2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 383 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8513Likes

post #11461 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey @dfa973 ,

Now that we know for sure the LG 2020
models will have OLED Motion Pro ([email protected]) what are the chances LG will update the 2019 models like the C9 with such feature? Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11462 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 30
As an owner of a C9 whats the best way to watch Amazon movies? I have Amazon Prime - do you watch through the app on the TV or (if connected to a web browser login and watch that way) or is there a better way? I use Firefox myself.

I just want to watch the best quality and cleanest way. I assume the app on the TV would be best but had to ask.

Thanks

Dell Alienware Aurora R7 - Liquid Cooled - CPU: Intel i7 8700K - 16GB Dual Channel DDR4
Graphics: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra Gaming 11GB GDDR6
Display: LG 65' C9 OLED
SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Gaming Headset w/ SteelSeries RIVAL 650 Wireless Mouse
LG OLED C9/E9 dedicated GAMING thread
post #11463 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC3 View Post
I have one that is unused with the exception of having a couple of spacers removed. I'll sell it half price if you pay shipping.

I’m interested. Sending you a PM

LG OLED 65C9 | Samsung Q90R Soundbar | OPPO UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11464 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic_Gamer View Post
Hey @dfa973 ,

models will have OLED Motion Pro ([email protected]) what are the chances LG will update the 2019 models like the C9 with such feature? Any thoughts?

Probably not. This was actually supposed to be a feature on the C9 but was pulled just before release

post #11465 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash01748 View Post
You can't beat the value of the Costco $ 99.00 for a total of an additional 3 years after the one year maufacturer's warranty expires. I used them with a older Panasonic Plasma and they were great, motherboard replacement went smoothly with no issues. Highly recommended.

U can't get squaretrade from Costco anymore unless u bought the TV from them. They changed it last year

post #11466 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Now that we know for sure the LG 2020 models will have OLED Motion Pro ([email protected]) what are the chances LG will update the 2019 models like the C9 with such feature?
Slim to none.
Balthazar Lin likes this.
post #11467 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 159
My C9 is not calibrated and I have all additional processing including DTM off for HDR mode. Even though I kinda like DTM sometimes as it improves the specular highlights, it unnaturally brightens up the entire picture. Are you guys doing anything to brighten the HDR just a bit?
DV looks really nice with my Oppo 203 set to TV-led.

LG OLED C9 77", Samsung UN65JS8500, Onkyo TX-NR747, Oppo UDP-203, Samsung UBD-K8500, Focal speakers, SVS dual subs.
post #11468 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiresias View Post
Is anyone else having consistent issues with the Amazon app in the C9?

I'm seeing constant buffering issues, with The Expanse (just what I happen to be watching at the moment) dropping in and out of 4K quality, often degrading for a few seconds to the point that I may as well be watching a 360p Youtube video of the show. This is not consistent or repeatable in the same places.

Furthermore, if I turn the TV on and the TV is already in the Amazon app I frequently can't get the app to respond to remote control commands at all and have to bring up the home menu and go into other apps until the Amazon app fully closes and has to restart in order for it to start responding to the remote again.

I'm only seeing these issues on the Amazon app. At this point, I'll have to watch Amazon on the FireTV Stick I just removed from my setup and Netflix on the TV since Netflix on the FireTV has issues that it doesn't have on th TV.
This issue has been reported in a german Hifi-forum for four years now, since 2016 LG OLED TVs. I'm using my Apple 4K TV for Amazon Prime, Twitch and movie streaming. It's the only external device which give's truly smooth playback, except for 24fps content on netflix, ATV4K still does not support that. I even have tested NV Shield 2019 pro and the Fire TV Stick. It was stuttery on Prime, Netflix and horrible stuttery on Twitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phronk View Post
Since we're talking about TruMotion, I've been having an issue with it.

This is actually on a B9, but I'm wondering if the C9 has the same issue or I made a dumb mistake saving a few bucks.

This video shows some weird artifacts when TruMotion is on:

https://youtu.be/y9JpHrIf0i8

It's from Dracula on Netflix, episode 2, at about 6:50, if anyone wants to try it out. Don't worry, it's not a spoiler.

Glitches like this show up at least a few times in every show if I have TruMotion De-Judder set to any number.

Are these normal artifacts? Should I try a factory reset?
I have tested this scene on my C9 with de-judder 4. No Artifacts whatsoever.

Last edited by Lors; 01-10-2020 at 12:17 PM.
post #11469 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7510 Post(s)
Liked: 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal250 View Post
@Cleveland Plasma in general I avoid an extended warranty because of the lack of value (IMO). That said, are you able to recommend a service entity that offers an extended warranty on the LG C9 irrespective of where the unit was purchased. In other words some places like Costco may (not sure) only offer an extended warranty if the unit is purchased through them.
Mack Warranty.

