2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 135 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4970Likes

post #4021 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiman View Post
Will do. Thanks. Although, it's a bit tricky to test...because I could watch for an hour and never see the glitch...but that wouldn't mean it wouldn't show up if I kept going for an hour and 5 minutes. However, if I do see the glitch, that will be confirmatory.
Quote:
I guess my question then becomes: What does it mean to say "it's the TV"? Is it an inherent problem with the TV that I just have to live with (unless I can find a setting that fixes it or it gets addressed in a firmware update)? Or is it my particular TV...and it needs a repair or replacement?

P.S. It's the latest 4K Apple TV.
If this is as random and as rare as you described; and especially if it only happens with these two apps, then I really doubt there is anything wrong with your TV. Could be a streaming bandwidth issue, could be an issue with the apps. The Amazon app is known for stuttering problems on almost every device. There are many other device threads which list problems with the Netflix app also.

Pip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4022 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4618 Post(s)
Liked: 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspot415 View Post
Kinda random but has anyone watched Stranger Things 3 on DV via native Netflix app and noticed the elevated black levels during the intro title? I'm pretty sure this is the way the editors rendered it because it's the same playing from my Nvidia Shield as well. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed and then immediately went to check their settings like I did haha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I watched season 3, episode 1 of Stranger Things on the native Netflix app last night but I didn't notice elevated blacks but I'm not one to notice little subtle things either.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
post #4023 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaink5217 View Post
Stand question, the back piece of my stand doesn’t sit flat on my tv stand the front goes upward a little, and meets the front of the stand, is that correct or did I put my stand together incorrectly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never mind, just noticed the flat part of the back of the base is further under, so it is flat, answered my own question

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4024 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I watched season 3, episode 1 of Stranger Things on the native Netflix app last night but I didn't notice elevated blacks but I'm not one to notice little subtle things either.
Haha I drive my wife nuts trust me. This season IMO is leaps and bounds better than season 2. Enjoy
lujan likes this.
post #4025 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenster3000 View Post
We do not know what PS5 and Scarlet will support.
XBox One X supports both: AMDs implementation of VRR and HDMI Forums VRR implementation.
Thats why it is more than likely that Scarlet will do so as well. Thats why everything should work just fine with the C9/E9 etc..

With PS5 it should not be that different. Since PS5 will probably also come with native HDMI 2.1
HDMI Forums VRR implementation should be a no brainer. FreeSync 2 is another story.
The only reason why FreeSync via HDMI (as it now is) exisits is the lack of support of VRR in older HDMI versions.
Thats why AMD went with an own (open source) implementation. HDMI 2.1 now has native support for VRR (at least in theory). So AMD could abandoned their implementation of VRR and just use HDMI Forums VRR in future. Or maybe AMD just goes with both implementations.

Also important to note: Next Gen console won't arrive until late 2020. So basically just a few weeks before the C11 will be announced. In other words: Even the C10 will be a "pre-Next-Gen-TV". Just like the C9/E9 etc. now. So even with the 2020 there is no guarantee that every feature from the next-gen-console-lineup will be supported. If you want to make sure that everything will be supported you have to wait until 2021. Otherwise I do not see any major improvements that could happen in the C10 model in terms of supported HDMI 2.1 features (compared to the 2019 lineup).

So we should wait 2 more years before upgrading ?
post #4026 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel DvA View Post

Who is “we”? This is the owners thread, right? You might as well call us the “we already upgraded” thread.
post #4027 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Who is “we”? This is the owners thread, right? You might as well call us the “we already upgraded” thread.
Yeah sure I should have say "Should I updrade now or wait two more years" but you've got the big idea, the C9 looks amazing but I really want to have a TV that will do well for the next gen consoles so I'm still unsure about what to do, is the C9 will have everything or not to be "future proof", thta's the question XD
post #4028 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
So when can we expect the Jun19 firmware for HomeKit and airplay 2?
post #4029 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
If you want to make sure everything works 100% with Next Gen consoles: Yes.
Always buy your source devices first if you want to avoid any trouble.

Buying a C9 now is more like taking part in a lottery. Simply because there are no HDMI 2.1 source
devices out to test all the features. So no one can guarntee that the C9 will work properly with those devices. Besides that the C9 is still missing the [email protected] Update.

