2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 484 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8875Likes

post #14491 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
Here I am quoting my own post again...truly sorry and if it’s against forum rules feel free to remove my post - just don’t see an edit button.

Screen uniformity looks terrible in that picture but the UBK90 has a weird background that tints the bottom right of the screen. Not the display’s fault.

Could be the player?
I got my C9 last week open-box from Best Buy and when I saw this I was convinced it was burn-in. After checking all sorts of color sliders, it only ever showed up when my LG UP970's disc tray was open, showing this white screen.

It's the player.

Why LG decided to use that as a screen, rather than all white (or anything else, really) is beyond me.
RachelS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14492 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I've received a 65C9 a week ago and this weekend noticed that I have the high pitch noise issue from the PSU while bright images are displayed (mostly white).
Anyone else here with this issue? Has anyone been able to get LG to fix it? Would you guys return the TV or try to get it fixed? I've heard from a few people that the PSU replacement did not fix it for them.
post #14493 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just got a 65C9. I used the rtings calibration settings on the set (ISF Expert dark room). I am using the set in my bedroom at night with the lights off. The set seems too bright- the whites are just about blooming. Should I turn the OLED light down, the brightness down or is there another setting I should look at? Thx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14494 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolf View Post
Just got a 65C9. I used the rtings calibration settings on the set (ISF Expert dark room). I am using the set in my bedroom at night with the lights off. The set seems too bright- the whites are just about blooming. Should I turn the OLED light down, the brightness down or is there another setting I should look at? Thx in advance.
I think oled light of 25 will give you reference 100 nits in sdr. It's what I use for my dark bedroom viewing. You don't want to mess with the brightness level of 50.
WildWolf and coldharbor like this.

Last edited by Tygeezy; 05-19-2020 at 01:01 PM.
post #14495 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygeezy View Post
I think oled light of 25 will give you reference 100 nits in sdr. It's what I use for my dark bedroom viewing. You don't want to mess with the brightness level of 50.
Thank you!
post #14496 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
It's a reference source according to some review sites, none of these issues with my copy. I would make sure I'm using premium certified cables and/or order a certified monoprice cable from amazon to see if that makes a difference.
I bought it because it was rated as reference material and the beginning sequence with Sony logo does show true black. Both letterboxes are inky black the entire movie. Inside the ship scenes show what looks to be true black. The only scenes that I questioned were the space scenes - but this could have been due to design as most of the starfield had other galaxies and ‘gas’. I find it unlikely the cable worked for some scenes, kept the letterboxes black, and then struggled during just starfield scenes. I could be wrong though - maybe I’m missing something? It is just a Amazon Basics cable rated for 4K. If memory recalls they don’t certify their cables so I could try a Monoprice cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
Why LG decided to use that as a screen, rather than all white (or anything else, really) is beyond me.
Yup, LG picked a very strange background that would probably worry many people with expensive sets. Not sure who decided that was a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
I could NOT get the LG UBK 90 nor the Sony X700 to do a correct 24p cadence. (Yes, I turned it on). I went through every setting possible. Changed cables too.

To me, the LG players are pure garbage.

The player works for me - 24 hz content has been sent correctly to my (temporary - it’s getting picked up on Friday as I went through 4 of them and just gave up) Vizio PX65-G1. The Vizio reported correct 24 Hz input and looked fine. It looks great with the C9 but I can’t find a similar info page to prove that 24 Hz is being received correctly.

Edit - I purchased a Monoprice certified premium cable to double check. It’s supposed to arrive on Friday. I’ll update then.

Last edited by RachelS; 05-19-2020 at 01:40 PM.
post #14497 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Ok. I know I’ve been a pain, asked 10 thousand questions and probably came across really stupid but I’ve finally done it, just this minute ordered a 55C9 from Currys website for £1299. I’m really hoping I’ve made the right choice. I want the best picture possible so I guess it has to be OLED. Can someone answer these simply questions for me just to put my mind at ease and help me finally stop stressing and loosing the will to live!

