2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 330 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6802Likes

post #9871 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggShooter View Post
If you look on Costco.com and read the details of the Squaretrade Warranty (TV's Over $1000), you will see the following: "This plan is exclusive to Costco members. In order to redeem protection plan coverage, TV and plan must be purchased from a Costco location or Costco.com".

https://www.costco.com/squaretrade-3....11680336.html

I plan to stop in Costco on Black Friday to get some clarification too. Hopefully it won't be too busy.
Is the plan cheaper through Costco? I'm just wondering, because if there's all of these questions about whether one will be covered when buying it from Costco can't you just buy it directly from Squaretrade instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9872 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomolav1980 View Post
Does anybody use bias light on OLED?
.I bought medialight bias d65, but I am not feeling it, it feels unnatural to me.

Sent fra min VOG-L29 via Tapatalk

I bought an RGB bias light from amazon and love it. Wish it would sync the color to the video automatically but still it’s nice.
tomolav1980 likes this.
post #9873 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Here is a link to a YouTube channel with 4k HDR. I use it to demo my TV with friends.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve...FNipzeAGBI5t9g
magic_carpet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9874 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyS View Post
I bought an RGB bias light from amazon and love it. Wish it would sync the color to the video automatically but still it’s nice.

Look up the Govee Dreamscreen on Amazon or Youtube. It uses a camera to measure the light and works 90% as good as Phillips implementation. Works on every source.
post #9875 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teiresias View Post
Is the plan cheaper through Costco? I'm just wondering, because if there's all of these questions about whether one will be covered when buying it from Costco can't you just buy it directly from Squaretrade instead?

You have to purchase the warranty in store for it to be honored if purchased elsewhere. The terms presented to you at the time of purchase are what has to be honored. The brochures are what you grab from the display near the TVs and have the cashier scan.
BiggShooter likes this.
post #9876 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
I have a few more questions I'm hoping to get answered before I pull the trigger. Has anyone ever purchased anything (specifically TV's) from Abe's of Maine? I'm considering purchasing the LG OLED 77" C9 (PUB) from Abe's of Maine. Also, is a SquareTrade Warranty (TV's Over $1000) able to be purchased for a TV not bought at Costco?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiresias View Post
The SquareTrade Warranty is MUCH cheaper through Costco. I did check the SquareTrade web site and was surprised how much more expensive it was to cover a $5000 TV.
post #9877 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTurtle View Post
Mine came without any film on the front. It had the film on the back, though, but it was pretty tough to see.
Well that's good to know, thanks... And regarding the back, it does look like there's a film attached but it almost doesn't seem like it's intended to be removed. The corners don't easily peal away so I left it as-is. Did you remove the film you had on the back of yours?
post #9878 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushEntityPacket View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
For all those who are struggling with gradient color banding from external sources, I started an LG forums post on it. Anything you can add example wise or experiences would benefit up here.
the gradient issue continues to drive me nuts. I have the 77c9 hooked up to HTPC as well as a monitor (a high framerate low contrast VA panel) and I can literally drag the same content from one side to the other and make the gradient posterization go away. in addition to the testing on other monitors, it's pretty clear that some messed up processing has been going on - when you pause it on a gradient scene, the little bands oscillate as the processing fights with itself stupidly.

I added the PC to the LG device using the device connector thing and pretended it was a bluray player, but that doesnt work.

honestly it doesnt matter for 95% of content, especially content that has been photographed with real cameras. film grain seems to mitigate it for the most part. but gradients that are very smooth or computer generated (the logo at the beginning of Timescapes, the sun's halo over the earth in blue planet II logo scene) can look like low color 90's video game banding. I can get thru nearly all of blade runner 2049 without noticing it until the scene at the end where the clouds come up (attached, interested in anyone's ability to get a clean shot of this at 02:27:47 and what setup they have).

