERTAIN ones, show dramatic differences. Where the C8 is overblown with lost detail, the C9 delivers a considerably darker picture but with a lot more detail. A great example is the Great Wall of China screensaver. HDR modes are the same. And yes, again, settings on both sets are the same, and other scenes look completely identical. It's as if the C9 processes different or more DV information for the same scenes. Would love to know which is "correct". Since the China scene look the same in HDR, I really do think these screensavers have DV encoding

3) Skin tones are more natural on the C9 and less yellowish. This could be due to panel variance on uncalibrated sets, I just don't know. On the flipside, the C8 is better with dark reds, rendering them richer (Superman's cape in the dark). It's only with very specific hues that the differences are there.

4) In order to get DV and HDR to look as punchy on the C9 as on the C8, I have to set Dynamic Contrast to Medium on the C9 where I can get away with Low on the C8. A good example of this is the dark scene in Batman vs Superman with Batman on the roof and his HDR/DV "shining eyes" mask in full effect. If I don't increase the Dynamic Contrast on the C9, it looks more washed out than the C8 with less impact. I don't know which is more correct, it's a preference thing.

5) The C8 after all manner of tweaking is still a tad brighter with brightly lit content at least in HDR/DV modes. I am thinking this could be due to to pixel size or density, i.e. the tighter pixel density of the 65 vs the 77 at the same light output makes the 65 look brighter whereas the 77 is naturally more diffuse with more space between pixels or larger pixels? Not really sure if they use bigger pixels or more space between them for the larger TV. I'm not too upset, because I do like to watch DV/HDR content in the dark which makes things like Apple TV menus on the C8 a little TOO bright. (considering you don't want to lower oled light for those modes)

I wanted to test my PS4 Pro with both sets, but I actually blew the circuit breaker in my house once I turned on the console with both TVs on since all power was coming from one outlet. So tonight I will use an extension cord for one TV so it goes on a different breaker. This is a new house too, but the breaker is only 15 amp and wiring is probably too low a gauge for a bigger one. Ugh. Cheap builders.
Any chance the lost shadow detail you are seeing on the C8 compared to C9 is due to being on the latest firmware which is known to crush blacks? I would like to see a comparison when the beta firmware that fixes this issue finally releases.
post #3629 of 7880 Old 06-19-2019, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodey View Post
I use the wireless connection and reconnecting is almost a daily occurrence . I have run speed tests on my phone and Ipad Pro when it occurs and the signal levels are high . I have the Giga internet plan with Verizon FIOS. Because of that problem and a few others my C9 is being replaced by Best Buy .
Quote:
Anyone else having issues where the C9 will lose the wireless connection and you have to reconnect every day?
Post this bug to the LG Comunity - https://lgcommunity.us.com

------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstring41 View Post
Quote:
Also, this morning the C9 had changed from HDMI to Internal speakers when I made no change, very weird?
@steelstring41 and @lujan , please post your firmware versions, so we can identify if it's firmware related problem or a more general hardware bug.

If it's a general hardware issue, the warranty can cover it.
If it's a firmware induced issue, a post on the LG Comunity - https://lgcommunity.us.com would be welcomed.
post #3630 of 7880 Old 06-20-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Me too, anyone got this info? Sanus has a calculator where you put in the 77C9 and the BLT2 and such but then it wants you to tell it the distance between the top of the display and the top mounting holes on the TV. My calculations say 23”.

I also think the screws should be M6-12.

Remember to yell with a German accent will you tell others of the “HEIGHTFINDER!”

https://www.sanus.com/en_US/heightfi...tered/42/23/in

Yes, I’m current using the sanus height finder which I used previously for my Panny 60VT60 to see where the 77C9 and 77A9G will be placed on my wall with my current sanus VLT5 mount. Looking through Sony 77A9G manuals I found out that the length from the top of the panel to the top mounting hole is 22” but haven’t found any info in the 77C9 manuals. Could they be the same?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RichB likes this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
dead , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page