2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8585Likes

post #841 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 108
The question of how much BFI is improved in the C9 over the C8 can be easily answered by @VindicatorDX , @SydneyC9owner , or anyone that has a PC/MAC, and would be willing to connect the TV to their PC graphics card with an HDMI cable and display this test page from Blur Busters in a web browser on their TVs. The goal is to try different scrolling speeds and see which is the fastest speed at which all the street names can be read (even the small font ones, not only those using a large font). The map scrolling speed can be changed from a combo-box on the page. Clicking on the expanding arrows button will enlarge the screen area taken by the map display, to make things easier. The test must be carried out when the browser shows READY, which means the refresh rate is in sync, and there is no stutter.

I've already posted my results on the Sony 55HX850, and the LG 65C7 and 65C8 that I owned, when using a 1080p display resolution. But here they are tabulated again:
- 55HX850 [email protected] with Clear or Clear Plus mode: up to 1200 px /second
- 65C7 [email protected] (TV has no BFI capability): 120 px / second
- 65C8 [email protected] with BFI on: 240 px / second (at 360 px /second some text like SkyWalk becomes hard to distinguish - you can read it only if you know this is what's written there)
- 65C8 [email protected] (no BFI capability with 120Hz refresh rate): 240 px /second (at 360 px /second some text like SkyWalk becomes hard to distinguish)

(I redid the tests, and lowered the values since I found there are some street names I can't read at the speeds in my previous post, if I would see them for the first time and would not know what they are)

@Micolash also tried it on his A9F, but I think he did not look for the fastest speed he could read all street names, only the last speed he could see some letters.
(and yes, it gets harder on the eyes as the speed is faster, but the head hurt is significantly less with a good motion interpolation + BFI implementation like on the HX850; that's a benefit that improved motion resolution brings that you don't know about until you experience it)

The result of a test like this makes it clearer what the TV capabilities are in relation to other TVs.

What "good motion resolution" is, is different between people as we can see on this forum. Comparing one's subjective evaluation of the motion resolution to someone else's evaluation is meaningless, as you don't know what their definition of "good" is. A number you get from a test that can be compared to other numbers resulting from the same test is a better choice.
fafrd, Redmist, Sorax and 2 others like this.

Last edited by stama; 04-13-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic_Gamer View Post
Just talked to a LG representative about the Advanced BFI low, medium and high @120 hz feature. He told me the feature is still coming in a future FW update. According to him the feature was removed due to a small engineering problem (as many of you might already know). Also according to his internal documents LG is aware of consumer complaints and is working around the clock to implement the feature asap on all 2019 OLED models. Tried to pressure him on the FW release date but he couldn’t give me an ETA. Talked to 2 different representatives to double check on the info, got the same answers both times. They both seem pretty knowledgeable and knew right way what I was talking about.
This would be really good news but... how was it sourced? You say you talked to a LG representative but what's the context? What was this representative's role?
I most definitely want to believe but help us out in understanding how credible this could be.
For now... a flicker of hope (bad pun intended).
helvetica bold likes this.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #843 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7526 Post(s)
Liked: 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Folks, I don't mean to be rude but all the questions you are asking have already been answered many times. You just need to scan the thread. There is really excellent information answered by actual owners and professional calibrators who have spent a lot of time testing and giving opinions.

On the panels, how could the production C8's and C9's possibly use the C7 panel?????
They never updated the panels for the 77", so per say they are using C7 panels. I would not say it that way though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
It depends what panel it uses. The 77C8 used the C7 panel which I'm not interested in. If the 77C9 still uses the 7 panel I likely won't upgrade to it this year.
Not using the C7 panel per say, not using an updated panel like the smaller units would be a better way to say it. 77 C9 are not even out so anyone saying anything about them is a pure guess, so we will see whats what when they hit the streets as you noted

@D-Nice hopefully you will get a chance to look at the 77" pixel structure with that cool tool you bought
Ruppgu likes this.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 04-13-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
BFI Blurbuster tests

@stama You got it! So this is going to be part awesome and part disappointing, mostly depending on your use case.