REGULAR TV:

About 2 hours in the evenings and a good 5 hours during the day on Saturdays and Sundays if we aren’t out.

FILMS:

My wife and I can easily watch 2 films in the evenings most evenings or 4/5 hours of boxsets (We like the binge)

PS4:

If the wife and I aren’t watching a film or a boxset I generally play the PS4 pro for about 4 hours straight in the evening while she works out how to divorce me! On a Friday and Saturday night my son and I generally play the PS4 pro from around 7 till midnight! That’s 5 hours straight!

I’m not sure if that is mega high usage but can someone please look at my usages and tell me if you think I have made the right choice going with the C9 or infact OLED. Also, I hear people talking about panel lottery too. How do I know or check if my panel is good?

Thanks
In advance.
22Green likes this.
post #14498 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy17 View Post
Ok. I know I’ve been a pain, asked 10 thousand questions and probably came across really stupid but I’ve finally done it, just this minute ordered a 55C9 from Currys website for £1299. I’m really hoping I’ve made the right choice. I want the best picture possible so I guess it has to be OLED. Can someone answer these simply questions for me just to put my mind at ease and help me finally stop stressing and loosing the will to live!

REGULAR TV:

About 2 hours in the evenings and a good 5 hours during the day on Saturdays and Sundays if we aren’t out.

FILMS:

My wife and I can easily watch 2 films in the evenings most evenings or 4/5 hours of boxsets (We like the binge)

PS4:

If the wife and I aren’t watching a film or a boxset I generally play the PS4 pro for about 4 hours straight in the evening while she works out how to divorce me! On a Friday and Saturday night my son and I generally play the PS4 pro from around 7 till midnight! That’s 5 hours straight!

I’m not sure if that is mega high usage but can someone please look at my usages and tell me if you think I have made the right choice going with the C9 or infact OLED. Also, I hear people talking about panel lottery too. How do I know or check if my panel is good?

Thanks
In advance.

You made a great decision. I loved my 77 inch c9 so much I also bought a 55 inch version. No other tv had this combination of gaming and film viewing.
DaverJ, helvetica bold and 22Green like this.
post #14499 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:

REGULAR TV:

FILMS:

PS4:

Thanks
In advance.

Gammers can chime in here, but 5 hours straight would be something at least worth "monitoring".
Be careful that all day tv viewing isn't just on a news channel with static areas on it.

What do I mean by "monitoring"?

As you go, I would periodically check for IMAGE RETENTION. Image retention isn't screen burn in but it is the precursor to it if you aren't careful. You can get image retention without burn in. But there is no such thing as burn-in that didn't have image retention first (whether or not you noticed it taking place).

I haven't had this happen on my OLED yet, but on my plasma it starts with a faint outline that usually manifests on a white background of what was static for a long time. If it continues, it will become a light yellow and as it gets worse, it will turn orange/yellow. After this, burn in will invariably set in.

No one can "tell you" for sure what is or isn't going to happen. This is why I would recommend periodically putting up a white screen image so you can check for it. White is useful for this. I downloaded some 4k size color slides off the internet and put them on a USB drive. You might be able to easily pull this up directly if you are connected to the internet. Don't check for this the next morning when your tv has had a chance to calm down. Do it right after one of your big gaming viewing sessions. In this way you can catch it, if it is occurring, at it's worst and then decide accordingly.

If you see the image retention on the white background, it is your tv "telling you" that it DOES NOT LIKE your viewing/gaming habits with regard to duration. At that point the solution is to shorten the time and vary the content. Try to think of image retention as *"inflamed-irritated" pixels that will either calm down or get worse, depending on what you do next.

The goal here is to not even have image retention. If you fight your "battle" here, you will win the burn in war every time.

If image retention looks different on an OLED, fine. But I think these principles are still very sound.

