2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 271 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8569Likes

post #8101 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyH View Post
4K 120hz is impossible until nvidia release hdmi2.1 cards, or LG hack the tv like Samsung to do it.
4k 120 should technically be possible on 4:2:0 8bit (18 Gbps) with hdmi 2.0. Hopefully, we get some support for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Oh great another update that causes black to become grey. You know back in the day when I still owned the c8 I nearly went nuts trying to figure out why some scenes that are supposed to be completely black are instead grey. I thought what was the freaking point to buy an oled if it had this kind of issue.
post #8103 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard8times View Post
I got the latest LG update and I installed the Nvidia Beta drivers 440.52 I went to the nvidia control panel and enabled G-Sync played Gears5 and GTA V and G-Sync does not work I had my settings at 4k with V-Sync off and it was plenty of screen tearing don't believe these people claiming it works they're lying or placebo effect and I have a MSI Gaming X Trio 2080ti and a i9 9900k G-Sync didn't work which is probably why Nivida haven't release G-Sync support officially
Also it's pretty early days, as it hasn't even been officially released yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8104 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7522 Post(s)
Liked: 7556
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
The local electronics store has a new panel and is ready to replace mine. I’ll lose the calibration that I currently have tho. I think I’m leaning to have it replaced.
Would sure beat doing this down the road.........
post #8105 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lors View Post
Is there any way to get 5.1 Sound atm when connecting the PC directly to the C9 and using eARC?

Maybe with some extra device? For example a soundcard which somehow decodes PCM into some sort of DD+ 5.1 ? Sorry i have no clue about sound.
Multichannel eARC is supposed to come next year. Right now, connecting two HDMI cables from the card seems the only way to get multichannel PCM. That is, one to the TV directly and one to the receiver. That seems to work just fine.
post #8106 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
4K 120hz is impossible until nvidia release hdmi2.1 cards, or LG hack the tv like Samsung to do it.
You mean they want us to buy their new OLED tvs after CES in January?
post #8107 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So I just got my 77" C9 yesterday. I put it up on the wall and playing God of War I noticed some vertical banding. So I loaded up a grey screen and I can see 2 bars. Is this expected? Or should I try exchanging it. I took a quick picture, the bars kind of show up in the picture. They are just left of center...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV.png
Views:	110
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2631432  

Last edited by whoishomer; 10-24-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #8108 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I had a dead pixel with a vertical line appear twice on my calibrated C9. The second time it happened (lasted 3 weeks) an LG tech came out and determined I needed a new panel. In the week that it took to order a new panel the line and dead pixel disappeared!
Should I replace my panel even tho it appears normal or do I take a chance and keep it as is.
Appreciate any thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tough call, man. On an uncalibrated panel, it's a no-brainer -- you absolutely replace the panel. The chances of that problem coming back are almost certain. Things almost NEVER fix themselves.

In fact, the more that I think about it, I am pretty sure that is also the right answer on your calibrated panel. I'm of the opinion that it is not "if" the line returns. It's more of "when" the line returns.

But, I understand that you'd be throwing the $$$ for the calibration away, with no guarantee of a receiving a good panel.

This assumes that the LG tech is certain the problem is with the panel and not something else, like a cable, source component, etc.
helvetica bold likes this.

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #8109 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Soundbar reflection onto LG OLED

Hi all,

Just got the LG C9 OLED 55 inch. Very happy with the TV!

Then installed the LG SY8YG soundbar and sub.

The sound is great, but I am seeing the soundbar reflected on the TV.

It manifests as a strip that runs along the bottom of the screen. It's the soundbar being reflected, as when I take the soundbar away from the TV, the reflection bar disappears.

I think it's the light grey colour of the soundbar that's reflected whatever is on the TV.

Anyone else seeing this with the same set-up?

I'm thinking of raising the TV a couple of inches which might stop the reflection.

Thanks,
Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0939.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	582.3 KB
ID:	2631434  
post #8110 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
yeah i had the same thing.

I think our 2080ti's don't even need gsync.