So prior to this map street name test you requested, I noticed that when I was in 120hz doing the UFO test, the 120hz UFO and the 60hz UFO looked identical when BFI was turned on. This means instead of 120 black frames being inserted in between the 120 frames thrown at the TV through the HDMI cable, instead, the TV darkens 60 of the video signal's 120 frames. That's the disappointing part. After doing your request, it became apparent that, unfortunately, there is literally no distinguishable benefit from BFI if you're running a 120hz signal.

The good news however is two-fold.
First: Console gamers and 60hz PC gamers rejoice! You're getting a true 120hz equivalent of motion handling when maintaining 60 frames a second into the TV!

Second: Compared to the TV's listed above, the C9 easily wins. I'll explain exactly what I see next at different pixel rates.

Like I mentioned before, 60hz BFI and 120hz look identical for motion handling. This results in both of them having no blur whatsoever at 240px/sec.
Now, I'm sitting right in front of the TV, not at a distance, but I can easily read at 360px / sec. There is some fuzzyness though, as expected.
480px a second I can still read new roads I haven't read before, but there is absolutely some significant fuzzyness at this point. One or two roads are really tough to read, looking closely again.
600px a second, can still read most roads, but it's tough.
720px a second, most things are tough to make out, still possible here and there.
840px a second, really tough to make out
960px a second, nearing impossible to make out comfortably but still possible. Absolutely not possible at 60hz without BFI.

Just to make sure I was absolutely certain I could say 60hz BFI and 120hz look identical for motion handling, I looked at them both with 960px/sec just to be sure. They look totally identical. When turning on BFI for 120hz, the screen gets darker and literally does nothing else. If I saw someone say this on a forum, I'd call them crazy, or poor eyesight, but it does absolutely nothing folks, but the 60hz BFI is fanfreakingtastic!
fafrd, Redmist, stama and 1 others like this.
post #845 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by VindicatorDX View Post
@stama You got it! So this is going to be part awesome and part disappointing, mostly depending on your use case.

So prior to this map street name test you requested, I noticed that when I was in 120hz doing the UFO test, the 120hz UFO and the 60hz UFO looked identical when BFI was turned on. This means instead of 120 black frames being inserted in between the 120 frames thrown at the TV through the HDMI cable, instead, the TV darkens 60 of the video signal's 120 frames. That's the disappointing part. After doing your request, it became apparent that, unfortunately, there is literally no distinguishable benefit from BFI if you're running a 120hz signal.

The good news however is two-fold.
First: Console gamers and 60hz PC gamers rejoice! You're getting a true 120hz equivalent of motion handling when maintaining 60 frames a second into the TV!

Second: Compared to the TV's listed above, the C9 easily wins. I'll explain exactly what I see next at different pixel rates.

Like I mentioned before, 60hz BFI and 120hz look identical for motion handling. This results in both of them having no blur whatsoever at 240px/sec.
Now, I'm sitting right in front of the TV, not at a distance, but I can easily read at 360px / sec. There is some fuzzyness though, as expected.
480px a second I can still read new roads I haven't read before, but there is absolutely some significant fuzzyness at this point. One or two roads are really tough to read, looking closely again.
600px a second, can still read most roads, but it's tough.
720px a second, most things are tough to make out, still possible here and there.
840px a second, really tough to make out
960px a second, nearing impossible to make out comfortably but still possible. Absolutely not possible at 60hz without BFI.

Just to make sure I was absolutely certain I could say 60hz BFI and 120hz look identical for motion handling, I looked at them both with 960px/sec just to be sure. They look totally identical. When turning on BFI for 120hz, the screen gets darker and literally does nothing else. If I saw someone say this on a forum, I'd call them crazy, or poor eyesight, but it does absolutely nothing folks, but the 60hz BFI is fanfreakingtastic!
So you’re saying for a console like Xbox one x, you can either do 120hz output as lower resolution (i think Xbox maxes out at 1080p or something) OR do regular output at 60hz and turn on BFI? I don’t think option 2 is that great because the BFI dims the screen too much.
post #846 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
So you’re saying for a console like Xbox one x, you can either do 120hz output as lower resolution (i think Xbox maxes out at 1080p or something) OR do regular output at 60hz and turn on BFI? I don’t think option 2 is that great because the BFI dims the screen too much.
Xbox one X, since november 2018, allows for 1440P 120hz as well. The problem is knowing which freaking games even take advantage of this successfully.

