2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 486 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8968Likes

post #14551 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 38
[QUOTE=Sargon 1;59676884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Ok! Take a deep breath and try to stop panicking. It'll be fine. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] The TV won't "go wrong" as in be faulty, but if you read the uniformity thread you've been pointed to, you will see that sometimes you can be unlucky and get a 'bad' one with poor uniformity near black. If you'd bought that unlucky one from the bad retailer (Curries) they would argue and say "tough, it's not faulty" and fob you off. They are despicable people and I hate them. Can't be clearer than that. My advice is only for your peace of mind, and to support a good retailer who deserves to thrive, and not to give money to a very very bad retailer who would have gone bust years ago if there had been any justice.

In general, Richer Sounds' reputation tramples all over Curries. I personally had a swap from Richer Sounds 1 month after I got my first C8, thanks to the encouragement of the people on that thread. Richer were great - they let me set up the replacement TV in their demo room, and check it for myself before I left the shop! You'll see my posts and my pictures in that thread if you search. Curries, on the other hand, are a bunch of crooks who will lie to your face and refuse to honour your consumer rights (when things are actually faulty, not just subjective things like an OLED panel being poor). I won't even buy batteries from them now. But don't take my word for it, do a search and you'll read the horror stories (from both sides overall, but more for one than the other):

At the end of the day it's your decision of course. Good luck [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Big thank-you for your advice mrtickleuk!
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14552 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy17 View Post
Now I’m looking at maybe pairing it with a PANASONIC UB820 4K player..... Might have to wait till I’m back at work though......
Awesome player. I have the 420 (much less expensive) which performs the same with the exception of no DV.
These players, including the 420, are LOADED with options that literally DWARF all other offerings.

My Sony X700 is the most "impressive" looking in SDR. It has great detail and presentation and DV (no auto detect) but the 24p cadence is "slightly" off.

The LG player auto detects HDR vs DV.
I returned the LG player. Second one I've purchased over the years. If the tvs were anything like these K-mart quality players, I'd never have bought an LG in the first place. Fewest controls and horrible motion.

The Panasonic's HDR is much brighter than the Sony X700. (I was hating HDR until I switched players).
It is also more DYNAMIC than the Sony even though it is brighter. No luminosity leveling going on here.
Finally the film like cadence of the 420 as well as all my other Panasonic players are SPOT on.
RachelS likes this.
post #14553 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Ok! Take a deep breath and try to stop panicking. It'll be fine. The TV won't "go wrong" as in be faulty, but if you read the uniformity thread you've been pointed to, you will see that sometimes you can be unlucky and get a 'bad' one with poor uniformity near black. If you'd bought that unlucky one from the bad retailer (Curries) they would argue and say "tough, it's not faulty" and fob you off. They are despicable people and I hate them. Can't be clearer than that. My advice is only for your peace of mind, and to support a good retailer who deserves to thrive, and not to give money to a very very bad retailer who would have gone bust years ago if there had been any justice.

In general, Richer Sounds' reputation tramples all over Curries. I personally had a swap from Richer Sounds 1 month after I got my first C8, thanks to the encouragement of the people on that thread. Richer were great - they let me set up the replacement TV in their demo room, and check it for myself before I left the shop! You'll see my posts and my pictures in that thread if you search. Curries, on the other hand, are a bunch of crooks who will lie to your face and refuse to honour your consumer rights (when things are actually faulty, not just subjective things like an OLED panel being poor). I won't even buy batteries from them now. But don't take my word for it, do a search and you'll read the horror stories (from both sides overall, but more for one than the other):

At the end of the day it's your decision of course. Good luck

Just to chime in here...

I purchased my 65C9 from Currys on Boxing Day (NEVER AGAIN - it was like hell on earth). Sure, the service in store is crap and I would have much rather gone with JL first, and then Richer Sounds - but neither had it in stock.

The tv has been superb. No issues. I did take the extended warranty just in case (I know), as my main concern was burn in. However, seems LG would cover that themselves (according to many people who have had it happen to them).

