2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 263 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6003Likes

post #7861 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laupe View Post
It's not gonna change anything because the NVIDIA drivers control the RGB level. As far as I know, you cannot get 4:4:4 on LG OLED without PC mode.
Nothing to do with RGB levels. RGB and YCbCr444 are two different ways of sending the colour information. You can see in my screenshot my laptop is sending YCbCr444 and I have never renamed any of my inputs to turn on PC mode.

Setting the C9 picture mode to game might turn off some of the picture processing that is making your picture look bad in non-PC mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I didn't notice too much in outlast TBH. I think you'll have a hard time noticing the problems with that game.

Yeah just did the opening scene driving around in the dark then walked around for a bit in outlast, nothing but smooth gradients. If there are any other games where it's noticeable that I might have I can give it a try, but I'm not seeing it. Maybe hardware variances or some other variable?
post #7863 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoro1 View Post
Maybe hardware variances or some other variable?
Can you take a pic of your HDMI Diagnostics screen so we can compare with his?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7864 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post
This is an issue going back several generations of LG OLED's. It affects the C9, C8, C7 and C6 (I also own a C6). The banding is even worse in HDR content in PC mode. I don't have much hope that LG will fix it
Here is a forum that discusses the issue a little.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1869558
No way to fix it until LG does something but I don't have high hopes as it hasn't been fixed in 4 generations of OLED's. You can reduce the banding by switching to YCbCr 4:4:4 in the Nvidia control panel but you'll be stuck on Limited Range and reduced quality, especially with text.
I can confirmed that setting YCbCr 4:4:4 and forcing the TV to use HDMI level "Limited" fixes the issue. Losing 0-255 is much less noticeable than losing 4:4:4... so thanks for that.

I guess I'll run the set in 16-235.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
Nothing to do with RGB levels. RGB and YCbCr444 are two different ways of sending the colour information. You can see in my screenshot my laptop is sending YCbCr444 and I have never renamed any of my inputs to turn on PC mode.

Setting the C9 picture mode to game might turn off some of the picture processing that is making your picture look bad in non-PC mode.
You cannot get 4:4:4 in non-PC mode on LG OLED, it's been that way for years. I manually set game preset to the same settings as ISF dark mode. Everything looks the same but 4:4:4 text tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoro1 View Post
Yeah just did the opening scene driving around in the dark then walked around for a bit in outlast, nothing but smooth gradients. If there are any other games where it's noticeable that I might have I can give it a try, but I'm not seeing it. Maybe hardware variances or some other variable?
Thanks for trying, I played all of outlast this week and only noticed it in one or two areas. Bioshock is the biggest offenders I found so far, it's so bad that it makes the set appear faulty. It seems limiting the display to 16-235 (YCbCr444) mostly fixes it for me.

Last edited by Laupe; 10-21-2019 at 08:24 PM.
post #7865 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi there!

Brand new C9 owner here, what a TV! I'm delighted!

I've did a lot of reading recently regarding the TV/settings/quirks etc but there's one question I can't seem to find a definitive answer too, so if someone could help me out and supply me with answers I'd really appreciate it. I've browsed over this thread but it's such a behemoth it's difficult to find.

Anyway, I understand when playing a HDR game (say for examples Gears 5 on Xbox One X) you can choose the specific 'game HDR' mode in picture settings, my question is simple, what benefits does this have over other HDR settings? Such as Cinema/Cinema Dark etc. I presumed low latency mode would be activated under any picture setting automatically?

One of the features of this TV that appealed to me was the fact you can play using low latency while having any picture settings active you like, such as dynamic tone mapping etc. Most other tvs don't really allow this as you know.

Anyway if someone could advise/educate me that'd be great.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #7866 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just bought the LG C9, where can I find good settings For cable, 4K video, etc to try. Is there a post here by any chance that a lot of people are using.
post #7867 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Can you take a pic of your HDMI Diagnostics screen so we can compare with his?

Sorry it turned out a little blurry. The differences I can spot are that mine is showing 59.92hz vs 60hz and scaninfo has Horizvalid vs Invalid.
Oddly mine also has a rapidly fluctuation error count for CTLE Ch1 Result,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hdmi.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	2630492  
post #7868 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4771 Post(s)
Liked: 2802
Quote:
But you do get ATMOS when you switch back? If you don’t there is something else wrong.

You need to follow these steps exactly:
  1. Switch to internal while on the show’s info screen so it switches from VISION 5.1 to VISION ATMOS
  2. Play the show
  3. Switch to eARC while playing. Your AVR should say ATMOS at this point.
It did display Atmos when switching to internal speakers but went back to 5.1 DD+ after switching back to eARC.

lujan
581 Ultra HD
722 HD
4 SD
post #7869 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar pena View Post
Does anybody know if the C9 does lossless sound when using WiSA speakers? I have written to LG and received no response. I am using the Klipsch Reference speakers and the Axiim Link. Can somebody please answer?
I haven't heard anyone here (other than you) discuss the actual use of WiSA with these displays. We have had some conversations about WiSA, in general terms, as it might work. But, AFAIK no one has ever said they were using WiSA.

