2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 205 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6046Likes

post #6121 of 10417 Old 09-05-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Moyseos View Post
since the c9 doesn't have chromecast, just google assistant, maybe not..
I never realized until today that you could get one without the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6122 of 10417 Old 09-05-2019, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Please give us your list of approved topics to discuss oh Great One.

He forgot about tintgate as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andreas Moyseos likes this.
post #6123 of 10417 Old 09-05-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6856 Post(s)
Liked: 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
Totally agree with this! I am 8 feet away from my 65 inch, and it’s the perfect distance for viewing. So glad I didn’t go with the 55.
How long do you think it will bne before the 77" is prime from 8FT away I know I like my 110" from about 12FT
lorenzo1000 and radamo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6124 of 10417 Old 09-05-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
How long do you think it will bne before the 77" is prime from 8FT away I know I like my 110" from about 12FT

Good Lord! You’re 110 inch makes my 65 inch look like a small tabletop TV LOL.

iatacs19 likes this.
post #6125 of 10417 Old 09-05-2019, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmicroblog22 View Post
I find myself struggling with the morality of not being up front about the cause of damage and am a bit undecided on it. One one hand, I feel that my actions likely caused the issue. On the other hand, the screen must be incredibly delicate and should have been better manufactured/protected. Is it possible, since my screen did not have a protector on it, that the unit could have been re-manufactured?

I also worry that when they replace the screen they will use a panel which is not brand new or as good as an originally manufactured one.

Any idea what kind of cost is associated with the repair from LG?
The morality of a huge corporation that wouldn't even notice if that TV fell off the back of a truck? Lol
post #6126 of 10417 Old 09-05-2019, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Well, family room reno seems to be a go, and the Xbox will arrive next week, so apparently I'm in the market for a new TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
I think you'd get more enjoyment out of a 65-75" LCD at those distances, especially with lots of ambient light. Just my opinion.
Back in the day, LCDs seemed to be not so good. Have they improved (sorry, I know this a thread for the C9)?

I *could* be talked into 65", but going from 42" to 65" would be a massive upgrade that might make the wife spit out her coffee. And my guess is she'd want to put the couch closer than 8 feet in front of the TV to have space left behind the couch for other seating (room is 18 feet long). Compromises have to be made to keep a happy household.
post #6127 of 10417 Old 09-05-2019, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shmooz View Post
Huh? How can you not see any film on the front when you are saying that the front had one big one with red tabs on the bottom?

As far as removing the film; there is no need to remove it at all. I actually ran the T.V. for weeks with the film left on intentionally because I knew I was going to remove it off the mount & I wanted to maintain its protective film while it was being handled. No ill effects...
My bad, I meant back, of course I saw the front screen protector. But yes, thanks to the pics in this thread I found the plastic on the back, would have never seen it.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #6128 of 10417 Old 09-05-2019, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I'm 7-8 ft away from my 77 and i feel i should have an 88 incher..

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
RichB, iatacs19 and cockatiel like this.
post #6129 of 10417 Old 09-05-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticusf View Post
Well, family room reno seems to be a go, and the Xbox will arrive next week, so apparently I'm in the market for a new TV.

Back in the day, LCDs seemed to be not so good. Have they improved (sorry, I know this a thread for the C9)?

I *could* be talked into 65", but going from 42" to 65" would be a massive upgrade that might make the wife spit out her coffee. And my guess is she'd want to put the couch closer than 8 feet in front of the TV to have space left behind the couch for other seating (room is 18 feet long). Compromises have to be made to keep a happy household.
Yes, LCDs are pretty good.
A larger tv is very often more important than better blacks.
Being pushy here, but unless budget forbids it, smaller tv's should not be a priority option. The difference in your enjoyment will be significant, I think.

iatacs19 likes this.
post #6130 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
My 65" C9 arrived yesterday. One thing I am having trouble with is casting music from my phone. With Google Assistant built in, I assumed that I would be able to cast from Google music to the TV. However, I cannot seem to make it an option. All I've been able to do is Miracast my phone, which shows up as a small PIP box on screen, and I then have to unmute it to get music from my phone to the TV. Of course, I can't use my phone for anything else or the sound will come from the TV. Is there no way to play my music from Google on the C9?