Other notes from continued setup tweaking went through a bunch of cables: (I only tested one per brand)
Belkin 48g 6ft (some stability issues but tolerable, sometimes requires a reboot to fix)
Monoprice 48g 6ft (least stable at high throughput, surprising and unfortunate because super cheap)
Club3D CAC-1371 3ft (most stable, only 1 or two weird connection artifacts, but nothing during content)

I've been pixel peeping for gradients so hard that now when I look at real life sunsets they dont look smooth enough.

setup is 980ti from only hdmi out to TV's topmost hdmi port 8bpc or 12bpc/23hz/RGB, ISFDark, Cinema Home, Technicolor Pro, MPC-BE+MadVR.
Great info and more proof. Can you add a post to the LG forum thread on it?
post #9879 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwisme View Post
Well that's good to know, thanks... And regarding the back, it does look like there's a film attached but it almost doesn't seem like it's intended to be removed. The corners don't easily peal away so I left it as-is. Did you remove the film you had on the back of yours?

I think LG recommends you to remove the film on the back. Mine had the film on the front that had to be peeled off. I would turn the screen off and check with a really bright LED flashlight at an angle and check for scratches. The film on man looked like someone put the TV in their back pocket after a long day at the beach.
post #9880 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
If you look on Costco.com and read the details of the Squaretrade Warranty (TV's Over $1000), you will see the following: "This plan is exclusive to Costco members. In order to redeem protection plan coverage, TV and plan must be purchased from a Costco location or Costco.com".

https://www.costco.com/squaretrade-3....11680336.html

I plan to stop in Costco on Black Friday to get some clarification too. Hopefully it won't be too busy.
Okay, this was driving me crazy but it looks like there are 2 different products on their website with one of them that allows purchases from authorized sellers:
https://www.costco.com/squaretrade-3...100350743.html

I plan to snag this and retain screenshots and associated documentation just to be safe. Given how good Costco are with customer service, I'm not too worried about them screwing me over on this if I needed to rely on the warranty.

LG OLED 77C9 | Yamaha RX-V375 | SVS PB12-NSD
post #9881 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
So, after owning the C9 for two months now, it will be calibrated by a professional next weekend. He had a Klein meter and Calman ultimate. Which calibration option is better to gain the absolute best picture quality? Manual or Autocal?
LightSpace to generate 3D Lut for SDR.

Calibrating HDR doesn't really work since the panels are so unstable. You can do some basic things like Autocal does or manually but you cannot benefit from a full 3d lut with HDR unfortunately.

Check out the threads in the calibration subforum.

Current TVs: 77" LG C9, 65" LG B7A, 55" TCL R625, 65” GT50 Plasma
post #9882 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 100
HDR effect. How do I get out of HDR effect picture mode?? For some reason that happened recently I am stuck in that picture mode. Have C9 65” since April and all was fine (been using expert bright room). Now, o can’t access it.
post #9883 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Great info and more proof. Can you add a post to the LG forum thread on it?
Hey - not sure if you've tried this but actually made more progress today. over on the doom9 madvr thread people kept on talking about "HDMI mode" and I didnt really understand what they were talking about. I figured I'd mess with the labeling settings because that's how you force some of the things for PC mode. By setting the icon and label to just the default "HDMI 1" and icon connector it vastly changed the gradient appearance for the better. (the fact that this is not toggleable via an explicit setting and is triggered based on a poorly documented freeform text field is an abomination)

I'm still outputting the same signal from the HTPC in 24p/12bpc. BR2049 now works nearly flawlessly in that ending scene. the opening of Blue Planet is vastly improved (only the nearly invisible outer fringe of the sunburst has a harder edge between shades). Other scenes with bad posterization I cross checked on the other display and it seems like the problems are in the bluray encoding or upstream from the TV.

It looks like I've caught up to everyone else and am now on to tuning nearly imperceptible audio sync issues entirely fixable in SW and futzing with MadVR upscaling until my eyes bleed.
post #9884 of 12078 Old 11-27-2019, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7036 Post(s)
Liked: 7070
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt300zx View Post

Unfortunately, I will have to go with the Sams Club warranty (https://www.samsclub.com/p/tv-3-yr-d...lp_product_1_3) due to the "authorized retailer" mess. This warranty starts at day 1 and includes accidental damage and liquid damage. I do have a newborn after all in the house. I lose a year of coverage but am covered if my pride and joy sends Duke Caboom through the TV.
Mack Warranty is an option as well........
post #9885 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushEntityPacket View Post
By setting the icon and label to just the default "HDMI 1" and icon connector it vastly changed the gradient appearance for the better. (the fact that this is not toggleable via an explicit setting and is triggered based on a poorly documented freeform text field is an abomination)
The text is irrelevant. It’s the icon that matters. PC icon is PC mode and every other icon is not PC mode.