Mind you - they might be fine in my experience because I’ve not had any reason to contact them (thankfully!)....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrtickleuk and 22Green like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14554 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
Awesome player.

The LG player auto detects HDR vs DV.
I returned the LG player. Fewest controls and horrible motion.
The 820 is second to only the Oppo players and I’ve read some people prefer the 820 on OLEDs especially due to the HDR tone mapping feature. Wish I had the dough for it. If you have the cash for it, it’s well worth the investment.

For the price the LG UBK90 does a good job. My Walmart edition was super cheap (1/4 the price of the 820 on a decent sale). I don’t seem to have the cadence issues you seem to struggle with (sends exactly the same 24Hz as my tweaked Madvr HTPC) but I do agree, the features and controls are horrendous. I bought it for the auto switching DV support but I sure do wish I had more control over the processing. I have my dream TV though so life’s all good .
Sargon 1 likes this.
post #14555 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What is one of the best settings ( i know every tv is different) that i can apply to my 55 inch c9. Just bought it and none of the settings pop to me. Any link to a post on this thread or any other site? Searched this topic but couldnt find anything
post #14556 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy17 View Post
Not sure if 5 hours session will be good for the tv though. Would 3 hours be ok do you think? Do you game?
The more interesting question would be, "is five hours of gaming everyday good for me?" The display will be fine as long as that is NOT the only thing that you do with it, day after day after day after day after....
Sargon 1 and 22Green like this.

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #14557 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked: 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixerz4ev3r View Post
What is one of the best settings ( i know every tv is different) that i can apply to my 55 inch c9. Just bought it and none of the settings pop to me. Any link to a post on this thread or any other site? Searched this topic but couldnt find anything
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled/settings
stevec325 likes this.

lujan
697 Ultra HD
742 HD
4 SD
post #14558 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just set up a 65" C9 that's new-to-me refurb. According to the settings, it has around 600 hours on it.

Panel looks great except for 1 dead pixel in the top middle of the screen. I was not happy when I saw it, so I opened a support case with LG and they're sending someone out.

Some googling says that it's not all that uncommon for some dead pixels. Am I just playing the panel lottery if this gets replaced - is it bound to happen anyway? Just sucks to find that my newly purchased, expensive TV has a small black pixel even though it's not something I can tell from normal viewing at a distance, obviously.

Trying to determine how I proceed...
post #14559 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
The 820 is second to only the Oppo players and I’ve read some people prefer the 820 on OLEDs especially due to the HDR tone mapping feature. Wish I had the dough for it. If you have the cash for it, it’s well worth the investment.

For the price the LG UBK90 does a good job. My Walmart edition was super cheap (1/4 the price of the 820 on a decent sale). I don’t seem to have the cadence issues you seem to struggle with (sends exactly the same 24Hz as my tweaked Madvr HTPC) but I do agree, the features and controls are horrendous. I bought it for the auto switching DV support but I sure do wish I had more control over the processing. I have my dream TV though so life’s all good .
From what I read, the 420 has the same processing-guts as the 820 and looks identical (at least what people are reporting).

The big difference is the price, the ability to do DV, and the build quality is better.

I liked my 420 so much, I bought two. One for the "rainy" day when no one sells good blu-ray players for my 900+ blu rays.
Samsung stopped producing them. Oppo - is out now.
Actually (two) players isn't my stopping point either. I've used up at least 5-6 players in the last 10 years from other manufacturers.
So "an extra one" will only go so far. My "arsenal" of SDR Panny players are still going strong. None broke. The Samsungs - R.I.P.

I have more movies than I can watch for the rest of my life. I just want to ensure I can watch them.
Of course, I'll end up having to buy the "HDMI adaptor" so it will work on the tvs of the future that have long abandoned support for blu-rays. (That happened with audio. You had to get a "phono" adaptor to hook up a turntable. But now vinyl has made a big resurgence! So I'm starting to see gear with phono inputs again).