I'm not sure if it will answer your need but from the "Home Dashboard" page (long press the input button) if you select Bluetooth audio playback you can use the TV as a BT speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post
For the OP's concern... the scent of burning electronics, that is not a "new break in" event, is a serious indication that there is a problem, often related to the power supply system. I'd return the display and get a replacement.

The store is sending someone on Tuesday to check on it, I hope they replace it.
post #6131 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirua View Post
Hello there, I finally bought myself a 55C9 last week. I hesitated a lot with a C8 and finally went for the newer model.

I do have a weird question already, how uncommon is it for the TV to smell like hot (borderline burnt, I get light headache if I don't open window) plastic when on ? I'm trying to figure out if it's a thing that can happen during the few hour of life of a TV or if it's my usual luck for weird failure with things.

It seem to come out from the back left side. It really doesn't feel like it's just a "new electronics" smell. Both front and back protective films are removed (unless there is a 3rd but I didn't find any).
If it's strong enough that you noticed it coming from a particular part of the TV and it didn't dissipate after say a week's worth of use it's probably not normal. There are components in new electronics that will off gas when the device is initially powered on but that normally dissipates after a few hours of use, maybe a week's worth at the extreme outside range.

If you continue to smell a strong odor past that it could indicate that a component inside the TV has failed even if the TV appears to be operating. Some things could fail and it could continue to work for a period of time. At a minimum a technician should open the TV up and inspect any PCBs in the set to see if there is any indication of arcing or component damage such as burned capacitors, etc.

Good luck.
anwsmh likes this.
post #6132 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=Kirua;58520512]I'm not sure if it will answer your need but from the "Home Dashboard" page (long press the input button) if you select Bluetooth audio playback you can use the TV as a BT speaker.

Using it as a BT speaker will not send the audio to my AVR, which I can use directly as a BT speaker. In a few months it won't matter anyway because we'll have a separate media room that will be dedicated for movies, TV, and games. I doubt we will be sitting up there just to listen to music. In the meantime, we can use Pandora or Spotify.
post #6133 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 AM

I have a few settings questions that I could not find information about searching this thread or the web. What is the difference between noise reduction and MPEG noise reduction? I plan to leave both off for high quality sources. I don't have much time with the TV yet streaming on my C9, but I did get a fair amount of noise on my plasma streaming from these platforms. Would one or both of these options on low or medium be recommended for streaming content?

As for smooth gradation, I saw D-Nice said on low it removes detail and is not recommended. Is this for streaming as well as high quality content? I assume the only place it would even be needed is HDR due to the wide color gamut.

Thanks
post #6134 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I have a few settings questions that I could not find information about searching this thread or the web. What is the difference between noise reduction and MPEG noise reduction? I plan to leave both off for high quality sources. I don't have much time with the TV yet streaming on my C9, but I did get a fair amount of noise on my plasma streaming from these platforms. Would one or both of these options on low or medium be recommended for streaming content?

As for smooth gradation, I saw D-Nice said on low it removes detail and is not recommended. Is this for streaming as well as high quality content? I assume the only place it would even be needed is HDR due to the wide color gamut.

Thanks
While that might be true about Smooth Gradation taking away some details, I haven't noticed it. And setting it on Low to Medium actually fixes color banding problems (Google it if needed). I noticed them in high quality 4k YouTube streams on a solid color background.

As far as Noise Reduction and MPEG Noise Reduction, I would like to hear from some folks on those as well.
post #6135 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7386 Post(s)
Liked: 8266
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
While that might be true about Smooth Gradation taking away some details, I haven't noticed it. And setting it on Low to Medium actually fixes color banding problems (Google it if needed). I noticed them in high quality 4k YouTube streams on a solid color background.

