2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 295 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7818Likes

post #8821 of 13452 Old 11-03-2019, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygeezy View Post
Did this also fix the black levels in hdr games?
I don't really do any testing, I'll let other more knowledgeable people work it out.

Honestly getting the TV to work perfectly across all forms of media is probably going to be impossible, so i don't bother.

Between Windows, Nvidia, LG, MadVR, LAV, Game Companies, TV Show/Movie Creators and encoders/decoders.... Getting them all on the same page is laughable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 13452 Old 11-03-2019, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Yeah, 1440 p is kind of a bastard child resolution as far as hdmi is concerned. I get the feeling a lot of these problems will go away when we get hdmi 2.1 graphic cards and we can just set the c9 to 4K 120 hz 10 bit rgb and then just down sample using resolution scale for performance in games.

Agreed in regards to HDMI 2.1 graphic cards making things a lot better.

I can't really complain as I already had my OLED coming my way before the news about Gsync compatibility came out. It's just icing on the cake at this point for a fantastic television.
Tygeezy and jymig like this.
post #8823 of 13452 Old 11-03-2019, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Personally I would use Cinema for HDR if you have and Xbox X because it’s supports ALLM.
I want to wait and see what exactly is going on with HGiG. No harm in using tho.
Agreed. I'm also using an XB1X with ALLM on Cinema for HDR (professionally calibrated).

Even though no games support HGIG (yet), it is a bummer that it is only an option in the "Game" picture mode. It should be available in all picture modes for those using ALLM/IGR.
jymig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8824 of 13452 Old 11-03-2019, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lors View Post
Can someone pls test if you can disable instant game response mode while having gsync enabled? I wanted to test this, but i'm not at home anymore.

Would explain why my C9 always looses the signal when i deactivate instant game mode.

Reason for disabeling it is you can't use the smooth gradation settings while instant game mode is on. Would like to test this settings for ghost recon breakpoint, because this game has again serious colorbanding issues like wildlands. And HDR makes it even worse.

As someone else already pointed out, IGR is required for VRR. I used to have smooth gradation enabled before, but G-Sync is such a game-changer that it's worth the trade-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I have my XB1X connected directly to my C9. Since the C9 can’t pass uncompressed 5.1 PCM is bitstream the best option?
My Sony 1070 receiver doesn’t support eARC.

My receiver also doesn't support eARC, and regular ARC had audio delay issues, so I just connected a digital optical audio cable directly from the Xbox to the AVR.

You don't get lossless HD audio that way, but most games don't support those (a handful support Atmos, but I'm not sure if it's really the lossless Atmos or the lossy one), so it's not a big deal, to me.

Quote:
Make sure sure you’re hdmi black levels match what is selected in the Nvidia drivers (limited- low, full-high) also make sure you have rgb 8 bit selected.

https://youtu.be/lAd9rOCsMmo

Yeah, it's a driver issue, as the author of that video confirmed. The only workaround is adjusting brightness levels, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelrode View Post
Some notes on my PC gaming settings on FW 04.70.12 and Nvidia Driver 441.08 for HDR gaming. I had a 55C7P for a few years before I changed to 65C9P, so I have done a lot of gaming on LG OLEDs.

NVCP set to 422 / 10-Bit / Limited. Running everything at [email protected] - 1440p is snappier but since I don't play competitively, I prefer the IQ at native resolution. Tried just leaving at RGB /8-Bit/Full but would get mismatched black levels in some games like AC:Odyssey.

TV Brightness at 47 and Nvidia color setting at 52 to mitigate raised black level. Next notch on slider is 55, but I prefer slight crushing of blacks as opposed to them being elevated.

Input set to Console/Game mode - this eliminates nearly all of the banding that is on PC Input mode.

GSync for window/full screen and Vsync on in control panel - off in all games. Use in game limiters at 57 where its an option like Borderlands 3 and COD:Modern Warfare. (55 for AC:Odyssey). For games with no frame limiters I use RTSS set at 57, not as good as in-game limiter but better than setting with Nvidia Inspector tool.