What I've noticed with audio - turntables is that the middle priced market completely dried up when CDs took over
You could get cheap turntables for 120 and mid-range ones from 350-800, and then the top 2000 dollar ones like Linn.

Today, you can get cheap junk or 2000 or 10,000 dollar turntables. Nothing much in between.
I see the same future for blu-rays, only worse, especially if Oppo, the "Linn" of blu-ray players is done.

Streaming is compressed and I just prefer physical media - CDs, Records, Blu-Rays. I feel more "connected" to what I'm watching/listening to. Very psychological.

Others are fine "turning on the radio" or scrolling through streaming menus looking for their "movie of the night."

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-20-2020 at 02:33 PM.
post #14560 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 128
RTings published their CX review and this part struck me as odd:

Quote:
1080p @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4
Yes
1080p @ 120 Hz
Yes (native support)
1440p @ 60 Hz
Yes (native support)
1440p @ 120 Hz
Yes (native support)
4k @ 60 Hz
Yes
4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4
Yes
4k @ 120 Hz
Yes (native support)
8k @ 30 Hz or 24 Hz
No
8k @ 60 Hz
No
Compare this with the same section in the C9 review:
Quote:
1080p @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4
Yes
1080p @ 120 Hz
Yes (native support)
1440p @ 60 Hz
Yes (forced resolution required)
1440p @ 120 Hz
Yes (native support)
4k @ 60 Hz
Yes
4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:4:4
Yes
8k @ 30 Hz or 24 Hz
No
8k @ 60 Hz
No
Even though they go on to say the following in the C9 review:

Quote:
LG advertises that the C9 supports a 4k @ 120Hz input from external devices, but unlike the Samsung Q90R, it appears that this only works with HDMI 2.1 sources, as we were unable to get it to work. We will retest this once we have an HDMI 2.1 source.
So, why not list 4K @ 120Hz in the support resolutions section?

Of course, they list this caveat on the CX:

Quote:
The CX doesn't support full bandwidth HDMI 2.1. It only has 40Gbps ports capable of 4k @ 120Hz @ 4:4:4 10-bit instead of 48Gbps ports which would be able to reach 12-bit, but we don't expect this to make any noticeable difference.
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but the benefit the C9 has over the CX is its true 48Gbp HDMI 2.1 inputs. So, until we can confirm with a real device, the theory is that the C9 one-ups the CX in its ability to do 4k @ 120HZ 4:4:4 12-bit?
post #14561 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
RTings published their CX review and this part struck me as odd:

Compare this with the same section in the C9 review:

Even though they go on to say the following in the C9 review:

So, why not list 4K @ 120Hz in the support resolutions section?

Of course, they list this caveat on the CX:

Correct me, if I'm wrong, but the benefit the C9 has over the CX is its true 48Gbp HDMI 2.1 inputs. So, until we can confirm with a real device, the theory is that the C9 one-ups the CX in its ability to do 4k @ 120HZ 4:4:4 12-bit?
Should be. Only time will tell. So far I'm one strike out with my 4400 and c9 with eARC....

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #14562 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Should be. Only time will tell. So far I'm one strike out with my 4400 and c9 with eARC....

You might want to look into this as a work around for your eARC issue. Also do a check on this forum as several members have tried this out and it works for them.
https://www.amazon.com/Thenaudio-SHA...0017756&sr=8-5

LG OLED65C9PUA; Denon AVR-X4500H, 7.2.4 ATMOS
LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-X6300H also rocking 7.2.4 ATMOS goodness!
Samsung UN65HU9000FXZA (TS01) with SEK-3500U/ZA Evolution Kit, Onkyo TX-RZ1100
post #14563 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a Denon x4400h, as well, so I feel ya on the eARC thing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post
You might want to look into this as a work around for your eARC issue. Also do a check on this forum as several members have tried this out and it works for them.
But I did buy this and it is working perfectly. The only drawback is having to lose an HDMI port on both the TV and the AVR. So far, though, it's a helluva lot better than the alternative of buying a whole new AVR, when the x4400h is no slouch.
post #14564 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Spending$150 on something that should just work doesn't work

post #14565 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post
I just set up a 65" C9 that's new-to-me refurb. According to the settings, it has around 600 hours on it.