But i also read you can enable g-sync from the windows display settings as well as the nvcpanel. try the windows setting. i uninstalled already, because my windowed games like path of exile were choppy as all hell, until i frame rate limited it to 57fps with rivatuner. Even then it wasn't as smooth as just plain old vsync.

Also the Nvidia Pendulum G-sync test demo, would probably be the best way to test.
GSYNC doesn't work with 2080Ti + Beta drivers for me either. Capping to 57 + GSYNC enabled = tearing. GSYNC + VSYNC in drivers resulted in no tearing, but microstuttering <60 FPS.

Either way, I went back to connecting via my receiver because it's a much simpler setup and makes switching between PC and non-PC inputs instant and simple. GSYNC doesn't really have any benefit if you are getting 60FPS , which the 2080Ti gets 99% of the time in basically every game @ 4K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jincuteguy View Post
You mean they want us to buy their new OLED tvs after CES in January?
No... you have to wait until they release HDMI 2.1 graphic cards. The display supports 4K120, your graphics card does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoishomer View Post
So I just got my 77" C9 yesterday. I put it up ad playing God of War I noticed some vertical banding. So I loaded up a grey screen and I can see 2 bars. Is this expected? Or should I try exchanging it. I got a quick picture, the bars kind of show up. The are just left of center...
Those seem like they would be extremely noticeable... Give it a week of cycles and if it doesn't disappear I would exchange. My 77" C9 has nothing remotely close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
Oh great another update that causes black to become grey. You know back in the day when I still owned the c8 I nearly went nuts trying to figure out why some scenes that are supposed to be completely black are instead grey. I thought what was the freaking point to buy an oled if it had this kind of issue.
Even high budget Hollywood movies are infamous for having incorrectly filmed/mastered dark scenes. I personally crush my blacks by 1% to help reduce it.. I find that's less noticeable. Elevated blacks drive me insane and can really ruin a scene IMO.

Last edited by Laupe; 10-24-2019 at 07:11 AM.
post #8111 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laupe View Post

Even high budget Hollywood movies are infamous for having incorrectly filmed/mastered dark scenes. I personally crush my blacks by 1% to help reduce it.. I find that's less noticeable. Elevated blacks drive me insane and can really ruin a scene IMO.
How do you crush your blacks?
post #8112 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

From my PC, via the Marantz 6013, the best I can achieve at 4k is 60hz @ 8bit YCbCr 4.2.0. (AMD GPU). To be able to get 4.4.4 at 4k I have to drop the refresh rate to 30hz or lower. Which is not good for desktop usage. In order to get 10bit colour I have to drop the resolution to 1080p.

If I try 1440p, it's still limited to 8bit but oddly I get the issue with Windows throwing up an active signal resolution (under 'Display Information') that is 4k but a desktop resolution that is 1440p. I'm wondering if this is because the Marantz HDMI inputs don't recognise native 1440p?

I.m sure I have read in earlier posts here that some can get 4k 60hz @ YCbCr 4.4.4. Since I can't, I'm wondering why not?
post #8113 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaBrain View Post
From my PC, via the Marantz 6013, the best I can achieve at 4k is 60hz @ 8bit YCbCr 4.2.0. (AMD GPU). To be able to get 4.4.4 at 4k I have to drop the refresh rate to 30hz or lower. Which is not good for desktop usage. In order to get 10bit colour I have to drop the resolution to 1080p.

If I try 1440p, it's still limited to 8bit but oddly I get the issue with Windows throwing up an active signal resolution (under 'Display Information') that is 4k but a desktop resolution that is 1440p. I'm wondering if this is because the Marantz HDMI inputs don't recognise native 1440p?

And I should have added here that as a result of this Windows desktop vs active signal resolution difference, that even at 1440p, I'm stuck at 4.2.0. Odd
post #8114 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 57
This thread is like a windows support forum now.
stevec325 and timkwong2 like this.
post #8115 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Can anyone recommend a really flush wall mount for the C9? I don't care about being able to do anything with it other than maybe tilt a bit to get my hand back there. The front door and hallway put you on a direct path with the side of the wall the TV will be mounted on so I want it as flush as possible. I will route everything through my receiver so there should only be one HDMI cable going to the TV.
post #8116 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post
You should be switching between "off" and "HGIG" not DTM and HGIG as there will always be a difference
I did. I tested all three and each of them looked different.
post #8117 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoCordial View Post
Hi all,

I’ve been searching for an answer to a problem I’m having with my 55 C9. I've found people having similar issues but no real answers and was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction.

