2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 261 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5746Likes

post #7801 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Joined the club this weekend. Got a 55C9 for my bedroom gaming display.

So far I am very impressed. This is my first experience with OLED. Watching some of the 8k/HDR videos on YT was really impressive.

Have only used XBOX One X with it so far as I am waiting on new furniture...but will eventually have both XBOX and PS4 Pro.

Still tinkering with best settings. I seem to prefer color temp MEDIUM as the Warm's have to much "yellowish" look for me.

Pretty much all the "processing" settings I have turned off.

So basically, you prefer unrealistic colour. I personally would just recommend you use Warm 2 and before you know it you will be used to it. I used to be in the cool club myself until I forced myself to use warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
1. To what firmware version did you update?
2. Did you try un-pairing and re-pairing the remote?
I have the same problem.

1. 04.70.05 EU
2. I did it but it is still the same
post #7803 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Yesterday when I tried it, Netflix on the Smart app was working providing Atmos. This morning when I tried it, it was back to DD+ 5.1 so I don’t know why it’s not consistent? I do have eARC with passthrough. I also uninstalled and then reinstalled the Netflix app and no dice.
Try this..

Watch an Atmos program, then go the the program audio settings and you should see an Atmos option, click on it, then wait a few seconds. Then click on the standard stereo setting, wait a few seconds & then switch back to Atmos.

You should be good now..

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7804 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
I just updated my firmware, and it broke the magic remote. Buttons work, but motion tracking is completely messed up. Has anyone else experienced this?
There was a remote update with this firmware at least with the US version.

Try unplugging the tv then hold the power button for 10 seconds. Leave the tv unplugged for 2 minutes. Plug back in and the remote software update notification should show up again and say it's updating the remote.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #7805 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
I just updated my firmware, and it broke the magic remote. Buttons work, but motion tracking is completely messed up. Has anyone else experienced this?
Updated yesterday, my tracking has been working normally. Be aware that tracking is based on what direction your remote is facing each time you enable the pointer. So, it is best to have your remote pointed right at the tv when you enable the pointer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Weird!

Can anyone confirm that their AirPlay works when trying to play Music?
I usually airplay to my Denon, but just did Apple Music airplay to my C9 and it worked fine.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #7806 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
There was a remote update with this firmware at least with the US version.

Try unplugging the tv then hold the power button for 10 seconds. Leave the tv unplugged for 2 minutes. Plug back in and the remote software update notification should show up again and say it's updating the remote.

The remote update applied. That's what broke tracking. I activate it pointing at the TV.
post #7807 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
I usually airplay to my Denon, but just did Apple Music airplay to my C9 and it worked fine.

I can't figure out what it is... I've tried different devices, rebooting my router, internal speaker audio, ARC and eARC.

I seem to be able to stream video from YouTube to my TV, I've tried Audio Only Twitch and that's fine. I've tested AirPlay 2 to both a HomePod and Amplifier in my apartment and it's fine.

As soon as I try playing Apple Music to the TV, it pops up the album art and song title. Plays about half a second of audio then nothing. It seems like audio is still playing on the device, but the UI on the TV doesn't move along with it.

If anyone has any ideas please shoot them my way.
post #7808 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Is the firmware 04.70.05 is the one with the Gsync added update?

I ordered an E9 from Amazon. Is there a nenefit of E9 over C9?

Last edited by jincuteguy; 10-21-2019 at 08:30 AM.
post #7809 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 6784
Quote:
Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post
I ordered an E9 from Amazon. Is there a benefit of E9 over C9?
There are some who feel the panels are better, I feel more testing would have to be done to verify that.

--You get a different cosmetic look, you get a little better speakers..........that it.......
Andreas Moyseos likes this.
post #7810 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post
Is the firmware 04.70.05 is the one with the Gsync added update?

I ordered an E9 from Amazon. Is there a nenefit of E9 over C9?
Nope it does nothing to g sync. G sync works quite well right now with a beta nvidia driver however

Last edited by Jonastaghizadeh; 10-21-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #7811 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked: 2759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
Try this..