As far as Noise Reduction and MPEG Noise Reduction, I would like to hear from some folks on those as well.
I'd agree with this 100%. I keep mine on low and it has considerably less banding than my previous OLEDs. Like you, I haven't noticed any loss in detail toggling it on & off...certainly not at typical viewing distances.

I keep the noise reduction settings off.
post #6136 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
I *could* be talked into 65", but going from 42" to 65" would be a massive upgrade that might make the wife spit out her coffee.
You might also consider a 65" B9. The differences between the C9 and the B9 would probably be pretty minor to you.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #6137 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I just saw LGs response to adding 5.1/7.1 pass through via eARC. Well done people!

They will apparently be adding it in an update. They also mentioned another firmware update will be out “soon”.
post #6138 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upandown View Post
I just saw LGs response to adding 5.1/7.1 pass through via eARC. Well done people!

They will apparently be adding it in an update. They also mentioned another firmware update will be out “soon”.
Where?

post #6139 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 10:05 AM

I should have just included this copy and paste from the start. I got an email from change.org, since I signed the petition to add these features.

Thanks to the guy who organized it.

Response from LG:
“6 SEPT. 2019 —
Posted by an LGcommunity forum member:
"We appreciate you for patiently coordinating with us regarding the PCM Multichannel 5.1/7.1 pass-through feature of your LG OLED65C9PUW TV, Michael. It is my pleasure to assist you with your inquiry today.
We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. In response to this, please rest assured that LG Electronics is aware of your requests and is doing the necessary process to implement these features in the future software releases. Please be advised that the C9 OLED series are relatively new and only released recently, all the firmware updates will also be coming soon to integrate additional features that did not originally came in with the TV during the initial launch of the product."
post #6140 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upandown View Post
I should have just included this copy and paste from the start. I got an email from change.org, since I signed the petition to add these features.

Thanks to the guy who organized it.

Response from LG:
“6 SEPT. 2019 —
Posted by an LGcommunity forum member:
"We appreciate you for patiently coordinating with us regarding the PCM Multichannel 5.1/7.1 pass-through feature of your LG OLED65C9PUW TV, Michael. It is my pleasure to assist you with your inquiry today.
We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. In response to this, please rest assured that LG Electronics is aware of your requests and is doing the necessary process to implement these features in the future software releases. Please be advised that the C9 OLED series are relatively new and only released recently, all the firmware updates will also be coming soon to integrate additional features that did not originally came in with the TV during the initial launch of the product."
+ Last sentence:
"That being said, we would appreciate it if you consent to have your feedback be sent to our management team to make them aware of the demand and proper action can be done to address this."

But as I said in the LPCM thread over at the LG Forum:
As long as we get a 100% confirmation by different LG Sources (or the update itself) "the fight is not over".

For those who do not know about the petition:
https://www.change.org/p/lg-electron...-pcm-over-earc

Thread over at LG Community forum:
https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussio...ass-through/p1
jmpage2, dfa973 and anwsmh like this.
post #6141 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Help with Ideal Connections b/w LG OLED and AVR

Hi all - I just upgraded my TV set from a Panasonic Plasma to an LG OLED (C9). Here is my setup:

Receiver: Marantz 1506
Speakers: 2.0/Stereo
Components: Apple TV 4k, PS4 Slim, Sony Blu-Ray Player

Historically, I've run all of my components through the Marantz via HDMI, and an HDMI out to the TV.

Is there any reason I should be re-routing my components through the OLED instead (and running audio out to the AVR via Optical)?

FWIW, The 1506 is HDCP 2.2 compliant, and all HDMI inputs are 2.0a with 4k pass-through
post #6142 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
If you're in game mode, they are supposed to be. Use a different mode like isf or Technicolor

If you have ALLM (auto low latency mode) selected on the xbox, uncheck it and use anything but game mode.

Also make sure under tv settings, you dont have ALLM selected also.

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Oh ok so it doesn’t work with allm. Thanks

post #6143 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Not that I see.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #6144 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenster3000 View Post
+ Last sentence:
"That being said, we would appreciate it if you consent to have your feedback be sent to our management team to make them aware of the demand and proper action can be done to address this."