This regime is very proactive and one where YOU are in control.
Too often people just "do" what they think is "reasonable" and then when burn in happens, yes, they realize they over did it, but then it is too late.

The white slide will make monitoring for this rather easy. In regular content, with different darker colors always changing, image retention can otherwise be hard to detect. But actual burn in isn't hard to detect on any content. But by then, it's too late.

Don't wait for burn in. Check for image retention. Many people aren't even aware of this, but my plasmas have been going strong since 2013 and they are considerably more sensitive to burn in than these OLEDS.

Good luck and enjoy! Hope this helps.

P.S. With regard to the panel lottery, it is generally the opposite. Dark grey uniformity slides 2%, 5% 10% 20% etc. will reveal much of this. But there are those who advise "not going there" and just watch your tv and if you don't "see" any problems, then you are good.
coldharbor and 22Green like this.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-19-2020 at 02:27 PM.
post #14500 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Ok. I know I’️ve been a pain, asked 10 thousand questions and probably came across really stupid but I’️ve finally done it, just this minute ordered a 55C9 from Currys website for £1299. I’️m really hoping I’️ve made the right choice. I want the best picture possible so I guess it has to be OLED. Can someone answer these simply questions for me just to put my mind at ease and help me finally stop stressing and loosing the will to live!

REGULAR TV:

About 2 hours in the evenings and a good 5 hours during the day on Saturdays and Sundays if we aren’️t out.

FILMS:

PS4:

If the wife and I aren’️t watching a film or a boxset I generally play the PS4 pro for about 4 hours straight in the evening while she works out how to divorce me! On a Friday and Saturday night my son and I generally play the PS4 pro from around 7 till midnight! That’️s 5 hours straight!

I’️m not sure if that is mega high usage but can someone please look at my usages and tell me if you think I have made the right choice going with the C9 or infact OLED. Also, I hear people talking about panel lottery too. How do I know or check if my panel is good?

Thanks
In advance.

Gammers can chime in here, but 5 hours straight would be something at least worth "monitoring".
Be careful that all day tv viewing isn't just on a news channel with static areas on it.

What do I mean by "monitoring"?

As you go, I would periodically check for IMAGE RETENTION. Image retention isn't screen burn in but it is the precursor to it if you aren't careful. You can get image retention without burn in. But there is no such thing as burn-in that didn't have image retention first (whether or not you noticed it taking place).

I haven't had this happen on my OLED yet, but on my plasma it starts with a faint outline that usually manifests on a white background of what was static for a long time. If it continues, it will become a light yellow and as it gets worse, it will turn orange/yellow. After this, burn in will invariably set in.

No one can "tell you" for sure what is or isn't going to happen. This is why I would recommend periodically putting up a white screen image so you can check for it. White is useful for this. I downloaded some 4k size color slides off the internet and put them on a USB drive. You might be able to easily pull this up directly if you are connected to the internet.

If you see the image retention on the white background, it is your tv "telling you" that it DOES NOT LIKE your viewing/gaming habits with regard to duration. At that point the solution is to shorten the time and vary the content. Try to think of image retention as *"inflamed-irritated" pixels that will either calm down or get worse, depending on what you do next.

If image retention looks different on an OLED, fine. But I think these principles are still very sound.

This regime is very proactive and one where YOU are in control.
Too often people just "do" what they think is "reasonable" and then when burn in happens, yes, they realize they over did it, but then it is too late.

The white slide will make monitoring for this rather easy. In regular content, with different darker colors always changing, image retention can otherwise be hard to detect. But actual burn in isn't hard to detect on any content. But by then, it's too late.

Don't wait for burn in. Check for image retention. Many people aren't even aware of this, but my plasmas have been going strong since 2013 and they are considerably more sensitive to burn in than these OLEDS.

Good luck and enjoy! Hope this helps.

