2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 489 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8911Likes

post #14641 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticusf View Post
Dumb question about my C9--I have a Denon 2600, and can bring up its setup menu when I'm using cable, Xbox, or Apple TV inputs. However, if I'm in one of the LG apps (Disney+, for example), the menu does not display on TV (although I can tell I'm in the menu via the text on the Denon's front display). Is this because of how eARC/HDMI works? Is there a workaround so I can see the AVR setup menu while in one of the LG apps? If not, no biggie, just curious more than anything else.

If you are running the cable, Xbox, and Apple TV through the Denon, then the TV is displaying the MON Out of the Denon and you will see the AVR's setup menus. However, the C9's internal apps aren't displaying the Denon's MON video out (you are only hearing the sound), so you won't see the Denon's setup menu for this mode.
This is, as you said, how eARC works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14642 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Dumb question about my C9--I have a Denon 2600, and can bring up its setup menu when I'm using cable, Xbox, or Apple TV inputs. However, if I'm in one of the LG apps (Disney+, for example), the menu does not display on TV (although I can tell I'm in the menu via the text on the Denon's front display). Is this because of how eARC/HDMI works? Is there a workaround so I can see the AVR setup menu while in one of the LG apps? If not, no biggie, just curious more than anything else.

Thanks!
Totally normal. Use the web browser control feature (page 137 & 138 of the manual) and you can change **all settings right from your computer. You can also use the Denon Remote app as well, but I much prefer the web browser control.

**About the only settings that you can't control from your computer is the master volume and sound field modes.... both of those are easily controlled by your remote.

Controlling the AVR from my laptop is a game changer, yet most people don't even know it exists.
post #14643 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenster3000 View Post
NTFS is working fine on my C9.
I wonder what silly mistake I'm making that is keeping it from working fine on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14644 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
If you are running the cable, Xbox, and Apple TV through the Denon, then the TV is displaying the MON Out of the Denon and you will see the AVR's setup menus. However, the C9's internal apps aren't displaying the Denon's MON video out (you are only hearing the sound), so you won't see the Denon's setup menu for this mode.
This is, as you said, how eARC works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
Totally normal. Use the web browser control feature (page 137 & 138 of the manual) and you can change **all settings right from your computer. You can also use the Denon Remote app as well, but I much prefer the web browser control.

**About the only settings that you can't control from your computer is the master volume and sound field modes.... both of those are easily controlled by your remote.

Controlling the AVR from my laptop is a game changer, yet most people don't even know it exists.
Thanks, guys! I didn't know you control settings via browser. Good to know.

OK, so this gets to the heart of my even dumber/actual question--can I use this method (ie, with browser) to increase vol levels for the LG apps (ie, master volume for eARC)? The volume for apps is a little low vs. what I get for cable/XBox/Apple TV via AVR. Again, if not, not a biggie, but would be surprised if there isn't a way to do this.
post #14645 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
Quote:

OK, so this gets to the heart of my even dumber/actual question--can I use this method (ie, with browser) to increase vol levels for the LG apps (ie, master volume for eARC)? The volume for apps is a little low vs. what I get for cable/XBox/Apple TV via AVR. Again, if not, not a biggie, but would be surprised if there isn't a way to do this.

The Denon's or the C9's remote should control volume for the apps, assuming you have "HDMI Control" turned on in the Denon's setup options.
post #14646 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I wonder what silly mistake I'm making that is keeping it from working fine on mine.
Did you use a third-party program to format your USB drive as NTFS?
If yes: Maybe this is causing problems.

I always use Windows 10 for that. Right click on the USB drive => Format.
If that does not work diskpart may help you (note that your data on the stick will be wiped):

Spoiler!

After that your TV should detect your stick just fine. If not... then I am out of ideas.
22Green likes this.

Last edited by fenster3000; 05-24-2020 at 04:05 PM.
post #14647 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
You are one humble man.

I can't picture you making silly mistakes - ever.
post #14648 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately there is no "Source Level Control" (to raise/lower the incoming signal) for the TV Audio input on the Denon like there is for all other HDMI inputs, so there is no way to raise or lower the C9's onboard apps via the TV Audio input to match your other HDMI input levels.

I noticed the same with my C9 and 2600 through eARC as well, and I need to run it about 5db hotter on the master volume than I do for my Sat box, Roku and UHD Blu-ray player on the other HDMI inputs.