---Here is where a "good" dealer can come into play on a warranty. Lets say you go thru the process and you are not getting a far shake in a buy out offer, reach out to your dealer and see what he thinks of the buy out offer. I have found a few cases where indeed my client was not getting a far shake. One said person had this happened last month, they offered $1000. Well he called me to buy a new TV, let me know about the buy out, I looked at what he had going on. I said no, no, no that is not a far shake, sent a email to Mack Warranty he got an additional $1300..... That easy. If you have no dealer support for the warranty, hire a lawyer
dwaleke and hal250 like this.
post #11470 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Green View Post
As an owner of a C9 whats the best way to watch Amazon movies? I have Amazon Prime - do you watch through the app on the TV or (if connected to a web browser login and watch that way) or is there a better way? I use Firefox myself.

I just want to watch the best quality and cleanest way. I assume the app on the TV would be best but had to ask.

Thanks
Listen. Ill tell you this. The netflix, disney plus, and youtube apps are the best on the c9 in terms of hdr quality and general overall no issues. Those three are absolutely top notch.

Amazon is good but it isnt great. Its a bit laggier but still good. The internal app is much better than using a web browser for amazon or any app. I havent tried a firestick or other forms to comment on that.
22Green likes this.
post #11471 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 6083 Post(s)
Liked: 8812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stirling View Post
I wouldn’t bother with the factory reset. I’ve been an oled owner for 3 years now and LGs motion interpolation is famously glitchy. Thankfully I hate any kind of motion smoothing so it doesn’t impact on me.

Ps. There’ll be at least one post per firmware release suggesting it has magically improved motion (but there will be no improvements)
Indeed. Normally posted by the same troll, too.
FarleyUK likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #11472 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5152 Post(s)
Liked: 3166
Quote:
Originally Posted by timkwong2 View Post
U can't get squaretrade from Costco anymore unless u bought the TV from them. They changed it last year

Probably better that way because when I needed warranty service for a warranty I got from Costco without buying the TV from them, Costco would tell me to call Square Trade and Square Trade would tell me to call Costco so it was a nightmare.

lujan
677 Ultra HD
733 HD
4 SD
post #11473 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lors View Post
I have tested this scene on my C9 with de-judder 4. No Artifacts whatsoever.
Thanks so much for checking that specific scene! I was hoping someone with a C9 would.

Really weird. Assuming my B9 is normal, this seems like it could be a big difference between the B9 and the C9. I hadn't seen motion handling mentioned anywhere as a difference.

Figures that I'd discover this ONE DAY after my return period at Best Buy.
post #11474 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanupdisc View Post
Listen. Ill tell you this. The netflix, disney plus, and youtube apps are the best on the c9 in terms of hdr quality and general overall no issues. Those three are absolutely top notch.

Amazon is good but it isnt great. Its a bit laggier but still good. The internal app is much better than using a web browser for amazon or any app. I havent tried a firestick or other forms to comment on that.

100% agreed. I have been using FireTV stick 4k to watch prime video assuming assuming the it would give me the best PQ

Then one time I watched Jack Ryan from the C9!build in prime video. The quality from C9 is significantly better. Give me much better and brighter picture on Dolby Vision (season 1 has DV)

I was so shock that I went back and forth to do an A/B comparison and made sure my FireTV setup was correct.

Yes. The build in apps are good and better. Just use it.

mrtickleuk and 22Green like this.
post #11475 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlgsx View Post
As someone who has read every post in this thread, I can tell you that you are going to find a lot of different people with different opinions on 2 and 3. There is no standard, and we all have different preferences. You will have to try them and see what works best for you . Part of this will depend on the content you are viewing. 99% of my media content is streamed. (Plex, Disney+, Netflix) 75%+ of my TV usage is gaming (xbox one x, Using ALLM you don't have to worry about these settings for gaming as they will be off by default)

Everyone here will agree to turn off Power saver functions if you want the best picture.

2.) I hate it and run with it off. Some people run it on low, some people run it more mid (4/5) but I personally can't enjoy modified pictures. There are also many like me that agree off is the best for them.

3.) Many people do, many people also leave it off (myself included). Again I don't want any picture modifications/Soap Opera style effects which is all I can see with any TruMotion or RealCinema set to on with streamed content. I believe that maybe RealCinema on has a bigger role in BluRay, but don't quote me on that.
Can ALLM be turned off? I run a HTPC and don't want the display to think that I'm constantly gaming.