So what I'm saying is that you'll always get the extra responsiveness when games surpass 60hz if you're running in 120hz mode, but as far as motion blur specifically is concerned, 60hz BFI will look identical to 120hz with or without BFI.

BFI reduces brightness by 20% or so, but I have absolutely no problem with that myself. TBH, for me it's preferred because I turn the OLED light down more than this to be comfortable in a dark room.

The picture settings are able to be tweaked to achieve the desired gradients in the xbox screen setup or whichever device anyone uses, so I don't perceive anything here as a loss of color accuracy.

As stated earlier, BFI technology is never going to maintain non-BFI brightness levels. In general, based on my experience with PC monitors and researching BFI, the darker your screen gets with BFI, the more effective the motion reduction of it is. This is unavoidable as it is absolutely necessary to successfully eliminate persistence.
JD23 and JPbuckwalter like this.
post #847 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 34
How good is the mcfi? The Part where c8 lacked the most
post #848 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 09:45 AM

MCFI / Motion interpolation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamad138 View Post
How good is the mcfi? The Part where c8 lacked the most
Primarily being a gamer I don't touch it these days. I'll poke around with it sometime, but this is something that can take months of using to fully be able to come to a conclusion about because there are always edge cases that screw up every interpolation technology I've laid eyes on. The best implementations of interpolation seem to just take longer to discover the rarer scenarios that it messes up on.

I feel like it's nearly pointless to include this due to my limited experience with it, but before I turned interpolation off, I saw one netflix preview that looked phenomenal with it, and I played a game for <1 min before shutting it off due to it being immediately apparent it was on for the game's HDMI input because it misjudged what to do with a ground texture completely and made horrible artifacting. Did I just get really unlucky or is this the norm? I expect I got fairly unlucky because my 2016 OLED didn't do stuff that poorly very often.
Redmist likes this.
post #849 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 5255 Post(s)
Liked: 6457
Now that I've calibrated a couple of production C9s I agree with D-Nice, the color accuracy is really good and the best I've seen from LG. The new HDR calibration is awesome.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #850 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
New user here, just upgraded from 2016 OLED to the C9 and wanted to share my experience so far and clear up some misinformation I've seen online.

Starting with XBOX One X, I've read that HDR10 and the VRR of the C9 are not supported, and this is false. I understand why the people who posted this thought that because if you have ALLM enabled, the XBOX reports the TV as not supporting some features, likely to ever so slightly enhance the latency, but if you turn off ALLM and manually turn on game mode, literally every single one of the dozen or so features the XBOX looks for get's a check mark as being supported.

Regarding BFI, I've seen some complaints about darkness levels being imposed when using BFI. This will unfortunately never go away because that's how BFI works. On monitors that allow you to change the brightness of the inserted frames, darker equals more reduction in motion blur, which is the whole point. The brighter it is, the less potent the reduction in motion blur.

On my 2016 OLED I couldn't play anything fast paced without frustration due to the input lag. Those frustrations are completely gone now and I'm completely satisfied with the response time now, which is equally fantastic with or without HDR enabled! I'm also thoroughly satisfied in comparison to my 240hz monitor I've been using the past year. That the responsiveness of the OLED tech showing I expect.

If anyone has questions that remain unanswered, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them if I can. I don't have a device to test the response time in milliseconds however. I will say that the latency of the 2016 I have was rated at 27ms and I can't fathom that what I am currently experiencing is only an improvement to ~20ms so ~13ms is likely what it's successfully achieving, as claimed.

Hope this info helps some of you!