Essentially, I seem to have pretty wild swings in audio sync between the various apps on the TV.

I have the audio outputting via ARC to my Yamaha RX-V383. I can get the sync right for something on Netflix or Airplay, but then when I switch to the other I have to adjust it, just thinking now that it may also have something to do with different audio formats from the different streams rather than the app specifically... I need to test that later when I am home.

Anyone else have/had the same issue? I have tried turning off TrueMotion and RealCinema as well as trying with and without eARC set, I have also changed the format from Auto to Passthrough. I am not using the lipsync option on my receiver as it doesn't appear to have anything other than manual delay configurable and so I am instead using the manual option on the TV itself.

Netflix seems to be OK with the LipSync setting to around 8 (what units is this setting changing in? 10ms increments maybe?) and another service I use called Stan here in Aus is better on 15...

Am I being to particular? Is this just a reality of streaming media? I did not notice this with my old Samsung KS8000 at all.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read or respond
Have you found a fix for the audio sync issue's yet? I have the same TV and receiver as you do and I also have issue's with the audio being out of sync, mostly with YouTube but I also noticed it's not exactly in sync on Amazon Prime either. Playing games on PS4 and Xbox don't have syncing issues, so it seems to be something with the built in apps.

I found a firmware update for the receiver that I need to try to see if it helps. I'm not getting my hopes up though, because last night I was playing YouTube from the built in app and switched to Internal TV speakers and the audio is still really delayed. That should entirely bypass the receiver, so I'm not sure what is going on. It really sucks because I love the TV but hate the audio syncing issue's.
post #8118 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
As far as I know, the problem with the messed up blacks are caused by the latest nvidia drivers and not by the latest tv update. Blacks are still correct on consoles and in the native youtube app.
post #8119 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:

I.m sure I have read in earlier posts here that some can get 4k 60hz @ YCbCr 4.4.4. Since I can't, I'm wondering why not?
I get 4k 66hz @ YCbCr 4.4.4 via my Denon X7200WA. Seems like your receiver isn't great for PC usage. Try direct connection and see if it works as intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
It's the first GSYNC OLED 4K120hz display. PC Gamers are going to flock, it's only going to get more and more gaming focused I think. Its bar none the best gaming display on the market in my opinion, and the 55" isn't much more than the best gaming monitors which still have far inferior PQ.

Last edited by Laupe; 10-24-2019 at 08:35 AM.
post #8120 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoishomer View Post
So I just got my 77" C9 yesterday. I put it up on the wall and playing God of War I noticed some vertical banding. So I loaded up a grey screen and I can see 2 bars. Is this expected? Or should I try exchanging it. I took a quick picture, the bars kind of show up in the picture. They are just left of center...
what percentage is that? 20 percent grey?
post #8121 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriouser View Post
Multichannel eARC is supposed to come next year. Right now, connecting two HDMI cables from the card seems the only way to get multichannel PCM. That is, one to the TV directly and one to the receiver. That seems to work just fine.
Too bad that my Gainward 2080ti has just one HDMI port, like most of the cards. So now there is nothing i can do except waiting?
post #8122 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Too bad that my Gainward 2080ti has just one HDMI port, like most of the cards. So now there is nothing i can do except waiting?
I'm pretty sure DisplayPort and USB-C would work as well, if you've got them and I think you do.
civlcivl388a likes this.
post #8123 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
You use onboard HDMI to receiver (for sound only) and GPU HDMI to TV. Then you set it up as 2 monitors as extended in windows. It's either that or don't use VRR/GSYNC and go through a receiver.

Sadly, that's our only options until HDMI 2.1 receivers come out. Hopefully they put 2x HDMI 2.1 on the 3080Ti.

