2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 253 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8502Likes

post #7561 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The update isn't available yet in the U.S (or at least in my area) so far. I've checked a few times and the TV still says it's up to date. I was curious about the improvements to the home dashboard mentioned. Any info on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 68
If I understand GSYNC correctly, since the display will only do GSYNC 40-60Hz right now, we would want to cap our FPS to 60 in the drivers?

Alternative, could enable VSYNC but that means VSYNC will overwrite GSYNC whenever you are at 60FPS (99% of the time for me), which re-introduces increases input lag.

Last edited by Laupe; 10-19-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #7563 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonastaghizadeh View Post
So as long as you set the NSU back to user, you will be able to receive future proper firmware upgrades? as long as that is true, I see no reasons why I shoudnt test this myself. Where did you get the LG update?
The only potential problem with engineering/beta firmware is once it's installed, if they release a final ota firmware and the number is not higher then the beta number, you won't be able to install the official firmware.

The problem with that is if the final version has more fixes then the beta, you wont get them.

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7564 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
The only potential problem with engineering/beta firmware is once it's installed, if they release a final ota firmware and the number is not higher then the beta number, you won't be able to install the official firmware.

The problem with that is if the final version has more fixes then the beta, you wont get them.

Hmm. Do we know how long after beta fw the final fw is usually released? And do the beta fw usually have higher or lower numbers?
post #7565 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Here's a pretty low quality video of Control using G-Sync on my C9. As you can see, the Gsync indicator on the left indicates that it's working. The game was fluctuating between 45-60 fps in this clip, and there was not a tear to be seen.

And sorry about my messy desk.

Quote:

Yeah, this is the reason I'm not going further than 04.70.05 for now.

Last edited by Deepo; 10-19-2019 at 07:11 AM.
post #7566 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7507 Post(s)
Liked: 7538
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I've recently been having issues with HDMI handshake between the C9 and my Denon AVR. Almost daily when I turn them "On", I get a "No Signal" screen on the TV. I then have to power cycle either the AVR or the TV to get a signal back on the TV. Does this indicate a bad HDMI cable? I didn't have this problem (at least as often) as within the last few weeks.
So many variables, that does stink..... My firestick started doing this except I had to unplug it and replug it every use. I unplugged it from the power conditioner and then directory in the wall, now its good.....really?
post #7567 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepo View Post
Here's a pretty low quality video of Control using G-Sync on my C9. As you can see, the Gsync indicator on the left indicates that it's working. The game was fluctuating between 45-60 fps in this clip, and there was not a tear to be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6FgKo47wAY

Duuuude, that's awesome!!! So smooth.

Well done, i can't wait to get it going.

Did you try [email protected] ?
post #7568 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyH View Post
Duuuude, that's awesome!!! So smooth.

Well done, i can't wait to get it going.

Did you try [email protected] ?
Yeah, I've tried [email protected] in a few games, and it works beautifully. Borderlands 3 benefits greatly, as the fps fluctuates a lot between 60-120.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
post #7569 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5152 Post(s)
Liked: 3163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
So many variables, that does stink..... My firestick started doing this except I had to unplug it and replug it every use. I unplugged it from the power conditioner and then directory in the wall, now its good.....really?
Thanks for the response! It seems to happen mostly when viewing the TiVo Bolt device. It also happens in a second room where there is a different display (Vizio) but another Bolt. The other similarity is that I also have another Denon model in this room. I'm wondering now if there must be a video setting on the TiVo that might help?

lujan
677 Ultra HD
733 HD
4 SD
post #7570 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Do you cap FPS at 60 or have VSYNC running alongside GSYNC?
post #7571 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Finding it really hard to resist the urge to install this beta right now :P

Quote:

Has this actually happened to people that have used beta firmware or do the betas usually have lower numbers than the final releases? Trying to get an idea of the risks before installing the beta. Is there a list of beta firmwares anywhere? If there was such a list we could simply compare them to the final releases to get an idea of the likelihood of being stuck on a lower firmware as a result of installing the g sync beta.