P.S. With regard to the panel lottery, it is generally the opposite. Dark grey uniformity slides 2%, 5% 10% 20% etc. will reveal much of this. But there are those who advise "not going there" and just watch your tv and if you don't "see" any problems, then you are good.
That’s very helpful and I’ll take that onboard. I have seen grey scale and burn I test on Utube. Should I used these to check my panel? Plus I’ve heard about panel lottery on here, how do I test my panel when I first get it and how do I know if it’s a good panel?
post #14501 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 4258
Quote:
Can someone answer these simply questions for me just to put my mind at ease and help me finally stop stressing and loosing the will to live!

Congrats on your purchase, and I'm sure there are more than a few people in this thread that went through the same nervousness before delivery, not completely sure we made the correct (expensive) choice. For most of us, that fear melted away when we hooked it up and saw those glorious OLED pixels and black levels.

As for burn-in, just turn off the TV when no one's watching it. I don't think I've seen a single report of burn-in on a C9 (knock wood): it's been out over a year, and there's some serious TV watchers and gamers around here.
22Green likes this.
post #14502 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Quote:
Can someone answer these simply questions for me just to put my mind at ease and help me finally stop stressing and loosing the will to live!

Congrats on your purchase, and I'm sure there are more than a few people in this thread that went through the same nervousness before delivery, not completely sure we made the correct (expensive) choice. For most of us, that fear melted away when we hooked it up and saw those glorious OLED pixels and black levels.

As for burn-in, just turn off the TV when no one's watching it. I don't think I've seen a single report of burn-in on a C9: it's be out over a year, and there's some serious TV watchers and gamers around here. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Thank you. I’m nervous but excited!!! I’ve already bought my son the fast and furious boxset 4K disc in pure excitement then realised I haven’t a 4K player! Lol! I’ve asked a couple of time’s about how I check my panel when I first get it. I’ve seen grey scale and screen burn test patterns on utube, will I use those? What am I looking for and tell me about banding? Please.
post #14503 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
That’s very helpful and I’ll take that onboard. I have seen grey scale and burn I test on Utube. Should I used these to check my panel? Plus I’ve heard about panel lottery on here, how do I test my panel when I first get it and how do I know if it’s a good panel?
You can probably run all your tests via youtube with regard to BOTH burn in checks and uniformity greyscale slides.
Just do a search and use what works best to you.

I added one edit to that long response of mine and wanted to make sure you understand that when you check for image retention, it needs to be done right after a big gaming viewing session so that you can "catch" the extent of it when it is most flared up - if it is occurring at all. Your tv will "calm" down over night. But that isn't enough to keep these things from happening.

With regard to panel uniformity, I would direct you to the AVS thread on panel uniformity. There is MUCH discussion and posted pics here about this very troubling topic.

It is here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...tting-295.html

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-19-2020 at 02:40 PM.
post #14504 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:35 PM

Sorry, another member explained about RB grey scale slides but what am I looking for? Does banding improve with age or get worse or what?
post #14505 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Sorry, another member explained about RB grey scale slides but what am I looking for? Does banding improve with age or get worse or what?
I’ve seen some nasty panels on this thread before and after 100 hours that have turned into almost perfect panels. Think the consensus was that wear helps banding but not tinting.
post #14506 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Does anyone know if LG will fix the raised blacks issue in Dolby Vision content on the Apple TV 4K? Doesn’t happen on the internal Netflix app or Dolby Vision content on 4K Blu-ray Discs.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C, 4x RP-500SA’s and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED C9 65 inch
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #14507 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:41 PM

Everyone loves OLEDS but they all warn about burn in with them - as if it's not a matter of if, but when. This is FALSE.

What puts this all in perspective is that if you look at pictures on the net or youtube videos, of extreme burn in, there isn't a tv that didn't/doesn't show the EXACT news show or game that the person had on for hours and hours and days and days without a care in the world. It is literally "burned" right into the screen. There's no "general ambiguous" burn-in that "mysteriously" takes over the tv.

