2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 493 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8912Likes

post #14761 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Coming from the B7 to the C9. Using it as a monitor for my media center computer. RGB 444 (Full) and Black level High.

Got a couple of questions.

I want to disable all sharpening.

Edge enhancment on. Does that mean bypass. They said it did with the B7. Should I set this to off with the C9? Or is on bypass on c9 also?

Sharpness 10 (default) is that actually zero on the C9, or is a setting of 0 actually zero?

TV: LG 55C9, Sound: Samsung HW-Q80R, HTPC: Ryzen 3600X with 1050Ti

Last edited by magnusr; 05-30-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14762 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post
Could you check that you did not disconnect the audio/video HDMI cable from the BD instead of the audio only cable? You should not have lost sound or video.

Re: "Something different" -- there are two ways to connect. 1) connect your BD's audio/video-out HDMI cable to BD HDMI-out-->HDMI-in BD on AVR to Monitor (ARC) HDMI-out-->TV HDMI(1, 2, 3, or 4), or 2) have your AVR HDMI-out -->TV HDMI2 and BD HDMI-out -->TV HDMI(1, 3, or 4).
Way #1 is a direct connection from your BD to your AVR, then your AVR to your TV. That will provide the most channels of audio, at least for now.
Way #2 is an eARC connection. If your AVR has eARC, that is the easiest way to go, but will have a restriction to stereo on any LPCM signal from your BD. Make sure that you pass "bitmap"; no restriction on that.
Unfortunately I don't think either of these solutions will work (and I get I may be asking for something that is simply not possible). My AVR is a Yamaha RX-A2050. Solution 1 would be routing through the AVR which does not support Dolby Vision passthrough and with this TV I definitely would prioritize Dolby Vision over HD audio. Solution 2 won't work because the AVR only has ARC instead of eARC. I thought my solution of using HDMI A/V 1 OUT on the BD Player to send video only to the TV and the HDMI AUDIO 2 OUT to send audio only to the AVR would work fine with getting the best quality of both formats (and it does), the problem is just all the CEC fighting about which device is active and the TV switching between inputs and the AVR switching between inputs.
post #14763 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusr View Post
I want to disable all sharpening.

Edge enhancment on. Does that mean bypass. They said it did with the B7. Should I set this to off with the C9? Or is on bypass on c9 also?

Sharpness 10 (default) is that actually zero on the C9, or is a setting of 0 actually zero?
The is no Edge Enhancer setting on the C9.

Sharpness 0 is no sharpening.
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14764 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ason12 View Post
Unfortunately I don't think either of these solutions will work (and I get I may be asking for something that is simply not possible). My AVR is a Yamaha RX-A2050. Solution 1 would be routing through the AVR which does not support Dolby Vision passthrough and with this TV I definitely would prioritize Dolby Vision over HD audio. Solution 2 won't work because the AVR only has ARC instead of eARC. I thought my solution of using HDMI A/V 1 OUT on the BD Player to send video only to the TV and the HDMI AUDIO 2 OUT to send audio only to the AVR would work fine with getting the best quality of both formats (and it does), the problem is just all the CEC fighting about which device is active and the TV switching between inputs and the AVR switching between inputs.
You might want to try a CEC blocker between one of your BD's cables and the AVR. For $20, it might be worth a try.
https://smile.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-...0855945&sr=8-1

LG OLED55C9, Firmware v04.80.03 | Denon AVR-X3400H, Firmware v7600-8281-6432-2065 | ATV 4K | Sony UBP-X700 | Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) & HB-1 MK2 (LRSur), Sub VTF-15H MK2, ELAC Atmos | X-Rite i1D3 OEM | 2019 CalMAN Home for LG
post #14765 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ason12 View Post
You might want to try a CEC blocker between one of your BD's cables and the AVR. For $20, it might be worth a try.
https://smile.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-...0855945&sr=8-1
This is a fantastic idea that I didn’t even know existed! Thank you!
post #14766 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Fraracci View Post
I must ADMIT that I am having the exact same issue.

The C9 is a fantastic OLED, but, to my eyes, there is definitevely something wrong with motion/blurriness. I come from a Sony A1 and I never struggled with motion issues (even if that set had its own problems..).
From the moment I started watching videos with the C9, though, I never stopped (even now, 3 months later) trying to find the best combination of motion settings that are acceptable to my eyes.

Note that I am not saying "to my taste", but "to my eyes", because I actually have sight issues when whatching something on the C9: maybe there is something that my brain does not digest in some way....