Last edited by Jonastaghizadeh; 10-19-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #7572 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Does anyone have a link to korean lg site with 04.70.05?
post #7573 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohngPR View Post
Amazing news if true! It’s my only complaint of the TV since getting it about a week and a half ago. Maybe now I can finally get both VRR via TV input and Dolby Atmos via my AVR at the same time on my Xbox One X without an unfixable audio delay.
Alas, 04.70.05 did not fix the ARC delay I get on Xbox One X when using Dolby Atmos or Dolby 5.1.
post #7574 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Finding it really hard to resist the urge to install this beta right now :P
Has this actually happened to people that have used beta firmware or do the betas usually have lower numbers than the final releases? Trying to get an idea of the risks before installing the beta.
There are people with C8s who are stuck with old beta firmware, so it is certainly a risk.

The current public version is 03.60.19, so it is very possible that the next public version will be 03.70.xx. There may never be a public version higher than 04.70.05, though there may be beta versions higher than that. Of course, installing those increases your risk.
mrtickleuk and dfa973 like this.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2

Last edited by Baff; 10-19-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #7575 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 6074 Post(s)
Liked: 8797
Quote:

Has this actually happened to people that have used beta firmware or do the betas usually have lower numbers than the final releases?
YES (but no, they are not beta). LOADS of people, read the C8 thread. I strong strongly recommend you do not do this. Many of the users who jumped the gun on the C8 thread who were too impatient to wait for the near-black chroma overshoot fix installed Engineering Firmware versions, and now they are FAQed and can't install the later real releases which have fixes which they want.

Quote:
Trying to get an idea of the risks before installing the beta.
It is not a beta. It is Engineering Firmware. This is lower than "alpha" in the hierarchy of versioning.

Quote:
Is there a list of beta firmwares anywhere?
Beta-testing would happen internal to LG. LG does not do public beta-testing. This is not a beta firmware.

NB: Do not confuse installing Engineering firmwares which carries this large risk (and I WOULD NOT DO IT), with installing world-wide firmware versions which work in many countries and are bit-identical. For example, the same chassis is used in South Korea, America, Canada and the firmware is built with all the languages in it, so whichever website has it first, you guys can install the firmware from the Korean website if you want. This is not "the Korean firmware", it's the American-Canadian-Korean firmware.

Similarly with our European models. All of Europe + some other countries (Russia IIRC) share the same chassis and therefore firmware. There's only 2 or 3 different firmwares for each model-range across the world.
iatacs19 and ShinKaz like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 10-19-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #7576 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
Alas, 04.70.05 did not fix the ARC delay I get on Xbox One X when using Dolby Atmos or Dolby 5.1.
Do you have the tv HDMI audio set to pass through?

Under tv settings, sound, arc

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #7577 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laupe View Post
Do you cap FPS at 60 or have VSYNC running alongside GSYNC?
I've tried both, similiar results, although a cap at 60 might introduce a tear here or there. Not a big deal in Control, since it's so demanding, so I almost never reach 60 at max settings anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
YES (but no, they are not beta). LOADS of people, read the C8 thread. I strong strongly recommend you do not do this. Many of the users who jumped the gun on the C8 thread who were too impatient to wait for the near-black chroma overshoot fix installed Engineering Firmware versions, and now they are FAQed and can't install the later real releases which have fixes which they want.

It is not a beta. It is Engineering Firmware. This is lower than "alpha" in the hierarchy of versioning.

Beta-testing would happen internal to LG. LG does not do public beta-testing. This is not a beta firmware.

NB: Do not confuse installing Engineering firmwares which carries this large risk (and I WOULD NOT DO IT), with installing world-wide firmware versions which work in many countries and are bit-identical. For example, the same chassis is used in South Korea, America, Canada and the firmware is built with all the languages in it, so whichever website has it first, you guys can install the firmware from the Korean website if you want. This is not "the Korean firmware", it's the American-Canadian-Korean firmware.

Similarly with our European models. All of Europe + some other countries (Russia IIRC) share the same chassis and therefore firmware. There's only 2 or 3 different firmwares for each model-range across the world.
I agree with everything said here. I did it while under the impression I could downgrade like on the C6, but I'm stuck for now. It seems I got lucky this time, since 04.70.05 is already out in Korea, but I was scared there for a minute. I don't think I'd take the risk again, knowing what I know now.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Last edited by Deepo; 10-19-2019 at 08:32 AM.
post #7578 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post

Thx for all the feedback. Wont install the engineer update then. Really dont wonna risk being unable to install all the updates when hdmi 2.1 devices like the next gen consoles release 2020. Getting VRR working on PS5 is as important as getting g-sync for my 2080 ti for me.

