2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4785Likes

post #4141 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I am still seeing flashing bars on stranger things s3 ep1 with oled motion off. Any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
In your case, the ISF Dark is the default SDR Picture Mode - meaning, all the SDR sources will get this profile.
Game mode is selected because the ALLM/Instant Game Response flag is sent by the Xbox.
Netflix app on Xbox goes to whatever HDR mode is preferred by the streaming service - Dolby Vision and Game mode maybe because Netflix apps are stuck at 60Hz (instead of matching the actual content FPS...).
Thanks.

For the Netflix mode it sets, don't I still want the motion settings and other stuff that it takes away?

Also, when the TV sets an HDR mode, or DolbyVision Game mode, it maxes the settings. Should I back them back to my ISF Dark settings, or leave them maxed?
post #4143 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6662 Post(s)
Liked: 6648
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker6040 View Post
Well, my C9 finally arrived, ive never seen a tv change shippers so much on they way to you.
In commercial freight you will at least have a pickup agent, line haul carrier, and a deliver agent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
It's probably not out of the realm of possibilities? I never thought Mitsubishi would stop making TVs and I never thought Oppo or Samsung would stop making blu-ray players. Also, I think if you go back far enough LG is the company that bought Zenith (a TV company from a long time ago).
TV business and small electronics have no margin. We lost Mitusubishi, Hitachi, Pioneer, Sharp more or less, Toshiba, and Panasonic. We are down to 3...Sony, LG, and Samsung. I hope Sony never pulls out of the TV game.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4144 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Hello. I am trying to understand how the C9 choses different picture modes on what type of content is playing. For regular content, I have ISF Dark mode with settings close to Rtings.

I use the Xbox for all sources and it's HDMI direct into the TV.

-When I start my X1X and am at the dashboard, it choses mode: ISF Dark
-When I start my X1X and start game, the C9 chooses: Game mode
-When I start Microsoft Media Player app on X1X, the C9 chooses ISF Dark.
-When I start bluray player with a 1080p bluray on X1X the C9 chooses ISF Dark.
-When I start my X1X Netflix app on X1X, the C9 chooses DolbyVision picture mode (Game): On this setting, it bumped up OLED light to 100, same with contrast. It also does not allow me to change some settings, like Gamma and many others. How is the C9 selecting this mode automatically and how does the C9 know the Netflix app on Xbox is different?
-Haven't tested a UHD disc yet, but assume the C9 will pick some HDR mode where it will max all settings again?

I notice that when in some of these picture modes it selects, I cannot change back to ISF Dark. That is not available.

Of the settings that the C9 changes to max values, should I be moving the settings back down to match my ISF Dark mode settings?

If I make any picture choice changes or settings changes, will the C9 remember that the next time X1X Netflix starts or Media Player or a Game?

I am coming from a 10 year old Samsung LED DLP, which offered great picture and it was a set and forget for all sources. Meaning, all the activities above looked consistent across each other, from Netflix to media streaming to blurays. I realize how nice this was and hoping you all can help me tame the C9.

hehe, it does look a bit crazy when you first experience this, but I think it's simple once you understand the logic. Here's how I understand it, based on my experience the past week:

1 - the TV has 2 setting GROUPS - one for HDR/Dolby Vision content, and one for SDR content
1a - choose Cinema for HDR/Dolby Vision, and, unless your eyes hurt from the brightness, leave the oled light and contrast at 100, because the tone mapping sent by the content expects those settings in order to work properly. Personally, I often reduce oled light because it's crazy bright for me.
1b - choose ISF Dark mode for SDR content
1c - choose Game mode when playing games (both setting groups have Game mode available)

2 - the TV switches to the setting you chose the last time you used the specific input, but

3 - since the same input can be fed different signals (e.g. the Xbox can (a) play SDR video, (b) play HDR video and (c) play a video game), the TV recognises the signal coming in and switches to the appropriate mode (that is, the mode chosen the last time you played the same content).
RobPT45 likes this.
post #4145 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
There are currently a handful of UHD Blu-Ray movies out on HDR10+: Robin Hood, Alien (40th Anniversary 4K), Bohemian Rhapsody and maybe 2 more. You're not missing out at all. More importantly, DV is arguably better but no review I've read has said that HDR10+ is subjectively better.
What does a non-HDR10+ device do with the "plus" information? Does it read the HDR10 core and ignore the extra information? Or does it treat the video as non-HDR? If the C9 can still read the HDR core, that's a much different scenario.
post #4146 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Thanks.

For the Netflix mode it sets, don't I still want the motion settings and other stuff that it takes away?