Note: This does not mean that buying a C9 now is a bad idea. Chances are stil pretty high that stuff like VRR and UHD HFR will work just fine on Next Gen consoles. Mainly because the C9 still supports HDMI VRR and is using a 48G chipset. But as you might have seen: LG uses a "dual chipset solution". So basically a 2.0b chipset as well as a 2.1 chipset. Know one knows if this will cause any trouble in future.

Last edited by fenster3000; 07-05-2019 at 03:07 PM.
post #4030 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by olqxqipz View Post
Does anyone know why the polarizer is oriented differently between the 55" and 65" OLEDs?

55" OLEDs look perfect with standard sunglasses, 65" are anti-perfect
See attached image. 55" panels are oriented differently on the Gen 8.5 mother glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathoosala View Post
Has anyone here also had the C8? If so can you honestly tell me that the price difference is worth it? I don't plan on refreshing most of my other gear for a few years, so I'm not sure I can take advantage of the C9 features before it would be time to upgrade everything again. I know the two models have basically the same processor, and the only thing I can think of the C9 has that I can put to use right now is eARC, but I run everything through the receiver then to the TV so I'm not sure I would need it. Just curious, thanks!
Have you already seen this video?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mmg-configuration.png
Views:	70
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2587930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen8.5-55inch.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	2587932  
Baff, dfa973, olqxqipz and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Wizziwig; 07-05-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #4031 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Otherwise I do not see any major improvements that could happen in the C10 model in terms of supported HDMI 2.1 features (compared to the 2019 lineup).
Except that we haven't really seen what the tv can do with hdmi 2.1, since they haven't been fully enabled yet. eARC has not been flawless. I love my C9, but if I could have waited another year to get a new tv, I would have. I expect LG to polish up their hdmi 2.1 next year. It likely won't be far better than the C9, but maybe work more smoothly, time will tell.

That said, for any gamers who need a new tv this year, the C9 is the only real option.
anwsmh likes this.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #4032 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
Except that we haven't really seen what the tv can do with hdmi 2.1, since they haven't been fully enabled yet.
That is correct.
Will be interesting to see if the Summer-Update will change anything regarding the
eARC implementation as well.
post #4033 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
Except that we haven't really seen what the tv can do with hdmi 2.1, since they haven't been fully enabled yet. eARC has not been flawless. I love my C9, but if I could have waited another year to get a new tv, I would have. I expect LG to polish up their hdmi 2.1 next year. It likely won't be far better than the C9, but maybe work more smoothly, time will tell.

That said, for any gamers who need a new tv this year, the C9 is the only real option.

I agree and I disagree, only Xbox One X Gamers can take advantage of 1440p 120Hz. Or PC Gamers 1440p 120Hz, which is nice but the real reason I bought a C9 is HDMI 2.1 and VRR. I don’t have an Xbox One X can anyone confirm at least currently that Xbox One X can or cannot take advantage of At the very least 1440p VRR ?

I just got C9 55” today. It’s Meh, deep vibrant colors but nothing a Q90R or Vizio PX Quantum can’t achieve I’m in a dim bedroom and it’s Ok I just have get a Xbox One S and play some native 4K UHD movies.

I don’t know OLEDs blew me away I store now at home it’s not the best.

I will say that LG’s motion handling may be a deal breaker on the C9, I just got rid of a 2011 Panasonic 1080p TC-L32S1 32” IPS-Pro Viera TV and it had better motion than the 2019 C9.