For my cable input (HDMI 1) I was able to increase the source level by +5db which seems to match my Roku and BD inputs perfectly.
post #14649 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Unfortunately there is no "Source Level Control" (to raise/lower the incoming signal) for the TV Audio input on the Denon like there is for all other HDMI inputs, so there is no way to raise or lower the C9's onboard apps via the TV Audio input to match your other HDMI input levels.

I noticed the same with my C9 and 2600 through eARC as well, and I need to run it about 5db hotter on the master volume than I do for my Sat box, Roku and UHD Blu-ray player on the other HDMI inputs.

For my cable input (HDMI 1) I was able to increase the source level by +5db which seems to match my Roku and BD inputs perfectly.
Yep, that's what I meant, and is my experience as well (ie, need to crank volume for LG apps about 5db more relative to other inputs). If I log into Denon Web interface, the source level for the TV input is grayed out. Too bad, but not a big deal. At least now I know. :-)
post #14650 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you use a third-party program to format your USB drive as NTFS?
If yes: Maybe this is causing problems.

I always use Windows 10 for that. Right click on the USB drive => Format.
If that does not work diskpart may help you (note that your data on the stick will be wiped):
No third-party. I'm primarily a MacOS user, but I specifically and exclusively used Windows 10 for this USB drive. I'm hesitant to use diskpart yet, because it will take 8 to 10 hours of computer time to recover the data on the disk if it's wiped. I don't have enough free space on anything else I can easily transfer the files to.

When I go to inputs (along the bottom of the screen) on my C9, the USB doesn't show at all. If I go to Home Dashboard, it does show. However, if I select it, I get a banner that includes "A: Unavailable file system 1." If I select either "PHOTO & VIDEO" or "MUSIC" it does go to the Thumbnail View screen which is empty except for a banner that reads "Your device is disconnected. Please check the connection status." If I click "OK" it takes me to the PHOTO & VIDEO Storage Selection screen, only giving me internal storage selections. The USB drive continues to remain present only in the Home Dashboard.
post #14651 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiresias View Post
Just an update on my bright stuck pixel issue. I figured it likely popped up after the TV ran a compensation cycle (the one after four hours), so between last night and this morning I purposefully put another four hours on the TV so I'd trigger another refresh cycle. I shut the TV off, let it run the cycle, did some yard work, came back and turned everything on and the stuck pixel is gone!

That is good news I suppose, but now I think I'm going to be paranoid it will re-appear every time it does an automatic refresh cycle. At least I didn't have to a full manual pixel refresh to clear it up though. Just have to see if it ever pops up again.
I had a similar issue, though mine was a combination of a line and seemingly stuck pixels, The compensation cycle always triggered it (showed up randomly after it) and now that I've made it more than 2 months since it last happened I think I can safely say it was my stand/mount and the angle I had the screen at. I still have it on the mount but I have it aiming straight as opposed to pitched downward

Never had any issues with a C7 on this same setup in the 2 years I used that before getting the C9
post #14652 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphray View Post

I had a similar issue, though mine was a combination of a line and seemingly stuck pixels, The compensation cycle always triggered it (showed up randomly after it) and now that I've made it more than 2 months since it last happened I think I can safely say it was my stand/mount and the angle I had the screen at. I still have it on the mount but I have it aiming straight as opposed to pitched downward

Never had any issues with a C7 on this same setup in the 2 years I used that before getting the C9
Good insight. Mine is on a wall mount but not angled so far as I can tell, maybe I'll pull out my bubble level tomorrow, but we'll see what happens moving forward. I've gone six months without issue so I'm crossing fingers it might be a one time glitch.

LG C9
Denon X3400H | 5.1.2 | Emotiva B1 LR, C1, E1 Surrounds, A1 Atmos
Panasonic UB820

Last edited by teiresias; 05-24-2020 at 07:07 PM.
post #14653 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After that your TV should detect your stick just fine. If not... then I am out of ideas.
Apparently there was something wrong with my initial formatting of the USB drive. Windows 10 worked fine with it, and detected no errors in it. However my LG C9, my Oppo UDP-203, and my Mac would not correctly recognize it. I let the LG C9 format it this time, and was surprised to find it used NTSF rather than FAT32. It's recognized by all the devices now, and the smaller files I was able to save work fine. I'm rebuilding the big .mkv file on it now.