Do the Korean firmware updates work on European c9s without risking bricking your TV or is it only safe and/or work on american-canadian ones?

Last edited by Jonastaghizadeh; 10-19-2019 at 08:40 AM.
post #7579 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I've tried both, similiar results, although a cap at 60 might introduce a tear here or there. Not a big deal in Control, since it's so demanding, so I almost never reach 60 at max settings anyway.

I agree with everything said here. I did it while under the impression I could downgrade like on the C6, but I'm stuck for now. It seems I got lucky this time, since 04.70.05 is already out in Korea, but I was scared there for a minute. I don't think I'd take the risk again, knowing what I know now.

Any additional resolution support added?
post #7580 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphray View Post
Any additional resolution support added?
Kind of? 4K 120hz and 100hz appears in the NVCpl out of the box in 04.70.05 (engineering version, not sure about public), but trying them results in a corrupted image. So they're trying to implement it, but it doesn't seem to be working yet. I use this cable, so I doubt the problem is on my end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4K 120.png
Views:	93
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	2629294  
Jonastaghizadeh likes this.
post #7581 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Did you use the engineer version or the korean version of 04.70.05? Is there a difference?

Last edited by Jonastaghizadeh; 10-19-2019 at 09:25 AM.
post #7582 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
The current public version is 03.60.19, so it is very possible that the next public version will be 03.70.xx. There may never be a public version higher than 04.70.05, though there may be beta versions higher than that.
No. As said in my previous post, 04.70.05 has already been publicly released. The risk of the version never becoming higher than 04.70.05 is zero.
post #7583 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Installed 04.70.05 from korean lg site. I can confirm gsync is working with nvidia drivers 440.52.

Here is link to 04.70.05 of someone wants it.
https://www.lgservice.co.kr/fileDown...873&check=true
Deepo and Jonastaghizadeh like this.
post #7584 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Installed 04.70.05 from korean lg site. I can confirm gsync is working with nvidia drivers 440.52.

Here is link to 04.70.05 of someone wants it.
https://www.lgservice.co.kr/fileDown...873&check=true
Does it work on European sets? Also is this a beta or a normal release?
post #7585 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:

I wonder if the European engineer version of 04.70.05 is identical to the Korean one.
post #7586 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laupe View Post
If I understand GSYNC correctly, since the display will only do GSYNC 40-60Hz right now, we would want to cap our FPS to 60 in the drivers?

Alternative, could enable VSYNC but that means VSYNC will overwrite GSYNC whenever you are at 60FPS (99% of the time for me), which re-introduces increases input lag.

I think if you want optimal input lag you need to keep it below the max range of the monitor by 3fps, so in this case 57fps or for 1440p, 117fps. That’s what I understand from reading the guides out there. I may have that wrong but that is how I understood it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
post #7587 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Kind of? 4K 120hz and 100hz appears in the NVCpl out of the box in 04.70.05 (engineering version, not sure about public), but trying them results in a corrupted image. So they're trying to implement it, but it doesn't seem to be working yet. I use this cable, so I doubt the problem is on my end.

Did you try 4k/120 it with 4:2:2 8 bit?

post #7588 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post
Did you try 4k/120 it with 4:2:2 8 bit?

Yeah, I tried 4:2:0 8 bit as well, image is still corrupted.
post #7589 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I tried 4:2:0 8 bit as well, image is still corrupted.

Well it is at least a positive sign that it is now an option. Is 4k 4:2:2 100hz a possibility with 10 bit HDR? Or is that too much bandwidth

post #7590 of 14804 Old 10-19-2019, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolfotregosa View Post
@Prime957

Since you are on 04.80.12 how is the G-SYNC situation? Working, bluff?
Not able to see any options for G-sync / vrr / ALLM ... using nVidia 436.51 (Hot fix on 10.1.2019)
I just found out that Windows insiders got a "beta" 440.52 driver. Going to check that out and I'll let you guys know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , directional hdmi , hdmi , lg c9 , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , lgoled , Marantz , oled , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels , soundbar advice , sr5012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page