Panel looks great except for 1 dead pixel in the top middle of the screen. I was not happy when I saw it, so I opened a support case with LG and they're sending someone out.

Some googling says that it's not all that uncommon for some dead pixels. Am I just playing the panel lottery if this gets replaced - is it bound to happen anyway? Just sucks to find that my newly purchased, expensive TV has a small black pixel even though it's not something I can tell from normal viewing at a distance, obviously.

Trying to determine how I proceed...
If you can’t see it in your normal viewing distance I would be hesitant about sucking up your one replacement panel (LG only replaces once per unit). Understand the bummer though. You did get a TV with fewer hours than me - mine had 800 on it.

Quote:
Streaming is compressed and I just prefer physical media - CDs, Records, Blu-Rays. I feel more "connected" to what I'm watching/listening to. Very psychological.
I really love physical media - just have never had the space or money. Hoping both will be changing soon!
post #14566 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Spending$150 on something that should just work doesn't work

I don’t understand your post. The Sharc does work. And not only does it work, it works exactly as advertised.

Unless you’re talking about the Denon, but it’s outside of our hands. LG says it’s Denon and Denon is not working towards a fix (or isn’t saying one way or the other). I feel pretty fortunate that Then Audio is even making a product like the Sharc. $150 > the cost of a whole new AVR.
CyberScott likes this.
post #14567 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelS View Post
If you can’t see it in your normal viewing distance I would be hesitant about sucking up your one replacement panel (LG only replaces once per unit). Understand the bummer though. You did get a TV with fewer hours than me - mine had 800 on it.
Single replacement panel. Is that documented anywhere (I'm in the US if that matters as I know warranties vary based on region and applicable laws)? It would suck to get a replacement and it develop similar issues (or worse) and not be able to get that fixed...

If that's indeed the case, perhaps I'll wait and see how I feel toward the end of my year warranty period.
post #14568 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post
Single replacement panel. Is that documented anywhere? It would suck to get a replacement and it develop similar issues (or worse) and not be able to get that fixed...

If that's indeed the case, perhaps I'll wait and see how I feel toward the end of my year warranty period.
Not written anywhere but there are many people who have tried to get second panels on the internet and have been unsuccessful and told LG only does one replacement. LGs policies are a bit cloak and dagger on this but from what I’ve read I wouldn’t risk it until later in the warranty period. Also keep in mind LG usually replaces burned in panels up to 4 or 5 years after purchase. Granted all of this is word of mouth but seems to be consistent enough to put together. YMMV.
NNate and Sargon 1 like this.
post #14569 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 07:17 PM

Liked: 1
IS the LG OLED work with eARC
post #14570 of 15675 Old 05-20-2020, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Can anyone tell me if they prefer the picture quality of the built in apps ie “Netflix” “Prime Video” etc etc or is the picture quality better on APPLE 4K tv?
post #14571 of 15675 Old 05-21-2020, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
[quote=Sy17;59678652]
Quote:
Big thank-you for your advice mrtickleuk!
I've had similar experiences with Curry's in the past. I just bought a CX from John Lewis and had to exchange it (bad panel, see thread) and they dealt with it immediately and also suggested I swap it for a C9 and pocket the change! Very impressed by their tech support. Also comes with 5yr guarantee included, although for the above exchange I was in their immediate return window anyway. Still doesn't change the panel lottery itself though, just the aftermath.
Sargon 1 and mrtickleuk like this.
post #14572 of 15675 Old 05-21-2020, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don’t understand your post. The Sharc does work. And not only does it work, it works exactly as advertised.