It's a real pity, because otherwise I could be extremely satisfied.
So I have a e6 and have enjoyed it. I use it for 80% for gaming and rest streaming. Did you guys that upgraded see a noticeable difference and think it was worth it? My plan would be to go from the e6 65 to c9 77? Just trying to figure out if the upgrade would be worth it other then size from an e6. I do plan to get both next gen systems so I realize the HDMI 2.1 features are an upgrade and I do want them. I really want a 75 inch upgrade but what is holding my back is I could save a grand or more on a QLED similar size. I realize the picture is not as good as an OLED but I can be cheap at times. I’d just like to see what you older OLED users think since upgrading. Thanks again all for this thread and the info you provide.
post #14767 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
The is no Edge Enhancer setting on the C9.

Sharpness 0 is no sharpening.
Thanks
mrtickleuk likes this.

TV: LG 55C9, Sound: Samsung HW-Q80R, HTPC: Ryzen 3600X with 1050Ti
post #14768 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRyanSmith View Post
So I have a e6 and have enjoyed it. I use it for 80% for gaming and rest streaming. Did you guys that upgraded see a noticeable difference and think it was worth it? My plan would be to go from the e6 65 to c9 77? Just trying to figure out if the upgrade would be worth it other then size from an e6. I do plan to get both next gen systems so I realize the HDMI 2.1 features are an upgrade and I do want them. I really want a 75 inch upgrade but what is holding my back is I could save a grand or more on a QLED similar size. I realize the picture is not as good as an OLED but I can be cheap at times. I’d just like to see what you older OLED users think since upgrading. Thanks again all for this thread and the info you provide.
I recently sold my 65E6 for a 77C9 and it's just amazing! Getting a bigger screen is by far the right choice and not too big. Heck, I'm getting a 88" when they get affordable

The C9 is also a lot brighter with much better motion handling. Also noticed the improved banding reduction.

So it was definitely worth it!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A505FN met Tapatalk
post #14769 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Took the Plunge

So my very first oled gets here on Wednesday. I canceled my first order because I was freaking out over possible burn in from gaming as that is 90% what this set is going to be for. I did get the 5 year Best Buy warranty, as I figure if I get burn in super easy at least I can pretty much get my money back and get something else... My question is, for those who game on this set, how long did it take before you moved passed the fear of burn in. I maybe play 2-3 hours a night during the week and about 6-8 hours a day on the weekend. My big concern is games like trials of mana or persona 5 which have very saturated huds and can take 100+ hours to finish.. What helped you logically move past this?

As far as treating it..

Don’t pause it for long periods of time.
Make sure it always stays plugged in
Take a break every 4 hours so auto comp can run
Make sure I turn logo luminance on high
SDR content at oled light of 50-60

Anything else I’m missing?

My Samsung q9fn will move up stairs and be used for my FFXIV and ESO, as I can’t imagine an oled would be the right choice to play an mmo.

Last edited by Keabrown79; 05-30-2020 at 12:47 PM.
post #14770 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keabrown79 View Post
So my very first oled gets here on Wednesday. I canceled my first order because I was freaking out over possible burn in from gaming as that is 90% what this set is going to be for. I did get the 5 year Best Buy warranty, as I figure if I get burn in super easy at least I can pretty much get my money back and get something else... My question is, for those who game on this set, how long did it take before you moved passed the fear of burn in. I maybe play 2-3 hours a night during the week and about 6-8 hours a day on the weekend. My big concern is games like trials of mana or persona 5 which have very saturated huds and can take 100+ hours to finish.. What helped you logically move past this?

As far as treating it..

My Samsung q9fn will move up stairs and be used for my FFXIV and ESO, as I can’t imagine an oled would be the right choice to play an mmo.
Just use your set and enjoy.
Had my E6 with oled light on 100 for gaming for 3 years... no issues and really I gamed a lot!

Had only 1 slight burnin of network logo. Only barely visible on full red screen. Like loading screen of red dead redemption 2

Sometimes you see temporary image retention but that fades away very quickly.

Now I'm gaming on 77C9 with oled also on 100 right out of the box

wardie and 22Green like this.
post #14771 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
Quote:

As far as treating it..

Congrats on your order. I invite you to the C9's gaming thread in my sig.