Also, when the TV sets an HDR mode, or DolbyVision Game mode, it maxes the settings. Should I back them back to my ISF Dark settings, or leave them maxed?
Leave them maxed.
post #4147 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by harync View Post
What does a non-HDR10+ device do with the "plus" information? Does it read the HDR10 core and ignore the extra information? Or does it treat the video as non-HDR? If the C9 can still read the HDR core, that's a much different scenario.
The dynamic part is discarded, only the standard static HDR10 is used by a TV set that is not HDR10+ compatible, like the C9.
post #4148 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Anyone know if turning on smooth gradation in game mode adds input lag?

post #4149 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
In commercial freight you will at least have a pickup agent, line haul carrier, and a deliver agent.

TV business and small electronics have no margin. We lost Mitusubishi, Hitachi, Pioneer, Sharp more or less, Toshiba, and Panasonic. We are down to 3...Sony, LG, and Samsung. I hope Sony never pulls out of the TV game.......
Funny... because Sony would actually dominate the entire low, mid-range and at least be on equal footing in the high-end market with LG and Samsung if they actually you know, listen to gamers. Ironic how they made 3 of the most succesful video game consoles of all time yet their TVs are often not the best for gaming.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #4150 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Moyseos View Post
1 - the TV has 2 setting GROUPS - one for HDR/Dolby Vision content, and one for SDR content
1a - choose Cinema for HDR/Dolby Vision, and, unless your eyes hurt from the brightness, leave the oled light and contrast at 100, because the tone mapping sent by the content expects those settings in order to work properly. Personally, I often reduce oled light because it's crazy bright for me.
I think the C9 separates HDR & Dolby Vision. My understanding was that Cinema was best for DV and Technicolor Expert is best for HDR.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #4151 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
hehe, it does look a bit crazy when you first experience this, but I think it's simple once you understand the logic. Here's how I understand it, based on my experience the past week:

1c - choose Game mode when playing games (both setting groups have Game mode available)

2 - the TV switches to the setting you chose the last time you used the specific input, but

3 - since the same input can be fed different signals (e.g. the Xbox can (a) play SDR video, (b) play HDR video and (c) play a video game), the TV recognises the signal coming in and switches to the appropriate mode (that is, the mode chosen the last time you played the same content).

Thanks, that helps.
post #4152 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
No, most now agree the motion handling differences are not at all major and more subtle. LG has come a long way with its motion handling.
I would agree if Trumotion didn't seem completely broken at the moment. There seems to be an issue with Trumotion causing stutter in slow moving objects starting from rest. Once movement gets up to speed there doesn't seem to be any problems (other than some minor artifacting). It's like Trumotion is dynamically tracking movement and switches off with little or no motion on screen, then switches on when there's enough movement, but during this period there's very obvious stutter. This happens whether Deblur/Dejudder is at any value, including 0. It's definitely happening in 60fps content and I think I've seen a few instances in low framerate content, although it's less obvious there.

At least that's been my experience with Trumotion. Never had that problem with Sony's Motionflow.

post #4153 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
It's probably not out of the realm of possibilities? I never thought Mitsubishi would stop making TVs and I never thought Oppo or Samsung would stop making blu-ray players. Also, I think if you go back far enough LG is the company that bought Zenith (a TV company from a long time ago).
It's the natural product evolution for any "innovative" technology. If it's popular enough, people will find a way to make it cheaper/faster/"good enough", which turns it into a commodity which destroys the profit margin and eliminates the "premium" pricing model while at the same time transforming it into a mainstream product where the last 5% of maximum performance is not worth the price premium for 99% of consumers. In 8 years the 65" 4K OLED TV will likely be available for $500 at a performance nearly equal to today's C9. This is why they are pushing so hard for 8K adoption - it allows them to continue their line of premium products to support the high margin pricing model between $2,000 and $7,000. If consumers do not adopt 8K (like they didn't adopt 3D), then LG will likely be out of the TV business altogether. For this reason, I suspect that over the next few years the premium TV market must move towards giant wall displays (120+ inch visibly benefits from 8K) in order to survive.
iatacs19 likes this.
post #4154 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
I would agree if Trumotion didn't seem completely broken at the moment. There seems to be an issue with Trumotion causing stutter in slow moving objects starting from rest. Once movement gets up to speed there doesn't seem to be any problems (other than some minor artifacting). It's like Trumotion is dynamically tracking movement and switches off with little or no motion on screen, then switches on when there's enough movement, but during this period there's very obvious stutter. This happens whether Deblur/Dejudder is at any value, including 0. It's definitely happening in 60fps content and I think I've seen a few instances in low framerate content, although it's less obvious there.
At least that's been my experience with Trumotion. Never had that problem with Sony's Motionflow.
Which movie scene did you find this issue? I would love to play around with that scene to see how the A9G handles it. If you have Netflix, another good baseline test is in the first 25 seconds in episode 1 of The Good Cop where a bullet is shot out of pistol at slow motion (The Matrix style), moving across the screen as it heads to the target. The Vizio PQX completely fails this test with the bullet stuttering and jumping in this scene.
post #4155 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
So I am still seeing flashing bars on stranger things s3 ep1 with oled motion off. Any other ideas?
What do you mean by "flashing bars"?