Dynamic Tone Mapping set to HGIG for future support - basically off for most games. I can see the appeal of having it on for a lot of games, but it makes night and indoor scenes way too bright for my liking. Since I am using Console input mode I can use Dynamic Contrast to make slight to modest lighting changes on games.

For SDR gaming I set to RGB/8-Bit/Full and just disable the HDR mode in display settings. I keep my black level settings the same as HDR.

The oval shape people report is a side effect of game mode as I see it on Xbox (Console Input) as well as PC (PC Input). I barely notice it if I have OLED light at 65 or higher on SDR. I never see it on HDR mode - might be because OLED light is at 100.

I use pretty much the same settings, except I don't bother changing color format/depth, anymore, and just leave it at YCbCr422/12bpc for both SDR and HDR content. Do you see any difference from RGB/8bpc/full? HDR needs at least 10-bit to be displayed correctly, so that's probably what you saw with AC in RGB/8bpc.

I'm also not a fan of Dynamic Contrast, and prefer DTM. Oh, and you can gain a few FPS in G-Sync if you add a custom resolution with a higher refresh rate, such as 66Hz, using CRU. I've posted the instructions a few pages back.

Lastly, I only noticed the oval shape bug when playing Xbox. Even PC with input set to "Game Console" and the same picture mode/settings doesn't have the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepo View Post
Just a quick update: setting it to RGB 8-bit didn't fix it. It was just me being stupid and not realizing it set dynamic range to Full even in HDR (which is set to Black Level Low), so it was actually crushing blacks.

The only thing that fixes the black levels in HDR at tv brightness 50 in any driver after 436.51 for me is running at 2160p and setting the color settings to 4:2:0 12-bit. The problem with that is that I mainly game at [email protected] after the Gsync update, and that res doesn't support 4:2:0.

That (ugly) video of mine actually makes the problem seem a bit worse than it actually is, but it's definitely a problem.

I'm going to try the suggested brightness at 47 and Nvidia color setting at 52. Thanks for the great suggested settings post you made earlier, @Mabelrode !

YCbCr420 hasn't an option here since the G-Sync drivers, regardless of resolution, refresh rate, input and picture modes. Not sure why.

Quote:
Has anybody tried turning gsync off to see if that has an effect on black levels? These issues with black levels have only come up since the release of drivers that support hdmi 2.1 vrr.

The issue occurs regardless of G-Sync. It's really related to the driver itself, and not just to some specific setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyH View Post
I turned gsync off, because i'm sure it's stuffing around with MADVR movie framerates.

I mean if you turn on gsync and set the framerate limit in rivatuner to 57 globally, I'm positive its introduces stutter when watching movies in Potplayer.

The whole thing is a mess, can't wait till hdmi2.1 cards arrive.

You can exclude certain programs and applications through the Nvidia Control Panel. Go to "Manage 3D settings", click on the "Program Settings" tab, select the program from the list (or click on "Add" to find it), and set "Monitor Technology" to "Fixed Refresh".

It doesn't work for some programs, however, such as Firefox (in full screen mode, there's tearing at the top of the screen).
jymig likes this.
post #8825 of 13452 Old 11-03-2019, 05:52 PM

I just put RTSS on my taskbar and set it globally to 57 since I only game in 4K. When I want to use it, I click on the icon in my taskbar to load it before launching a game. When I am done, I just right-click on the icon in the bottom right of the taskbar and close it.
post #8826 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelrode View Post
I just put RTSS on my taskbar and set it globally to 57 since I only game in 4K. When I want to use it, I click on the icon in my taskbar to load it before launching a game. When I am done, I just right-click on the icon in the bottom right of the taskbar and close it.
You don’t need RTSS to do all of that, you can just enable the frame limiter at the driver level Globally with Nvidia Inspector.
I’m running the display at 66Hz so i set it at 60fps and forget about it, since RTSS causes weird bsod for me.
post #8827 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrycrabb View Post
You don’t need RTSS to do all of that, you can just enable the frame limiter at the driver level Globally with Nvidia Inspector.
I’m running the display at 66Hz so i set it at 60fps and forget about it, since RTSS causes weird bsod for me.
rtss is known to add very little lag only 1 frame and also provides the most stable frametimes according to battlenonsense but whatever works for you is fine to but they have no need to change, but this may all be unnecessary now with nvidia ultra low latency mode or null as they are calling it now it is rumored to cap fps with gsync enabled since the new driver 441.08
see here
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5903
post #8828 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gift for Christmas, maybe too early, but who cares!

post #8829 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyH View Post
I turned gsync off, because i'm sure it's stuffing around with MADVR movie framerates.