I may keep the C9 and it will tide me over for a year or so, until 2021 and a Samsung QD-OLED or HDMI 2.1 FreeSync 2 product
Lunatic_Gamer likes this.
post #4034 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6680 Post(s)
Liked: 6676
Quote:
Hey guys, I know the next gen consoles are 1 year away so we still have time before changing our TVs but the more I think about, it, the more I think I should upgrade my tv right now with maybe the C9 because of the HDMI 2.1 and VRR... The consoles will probably released in November or close to it and since I think It'll get both of them at the same time with some games and accessories, I think it'll be pretty expensive month and I need to think about Christmas time too, money wise, changing my TV isn't the only thing I need to change as well, I need to change my AV receiver for the Dolby Vision/HDR/HDMI 2.1 features too, what do you guys think ? Should I wait a little more before biting for the C10 or should I go now ? do you have some recommendation for a future proof AV receiver as well ? To be honest, the LG C9 looks pretty amazing but I don't know if it'll be perfect for the next gen console, thank you guys.
Quote:
There is never a good time to upgrade, trying to time that is like trying to time the stock market, just jump in head first
post #4035 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Hi all,

I have a few questions on "poor-man's" calibration of the set. From what I understand, my C9 is pretty accurate out of the box, just needing a few environmental tweaks. I had been doing just the basic stuff (brightness, contrast, color balance) on my plasma, and now the C9. Following the suggestions from rtings.com, I have received excellent results (to my old, decrepit eyes). I do have a couple of questions, however (as per usual, I am doing something wrong):

First, rtings recommend that, for SDR, I leave the brightness at 50 and instead vary the OLED panel setting. Using the pluge pattern of the Spears & Munsil calibration disc, I found that the OLED panel setting does very little to affect the pluge pattern (4% and 2 % bars visible). I had to adjust the brightness setting up to 60 to avoid black crush. What am I missing?

Second, the contrast (SDR): Again, using the Spears & Munsil disc, I have to basically reduce the contrast to minimum to even begin to start seeing the highest graduations (mostly the top 3 or 4 white bars will always blend in with their neighbor, and I can barely see the darkened square in the color bars). I am obviously misunderstanding the correct application of the test. I simply left the contrast at the default of 85.

The color balance is pretty much spot-on, and all of the HDR settings have been left at default. As I said, it looks fantastic to me, but I want to understand what I am doing wrong. Thanks!

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #4036 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Motion issue

I have a 65" LG C9 and it's been wonderful overall. No surprise to people here. I do have one odd minor glitch. Every so often (maybe once every 20 minutes or so), and especially when watching something on Netflix or Amazon Prime (via my Apple TV), the picture will "jump" (stutter? judder? or ??). That is, it's like someone spliced out a half-second of the film. It happens once only. Then it's all back to normal until the next time it happens.

I've played with the LG's motion settings (from off to low correction) — and nothing eliminates this.

Any thoughts as to the cause and what, if anything, I can do about it? Or should I just ignore it, because it is so infrequent and not a big deal?
Ignore it and don't worry about it. You'll probably never find the problem. Once every 20 minutes doesn't seem like a big deal. Seems like a streaming problem
post #4037 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Where does this clip onto tv?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190705_211114.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2587942  

-

OLED65C9PUA, AVR-X4200W, NVIDIA SHIELD TV, SVS SB12-NSD, RC-52 II, RB-41 II, KEF E301, BDI 8179
post #4038 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
I agree and I disagree, only Xbox One X Gamers can take advantage of 1440p 120Hz. Or PC Gamers 1440p 120Hz, which is nice but the real reason I bought a C9 is HDMI 2.1 and VRR. I don’t have an Xbox One X can anyone confirm at least currently that Xbox One X can or cannot take advantage of At the very least 1440p VRR ?

I was initially excited about 1440p on this set, but after some testing I now think it is rather pointless. The problem is that any extra detail added by the higher resolution is offset by the fact that the set does a better job of upscaling 1080p. 4K is an integer multiple of 1080p, so it is easier to upscale without loss of sharpness. When I compared 1440p/120 and 1080p/120, the 1080p setting looked noticeable sharper, particularly in things like UIs and 2D graphics. It is also easier to maintain 120 fps with high graphical settings at 1080p compared to 1440p, so it is a win-win.