People see this, and then blame the tech rather than the carelessness of the owner. IF someone doesn't want to worry about this at all, yes an LED tv would be best for them. But the blanket judgements against OLEDs needs to rest with the owners- not the tvs.

It's so frustrating to read from people who say, "I bought this stupid expensive tv and just "watched my shows in stuff with it, and then SUDDENLY it got burn in!" It doesn't work that way. I guarantee you, these people hadn't a thought, clue, or care about ANY of their viewing habits and treated their sets not as if they "could" get burn in, but rather as if they were IMPERVIOUS to it!
mboojigga likes this.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-19-2020 at 03:08 PM.
post #14508 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
For most of us, that fear melted away when we hooked it up and saw those glorious OLED pixels and black levels.
He ain't lying! If anything, this is an UNDERSTATEMENT!
DaverJ likes this.
post #14509 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:45 PM

I heard about banding and screen burn but not tinting? I’m getting more nervous now! My tv will be here in 9 days and now I hear about tinting? Another thing to worry about. Can someone explain it please if you don’t mind?
post #14510 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I heard about banding and screen burn but not tinting? I’m getting more nervous now! My tv will be here in 9 days and now I hear about tinting? Another thing to worry about. Can someone explain it please if you don’t mind?
Try to relax.

While you are waiting for your tv, read that forum thread I gave you. It will answer most of your questions.
(I've done enough "pay if forward" for one day.) Others more in the "know" can add what they like.

Hopefully where you are at, you have a generous return policy in place to take any and all potential "thorns" out of this.

But you have a great chance that all of this will be just fine. Most people are just fine and the few that have problems, I have read from posters here that they find that the benefits of these tvs far outweigh any minor uniformity problems they may have.

You are already doing it just right. You picked one of the best tvs in the world.
Try not to "anticipate" these problems. That is the problem with reading posts from all of us rabid OCD videophiles.

Most people just buy these sets, love them and never heard of AVS or uniformity issues.

"With much knowledge, comes much . . . stress."
DaverJ and coldharbor like this.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-19-2020 at 03:05 PM.
post #14511 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I heard about banding and screen burn but not tinting? I’️m getting more nervous now! My tv will be here in 9 days and now I hear about tinting? Another thing to worry about. Can someone explain it please if you don’️t mind?
Try to relax.

While you are waiting for your tv, read that forum thread I gave you. It will answer most of your questions.
(I've done enough "pay if forward" for one day.)[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] Others more in the "know" can add what they like.

Hopefully where you are at, you have a generous return policy in place to take any and all potential "thorns" out of this.

But you have a great chance that all of this will be just fine. Most people are just fine and the few that have problems, I have read from posters here that they find that the benefits of these tvs far outweigh any minor uniformity problems they may have.

You are already doing it just right. You picked one of the best tvs in the world.
Try not to "anticipate" these problems. That is the problem with reading posts from all of us rabid OCD videophiles.

Most people just buy these sets, love them and never heard of AVS or uniformity issues.

"With much knowledge, comes much . . . stress."[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
I appreciate all ur input. I’m really really OCD when it come to TVs. I couldn’t sleep when I had my Q90R. I used to actively get up in the middle of the night if I had an idea to try and make the picture better. Just wasn’t happy with it, didn’t like the non pop image of gaming and HDR was just so so so dark with no detail. Honestly it kept me awake at night and would often be on my mind when I was out with the wife and kids. I’m terrible!
Sargon 1 likes this.
post #14512 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I appreciate all ur input. I’m really really OCD when it come to TVs. I couldn’t sleep when I had my Q90R. I used to actively get up in the middle of the night if I had an idea to try and make the picture better. Just wasn’t happy with it, didn’t like the non pop image of gaming and HDR was just so so so dark with no detail. Honestly it kept me awake at night and would often be on my mind when I was out with the wife and kids. I’m terrible!
Long time no see "BROTHER"!:

WE were SEPARATED at birth.