As for how long it took before I stopped worrying and love the OLED... about 2 to 3 weeks. Now it's just operate it without fear, my only adjustment from previous non-OLED TVs is to be sure to shut it off when I walk away from it.
post #14772 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Can someone tell me really quick if the Black Frame Insertion mode does 1080 lines of motion resolution?
Rtings & HDTVtest both tested it out, but never mentioned if it goes beyond the standard max 600 lines of motion resolution.

They just said there was one option for BFI & not 3 like LG originally planned to have that they later had in the 2020 models.
post #14773 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
All of my LG apps have stopped working recently. The apps load fine and I can browse the content but whenever I try and launch a video, I get a message saying 'There was a problem loading video' or something to that effect. This happens with Netflix, Prime Video and Youtube. Even the Dolby Access app is failing to play any of the videos. The only app that works is Disney+

I've rebooted the set a few times and made sure the internet is working. I even tried holding down the Home button and closing individual apps and then re-launching them without success.

Has anyone else run into this problem? My set is barely a week old so it is a bit concerning.

I have an ATV4K box that I normally use for streaming but sometimes I like the convenience of the LG apps.

AV equipment: LG 77C9, Sony 65X930E, Denon X4400H, Panasonic UB820, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super
post #14774 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5206 Post(s)
Liked: 3219
^^^
Have you tried unplugging and pressing the power button for 15 seconds to make sure any power is out and then plugging back? I read on a Vudu forum from an engineer that says this can fix this issue.

lujan
695 Ultra HD
737 HD
4 SD
post #14775 of 15606 Old 05-30-2020, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post
All of my LG apps have stopped working recently. The apps load fine and I can browse the content but whenever I try and launch a video, I get a message saying 'There was a problem loading video' or something to that effect. This happens with Netflix, Prime Video and Youtube. Even the Dolby Access app is failing to play any of the videos. The only app that works is Disney+

I've rebooted the set a few times and made sure the internet is working. I even tried holding down the Home button and closing individual apps and then re-launching them without success.

Has anyone else run into this problem? My set is barely a week old so it is a bit concerning.

I have an ATV4K box that I normally use for streaming but sometimes I like the convenience of the LG apps.

Try changing location to Canada wait for reboot, then go back and switch back to US.

2019 LG C9 65"
2019 LG SL10YG Soundbar
I1D3 OEM
Calman Home RC1
Lightspace/Colorspace
post #14776 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I'm having an issue with my LG 55C9. I've used it for about two hundred hours. I'm not sure if my issue has been there since the beginning or if I've just noticed it now.

So near the top of the television there is light fluctuation in the image. It manifests as like a horizontal bar of white light near the top of the television that will appear and disappear. It does not seem to appear when the screen is black but will appear on basically anything other than black.

I've tried adjusting just scan from on to auto to off and no setting seems to make a difference. I've tried doing a factory reset of television which also did not work.

Any advice?
post #14777 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega010 View Post
I recently sold my 65E6 for a 77C9 and it's just amazing! Getting a bigger screen is by far the right choice and not too big. Heck, I'm getting a 88" when they get affordable

The C9 is also a lot brighter with much better motion handling. Also noticed the improved banding reduction.

So it was definitely worth it!

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the c9 77 while they had some left. I got a great price even though it really hurts to part with that much for a TV even if a discounted price.. thanks Greentoe. Now I wait for delivery and am looking forward to my 2nd OLED. Will have to move the e6 to the bedroom. Can’t get rid of the last great 3D TV. Can’t wait to game on the thing. I hope since I sit around 7ft away it will feel more like sitting at a computer monitor .
post #14778 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMINENT1 View Post
Try changing location to Canada wait for reboot, then go back and switch back to US.
Thanks, that did the trick! I never would have thought of trying that
EMINENT1 likes this.

AV equipment: LG 77C9, Sony 65X930E, Denon X4400H, Panasonic UB820, ATV 4K, PS4 Pro
5.1.4 Atmos setup: Klipsch RP-250C | RP-250F | RP-150M surrounds |SVS Prime Elevations (x4)
Subwoofers: SVS PB12-NSD |Outlaw LFM1-Plus