This is one area where having an 8K panel would be nice, since 8K happens to be an integer multiple of 1440p as well.
onesolo likes this.
post #4039 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone else noticed the flashing blacks problem on dark content?

post #4040 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked: 8247
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspot415 View Post
Kinda random but has anyone watched Stranger Things 3 on DV via native Netflix app and noticed the elevated black levels during the intro title? I'm pretty sure this is the way the editors rendered it because it's the same playing from my Nvidia Shield as well. Just wanted to see if anyone else noticed and then immediately went to check their settings like I did haha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes, we just watched the first 2 episodes with the onboard app and I do notice elevated black levels. As you say, it’s probably the director’s intent.
post #4041 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Where does this clip onto tv?
That's for your hdmi cables to tie up to keep it neat

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #4042 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
There is never a good time to upgrade, trying to time that is like trying to time the stock market, just jump in head first
Quote:
If you want to make sure everything works 100% with Next Gen consoles: Yes.
Always buy your source devices first if you want to avoid any trouble.

Buying a C9 now is more like taking part in a lottery. Simply because there are no HDMI 2.1 source
devices out to test all the features. So no one can guarntee that the C9 will work properly with those devices. Besides that the C9 is still missing the [email protected] Update.

Note: This does not mean that buying a C9 now is a bad idea. Chances are stil pretty high that stuff like VRR and UHD HFR will work just fine on Next Gen consoles. Mainly because the C9 still supports HDMI VRR and is using a 48G chipset. But as you might have seen: LG uses a "dual chipset solution". So basically a 2.0b chipset as well as a 2.1 chipset. Know one knows if this will cause any trouble in future.

thank you guys for your time, I think I'll wait a little more for the C9 to be a little bit cheaper.
post #4043 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
Has anyone else noticed the flashing blacks problem on dark content?

I saw this a couple of times when I first used my panel. I think it was Batman Begins on UHD... But a few firmware upgrades later and I've never seen it again. Unsure if the firmware has fixed this issue or I've just not encountered anything like it since.

But I watched the first two episodes of Stranger Things 3 the past couple of nights which is pretty damn dark and it didn't happen.

May I ask what firmware version you're using?
post #4044 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
I guess my question then becomes: What does it mean to say "it's the TV"? Is it an inherent problem with the TV that I just have to live with (unless I can find a setting that fixes it or it gets addressed in a firmware update)? Or is it my particular TV...and it needs a repair or replacement?

P.S. It's the latest 4K Apple TV.
I have heard no other reports of what your experiencing. It could be a defect with your set but I highly doubt it. Most motion processing issues would normally show up every few seconds or so. It sounds more like an issue with your A4KTV, internet or hdmi cable. Are you running through a DVR? I have not seen this problem using my Apple TV on my C9. It’s very minimal and probably a streaming issue. Just forget about it an enjoy your set.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER

Last edited by al210; 07-05-2019 at 08:21 PM.
post #4045 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
That's for your hdmi cables to tie up to keep it neat

But does it attach to the TV somewhere?

-

OLED65C9PUA, AVR-X4200W, NVIDIA SHIELD TV, SVS SB12-NSD, RC-52 II, RB-41 II, KEF E301, BDI 8179
post #4046 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
But does it attach to the TV somewhere?
No u just wrap the cord around your hdmi cables. It doesnt attach to the tv anywhere

post #4047 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
I saw this a couple of times when I first used my panel. I think it was Batman Begins on UHD... But a few firmware upgrades later and I've never seen it again. Unsure if the firmware has fixed this issue or I've just not encountered anything like it since.

But I watched the first two episodes of Stranger Things 3 the past couple of nights which is pretty damn dark and it didn't happen.

May I ask what firmware version you're using?

I believe the latest firmware. I noticed it in stranger things season 2

post #4048 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
I believe the latest firmware. I noticed it in stranger things season 2

Latest in what region? I'm using the 3.60.05 Firmware which seemingly boats some "Picture Quality Improvements" over the 3.60.04 firmware that seems to be available in most regions.

Maybe could be it?
post #4049 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is #8 step of the setup? I can't figure it out by the diagram.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

-

post #4050 of 7791 Old 07-05-2019, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
If this is as random and as rare as you described; and especially if it only happens with these two apps, then I really doubt there is anything wrong with your TV. Could be a streaming bandwidth issue, could be an issue with the apps. The Amazon app is known for stuttering problems on almost every device. There are many other device threads which list problems with the Netflix app also.

Pip
Thanks for the input. And thanks to the others who offered their similar thoughts on this matter here. I tend to agree. It is not likely the C9. I appreciate the confirmation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
dead , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page