I just finished watching season 3, and the only flashing I have seen were the white sparkles during the intro/title sequence.

post #4156 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked: 8247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post

I've never seen that behavior with Trumotion. If more were experiencing this issue I'm sure we'd see many more posts like yours.
post #4157 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
What do you mean by "flashing bars"?

I just finished watching season 3, and the only flashing I have seen were the white sparkles during the intro/title sequence.

I mean the black letterbox bars.

post #4158 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
I mean the black letterbox bars.

My aspect ratio is set to "original" and I do not have letterbox bars when watching Stranger Things via the built-in app. What is your aspect ratio set to?

post #4159 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I was getting white flashing artifacts in Stranger things Season 3 with a netflix 4k sub as well.

Using Netflix LG App, during some dark scenes, when Eleven was in those pitch black mind rooms i would get a white flash every few seconds.

I will find the episode and timestamp when i get home tonight. And posts settings.
post #4160 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
My aspect ratio is set to "original" and I do not have letterbox bars when watching Stranger Things via the built-in app. What is your aspect ratio set to?
Nevermind, I guess there are thin bars, I just didn't notice them in my dark room. I have rewatched several of the black room scenes several times and not seen any flashing, so I don't think it is a problem with the app or the feed (though it is possible you might be getting your feed from a different server).

Some of my settings (for DV):
Cinema (user)
Energy Saving: off
Dynamic Contrast: off
Super Resolution: off
Peak Brightness: high
Noise Reduction: low
MPEG Noise Reduction: low
Real Cinema: on
Motion Eye Care: off
TruMotion: off
Eye Comfort Mode: off
Screen Shift: on
Logo Luminance Adjustment: low

Brightness and such are set to the default numbers 100/100/50/10/50/0.

(Note: My tv has been calibrated by jrref, so various internal numbers have been adjusted away from the factory settings)

post #4161 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
It's come down to a 75 Z9D or 77 C9. I just can't stop agonizing over the decision. I've been saving forever and I'd hate to make the wrong choice. I don't have the money to replace a TV every 4-5 years. Burn in scares me. I know that this thing is organic, it is slowly wearing down at all times. But I also know it is absolutely gorgeous. I understand that burn in is a cumulative effect. That given enough cumulative time some pixels will fade faster than others. I do a fair amount of gaming, most days 3-4 hours, on the weekends sometimes more than that. Other static content would be menus streaming from Plex, and Netflix. Rest of the use would be 4K movies. Most posts I read are from people with C7s or C8s that say they do all these things but don't have any burn in and others say they do. I'm curious if it's just the fact that the hours on the TV haven't reached high enough to start to see any ill effects. I know that last year and this year have a larger red subpixel to try and alleviate burn in and that they have the logo dimming feature to try and also aid with avoiding burn in. I don't have the ability to use it in a dedicated theater room, it would be for all my TV related usage. I would feel better if burn in was covered in the manufacturers warranty, surely they know it's an issue. I don't have enough money to pay for the Best Buy warranty which is the only one that covers burn in. Does all of this just put the OLED out of reach for me? Are there other things I'm not considering when thinking about the good or bad of OLED?

XBR55X850C, Denon AVRX6300H, Polk RTi10, CSi3, 65RT, 70RT, PSA V1500, Oppo 203.
post #4162 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyH View Post
I was getting white flashing artifacts in Stranger things Season 3 with a netflix 4k sub as well.

Using Netflix LG App, during some dark scenes, when Eleven was in those pitch black mind rooms i would get a white flash every few seconds.

I will find the episode and timestamp when i get home tonight. And posts settings.

Same here.

It was Season 3, Episode 6. Timestamp: 38:40. You can see a quick flash of white under his bed on the black water and a couple more flashes during this scene. Very odd. Don't know if it is the source or the C9 .

Also, do people recommend that you pick other picture modes than "Game" when playing games? According to https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1559035462 they say that you should not. "Another new feature this year is the option to turn on game mode with any picture mode in the TV, which means that you can now select either 'Game' picture mode (which is not very picture accurate) or you can chose to flip on a game switch when the TV is running in other picture modes. This will produce the same low input lag."