As long as we get a 100% confirmation by different LG Sources (or the update itself) "the fight is not over".

That sentence was not included in the email I got. Thanks for sharing.
post #6145 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks
https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/pro...1438429-others

Quote:
Noise Reduction

- Remove small mosquito dots sparkling on screen so as to clean up the image.

MPEG Noise

- Reduce noise on screen produced from analog interlaced video converted to digital.
anwsmh likes this.
post #6146 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenster3000 View Post
+ Last sentence:

We need to keep pressuring them till they actually deliver a fix.
anwsmh and fenster3000 like this.
post #6147 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just received my 65" E9 last Friday and got it all set up last weekend. Around the same time I also received the Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar to setup with the TV. Long story short, even though there are some quirks and a learning curve, I'm loving the new setup. Aesthetically, it looks very sleek and pairs well together.

This setup replaces my older TV and AV receiver (Samsung PN51F8500 51" Plasma and an Onkyo HT-S770 6.1 HTIB). Setup, for the most part, was a breeze. I did have to do some adjustments to my entertainment center stand so that the soundbar didn't impede on the view of the screen. Using some ceramic floor tiles (2x 12x24, 1x 12x12) layered between some rubber matting give the TV just enough height so that the display clears the top of the Q90R. I hooked up the following devices to it:

HDMI 1: Apple TV 4K 64GB
HDMI 2 (eARC): Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar
HDMI 3: Nintendo Switch
HDMI 4: Samsung Bluray Player

All four are hooked up using new 6-10ft certified Premium High Speed HDMI with Ethernet cables. 3 of the cables are Crutchfield and one is Philips (a last minute buy when one of my older directional Monoprice HDMI cables for the Switch wasn't playing nice, causing the screen to flicker badly and constantly lose connection). I have the TV's sound setup going through the sound bar and have ARC selected and eARC enabled. The soundbar was updated to 1008 (?) using the supplied USB drive that came with it. For the most part, the sound has been working fine. I only had one issue when trying to watch Cannon Busters on Netflix where the ambient audio could be heard but none of the dialog. Other shows had no issues. Flipping the audio settings from Bitstream to PCM for the Apple TV 4K input got the dialog audio back. Strangely, I switched it back to Bitstream and that particular episode was acting fine again and I haven't seen that problem since. The other minor audio issue is with the Switch. Setting its audio option to Surround doesn't seem to be working properly. When doing the sound test on the Switch, I only hear 2 out of 6 of the test tones. Changing it to Stereo I can hear all 6 tones. I'm not sure what is up with that.

The viewing experience has been great so far. Watching movies such as How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World in 4K really puts the Dolby Vision HDR to good use. Even 1080P content looks good! The other night I did notice a visual anomaly when watching a Youtube 4K video from First We Feasts channel, Hot Ones S9E11 with Kristen Bell. Whenever the show would do a closeup of Kristen Bell, the black background would flicker (macro blocking issue?). It's the only time I have noticed this. Turning off noise reduction or MPEG noise reduction didn't help. What did work for me was lowering the brightness from the default 50 to something a tad lower, 45. Dropping this down a few notches stopped the flickering completely. I'm using the Cinema Home (User) picture mode. Is this the solution or is there a better method?