You appear to be our pioneer. I think we'd all like to know if lossless audio is possible via WiSA.

I'm not sure we even know that WiSA will work, at all.
KC-Technerd likes this.

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #7870 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
It did display Atmos when switching to internal speakers but went back to 5.1 DD+ after switching back to eARC.
If you switched back to eARC while it’s playing then it doesn’t sound like the bug the rest of us had.

What AVR do you have?
post #7871 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 10:50 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:
If you switched back to eARC while it’s playing then it doesn’t sound like the bug the rest of us had.

What AVR do you have?

As I wrote before, have the same issue. Sometimes its works but for mostly not.
I have Yamaha 2080.
Got Atmos while playing from external source such as hard drive connecting to USB on the tv every time!
I reckon this is Netflix issue or combination LG/Netflix.
post #7872 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6848 Post(s)
Liked: 6844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemstel View Post
Hi all,

I just got the 65C9 last week and the PQ is simply amazing. So I'm very happy with it in that regard.

However, I feel like the panel is very slightly bent when looking at it from the sides. My eyes may be deceiving me though. It's hard to say for sure. The panel also wobbles when I touch it slightly. I have it mounted on the stand. The picture is 100% fine when actually watching something on it.

I was wondering if I should worry about these things. Is anybody else experiencing a very slight bent in their panels? Perhaps these are just normal occurrences with these extremely thin panels, and I just need to get used to it?
oh your eyes are not playing tricks, you have bends and waves probably in all panels.
Aemstel likes this.
post #7873 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You cannot get 4:4:4 in non-PC mode on LG OLED, it's been that way for years.
Yeah, you're right. Tried both RGB and 4:4:4 and the TV does some kind of weird internal 4:2:2 processing on the image even though the input signal is not sub sampled.
post #7874 of 10338 Old 10-21-2019, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papylon View Post
As I wrote before, have the same issue. Sometimes its works but for mostly not.
I have Yamaha 2080.
Got Atmos while playing from external source such as hard drive connecting to USB on the tv every time!
I reckon this is Netflix issue or combination LG/Netflix.
It's odd that it's fixed on the latest firmware for some of us and not for others.
post #7875 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So pc mode on c9 is still a no-go due to banding issue? The reason I want to use pc mode is because then I can enjoy low input lag with other picture preset e.g. technicolor instead of game which is very inaccurate in colors according to flatpanels’s review
post #7876 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
HI,

I'm a new owner of the C9 for a few days now.

I Cant get CEC or Simplilink to work. Everything is switched on in the Simplilink Menü, but it doesnt work.

I Worked fine with my C7 before.

I Think it has something to do with the device connector. Controlling my apple tv via cec works until the message appers "you can use now your magig remote to Control the device" I think its somehow switching from cec Control to ir universal Control...

What should i do?

Thx

Last edited by NipNippo; 10-22-2019 at 02:18 AM.
post #7877 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
It's odd that it's fixed on the latest firmware for some of us and not for others.

To many variables such AVR type, cables etc. but prefer when things working or not permanently.
C9 in my opinion is a great tv but software need to be improved for connecting any external avr , sound-bar, meets eArc standard but is not.
Switching all the time between Atmos and 5.1 to get finally Atmos thru HDMI cable is not the solution, at least for me.
lujan and ShinKaz like this.
post #7878 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all. I got a b8 55 about 2 months ago. I've used it for 240 hours, I absolutely love oled. However I greatly prefer how pc games look on this thing. Particularly with HDR. I also have a Acer xb270hu which is a 144 hz gaming workhorse. The difference between them is astounding. I always prefer to play on the oled because games look unrecognizably better and become immersive as a result, however I'm finding that even on my 1080ti that I often end up playing on the gsync screen be because 1440p at variable refresh is far more smooth. I find adaptive sync to be the best tech I've ever used or on par with oled pixels.

So it seems I'm basically someone that's going to benefit most from what the c9 offers. Unfortunately selling a TV and a graphics card is a pain. As I'm going to have to downgrade to a 2070 which is the same cost as what I would make back from the 1080ti.

Considering my fun is had testing and playing games as immersive showcases. Do you think it's worth switching. I virtually never use it for films or TV. But I keep it protected by dark mode + no icons or taskbars and just being mindful of burning.

I enjoy my b8. But the stutter from no adaptive sync is something I notice on all games that are not retro at native res. The 40-58 range plus input lag improvements could be the best of both worlds .
post #7879 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
The other major issue with my b8 is that it's too dim. Just slightly.
post #7880 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
@Laupe

Change resolution to 1440p, keep pc mode enabled, put Nvidia (or amd) to limited (16-235) not full (0-255) and manually put on LG black to low, not auto. Does that fix it?
post #7881 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolfotregosa View Post
@Laupe

Change resolution to 1440p, keep pc mode enabled, put Nvidia (or amd) to limited (16-235) not full (0-255) and manually put on LG black to low, not auto. Does that fix it?
It happens on 1440p120 too. I think PC users should avoid RGB and force YCbCr444.