Watch an Atmos program, then go the the program audio settings and you should see an Atmos option, click on it, then wait a few seconds. Then click on the standard stereo setting, wait a few seconds & then switch back to Atmos.

You should be good now..

There is no Atmos option in the list (image attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NetflixAudio.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2630134  

lujan
571 Ultra HD
725 HD
4 SD
post #7812 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's strange, I show Atmos options

post #7813 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Dumb question, but where do I change the color temp and where is tone mapping in the menu?

Also, can I disable the magic remote? I hate the pointer.
post #7814 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hi all,

I just got the 65C9 last week and the PQ is simply amazing. So I'm very happy with it in that regard.

However, I feel like the panel is very slightly bent when looking at it from the sides. My eyes may be deceiving me though. It's hard to say for sure. The panel also wobbles when I touch it slightly. I have it mounted on the stand. The picture is 100% fine when actually watching something on it.

I was wondering if I should worry about these things. Is anybody else experiencing a very slight bent in their panels? Perhaps these are just normal occurrences with these extremely thin panels, and I just need to get used to it?
post #7815 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post
Dumb question, but where do I change the color temp and where is tone mapping in the menu?

Also, can I disable the magic remote? I hate the pointer.
Color temp is under expert controls/ white balance

Dynamic tone mapping is only available when hdr10 (Dolby vision doesn't use the dynamic tone mapping option) is active under expert controls as well

post #7816 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post
I hate the pointer.
Supposedly:
-Pointer can be Disabled.
To disable the pointer: Press "Back" button + "Home" remote buttons for about 30 seconds until the mouse pointer disappears.
To enable the pointer: Press "Scroll" button until LED power button is blinking, then the cursor will appear. The TV should preserve the disabled/enabled state over the Power On/Off cycle.

I haven't tried it, some say it doesn't work.

Personally, when I don't want the pointer, I just press the down arrow on the remote to get rid of it for the moment.

I know @avernar was trying to permanently get rid of the pointer, maybe he found a way.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2

Last edited by Baff; 10-21-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #7817 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_rad4 View Post
So basically, you prefer unrealistic colour. I personally would just recommend you use Warm 2 and before you know it you will be used to it. I used to be in the cool club myself until I forced myself to use warm.

Could be....my eyes are not what they used to be... But even watching HDR stuff off Youtube...like the Peru or Costa Rica videos....Medium looked so much more "real" to me...

Any idea what the actual "temps" LG claims are for Med,Warm1,Warm2,Warm3,etc. Is Warm2 their closest to 6500? I have seen some settings guides on the web for previous OLED models but they refer to W40,W45, etc.
post #7818 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
I know @avernar was trying to permanently get rid of the pointer, maybe he found a way.
Not yet. I'm thinking about getting a second remote, opening it and disabling the "gyro" chip if I can find it.
post #7819 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

I have the same problem, no Atmos.
When I switch off eArc and switch on internal speakers then Atmos is available in Netflix. I reckon this is Netflix issue, not LG.
BTW. Watching some clips from attached hard drive into LG I have Atmos sound directly via eArc to my avr Yamaha 2080.
post #7820 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by papylon View Post
I have the same problem, no Atmos.
When I switch off eArc and switch on internal speakers then Atmos is available in Netflix. I reckon this is Netflix issue, not LG.
This is exactly what was happening to me but was fixed once I upgraded to the latest C9 firmware. So I think it's the TV incorrectly telling the app what's available.
post #7821 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Could somebody do an EDID read/dump of their TV with this enabled? I’m really interested to see if you can influence the GSYNC range and if the HGIG parameter is sending anything
helvetica bold likes this.
post #7822 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

You are losing your peak brightness by conforming yourself to the Hollywood movie standard of videos.