PC mode lets it display 4:4:4 properly but has very noticeable banding.
post #9886 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm on PC mode but I don't notice any banding... Can you please explain how to experience this issue?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
post #9887 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
The text is irrelevant. It’s the icon that matters. PC icon is PC mode and every other icon is not PC mode.

Yeah, I also want to see links with photos for that banding in 4:4:4
post #9888 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fant View Post
Have you tried just setting the audio to PCM? You'll only get stereo but wondering if the sync issues are gone then?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I have yes. Unfortunately it doesn't help. In PCM the audio is before the video (with all video processing off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
Have you gone into the tv audio settings and set the Arc/earc audio to pass through

LG C9, C8, C6 w/Pioneer SC-LX502 AVR, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Nintendo Switch

Unfortunately yes, I tried PCM and Bypass. I have tried every possible combination of audio settings both on the TV and soundbar with no luck.

Chris D.
LG C9 OLED - XBOX One X

Last edited by crawlgsx; 11-28-2019 at 04:21 AM.
post #9889 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
How long on average it takes to develop burn-in on this TV? My wife watches a lot of TV programs with logo in upper corners so I am worried it will burn-in soon, I have plasma that developed burn in from this...
post #9890 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
So, after owning the C9 for two months now, it will be calibrated by a professional next weekend. He had a Klein meter and Calman ultimate. Which calibration option is better to gain the absolute best picture quality? Manual or Autocal?
Hi - I think this is a matter of personal preference by the calibrator. I had a very experienced UK calibrator calibrate my C9 and I am very happy with the results. If you are calibrating your TV there is a great podcast on calibration by the UK AV forums site that I would definitely listen to - it gives you some great hints/tips on what to ask your calibrator - George

LG C9 | NAD T777v3 | NAD M25 | Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II | Monitor Audio Platinum PLC150 II | 6 Monitor Gold GXFX | JL Audio F212v2 | Virgin v6 | Pioneer LX 500 4k Blu-Ray | Apple TV 4k | Linn Sondek LP12
post #9891 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrossen View Post
Hi - I think this is a matter of personal preference by the calibrator. I had a very experienced UK calibrator calibrate my C9 and I am very happy with the results. If you are calibrating your TV there is a great podcast on calibration by the UK AV forums site that I would definitely listen to - it gives you some great hints/tips on what to ask your calibrator - George

Hi, thank you for the tip. Is it possible for you to send me the link to that particular podcast? I would appreciate it!

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED C9
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #9892 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 4754 Post(s)
Liked: 5732
Quote:
Every professional calibrator has their own special process so I would let your calibrator do what he or she feels will give the best result. The problem with the LG is the CMS can have a lot of errors which can't be corrected with the manual controls so you really want to re-create the 3D LUT in order to minimize these errors. Without going into which software is better, pros/cons etc, Light Space and CalMAN can be used to do this. Just let the calibrator you hired do their "thing" and I'm sure you will be happy with the results.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LS Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #9893 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Hi, thank you for the tip. Is it possible for you to send me the link to that particular podcast? I would appreciate it!
Here you go - I found this quite interesting (it is quite long though):

https://www.avforums.com/news/avforu...ber-2019.16853

George
jrref likes this.

LG C9 | NAD T777v3 | NAD M25 | Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II | Monitor Audio Platinum PLC150 II | 6 Monitor Gold GXFX | JL Audio F212v2 | Virgin v6 | Pioneer LX 500 4k Blu-Ray | Apple TV 4k | Linn Sondek LP12
post #9894 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreic View Post
How long on average it takes to develop burn-in on this TV? My wife watches a lot of TV programs with logo in upper corners so I am worried it will burn-in soon, I have plasma that developed burn in from this...
Ensuring that the OLED setting is not too high helps lower the risk of BI tremendously.
jrref likes this.
post #9895 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I find it odd that nothing can beat the brightness of my 65B7 full field white screen. Just did a comparison to my C9 and I could see a huge difference. Although in regular SDR content you can clearly see that the C9 excels in brightness. If the C9 is brighter with content than the B7 then why is full field white dimmer? Panel variance? More aggressive ABL when going past a certain amount of the screen being white?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9896 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to pull the trigger on the 2019 LG oled C9 but have been reading concerns about burn in and screen judder and stutter when watching movies? Has any current C9 owner experienced any of this? I currently have a Pioneer Kuro 9g Pro 101fd so will this tv be able to match or surpass the kuro?
post #9897 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post

Are there any definitive settings for PC Gaming? There are so many options on both the TV and the PC that it is making my head spin.