Hi VindicatorDX. I have also done extensive tests and everything works fine IF you also have the option YCC 4.2.2 enabled on the xbox one x video settings. You can test by yourself what the issue is and report back: pick a game with HDR (Horizon 4 for example), make sure you have HDR and instant game response enabled on the TV (you should see both the HDR logo and a message "instant game response is switched on" on the TV when you launch the game) and then if you have all the xbox video option checked EXCEPT for YCC 4.2.2 you will see that the game stutters badly every second. This is all at 4k resolution of course. The conclusion seems to be that the xbox HDMI port is not ready for 4.4.4 HDR 10-bit 4K and fps>30 (I think fps>30 is expected with game mode on and VRR) since the required bandwidth is >18Gbps which is the limit for HDMI 2.0b. The solution is to leave 4.2.2 checked as well to keep the bandwidth within HDMI 2.0b specs. xbox one x has few features of hdmi 2.1, like vrr and allm, but does not have the required hardware to support a link with 2.1 datarates it seems.
By the way, the only way to be able to check the VRR option is to have the TV with instant game response switched on (if you don't, that option on the xbox is grayed out).

Please try this out and report back if you can. Please make sure you restart the game after you changed the video setting to make sure they are effective.
post #851 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1985 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Quote:
Now that I've calibrated a couple of production C9s I agree with D-Nice, the color accuracy is really good and the best I've seen from LG. The new HDR calibration is awesome.
John is CalMAN 2019 out, meaning can you do the 1000, 4000 and 10,000 nit calibration? Also did you try the new firmware update?
post #852 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone tested game mode input lag with the new firmware?
post #853 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 108
@VindicatorDX , many thanks to you for carrying out these tests!

And I don't mean that lightly, you don't know how hard it is to find someone to do any kind of tests and report back, even when they have reference equipment that could answer a question quickly, instead of letting a thread go on with lots of people wandering around with nothing more than their gut feelings.

Once more, big thanks to you, sir!

Regarding the "60Hz with BFI" vs "120Hz with no BFI", I agree, there is no difference in the perception of motion between them on the C8 as well. This is one of the reasons why I let my TV use [email protected] when connected to my HTPC instead of bothering with anything else. Not only is this the best in terms of motion clarity for PC generated content (which is generated at really 120Hz), but you also get no judder/stutter when viewing pretty much any kind of video material, as 120Hz is either the exact multiple or close enough to the most common frame rates used in film and video (23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 60 fps), so the video renderer in a media player doesn't have to repeat a frame more often than others and cause perceptible stutter.

And about MCFI - yes, artifacts with it enabled do happen in the previous LGs I had, the C7 and C8. You are right, everything seems fine and then suddenly something happens and you notice it: either a visual glitch or a sudden stutter. LG is simply still not at the level of Sony in this regard.
anwsmh likes this.

Last edited by stama; 04-13-2019 at 12:52 PM.
post #854 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
This would be really good news but... how was it sourced? You say you talked to a LG representative but what's the context? What was this representative's role?
I most definitely want to believe but help us out in understanding how credible this could be.
For now... a flicker of hope (bad pun intended).

He was with costumer service. He told me he spoke to a LG engineer before answering my specific question. He also said he had internal documents about the “BFI issue” with the 2019 oleds. I should be getting an email he requested from the engineering department by Monday, detailing what’s going on and when we should expect said BFI FW update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
venus933 likes this.
post #855 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I updated to 03.50.31. If I notice anything I’ll report. So far it was very easy to update by USB.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #856 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 522
@VindicatorDX I don't suppose you own a semi-modern AMD GPU (whether discrete or integrated, Xbox doesn't count ) and can check with CRU - Custom Resolution Utility just what the freesync range on the TV is?

Also there's earlier posts that the TV supposedly can handle 3840x2160 120Hz 8bit 4:2:0 without issue (which HDMI 2.0 has just enough bandwidth to manage), and checking the freesync capability and range in that mode as well would be great (in order to not get a black screen you'll likely need to set 4:2:0 chroma and 8bit depth first, then change the resolution and/or refresh rate).