The TVs were built by Korea. The white point is if I remember correctly, D100. That is why when you calibrate your TV with Calman to D65 White point, you will end up losing some of your peak brightness as the white LED in your WOLED subpixel is not being used as much. Some countries in the east like Japan uses a different set of standards like D97 white point. So I can also say, you are not watching Japanese animes to the proper colour that the Japanese producer intended.
I can tell you in all honesty with the windows open, I don't see my daylight and especially the mid noon to look that yellowish as compared to my TV that was colour corrected to D65 White balance. Thus, D65 in itself is not how I see the world as as well.
And don't forget. Films are now filmed digitally. Not on yellowish films that makes all old movies look super old. Digital cameras helps us to achieve proper whites without painting a yellowish tint across the picture.
Not to mention, our houses or my house at least now use LED lights. Not incandescent lighting. So I see my walls in your definition of bluish whites instead of the yellowish like unlike last time which in itself, didn't match the colour of the sky in broad daylight.

This is where I think XRITE says it best.

"While you could recalibrate to a different white point in the evenings, it would likely be more distracting that using the same setting all the time. Attempting to simulate incandescent light on your monitor would result in an extremely yellow-orange display.
What works best also strongly depends on the ambient lighting. If you are doing a lot of image evaluation, try to match the white point of your display to that of your room lighting to help minimize the discrepancy when switching back and forth. In general, your eye should adapt to the white point of the display fairly quickly, and your impression of "blueness" may be a color memory issue that will diminish with time."

What I did was this during my Calman for LG calibration afterwards. I set a different white point balance similar to my country's daylight situation which is closer to Japan broadcast standard of D97 but not exactly D97. But the rest is still set to the colour standard. The end result is all the primary and secondary colours are unaffected but my White point looks more natural to what I see around me. This can be confirmed from local TV programmes or your own videos that you shot that you can rewatch at home. Or even better, looking at your surroundings and seeing if the whites matches the white on your wall from the sun's rays hitting it and not the TV's lights hitting the wall. Even the people's skins started to look normal. You can see even their pinkish hue when they blush instead of everyone looking sickly with unnatural yellowish skins thanks to the D65 yellow tint across the screen. As mentioned, other than the whites, everything else is colour accurate. So it's a win-win.

But if you have some thoughts, please do share. I'd love to learn more about this topic as well.
post #7823 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemstel View Post
Hi all,

I just got the 65C9 last week and the PQ is simply amazing. So I'm very happy with it in that regard.

However, I feel like the panel is very slightly bent when looking at it from the sides. My eyes may be deceiving me though. It's hard to say for sure. The panel also wobbles when I touch it slightly. I have it mounted on the stand. The picture is 100% fine when actually watching something on it.

I was wondering if I should worry about these things. Is anybody else experiencing a very slight bent in their panels? Perhaps these are just normal occurrences with these extremely thin panels, and I just need to get used to it?
My 77c9 is also leaning backwards. I called the shop, they came to check it out, turns out my tv furniture is slightly leaning, and the tv is also very slightly leaning.
I made a post with pictures on this thread.

I'm satisfied that the tv's lean is not worrisome, and i put some folded a4 paper under the stand to help it be vertical.
Aemstel likes this.
post #7824 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Could be....my eyes are not what they used to be... But even watching HDR stuff off Youtube...like the Peru or Costa Rica videos....Medium looked so much more "real" to me...

Any idea what the actual "temps" LG claims are for Med,Warm1,Warm2,Warm3,etc. Is Warm2 their closest to 6500? I have seen some settings guides on the web for previous OLED models but they refer to W40,W45, etc.

Warm 2 is closest to 6500 out of the box. I know on the older ones W40 etc was used in game mode for colour temps

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
post #7825 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLAsN View Post
You are losing your peak brightness by conforming yourself to the Hollywood movie standard of videos.

The TVs were built by Korea. The white point is if I remember correctly, D100. That is why when you calibrate your TV with Calman to D65 White point, you will end up losing some of your peak brightness as the white LED in your WOLED subpixel is not being used as much. Some countries in the east like Japan uses a different set of standards like D97 white point. So I can also say, you are not watching Japanese animes to the proper colour that the Japanese producer intended.

I can tell you in all honesty with the windows open, I don't see my daylight and especially the mid noon to look that yellowish as compared to my TV that was colour corrected to D65 White balance. Thus, D65 in itself is not how I see the world as as well.