I tried the following setups in PC mode:
RGB Full with TV set to HDMI Black Full = Banding/Posturization
RGB Limited with TV set to HDMI Black Low = Banding/Posturization
YCbCr444 with TV set to HDMI Black Low = No Banding/Posturization and 4:4:4 is kept

This matches what others have reported with HDR games and PC Mode. HDR just makes it more noticeable but it's definitely happening in even 8bit SDR content. It takes certain, usually very dark, scenes to bring the issues out. I played ~8 games (52 hours over 2 weeks) on this set before realizing something wasn't right. I noticed it in a few games, but naturally blamed the games until I decided to do some tests. It's really bad in some dark horror games but basically unnoticeable in most games, and that's why I think many won't ever notice it.

My tests are the submarine ride at the very start of Bioshock 1 Remastered and some of the later dark levels in Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (which is the worst offender i've found). Its a night/day difference when it's working as intended in these. It ruined my Amnesia experience, as I thought the horrible posturization effect was just poor design choice, I was googling trying to find ways to get rid of it but no one had the same issue. Game looks great in YCbCr444....

Last edited by Laupe; 10-22-2019 at 04:03 AM.
post #7882 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Flicker problem LG C9

Hello everyone,

I have a question about LG C9. I have had this since July and experience problems with flickering of the image. It appears to be especially true with devices that are connected via HDMI. For example, when I watch a movie through my Himedia PRo Q5 media center, the image flickers in some colors. If I play the same movie with the C9 media player, I don't have this problem. I also have the same problems with the Xbox and TV provider box. But when I watch TV through the CI module, I don't have the problem again. Recently, the motherboard, panel and power supply have been replaced by LG. This has not solved the problem and they now say that it is a feature of the TV and can do nothing.

All image enhancers are off, including Oled Motion.

Does anyone experience the same problems? And how did he / she possibly solve it?
post #7883 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What AVR do you have?
I have the Denon X8500H but I don't believe the C9 knows which AVR I have. Maybe that's why I may need to do a factory reset?

lujan
581 Ultra HD
722 HD
4 SD
post #7884 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I have the Denon X8500H but I don't believe the C9 knows which AVR I have. Maybe that's why I may need to do a factory reset?

Do you want do factory reset in your Denon? Let us know how is going afterwards
post #7885 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
So pc mode on c9 is still a no-go due to banding issue? The reason I want to use pc mode is because then I can enjoy low input lag with other picture preset e.g. technicolor instead of game which is very inaccurate in colors according to flatpanels’s review

With the beta nvidia driver it kicks it into auto low latency mode which lets you select any picture preset with out being in PC mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 55C9, Samsung 55KS8000, Panasonic 50VT25
post #7886 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
PC Mode appears to be bugged on this set.

There is noticeable posturization and banding on PC mode in 8bit games in RGB Full. It took me some odd 60 hours to realize the problem but now I can't unsee it. I noticed it in a few darker titles, like Bioshock 1, Amnesia: Machine for Pigs, etc. Every time I slightly move the camera in a very dark scene things get slightly brighter and there is banding/posturization. It looks very unnatural. Disabling PC mode fixes this. This happens in all presets and does not happen on my E6 in PC mode.

If you have Bioshock 1, during the intro when you ride the elevator down and it's dark. Turn your lights off and look around while in PC mode. It'll be very noticeable, disable PC mode and it goes away.

If someone can confirm, I'd like to know somethings not off with my set. PC mode is basically usable now that I know it's causing this... I've seen it in 4 different games so far.
I noticed the same when watching movies and wondering about all the banding.

I use my C9 as a HTPC and second monitor and I've been simply using Game Mode, when I need to play games, and isf Expert (Dark Room) when watching stuff. In the Home Dashboard I've set the icon to "Home Theater".
post #7887 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papylon View Post
Do you want do factory reset in your Denon? Let us know how is going afterwards
I would rather do the factory reset of the LG first than on the Denon.

lujan
581 Ultra HD
722 HD
4 SD
post #7888 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I would rather do the factory reset of the LG first than on the Denon.

Ok let us known afterwards.
post #7889 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I messed around with HGIG for a little while on my PS4, and it just seems to set Dynamic Tone Mapping to off and that's about it. We probably won't know much about how it works until we get a confirmed list of games that work with it. Comparing the two, I prefer the settings I've had on my TV (which do include DTM set to on). It looks dimmer and I seem to lose some detail in dark areas when I set it to HGIG instead. I tested the feature mainly with Spider-Man and inFamous Second Son.

Oddly enough, I think I prefer HGIG on my Xbox One X, but I only tested it with one game on there so far, Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Philips BDP7502 UHD Bluray Player
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
post #7890 of 10338 Old 10-22-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
440.97 Game Ready Drivers are out.
Anyone tried running the tv at 1800p @ 120hz ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page