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD, ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super
post #14779 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7622 Post(s)
Liked: 7694
Quote:
Ok just placed my order for my 1st ever oled... =I’m going to get the 2 or 5 year bb warranty but can’t decide which yet. My question is that if I have an issue from burn in, which I might as it’s just used for gaming, if I get LG to replace my panel does it use my bb warranty? If bb comes out because of burn in do they do panel replacements or do they just give you a new tv/credit or if bb does panel replacements does it still consume the warranted?
It depends who you call, if you call LG direct they may do it in the future as they are doing it now. If you call Best Buy direct, odds are they will give you a credit for another unit and not bother with swapping the screen. So it depends who you call....
post #14780 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy17 View Post
Can anyone tell me if they prefer the picture quality of the built in apps ie “Netflix” “Prime Video” etc etc or is the picture quality better on APPLE 4K tv?
The internal apps give a brighter picture than the Apple TV 4K. Sadly. Also the Apple TV 4K isn’t software enabled to support all the playback speeds, The internal apps do. And lastly there a is raised black issue with DV with the ATV4K.
UltraHD enthusiast likes this.
post #14781 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRyanSmith View Post
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the c9 77 while they had some left. I got a great price even though it really hurts to part with that much for a TV even if a discounted price.. thanks Greentoe. Now I wait for delivery and am looking forward to my 2nd OLED. Will have to move the e6 to the bedroom. Can’t get rid of the last great 3D TV. Can’t wait to game on the thing. I hope since I sit around 7ft away it will feel more like sitting at a computer monitor .
Well I certainly will miss 3d as it was really amazing on the 65E6. On the other hand I only watched a few each year because my wife can't see the 3d image. Mostly getting headaches.

I sold it for 1100 euros so that makes the 77 somewhat cheaper

Just bought Tom Clancy Breakpoint and it really looks amazing. Also tested Become Human and CoD Ww2. Very bright HDR and immersive experience at about 10/11 feet.

Some questions maybe anybody can answer:
The E6 automaticly switched to the input when it detected that a device turned on. Now I only see the badge and have to manually switch to HDMI 3.
Can this be changed?

In the E6 my receiver only turned on with CEC and not off like the C9. Can this be changed as well? When I just want to listen to radio I have to power on the receiver manually after turning off the tv

post #14782 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy17 View Post
Can anyone tell me if they prefer the picture quality of the built in apps ie “Netflix” “Prime Video” etc etc or is the picture quality better on APPLE 4K tv?
On my Sony A8H the TV's built-in Android Netflix app works much better than my 4K Apple TV's apps.
post #14783 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
Ok just placed my order for my 1st ever oled... =I’️m going to get the 2 or 5 year bb warranty but can’️t decide which yet. My question is that if I have an issue from burn in, which I might as it’️s just used for gaming, if I get LG to replace my panel does it use my bb warranty? If bb comes out because of burn in do they do panel replacements or do they just give you a new tv/credit or if bb does panel replacements does it still consume the warranted?
It depends who you call, if you call LG direct they may do it in the future as they are doing it now. If you call Best Buy direct, odds are they will give you a credit for another unit and not bother with swapping the screen. So it depends who you call....
I’ll have to call Best Buy and see if one precludes the other... if LG replaces a screen if that makes my Best Buy warranty bull and void. I wouldn’t think so as it’s a panel exchange but who knows.
post #14784 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 01:24 PM

Has anyone had a chance to try beta firmware 04.80.03? Anything to report?

LG OLED55C9, Firmware v04.80.03 | Denon AVR-X3400H, Firmware v7600-8281-6432-2065 | ATV 4K | Sony UBP-X700 | Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) & HB-1 MK2 (LRSur), Sub VTF-15H MK2, ELAC Atmos | X-Rite i1D3 OEM | 2019 CalMAN Home for LG

Last edited by mhmercer; 05-31-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Firmware update
post #14785 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The c9 can do 4k vrr like cx? if yes, which is the input lag?
post #14786 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2011 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymblos View Post

Yes, Look here:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #14787 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2070 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymblos View Post

Current 4K VRR range for the C9 is 40-60 with input lag of ~ 13ms. HDMI 2.1 devices planned to have 4K VRR range of 40-120, input lag unknown but my guess is ~6ms, same as the current input lag on 1440p. The CX has a current 4k VRR range of 40-120 over HDMI 2.0.
post #14788 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Has anyone had a chance to try beta firmware 04.80.03? Anything to report?
Why would anyone want to risk locking themselves out of future firmware updates?
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #14789 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
Why would anyone want to risk locking themselves out of future firmware updates?
Rhetorical question?

post #14790 of 15606 Old 05-31-2020, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Rhetorical question?
Yes. Answer has something to do with deceased felines and curiosity.

But seriously, several people have locked themselves out of important future firmware updates while trying beta firmware.
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , directional hdmi , hdmi , judder , lg c9 , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , lgoled , Marantz , motion , oled , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels , soundbar advice , sr5012

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page