...and heck, I don't suppose one can similarly use CRU to increase the freesync range even farther than whatever its maximum is? (you'd need to make sure it's not introducing any dropped frames and the like though)

EDIT: You know, I wonder if the Xbox One X can also be configured to output at 3840x2160 120Hz 8bit 4:2:0... (I do not own nor know anybody with an Xbox One X)

Someone should really try that out and see if it works with freesync and heck even with HDR or the like (8bit HDR may be less than ideal though...you might be able to enable 10bit if the Xbox lets you select a lower refresh rate like 85Hz, 90Hz, 96Hz, or 100Hz).

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 04-13-2019 at 03:14 PM.
post #857 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonestl View Post
I joined the OLED club. I picked up a 55" C9 at my local Best Buy last night. I went ahead and purchased the warranty too. My second 4K, first OLED. I am coming from a 2014 series Samsung 4K LED TV. Looking forward to playing with it over the weekend. &#x1f601;
Here's a tip. Enjoy the heck of the your new OLED. It's easy to get wrapped around the axle looking for imperfections but my B7 is stellar. Had Netflix's "Our Planet" on the other night and you'll see why you bought this TV.

Enjoy!
Exactly what I'm doing! So far I'm loving it. I watched a couple hockey games. I saw no noticeable vertical banding, which is great! My Samsung before had the vertical banding which I could always see watching hockey. No dead pixels. I'm happy with it. I'm enjoying it right now, I don't think I want to spoil it by looking for problems right now. I see no issues with my regular viewing so far.
post #858 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I downloaded the new update and I don’t notice any difference in the blacks on Netflix DV. Still having to drop down to 46-47 to achieve true black comparable to my C8 at 50. Slightly disappointed.

post #859 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 5255 Post(s)
Liked: 6457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1746 View Post
I downloaded the new update and I don’t notice any difference in the blacks on Netflix DV. Still having to drop down to 46-47 to achieve true black comparable to my C8 at 50. Slightly disappointed.

Are you using dv cinema home or dv cinema or your test? DV cinema is the accurate PM. I calibrated it today and the blacks are perfect. With DV cinema home you might see elevated blacks.
helvetica bold and Fiction like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #860 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My new C9 has EARC. The Onkyo receiver I'm getting does as well. The receiver does not support other HDMI 2.1 features. Would my best option be too run the Xbox One X directly to the TV, and another cable from my receiver to my TV using the ERAC HDMI port on my TV? Then would the receiver get the HD audio formats from my Xbox through ERAC? Just trying to figure out my final setup. Thanks!
post #861 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would my best option be too run the Xbox One X directly to the TV, and another cable from my receiver to my TV using the ERAC HDMI port on my TV?
Keep in mind that, depending on your receiver, going this route may be the only way to use your Xbox One X's variable refresh/freesync and/or 120Hz output functionality.

(as I mentioned above, it theoretically might even be possible to output at 4k 120Hz on the Xbox One X if you first set it to also output at 8bit and 4:2:0; you might also be able to get it at 10bit if the Xbox lets you output at a refresh rate between 60Hz and 120Hz - it'd be great if someone could confirm/refute these things!)
post #862 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
My new C9 has EARC. The Onkyo receiver I'm getting does as well. The receiver does not support other HDMI 2.1 features. Would my best option be too run the Xbox One X directly to the TV, and another cable from my receiver to my TV using the ERAC HDMI port on my TV? Then would the receiver get the HD audio formats from my Xbox through ERAC? Just trying to figure out my final setup. Thanks!
Yeah, I usually only do video through my receiver in the first place if it's absolutely necessary. Unless you've got some fancy upscaler in your receiver for old content nothing good comes to mind as a benefit other than cable management. I read EARC is amazing, though my aging receiver doesn't support it
post #863 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Are you using dv cinema home or dv cinema or your test? DV cinema is the accurate PM. I calibrated it today and the blacks are perfect. With DV cinema home you might see elevated blacks.