And don't forget. Films are now filmed digitally. Not on yellowish films that makes all old movies look super old. Digital cameras helps us to achieve proper whites without painting a yellowish tint across the picture.

Not to mention, our houses or my house at least now use LED lights. Not incandescent lighting. So I see my walls in your definition of bluish whites instead of the yellowish like unlike last time which in itself, didn't match the colour of the sky in broad daylight.

This is where I think XRITE says it best.

"While you could recalibrate to a different white point in the evenings, it would likely be more distracting that using the same setting all the time. Attempting to simulate incandescent light on your monitor would result in an extremely yellow-orange display.

What works best also strongly depends on the ambient lighting. If you are doing a lot of image evaluation, try to match the white point of your display to that of your room lighting to help minimize the discrepancy when switching back and forth. In general, your eye should adapt to the white point of the display fairly quickly, and your impression of "blueness" may be a color memory issue that will diminish with time."

What I did was this during my Calman for LG calibration afterwards. I set a different white point balance similar to my country's daylight situation which is closer to Japan broadcast standard of D97 but not exactly D97. But the rest is still set to the colour standard. The end result is all the primary and secondary colours are unaffected but my White point looks more natural to what I see around me. This can be confirmed from local TV programmes or your own videos that you shot that you can rewatch at home. Or even better, looking at your surroundings and seeing if the whites matches the white on your wall from the sun's rays hitting it and not the TV's lights hitting the wall. Even the people's skins started to look normal. You can see even their pinkish hue when they blush instead of everyone looking sickly with unnatural yellowish skins thanks to the D65 yellow tint across the screen. As mentioned, other than the whites, everything else is colour accurate. So it's a win-win.

But if you have some thoughts, please do share. I'd love to learn more about this topic as well.
Hi very interestion post, would you mind sharing your D97 or close to D97 custom WP target for Calman? Id like to try with my C9. Thanks

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
post #7826 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Moyseos View Post
My 77c9 is also leaning backwards. I called the shop, they came to check it out, turns out my tv furniture is slightly leaning, and the tv is also very slightly leaning.
I made a post with pictures on this thread.

I'm satisfied that the tv's lean is not worrisome, and i put some folded a4 paper under the stand to help it be vertical.
Thanks Andreas. I suppose I'll just get used to it then and enjoy the amazing PQ. I have 5 year warranty if any serious issue occurs later on.

I do think they make these panels too thin. It's cool etc. but it's so flimsy/ breakable. They really should reinforce them to make them a bit sturdier, in my opinion.
Andreas Moyseos likes this.
post #7827 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Warm 2 is closest to 6500 out of the box. I know on the older ones W40 etc was used in game mode for colour temps

Thanks, that is what I assumed.

Hopefully, tonight I will get some time to bring up some test patterns and test images.
post #7828 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm guessing that having a receiver between my PC and TV will be a problem with G-Sync?
post #7829 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriouser View Post
I'm guessing that having a receiver between my PC and TV will be a problem with G-Sync?
Yes. Direct connect your PC to the TV for G-Sync.

LG OLED65C9PUA; Denon AVR-X4500H, 7.2.4 ATMOS
LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X6300H also rocking 7.2.4 ATMOS goodness!
Samsung UN65HU9000FXZA (TS01) with SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit, Onkyo TX-RZ1100
post #7830 of 9555 Old 10-21-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
I have this same problem since I own this TV. Airplay never worked on the tv, luckily I own the ATV 4K box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Can anyone confirm that their AirPlay works when trying to play Music?
Ok, I rebooted everything including Wi-Fi router, and the LG C9 itself (by unplugging the TV for about a minute, after it had been off for several hours - to be sure I didn't interrupt a pixel refresh cycle, and pressing/holding the power button for 10 seconds before plugging back in). Everything is working now including screen mirroring from MacBook and iPhone, and playback of movies and music from iTunes. The only thing that doesn't work is directly playing video files (.mp4) from Quicktime or Photos on my MacBook Air. I never get past the Airplay menu screen on the C9. Playing videos files directly from my iPhone works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page