The only thing I can think of that might have caused the issue was that I did not use the default "Allocation unit size" when I formatted with Windows 10. There was no "Allocation unit size" when formatting with the LG C9. Anyway, I hope I've got it all solved now.
fenster3000 likes this.
post #14654 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HELP! Please.....don't know where to turn, who to ask, so I'm here:
Have NEW [1 month old] LG C9, I have a Nvidia Shield and a Denon X3400H AVR connected to it and it has been WONDERFUL! Until tonight, it had been on 5-6 hours and all of a sudden I think it must have tripped a breaker or something....everything went out....then after a couple of minutes I heard like a WHOOM, and it all fired up again. So thinking maybe the Shielf had overheated and caused this, just in case, I turned it off and turned on OTA TV.....same thing happened.....I think it actually did this 3 times until I shut it down to SEEK HELP/advice.....so, again, that's why I'm here. Any Ideas of what's going on and what do I do???
THANKS......michael
post #14655 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbeavhawk View Post

Have NEW [1 month old] LG C9, I have a Nvidia Shield and a Denon X3400H AVR connected to it and it has been WONDERFUL! Until tonight, it had been on 5-6 hours and all of a sudden I think it must have tripped a breaker or something....everything went out....then after a couple of minutes I heard like a WHOOM, and it all fired up again. So thinking maybe the Shielf had overheated and caused this, just in case, I turned it off and turned on OTA TV.....same thing happened.....I think it actually did this 3 times until I shut it down to SEEK HELP/advice.....so, again, that's why I'm here. Any Ideas of what's going on and what do I do???

THANKS......michael
Sounds like it's overheating, disconnect everything from it and turn it on and see if it happens.

If it does, you can

call LG
Use your warranty
Return it from where you purchased it and get a new one

Only you know what's best for you.

LG OLED C9, C8, C6 / AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 / Xbox One X, S / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch
orbeavhawk likes this.

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #14656 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
THANKS......michael

Does this happen instantly? Have you taken all the plastic off the front and the back of the screen? There are several bits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
orbeavhawk likes this.
post #14657 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
Does this happen instantly? Have you taken all the plastic off the front and the back of the screen? There are several bits.

YES I did remove the protective plastic on both sides.....and YES to previous responder, sure appears like overheating to me too. Because it does not happen right after it starts up....these three times in a row were after watching it for 4-5 hours. Checked my breakers to see how many AMPs they are....I think 15 AMP....can't find out how many AMPs the C9 and AVR + Shield would need?
Hope LG's Support is good to deal with...may have to call tomorrow TKS!
post #14658 of 15605 Old 05-24-2020, 11:28 PM

2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
YES I did remove the protective plastic on both sides.....and YES to previous responder, sure appears like overheating to me too. Because it does not happen right after it starts up....these three times in a row were after watching it for 4-5 hours. Checked my breakers to see how many AMPs they are....I think 15 AMP....can't find out how many AMPs the C9 and AVR + Shield would need?
Hope LG's Support is good to deal with...may have to call tomorrow TKS!

The max power consumption off the back of my 65” C9 says 476W so not a huge amount. If it’s tripping, Houston you have a problem and TV needs returning. Edit: assuming it is the TV of course... isolate & test...

post #14659 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 12:13 AM

[QUOTE=wardie;59703490]The max power consumption off the back of my 65” C9 says 476W so not a huge amount. If it’s tripping, Houston you have a problem and TV needs returning. Edit: assuming it is the TV of course... isolate & test...

I was WRONG about a breaker tripping....so it must be heat related that is shutting everything down and then coming back on again shortly.......what would you recommend, disconnecting the AVR and Shield and then just turning the tv on for 5-7 hours to see IF that would trigger it? OR Should I just go ahead and call LG Support to see what they say to do? TKS
post #14660 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 04:50 AM

[quote=orbeavhawk;59703552]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
The max power consumption off the back of my 65” C9 says 476W so not a huge amount. If it’s tripping, Houston you have a problem and TV needs returning. Edit: assuming it is the TV of course... isolate & test...

I was WRONG about a breaker tripping....so it must be heat related that is shutting everything down and then coming back on again shortly.......what would you recommend, disconnecting the AVR and Shield and then just turning the tv on for 5-7 hours to see IF that would trigger it? OR Should I just go ahead and call LG Support to see what they say to do? TKS

I’m not an electronics expert but this is a consumer device it just shouldn’t do that unless you are using it in an environment way outside the operating temperature range and its overheating. Call LG.

post #14661 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy17 View Post
Can anyone tell me if they prefer the picture quality of the built in apps ie “Netflix” “Prime Video” etc etc or is the picture quality better on APPLE 4K tv?
i personally prefer built in apps. Prime on built in app supports dolby vision, yes it's only 2 shows (Jack Ryan Season One and Bosch Season 2) but the app on the apple TV does not support dolby vision even though the apple TV itself does.