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.6.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM + B6 OLED 65
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Subs1: 2x LRK Build Thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged); retired: VRK Build thread
Subs2: 2x Rythmik LVX12; 2x Dayton HF 12's Ultra-NearField + Crown XLS 2002
MiniDSP HD & Non; DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #11476 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 193
bumping this post as it's MIA already

Quote:
I agree to turn off power saver functions. But can someone list **all** of the power saver functions to turn off? Off the top of my head (without looking at the tv menu as I write this) I recall that APS picture mode is of the power saving variety and there is a menu option to turn on/off external HDD power when idle. What else is there?

can someone list **all** of the power saver functions to turn off?

Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X
post #11477 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
can someone list **all** of the power saver functions to turn off?
Can't list all, only the ones I know of. On my C8, from what I know C9 is similar.

Power saving functions, which may affect picture quality. Not interested in those which don't affect PQ, that muddies the waters. Those are things like USB disc power-off, sleep power off, Quick Start, Quick Start+, etc.

* Eco mode, apparently called APS mode in America - this isn't a power saving function, it's a Picture Mode. As long as you're in a different Picture Mode, nothing to see here.
* Energy Saving function in the top of Picture menu. Can be used in every mode.
* ABL (automatic brightness limiter):
- designed to reduce sustained high brightness output
- dimming of the picture based on average picture level and power draw
- happens during very bright scenes
- dims instantly and un-dims instantly
- can't be disabled, but lowering Oled-Light makes it less aggressive
* ASBL (automatic static brightness limiter):
- designed to dim down what it thinks is a static, non-moving image (bright or not)
- dimming of the picture after being static for a certain amount of time. (90 seconds I think but not sure)
- happens gradually
- can also trigger during non static scenes with a very low average picture level [lots of users HATE this]
- un-dims when something bright enters the scene or there is a scene change
- can be disabled in the service menu by turning off TPC (Thermal Protection Circuit)

* ANSD (Automatic News Station Dimming) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57859488
- term coined by fafrd
- dims slowly if there is a bright static object or logo on the screen.
- Removing the static logo will cause the brightness to gradually ramp up to the original value within like 30 seconds or so. This is different from ASBL which almost instantly returns to the original brightness.
- the dimming depends on how bright the static object is (50% white -> no dimming, 60%-100% white -> full dimming)
- dimming starts after 2 minutes. Over the next two minutes it dims to ~48% of the original brightness.

* Logo Luminance Adjustment control in Picture/Panel Settings.
hal250 and dfa973 like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #11478 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
The question is a bit odd. Even an LG employee won't be able to give you a definitive answer. And what sense does it make to speculate wildly?

The only thing that can be said from the experience of the past few years is that the window is slowly closing in which LG will release major feature updates for the 2019 series. LG will focus on the development of the 2020 models in the coming months.

This doesn't mean that the 2019 models won't get any feature updates at all, but the probability for major updates gets smaller and smaller with each month.

LG will surely have to release one or two updates regarding HDMI 2.1 as soon as the number of corresponding devices has reached a relevant distribution. And one can hope that one or the other feature will be included in the course of this. But I wouldn't rely on that.

From the perspective of how the BFI feature has developed so far, it doesn't look like we'll get an update for the 2019 models. And even in the unlikely event that it does happen, we are certainly several months away from it.
macmane and mrtickleuk like this.

TV: LG OLED C9 Firmware v04.71.25 | Probe: X-Rite i1Display Pro OEM Rev. B-02 (04/2019) | EDR: FSI_XM55U_23Jan19.edr | SW: CalMAN Home for LG R3 GM v05.10.2.67 | PG: LG iTPG
post #11479 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for checking that specific scene! I was hoping someone with a C9 would.

Really weird. Assuming my B9 is normal, this seems like it could be a big difference between the B9 and the C9. I hadn't seen motion handling mentioned anywhere as a difference.

Figures that I'd discover this ONE DAY after my return period at Best Buy.
I made some videos:

TruMotion 4 and 5, 30FPS:

TruMotion 4 and 5, 60FPS:

Honestly, I didn't read that Motion is such a difference on the B9. I'm not sure if your B9 has some sort of defect? I guess somebody with a B9 should check this.

Last edited by Lors; 01-10-2020 at 02:31 PM.
post #11480 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
- can be disabled in the service menu by turning off TPC (Thermal Protection Circuit)
TPC actually stands for "Temporal Peak Luminance Control" and is described here.

TV: LG OLED C9 Firmware v04.71.25 | Probe: X-Rite i1Display Pro OEM Rev. B-02 (04/2019) | EDR: FSI_XM55U_23Jan19.edr | SW: CalMAN Home for LG R3 GM v05.10.2.67 | PG: LG iTPG
post #11481 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Is anyone else having consistent issues with the Amazon app in the C9?