I’m using home still. On cinema blacks look slightly elevated to me, dropping down to 49 makes them look perfect. On my c8 there was no difference in the black level between cinema and cinema home. Maybe a bit more has changed this year than we thought.

post #864 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

I’m using home still. On cinema blacks look slightly elevated to me, dropping down to 49 makes them look perfect. On my c8 there was no difference in the black level between cinema and cinema home. Maybe a bit more has changed this year than we thought.

Nobody else complaining about it. Each panel is different. One of mine was 52 and another was 49-50 in the past so.
post #865 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sabrina season 2 is a really dark show on Netflix. I forgot if you mentioned that you watch it but it’s a great HDR test. Anyway w/ DV “Cinema” Sabrina looks fantastic. Seems like the “Home” destination now mean brighter.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #866 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 08:57 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Quote:

I have the exact same experience as you. I have to lower brightness to at least 48 in cinema home and to 49 in cinema to get true blacks while watching DV content streamed.
ma1746 likes this.
post #867 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoManiac64 View Post
@VindicatorDX I don't suppose you own a semi-modern AMD GPU (whether discrete or integrated, Xbox doesn't count ) and can check with CRU - Custom Resolution Utility just what the freesync range on the TV is?

Also there's earlier posts that the TV supposedly can handle 3840x2160 120Hz 8bit 4:2:0 without issue (which HDMI 2.0 has just enough bandwidth to manage), and checking the freesync capability and range in that mode as well would be great (in order to not get a black screen you'll likely need to set 4:2:0 chroma and 8bit depth first, then change the resolution and/or refresh rate).

...and heck, I don't suppose one can similarly use CRU to increase the freesync range even farther than whatever its maximum is? (you'd need to make sure it's not introducing any dropped frames and the like though)

EDIT: You know, I wonder if the Xbox One X can also be configured to output at 3840x2160 120Hz 8bit 4:2:0... (I do not own nor know anybody with an Xbox One X)

Someone should really try that out and see if it works with freesync and heck even with HDR or the like (8bit HDR may be less than ideal though...you might be able to enable 10bit if the Xbox lets you select a lower refresh rate like 85Hz, 90Hz, 96Hz, or 100Hz).
I've got a couple old 6870s lying around, nothing AMD since then.

AMD is in Xbox One X and it states it supports freesync 2 displays, and I've been using it there. I rented division 2 because I read somewhere that it supports 120hz but it doesn't hardly ever get to 60. Just eyeballing it I'm fairly certain I've been down in the 30's at least and don't see screen tearing. Wouldn't be surprised if I had got to the 20's but can't say for sure.

I've been unsuccessful trying to get 4k 120hz over HDMI 2.0b on my PC's Geforce 1080ti. Been messing trying to figure it out for a while today. The choice for 120hz doesn't appear, which is understandable in 4:4:4, but it's also gone when in 4:2:0 mode. I've also tried making a custom resolution, and when I click test it just says no signal. Not sure what the deal is tbh.
post #868 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've got a couple old 6870s lying around
Hey that's better than me - the newest GPU I own period (outside of the integrated graphics on a Haswell Pentium and an AMD E-350) is an HD5870.

Quote:
nothing AMD since then.
Not even a fancy Ryzen APU or the like?

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 04-13-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: because
post #869 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 10:23 PM

Nope, maybe one day though. Built a friend a Ryzen PC at one point though.
post #870 of 14957 Old 04-13-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Forgot to mention, and while I did edit it in after-the-fact it's possible that you missed it, so here it is moved to a separate post...

Quote:
I've also tried making a custom resolution, and when I click test it just says no signal.
Did you switch your video mode to 4:2:0 before attempting to change to the custom resolution?

Quote:
Built a friend a Ryzen PC at one point though.
Keep in mind that only Ryzen CPU models with a "G" in their name have integrated graphics.

Last edited by NintendoManiac64; 04-13-2019 at 10:27 PM. Reason: because
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , directional hdmi , hdmi , lg c9 , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , lgoled , Marantz , oled , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels , soundbar advice , sr5012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page