1. First we have to deal with both SDR and HDR. Should HDR be enabled in the Windows Control Panel? I've noticed some games automatically send HDR even when it is disabled in Windows.

2a. Then we have the Nvidia Control Panel. Should we be outputting RGB or YCbCr 444 or 422? 2b. Should Dynamic Range be Limited or Full? And same question for both SDR and HDR.

3a. Then in the TV should we be using the PC Mode icon? 3b. And what should the Black Level setting be? 3c. And also should the Color Gamut be Wide or Extended?

I know this has been discussed to death but it seems like it just goes in circles and I've never been able to find a final answer. And a lot of people are discussing movies rather than games.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #9898 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 4754 Post(s)
Liked: 5732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrossen View Post
Here you go - I found this quite interesting (it is quite long though):

https://www.avforums.com/news/avforu...ber-2019.16853

George
Excellent Podcast that covers lots of topics concerning calibration and questions asked all the time.
mrtickleuk likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LS Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #9899 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Picked up a C9, but I’m having an issue that should be easy to figure out but I’m not having any luck.

Basically I have a Bell Satellite box connected through a Marantz SR7010 to the C9. Somehow the C9 is hijacking the audio and the Marantz isn’t receiving any audio signal. Every other device works fine. On initial setup I was getting audio to the Marantz just fine, but somewhere along the way the problem occurs. Did a complete reset of the C9 and got the audio back, but turned everything on today and again there’s no audio going to the Marantz. If I disconnect the HDMI going to the tv, I get the proper audio signal back.

I’ve tried every arc setting I can find on both the C9 and Marantz, but the issue persists. I suspect it has something to do with the automatic device detection, but I can’t figure it out.

Any ideas?
post #9900 of 12078 Old 11-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Are there any definitive settings for PC Gaming? There are so many options on both the TV and the PC that it is making my head spin.

1. First we have to deal with both SDR and HDR. Should HDR be enabled in the Windows Control Panel? I've noticed some games automatically send HDR even when it is disabled in Windows.

2a. Then we have the Nvidia Control Panel. Should we be outputting RGB or YCbCr 444 or 422? 2b. Should Dynamic Range be Limited or Full? And same question for both SDR and HDR.

3a. Then in the TV should we be using the PC Mode icon? 3b. And what should the Black Level setting be? 3c. And also should the Color Gamut be Wide or Extended?

I know this has been discussed to death but it seems like it just goes in circles and I've never been able to find a final answer. And a lot of people are discussing movies rather than games.
1. I only enable HDR in Windows Control Panel for games that need it, like COD MW and RDR2. And turn it off again when I stop playing.

2a. That also depends on the resolution and framerate you want to use. You have to make concessions, because of the HDMI 2.0 limited bandwidth. I want [email protected], so I set it to YCbCr 422 limited. This allows for 12bit for HDR content. For SDR, use RGB Full 8bit. You could also use RGB Full 8bit for all content. HDR will still work. We need HDMI 2.1 graphics cards to get rid of this "dilemma". Then we can just set it to [email protected] RGB Full 12bit. I believe technically the best setting would be YCbCr 444. But you need PC Mode for that to display correctly, and PC Mode has issues. Also, when not actually using the desktop or programs with lots of text, there is no real benefit with 444, except with some PC-only games with a lot of text.

2b. See 2a.

3a. I recommend not using PC Mode ever. Many reports of it having big issues such as banding.

3b. Black level should be low when using limited dynamic range and high when using full dynamic range.

3c. Not sure about this one. I have it set to auto, simply because I read in some guides that's the recommended setting.

Last edited by Aemstel; 11-28-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , directional hdmi , hdmi , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , lgoled , oled , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels , soundbar advice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page