I'm seeing constant buffering issues, with The Expanse (just what I happen to be watching at the moment) dropping in and out of 4K quality, often degrading for a few seconds to the point that I may as well be watching a 360p Youtube video of the show. This is not consistent or repeatable in the same places.

Furthermore, if I turn the TV on and the TV is already in the Amazon app I frequently can't get the app to respond to remote control commands at all and have to bring up the home menu and go into other apps until the Amazon app fully closes and has to restart in order for it to start responding to the remote again.

I'm only seeing these issues on the Amazon app. At this point, I'll have to watch Amazon on the FireTV Stick I just removed from my setup and Netflix on the TV since Netflix on the FireTV has issues that it doesn't have on th TV.
We watch a lot of content from Amazon on the C9 app. I have never experienced anything like what you describe. The HDR content is outstanding and plays without issue. No buffering, or stuttering. Same with SDR.

I do have 100/100 internet speeds, though.
22Green likes this.

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #11482 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Anyone move from a B6 (or other 6 series but preferrably B6) to a C9? I'm going to make a purchase during the next price drop. My guess is right before the Super Bowl.

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.6.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM + B6 OLED 65
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Subs1: 2x LRK Build Thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged); retired: VRK Build thread
Subs2: 2x Rythmik LVX12; 2x Dayton HF 12's Ultra-NearField + Crown XLS 2002
MiniDSP HD & Non; DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #11483 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi4Vision View Post
TPC actually stands for "Temporal Peak Luminance Control" and is described here.
Excellent, thanks for the link!
HiFi4Vision likes this.

post #11484 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Anyone move from a B6 (or other 6 series but preferrably B6) to a C9? I'm going to make a purchase during the next price drop. My guess is right before the Super Bowl.
I did. From a 55" b6 to a 65" c9.
post #11485 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lors View Post
I made some videos:

TruMotion 4 and 5, 30FPS:

TruMotion 4 and 5, 60FPS:

Honestly, I didn't read that Motion is such a difference on the B9. I'm not sure if your B9 has some sort of defect? I guess somebody with a B9 should check this.
Wow, thanks again! That looks a whole lot better, and more like what I'd expect. Even watching the YouTube videos at 0.25 speed, it just looks like normal motion interpolation.

What are you setting to 30 or 60 fps? Something at the source, or like, the video of the video?

Hopefully someone with a B9 can check. I'll link to this message in the B9 thread.

I've also sent a message to LG support to see if they have any insight.
post #11486 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Wow, thanks again! That looks a whole lot better, and more like what I'd expect. Even watching the YouTube videos at 0.25 speed, it just looks like normal motion interpolation.

What are you setting to 30 or 60 fps? Something at the source, or like, the video of the video? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Hopefully someone with a B9 can check. I'll link to this message in the B9 thread.

I've also sent a message to LG support to see if they have any insight.
I set 60fps video recording on my mobile phone.

LG65C9 - i7-6700K/2080ti - PS4 Pro
post #11487 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Are the majority of the Expert Controls supposed to be greyed out when in an HDR mode? Specifically, I was wanting to get into white balance to make the Game mode warmer and less offensively blue, but it's one of the options greyed out.
post #11488 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Are the majority of the Expert Controls supposed to be greyed out when in an HDR mode? Specifically, I was wanting to get into white balance to make the Game mode warmer and less offensively blue, but it's one of the options greyed out.
A tangential response.... I come to understand that if one has the C9 calibrated via the IP interface with Calman (i.e. where Calman inputs calibration settings remotely from the pc instead of manually inputting via the C9 menus) that the menus for white balance (and more settings) are *permanently* disabled (I think unless a factory reset is performed).

Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X

Last edited by hal250; 01-10-2020 at 04:44 PM.
post #11489 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Quote:
A tangential response.... I come to understand that if one has the C9 calibrated via the IP interface with Calman (i.e. where Calman calibrates remotely from the pc instead of inputting via the C9 menus) that the menus for white balance (and more settings) are *permanently* disabled (I think unless a factory reset is performed). [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
Umm, that sucks if true. I'd like to make game mode in HDR palatable so I can use it with the PS4. Color Management is available so maybe could tweak there?

Last edited by teiresias; 01-10-2020 at 05:04 PM.
post #11490 of 14818 Old 01-10-2020, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi4Vision View Post
Anyone here disable it and have any issues after any period of time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , directional hdmi , hdmi , lg c9 , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , lgoled , Marantz , oled , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels , soundbar advice , sr5012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page