**Netflix actually plays at a higher Mbps on the apple TV than on the TV's built in app. TV looks like it maxes out at 15.25Mbps where as the apple TV maxes out at 24.64Mbps so technically it should look better on the apple TV.

LG OLED77C9 / LG OLED65C9 / LG UP970 / Oppo UDP-203 / Sony HT-Z9F+SA-Z9R / Apple TV 4K / Fire TV Stick 4K / TCL 55P605

Last edited by akadennis; 05-25-2020 at 11:00 AM.
post #14662 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Has anybody purchased a refurbished unit by chance? I have a 55 B6, but have been eager for a larger size. I considered a CX/GX but it seems the reviews aren’t as good. Plus, with a refurb price it seems too good a deal to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14663 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I have 2 questions about the remote. my apologies if it has already been gone over.
1. is there a way to quickly lock/unlock the remote? its too sensitive. Simply touching can trigger something and disturb me
2. is there a way to quickly change the energy saving? would be nice if I could program a button to dim the screen when im reading AVS forums!
post #14664 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Has anybody purchased a refurbished unit by chance? I have a 55 B6, but have been eager for a larger size. I considered a CX/GX but it seems the reviews aren’t as good. Plus, with a refurb price it seems too good a deal to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I picked up a open box 55 c9 from the best buy outlet. It was half the price as new and only had 15 hours on it. I think I got pretty lucky.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #14665 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy17 View Post
Can anyone tell me if they prefer the picture quality of the built in apps ie “Netflix” “Prime Video” etc etc or is the picture quality better on APPLE 4K tv?
i personally prefer built in apps. Prime on built in app supports dolby vision, yes it's only 2 shows (Jack Ryan Season One and Bosch Season 2) but the app on the apple TV does not support dolby vision even though the apple TV itself does. I think the difference with Netflix is debatable. im curious what others think but not sure this is the correct thread to discuss this.
False.

Prime app does support Dolby vision on Apple TV.
post #14666 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Anyone know if the C9 will get the firmware update mentioned in the CX thread?
post #14667 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
"channels" bar coming up?

A search didn't turn up anything, but sorry if I missed it somewhere...

Has anyone else had an issue on the c9 where the 'Channels' left toolbar/menu shows randomly?

This happens to me with relative frequency and I can't identify a cause. At first I thought maybe I bumped the remote, but it's happened even when not, and I can't even find a button on the remote which shows the bar on the left side of the screen and doesn't bring anything else up.

My other guess is some interference the TV is picking up, but I can't imagine what that is either.

No universal remote. Signal is XBox One X => Marantz 6014 => TV, no HDMI control/CEC/etc enabled.
by96 likes this.
post #14668 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminj View Post

Has anyone else had an issue on the c9 where the 'Channels' left toolbar/menu shows randomly?

This happens to me with relative frequency and I can't identify a cause. At first I thought maybe I bumped the remote, but it's happened even when not, and I can't even find a button on the remote which shows the bar on the left side of the screen and doesn't bring anything else up.

My other guess is some interference the TV is picking up, but I can't imagine what that is either.

No universal remote. Signal is XBox One X => Marantz 6014 => TV, no HDMI control/CEC/etc enabled.
It's most likely the remote activating it. Try removing the remote batteries and see if it still happens. That will narrow down the issue somewhat

LG OLED C9, C8, C6 / AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 / Xbox One X, S / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch

Living Room: LG OLED65C9, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedrooms: LG OLED65C8, LG OLED55C6, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
LG C6PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-OLED55C6P.AUS
LG C8PUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
LG C9PUA/AUA Firmware Link https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...LED65C9PUA.AUS
post #14669 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminj View Post

It's the remote. My SVS SB2000 Pro subwoofer will cause this unless I move the remote out of the room.
post #14670 of 15605 Old 05-25-2020, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
It's the remote. My SVS SB2000 Pro subwoofer will cause this unless I move the remote out of the room.

Ah-ha! I have two SB2000 Pros. Is it the bluetooth on them?

How did you narrow it to the subwoofer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , directional hdmi , hdmi , judder , lg c9 , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , lgoled , Marantz , motion , oled , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels , soundbar advice , sr5012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page