I mean if you turn on gsync and set the framerate limit in rivatuner to 57 globally, I'm positive its introduces stutter when watching movies in Potplayer.

The whole thing is a mess, can't wait till hdmi2.1 cards arrive.
Why would you use frame limiting when not gaming?

I only turn on gsync, switch to 66hz and turn on the frame limiter when gaming. Otherwise, it's all off.
post #8830 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrycrabb View Post
Can you confirm HDR working with that 66hz oc? Because I try that and I get the black screen of doom, where I have to connect the PC to another display and reset the drivers via CRU just so I can get an image back on the TV.

As for RTSS, never had any problems with it. Used that for capping FPS for many years now.
post #8831 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
Can you confirm HDR working with that 66hz oc? Because I try that and I get the black screen of doom, where I have to connect the PC to another display and reset the drivers via CRU just so I can get an image back on the TV.

As for RTSS, never had any problems with it. Used that for capping FPS for many years now.
Yes HDR is working fine here with 66hz, You can try unplugging the hdmi cable from the gpu and replugging it back It helps when i have blackscreen issues with the gpu. You can also try a full CRU reset ddu driver reinstall.

Note: I’m using 4:2:2 10bit for HDR set in Nvidia Control Panel and RGB Limited 8bit for SDR.
post #8832 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 21
weird, why is their no firmware to update to on the LG USA site. Wonder why it was pulled. I saw it on their last week.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
(under the software and drivers section it says no files)

LG 65C9 OLED
Sony XBR-55A1E OLED
post #8833 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 View Post
weird, why is their no firmware to update to on the LG USA site. Wonder why it was pulled. I saw it on their last week.

They are probably getting ready to post the new firmware. They usually have a delay between switching from old to New.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #8834 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
They are probably getting ready to post the new firmware. They usually have a delay between switching from old to New.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
that's what I thought too. Thanks...

LG 65C9 OLED
Sony XBR-55A1E OLED
post #8835 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:

I downloaded it yesterday from another country's site. May have been Canada. Couldn't remember how to navigate the Korean website.
post #8836 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I downloaded it yesterday from another country's site. May have been Canada. Couldn't remember how to navigate the Korean website.
yeah I believe the latest one is found on Canada's site but dont mind waiting till it hits US site. I dont know if there is any issue downloading from canada site when you are located in the US. Also has anyone gotten OTA updates to work on lg c9.

LG 65C9 OLED
Sony XBR-55A1E OLED
post #8837 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
yeah I believe the latest one is found on Canada's site but dont mind waiting till it hits US site. I dont know if there is any issue downloading from canada site when you are located in the US. Also has anyone gotten OTA updates to work on lg c9.
No issue. It's the same file.

The TV will not allow you to flash the wrong firmware.
Jrocker23 likes this.
post #8838 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Mine is auto-updating to 4.70.12 right now (in central CO). LG often puts the firmware out by zones, so it will likely be available for auto-update everywhere in the US within the next couple days.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #8839 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
Mine is auto-updating to 4.70.12 right now (in central CO). LG often puts the firmware out by zones, so it will likely be available for auto-update everywhere in the US within the next couple days.

Same here! Woke up first thing morning to the update. So it’s just the G Sync update only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #8840 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post

I woke an also had the firmware update. 4.70.12
post #8841 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

cool, thanks. Hopefully mine will recognize the new OTA update when I get home. I am on east coast, dont know if that makes a difference.

LG 65C9 OLED
Sony XBR-55A1E OLED
post #8842 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New owner of a C9 here. Found this thread because my black levels were all messed up and it drives me nuts. Going by your reports, there seems to be a relatively new bug causing it, but it's difficult to parse all the information.