Last edited by Laupe; 10-24-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #8124 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
You can do as many of us have done buy a cheap DP to HDMI adapter, even 1.4 works, and then send a second 1080p signal to the receiver as a second monitor, capable of receiving a 7.1 (and ATMOS) LPCM signal, and connect the 2080 directly to the TV. It's the best way as VRR/4K120Hz receivers will be stupidly expensive the next years
Tygeezy likes this.
post #8125 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Damn, feeling so stupid, have not thought about using my motherboard HDMI port. LOL. Thx guys.
Tygeezy likes this.

LG65C9 - i7-6700K/2080ti - PS4 Pro
post #8126 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laupe View Post
I get 4k 66hz @ YCbCr 4.4.4 via my Denon X7200WA. Seems like your receiver isn't great for PC usage. Try direct connection and see if it works as intended.

It's the first GSYNC OLED 4K120hz display. PC Gamers are going to flock, it's only going to get more and more gaming focused I think. Its bar none the best gaming display on the market in my opinion, and the 55" isn't much more than the best gaming monitors which still have far inferior PQ.

Done that, cabled direct and it remains the same, so now I am considering it's perhaps one of the following that is the issue.

1] AMD drivers (since most here are talking Nvidia cards it seems)

2] Length of HDMI cable run, which is from the PC to the C9, 15m, causing the pixel format to drop to 4.2.0

checking with a shorter run of cable is not easy, as the PC is wired up to loads of other stuff in a dedicated room away from the room the C9 is in...hmmm.

Also, even when cabled direct, when trying to set the desktop to 1440p, the 'active signal resolution' in windows still comes out at 4k (so obviously the Marantz is not responsible for that desktop and active signal res difference showing up in Windows)
post #8127 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabois09 View Post
What would lead you to believe that 4k 120hz isn't capable on a set that supports HDMI 2.1?

Well within spec so no reason for it not to. To continually post about your long returned set just because you bought it knowing there's no HDMI 2.1 sources out yet is kind of silly.
I bought it with the hopes that 4K/120hz @ 4:2:0 would become a thing in 2019 as it is on the Samsung. Doesn't seem to be likely, hence returned it before I was "stuck" with it. I only picked it up in an attempt to have 4K/120hz immediately in 2019. I'm sorry that bothers some people. I don't need to excuse myself for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard8times View Post
You need a source that support HDMI 2.1 genius you should've already known this but once the 3000 series Nvidia cards drop they'll be HDMI 2.1 next time educate yourself google is your friend

You seem like a very pleasant individual! Hope your day gets better.
post #8128 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Done that, cabled direct and it remains the same, so now I am considering it's perhaps one of the following that is the issue.

1] AMD drivers (since most here are talking Nvidia cards it seems)

2] Length of HDMI cable run, which is from the PC to the C9, 15m, causing the pixel format to drop to 4.2.0

checking with a shorter run of cable is not easy, as the PC is wired up to loads of other stuff in a dedicated room away from the room the C9 is in...hmmm.

Also, even when cabled direct, when trying to set the desktop to 1440p, the 'active signal resolution' in windows still comes out at 4k (so obviously the Marantz is not responsible for that desktop and active signal res difference showing up in Windows)
Just to let you know, it only works with Nvidia. It was made just for Nvidia.

Amd will not work unless software and driver's are made for their cards.

TV - LG C9, C8 & C6 - AVR - Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #8129 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
It is really getting out of control. Something has to be done.

I have been politely requesting the Mods to get the gaming posts out of this thread and into a dedicated thread for "Gaming On The C-E9". They are going largely unanswered.

Perhaps if enough people would also do the same, we can get thread back on topic. Just click on REPORT for every gaming post and ask them to create another thread, move all of the gaming conversations there and (most importantly) make this thread a NO GAMING TALK ALLOWED.

If enough people request that, hopefully we can make it happen.
HiFi4Vision likes this.

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #8130 of 14916 Old 10-24-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonastaghizadeh View Post
what percentage is that? 20 percent grey?
Yes that was at 20%
I am going to run some more percentages tonight and see how the rest look as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , directional hdmi , hdmi , lg c9 , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , lgoled , Marantz , oled , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels , soundbar advice , sr5012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page