The other quirk I ran into happened the other day. I was playing the Switch and when I was trying to load up a game the screen went blank briefly then to the LG artwork screensaver with a popup saying no input was detected, on any input . I tried changing inputs, but no luck. It briefly flashed back to the Switch then went out again. After turning on another device, the Apple TV 4K, the screen eventually went back to an HDMI source (the Apple TV 4K in this instance). I was then able to switch back over to the Switch and continued playing. Later that night, it did the same thing as I was playing the Switch. Again, I had to either power cycle the TV or turn on another device. I was wondering if it was the game mode option in the menu that was enabled causing the problem, but changing that to off did nothing. What may have worked is there is an option turned on for Auto Power On, allowing connected devices to automatically turn on and off the TV when they turn on or off. I really like this option, which I will explain later, so I was bummed that turning it off seems to have fixed my problem. I will say that during the instances that I experienced this lost source input issue, I would start off watching the Apple TV 4K then would change over to the Switch without putting the Apple TV 4K to sleep (since putting the Apple TV 4K to sleep would turn off the TV). If disabling the Auto Power On is the fix, I am wondering if the Apple TV 4K going to sleep in the background is screwing with the TV and causing it to "lose" connectivity to the input sources. I've never experienced this while just watching the Apple TV 4K. So far, it's only been when playing the Switch (which I don't do often). Is this the right solution or should I be looking elsewhere?

Which brings me back to the Auto Power On. I really like this feature and would hope there is a way I can turn it back on and not experience the issue mentioned above. Not only does this feature simplify my ability to use the TV (majority of our watching goes through the Apple TV 4K, I don't have cable TV services), it's also a nice work around to a problem created by having a sound bar in front of the TV: the sound bar makes it really difficult for the TV to receive an IR signal from the remote. What's crazy is that I can control the volume, access the menu, and use the remote's pointer all without issue when the TV is on and no need to have any line of site to the IR receiver. However, when any attempt is made to turn on or off the TV, that IR signal is used. I don't even have the soundbar against the TV, there is a few inches separating the two. But it's enough where I can't use the remote to power on/off the TV from a seated position. The Auto Power On alleviated this problem for me. I even have my TV connected to Alexa and I can turn the TV off via Alexa and perform other functions yet Alexa won't allow me to turn the TV on (it says that it isn't a supported feature). How ack basswards is that?

Just when I thought I no longer needed my Harmony Hub, I feel like the inability to easily power on/off the TV is forcing me to break it back out and wire up the IR blasters to help solve this problem. Just more wires and more complexity to perform such a simple task. I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has them.

Again, I'm really enjoying this TV. I just need to iron out some of the bugs.

On an different note: If the sound bar is connected to the HDMI ARC input and eARC is turned on, am I only allowed to connect input devices to the TV or can I use both the TV and the soundbar's HDMI inputs? I had one other device that I would like to connect to the TV (Steam Link) but I ran out of HDMI inputs. While it isn't a deal breaker to not have it connected, it would be nice to know if I have the option to do that if I wanted to eventually plug it in.

Thanks!
post #6148 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
You might also consider a 65" B9. The differences between the C9 and the B9 would probably be pretty minor to you.
Ah, thanks. I could do the 65" B9. I admit I'm not a hardcore enthusiast like most of you guys, so prob wouldn't notice differences from the C9. But just out of curiosity, what are they?

As for seating distance from set, I thought there was some rough rule of thumb involving TV size and viewing distance. Is that no longer needed because screen door effect is no longer an issue with newest sets? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm trying to imagine sitting 7 feet away from a 77" set and my mind boggles.

Thanks....
post #6149 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Ah, thanks. I could do the 65" B9. I admit I'm not a hardcore enthusiast like most of you guys, so prob wouldn't notice differences from the C9. But just out of curiosity, what are they?

As for seating distance from set, I thought there was some rough rule of thumb involving TV size and viewing distance. Is that no longer needed because screen door effect is no longer an issue with newest sets? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm trying to imagine sitting 7 feet away from a 77" set and my mind boggles.

Thanks....
The general idea would be to sit far enough so you don't see pixels, and near enough to get the home cinema vibe without getting dizzy.

Try the rtings calculator.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by...e-relationship

On 4k content, you can't see pixels even from a foot away. So basically you sit as near as you can handle it! :-)

tintinjones and anwsmh like this.
post #6150 of 10417 Old 09-06-2019, 03:00 PM

Any great HDR/Dolby Vision movies or shows to try and enjoy this tv instead of spending my time writing about it in forums?

My recommendation: Bladerunner 2049 - make sure to watch in HDR. Netflix only has it in 4k, at least in my region.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page