If all I want to do is play PC games at 1440p / 120 Hz in SDR with G-Sync, what are the relevant settings for my TV and NVIDIA control panel, respectively? I don't care about movies, desktop use or HDR gaming (for now, anyway), but I really want to avoid issues like colour banding, input latency and black crush in my games. I have G-Sync w/ RTSS frame limiting working well so far.
post #8843 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
New Geforce driver today, 441.12.

The HDR Black level bug is still present in these drivers, but they have acknowledged the bug, and said that it will be fixed in the next Game Ready driver:

-In HDR, black levels off on LG OLED65C9 [2738708] -> Fixed and will be in our next GRD

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ver-feedback-/

Seems it was isolated to the C9, which is why we were the only ones yelling from the rooftops about it.
post #8844 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 08:08 AM

Liked: 13
Checking the list of GSYNC Compatible monitors, it has been updated to include the B9 Series, and it also includes a change (more like an additional line) in the VRR Range for LG OLEDs from 48-120Hz

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...onitors/specs/

Could it be the addition of the B9, a new spec or simply a mistake from Nvidia? as apparently C9 works flawlessly from 41-120Hz?
ShinKaz likes this.
post #8845 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by civlcivl388a View Post
Checking the list of GSYNC Compatible monitors, it has been updated to include the B9 Series, and it also includes a change (more like an additional line) in the VRR Range for LG OLEDs from 48-120Hz

Could it be the addition of the B9, a new spec or simply a mistake from Nvidia? as apparently C9 works flawlessly from 41-120Hz?
Will ask them.
civlcivl388a likes this.
post #8846 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by civlcivl388a View Post

Looking at that list, that seems like an error. The 48-120hz displays are labelled as 2019 E9 C9 B9, and the 40-120hz displays are labelled as 2019 E9 C9 55 and 2019 E9 C9 65. Pretty sure those new entries should say 2019 B9 55 and 2019 B9 65.

I've also tested that Gsync works correctly on my C9 in the 41-120hz range.
civlcivl388a and Tygeezy like this.
post #8847 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Looking at that list, that seems like an error. The 48-120hz displays are labelled as 2019 E9 C9 B9, and the 40-120hz displays are labelled as 2019 E9 C9 55 and 2019 E9 C9 65. Pretty sure those new entries should say 2019 B9 55 and 2019 B9 65.

I've also tested that Gsync works correctly on my C9 in the 41-120hz range.
Maybe they got it confused with the Samsungs that only go to 48hz. Here's a screenshot of the EDID data that shows 40-120hz on the C9.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VRR 40-120.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	2636346  
Tygeezy and ShinKaz like this.
post #8848 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:

The HDR Black level bug is still present in these drivers, but they have acknowledged the bug, and said that it will be fixed in the next Game Ready driver:

-In HDR, black levels off on LG OLED65C9 [2738708] -> Fixed and will be in our next GRD

Seems it was isolated to the C9, which is why we were the only ones yelling from the rooftops about it.

Glad it is acknowledged and will be fixed soon. I kept my black level settings tweaks the same after installing this driver. These are the game-ready drivers for RDR2 - I am so looking forward to playing that on my PC finally.
post #8849 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime957 View Post
Maybe they got it confused with the Samsungs that only go to 48hz. Here's a screenshot of the EDID data that shows 40-120hz on the C9.

Nice! I guess the B9 series has that 48-120Hz range (although its not mentioned anywhere), in other note, is there info in the EDID of presence of LFC in 120Hz mode? (as it should be mandatory from GSYNC specs and given the highest rate is more than 2.5X the lowest refresh rate) but I recall someone here mentioning 40 and below started tearing so maybe it doesnt have LFC?
post #8850 of 13452 Old 11-04-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

Good news they are fixing this.. Bad news that it was isolated to c9 users... My guess is we are pretty niche here so if we aren't vocal about it this stuff will just go unnoticed due to the small amount of users. HDR pc gaming in general is niche at the moment due to there really not being any good hdr gaming monitors, but c9 users are an even smaller minority.

My c9 77 along with a geforce 2070 super are on the way. Hopefully this is resolved before I get my setup going.
Deepo likes this.

Last edited by Tygeezy; 11-04-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , directional hdmi , hdmi , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , lgoled , oled , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels , soundbar advice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page