Unholy crap! I thought I was the only one who did all these things!
post #14513 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I appreciate all ur input. I’️m really really OCD when it come to TVs. I couldn’️t sleep when I had my Q90R. I used to actively get up in the middle of the night if I had an idea to try and make the picture better. Just wasn’️t happy with it, didn’️t like the non pop image of gaming and HDR was just so so so dark with no detail. Honestly it kept me awake at night and would often be on my mind when I was out with the wife and kids. I’️m terrible!
Long time no see "BROTHER"![IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG]:

WE were SEPARATED at birth.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Unholy crap! I thought I was the only one who did all these things![IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

Lol! Honestly even one told me how good the Samsung Q90 R was so I bought one. Most people would just watch it and be happy. Me and the Mrs could never get through a single film because instead of me watching the film I’m looking at the screen analysing everything then pausing the movie to adjust settings! I’m terrible.The Q90r was the first HDR tv I got. When I blasted up amazon prime, Disney or Netflix in HDR is was just so dark we ended up just watching 4K SDR. To tell you the truth I wasn’t wowed by it, it’s wasn’t really much different to my old ju7000? Playing games it always looked like something was missing? Nothing popped, no wow look at this show off my tv moments or anything? Maybe I’m just to fussy? I don’t know but I remember getting my ju7000 and putting a 4k film on and almost falling over at the picture! I want that again! I want to actually see what this HDR movies stuff is all about? If I was going to show off a movie on the Q90R I would always make sure HDR was NOT on. Trust me I tired every setting and every combo I could find from forums and ratings and lol that stuff but was just not good.
post #14514 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was pretty much set on getting a Sony X950g due to the "burn in" issue. I am excited by reading this forum that maybe I should get an OLED. There are still a few 55 C9's kicking around and I am pretty set on getting one. My big issue is that I currently have a Sony STR-DH550 receiver that I am running all my video sources thru. I would like to keep the receiver till ones start coming out that have HDMI 2.1. Should I run all my video sources thru the TV first? I currently have a PS4 and cable box. I plan on getting a PS5. Till the Ps5 comes out I plan on getting a 4k UHD Blu Ray player. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks so much! I also posted this in B9 forum since I may get one of those if I cant find a C9. And who knows I may end up with a BX.
Sargon 1 likes this.
post #14515 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This may be a stupid question, but the C9 stand is so short I'm thinking I might need something to raise it up on my TV table to put a soundbar in front of it. Has anyone here done that and what solutions have you used?
post #14516 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 4258
Quote:
Originally Posted by macindc View Post
This may be a stupid question, but the C9 stand is so short I'm thinking I might need something to raise it up on my TV table to put a soundbar in front of it. Has anyone here done that and what solutions have you used?

Not a stupid question. Yes, I have a 55" C9 on this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0122TVI7U/
post #14517 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Lol! Honestly even one told me how good the Samsung Q90 R was so I bought one. Most people would just watch it and be happy. Me and the Mrs could never get through a single film because instead of me watching the film I’m looking at the screen analysing everything then pausing the movie to adjust settings! I’m terrible.The Q90r was the first HDR tv I got. When I blasted up amazon prime, Disney or Netflix in HDR is was just so dark we ended up just watching 4K SDR. To tell you the truth I wasn’t wowed by it, it’s wasn’t really much different to my old ju7000? Playing games it always looked like something was missing? Nothing popped, no wow look at this show off my tv moments or anything? Maybe I’m just to fussy? I don’t know but I remember getting my ju7000 and putting a 4k film on and almost falling over at the picture! I want that again! I want to actually see what this HDR movies stuff is all about? If I was going to show off a movie on the Q90R I would always make sure HDR was NOT on. Trust me I tired every setting and every combo I could find from forums and ratings and lol that stuff but was just not good.
I personally think the "concept" of HDR is a bit overrated in a world dominated by a 100 year tradition of SDR film. (If you don't know my settings, please don't insist they are wrong. It's a "film" preference thing thank you). But yes, both SDR and HDR looks great on these sets.