Unless you’re talking about the Denon, but it’s outside of our hands. LG says it’s Denon and Denon is not working towards a fix (or isn’t saying one way or the other). I feel pretty fortunate that Then Audio is even making a product like the Sharc. $150 > the cost of a whole new AVR.
I'm talking about the Denon. It's advertised to support a function yet it doesn't work. I guess it's good to have the sharc as a fallback. I'm going to see what Denon does first.

post #14573 of 15675 Old 05-21-2020, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
It's just a paper benefit.

People forget that the C9 (and CX) panels are 10-bit. Why would you need to force 12 bit onto them and have the TV do unnecessary work to downsample them again? Also, movies on UHD BD isn't going to be 12-bit ever due to the lack of space. Games? Uh lol... they're still made on 8-bit monitors (hell many are still on 6 bit with FRC lmao), mastered on the same 10-bit LG or Sony OLEDs we have in the studio.

Doesn't discount LG from coming right out of the door and said their 2020 line up will not feature the full 48gbps though and quietly tried to assume people wouldn't notice though. It's the typical Korean way of doing things.
Sargon 1 likes this.
post #14574 of 15675 Old 05-21-2020, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
It's just a paper benefit.

People forget that the C9 (and CX) panels are 10-bit. Why would you need to force 12 bit onto them and have the TV do unnecessary work to downsample them again? Also, movies on UHD BD isn't going to be 12-bit ever due to the lack of space. Games? Uh lol... they're still made on 8-bit monitors (hell many are still on 6 bit with FRC lmao), mastered on the same 10-bit LG or Sony OLEDs we have in the studio.

Doesn't discount LG from coming right out of the door and said their 2020 line up will not feature the full 48gbps though and quietly tried to assume people wouldn't notice though. It's the typical Korean way of doing things.

Quite. There’s some chat though on the CX gaming thread (I’m not a gamer but read it) about some graphics cards not output the 10-bit mode but will do 12-bit, which CX won’t take. But that’s really a GPU/TV compatibility issue. At the end of the day it’s a 10 bit panel so any advantage of 12 bit has to be marginal data processing in how to boil down the 2 extra bit depth.

22Green likes this.
post #14575 of 15675 Old 05-21-2020, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Can someone explain what I should do to ‘break in’ my new C9? Should I avoid using hdr for the first 100 hours at all?
post #14576 of 15675 Old 05-21-2020, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Acington View Post
Can someone explain what I should do to ‘break in’ my new C9? Should I avoid using hdr for the first 100 hours at all?
Just watch it

D Bone, Sargon 1, Vg247 and 1 others like this.
post #14577 of 15675 Old 05-21-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Acington View Post
Think that involves oil, a baseball, and a bungee cord. Oh wait. Wait that’s not right - I’m thinking of a baseball mitt. Dang I miss baseball.

Just watch and enjoy.
22Green likes this.
post #14578 of 15675 Old 05-21-2020, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
Quite. There’s some chat though on the CX gaming thread (I’m not a gamer but read it) about some graphics cards not output the 10-bit mode but will do 12-bit, which CX won’t take. But that’s really a GPU/TV compatibility issue. At the end of the day it’s a 10 bit panel so any advantage of 12 bit has to be marginal data processing in how to boil down the 2 extra bit depth.

I’ve been reading the same and then problem is let’s say the CX and the GPU are talking.

LG CX “Hey GPU give me 10-bit color”
GPU “I only output 12-bit color”
LG CX “Ok I can’t accept 12-bit color”
GPU “How about 8-bit color ?”
LG CX “Yeah sure”
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #14579 of 15675 Old 05-21-2020, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So the cable going from the sharc back to the AVR. Does that need a eARC cable? I'm guessing yes?

post #14580 of 15675 Old 05-21-2020, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
Quote:
So the cable going from the sharc back to the AVR. Does that need a eARC cable? I'm guessing yes?
No. Only the cable from the C9 to the share needs to be an eARC cable.

The sharc converts eARC to regular HDMI audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , directional hdmi , hdmi , judder , lg c9 , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , lgoled , Marantz , motion , oled , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels , soundbar advice , sr5012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page