I will follow the calibration settings on rtings and flatpanelshd (without the CMS and White balance of course), since those seem like you get a very good picture without calibration.
post #4163 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
Which movie scene did you find this issue? I would love to play around with that scene to see how the A9G handles it. If you have Netflix, another good baseline test is in the first 25 seconds in episode 1 of The Good Cop where a bullet is shot out of pistol at slow motion (The Matrix style), moving across the screen as it heads to the target. The Vizio PQX completely fails this test with the bullet stuttering and jumping in this scene.
I'll make a note of it next time I see it in a movie or show. Happens frequently in sports broadcasts. For example, when a lot of players on a soccer pitch are slowly moving before a corner kick, free kick, etc. Also, I saw it during CFL football snaps when players start moving all at once. Saw it in F1 during grid lineup and also frequently when cars would enter the frame from around corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
I've never seen that behavior with Trumotion. If more were experiencing this issue I'm sure we'd see many more posts like yours.
Maybe some people are just more sensitive than others. There's enough complaints about Trumotion artifacts I know it's probably not just my set. There's a thread on the LG forums complaining about C9 Trumotion artifacts and a forum rep escalated the issue to engineering, so maybe there's hope for those of us sensitive to the issue.

post #4164 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamusAran85 View Post
It was Season 3, Episode 6. Timestamp: 38:40. You can see a quick flash of white under his bed on the black water and a couple more flashes during this scene. Very odd. Don't know if it is the source or the C9
Many of the black scenes have reflections, like they are standing in water. The flashes I see under the bed are due to those water-like reflections.

post #4165 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathoosala View Post
It's come down to a 75 Z9D or 77 C9.

Are you sure you can still find a Z9D?
post #4166 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
It's come down to a 75 Z9D or 77 C9. I just can't stop agonizing over the decision. I've been saving forever and I'd hate to make the wrong choice. I don't have the money to replace a TV every 4-5 years. Burn in scares me. I know that this thing is organic, it is slowly wearing down at all times. But I also know it is absolutely gorgeous. I understand that burn in is a cumulative effect. That given enough cumulative time some pixels will fade faster than others. I do a fair amount of gaming, most days 3-4 hours, on the weekends sometimes more than that. Other static content would be menus streaming from Plex, and Netflix. Rest of the use would be 4K movies. Most posts I read are from people with C7s or C8s that say they do all these things but don't have any burn in and others say they do. I'm curious if it's just the fact that the hours on the TV haven't reached high enough to start to see any ill effects. I know that last year and this year have a larger red subpixel to try and alleviate burn in and that they have the logo dimming feature to try and also aid with avoiding burn in. I don't have the ability to use it in a dedicated theater room, it would be for all my TV related usage. I would feel better if burn in was covered in the manufacturers warranty, surely they know it's an issue. I don't have enough money to pay for the Best Buy warranty which is the only one that covers burn in. Does all of this just put the OLED out of reach for me? Are there other things I'm not considering when thinking about the good or bad of OLED?
Personally I won’t keep an oled more than a year due to the fear of panel degradation, especially when I watch lots of bright hdr contents and game a lot. I usually buy the cheapest newest 55” oled when the price goes down to around $1500, then resell it after a year and repeat the cycle. 77” is too expensive to do so, so maybe you are better with a z9d
post #4167 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks, that helps.
This is a great summary from Andreas. The only thing I'll add, since you mentioned using an X1X, is that when ALLM and VRR are both checked on your X1X, this forces the TV into instant game response mode (different than the Game picture setting) for almost everything. I wrote about it all on the X1X thread if you are interested: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-x...l#post58247864
Andreas Moyseos likes this.
post #4168 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
Quote:
Personally I won’t keep an oled more than a year due to the fear of panel degradation, especially when I watch lots of bright hdr contents and game a lot. I usually buy the cheapest newest 55” oled when the price goes down to around $1500, then resell it after a year and repeat the cycle. 77” is too expensive to do so, so maybe you are better with a z9d
lol what? It’s gonna take a lot longer than 1 year’s usage to degrade your panel enough that you could ever tell.
juanej, Lunatic_Gamer and Fiction like this.
post #4169 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPT45 View Post
This is a great summary from Andreas. The only thing I'll add, since you mentioned using an X1X, is that when ALLM and VRR are both checked on your X1X, this forces the TV into instant game response mode (different than the Game picture setting) for almost everything. I wrote about it all on the X1X thread if you are interested: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-x...l#post58247864
Also a great post! Thank you.
post #4170 of 7383 Old 07-09-2019, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
Quote:
lol what? It’s gonna take a lot longer than 1 year’s usage to degrade your panel enough that you could ever tell.
When I look at Rtings’s burn-in test, the red sub-pixel degrades to the point of burn-in after only 1500 hrs. 1 year with my usage of 10hrs/day will be 3600 hrs. I mean sure those hrs will not be all red but it’s alarming honestly. That’s just me though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
dead , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page