I also found HDR to be too dim until I ditched the Sony X700 player for the Panasonic 420. HDR looks as it should - bright (enough) and very dynamic.

People like you and me need to keep in mind that NO tv is going to be PERFECT. Searching for the unattainable will yield nothing. People like us don't "own" tvs; We "return" them.

But the good news is, this LG is the FIRST tv I actually got to the point where I just (gulp).. . watch it!

(Yes, it took me a good 3 months to adjust the heck out of it. Find new settings that would then change the variables on the old, and then re-set everything and then start all over when I found out my blu-ray players sucked).

But FINALLY I just "watch" and I will admit to you and the world that it is almost "uncomfortable" - I'm that used to having a relationship with my tv that I constantly adjust it to the dismay of anyone watching it with me. And when I'm not feeling good about my tv or settings, I don't even want to watch a movie with someone. I want to "fix" it instead.

But not anymore. This is a WONDERFUL problem. For the first time, I'm getting used to not having my "trusty remote" in my hand while watching a movie.

Hope you get that same elusive experience with your LG OLEd Sy!
coldharbor likes this.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-19-2020 at 07:49 PM.
post #14518 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked: 9022
Quote:
Ok. I know I’ve been a pain, asked 10 thousand questions and probably came across really stupid but I’ve finally done it, just this minute ordered a 55C9 from Currys website for £1299. I’m really hoping I’ve made the right choice.
Good choice of TV, worst possible choice of retailer. Forget any after-sales service or swaps if you have banding and tinting. Pity you didn't order from Richer Sounds who are fantastic with service and will also give you a 5 year warranty for free.

ps. Other people have already said, but your usage will be fine. Just always leave it in standby 24/7 and let it run its compensation cycles overnight. There is a very good FAQ thread for the 2019 models which addresses many of the questions you're asking - have a read of it

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 05-19-2020 at 03:52 PM.
post #14519 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked: 9022
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
Does anyone know if LG will fix the raised blacks issue in Dolby Vision content on the Apple TV 4K? Doesn’t happen on the internal Netflix app or Dolby Vision content on 4K Blu-ray Discs.
It's not for LG to fix - so the answer is "certainly not". The fault is in the Apple TV device, as you said in your post. It's for APPLE to fix, nothing to do with LG.
helvetica bold likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #14520 of 15535 Old 05-19-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitish View Post
I was pretty much set on getting a Sony X950g due to the "burn in" issue. I am excited by reading this forum that maybe I should get an OLED. There are still a few 55 C9's kicking around and I am pretty set on getting one. My big issue is that I currently have a Sony STR-DH550 receiver that I am running all my video sources thru. I would like to keep the receiver till ones start coming out that have HDMI 2.1. Should I run all my video sources thru the TV first? I currently have a PS4 and cable box. I plan on getting a PS5. Till the Ps5 comes out I plan on getting a 4k UHD Blu Ray player. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks so much! I also posted this in B9 forum since I may get one of those if I cant find a C9. And who knows I may end up with a BX.
The X950 G is a wonderful tv. My close friend bought an 85 inch one and I was blown away by it. Nice X/Y filter on the larger models too. In fact, it was that very tv that got me on the search for another one for me. What was a game changer for me is that the upscaling on his set for blu-rays was unbelievable. I own 900 blu-rays and thought I was going to have to replace them if I went 4K. That series of tv has the absolute best depth of any tv I have ever seen. You can even confirm this on the Best Buy displays.

But I went with the LG OLED instead especially after confirming some local dimming issues with the X950. The LG plays my blu-rays with the same authority of the Sony even though the Sony is known for upscaling. Personally I think the Sony shows this more with 720 and below content.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-19-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , directional hdmi , hdmi , judder , lg c9 , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , lgoled , Marantz , motion , oled , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels , soundbar advice , sr5012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page