2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2348Likes

post #1891 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
SPEECHLESS! What mode are you using? What are the lights behind tv? I may put behind my E9.

If I wasn't planning on getting GZ2000, I would have probably went with a 77. Excited for my E9, whenever it will be delivered.....
I switch between using Expert Bright and Dark room, using the setting posted by rtings.com
I use Philips Hue strip lights for my tv’s. I recommend getting the base strip(80”)and then light strip extensions(40”) which are a 1/3 of the price. In order to get the strips around the 77”, I had to buy one base light strip and two extensions. It’s not a cheap investment because you need the Hue bridge as well. But I’m all in on Phillips Hue. I have four rooms with various Hue lighting solutions.

Ooooo the E9. You’re going to love it!

Video LG OLED77C9, Samsung UN65ES8000
Audio Denon AVR-S900W, Polk Audio TSi400(FL,FR), Energy Take 5.1 Classic
Sources Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Apple TV 4K, TiVo Roamio, Nintendo Switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 06:40 PM

[quote=chunon;58009388]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ART1MUS View Post

If you are going to use bias lighting you should use a neutral 6500k light and adjust the brightness using a pattern . The colored light compromises the image fidelity just so you are aware .

Ok thanks for the tip. Will do. Appreciate it : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #1893 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 3758 Post(s)
Liked: 3566
[quote=ART1MUS;58009444]

I can see that being cool
For gaming but your reference mode it should be the 6500k, congrats on the set looks great . I have last years 77” model and love mine.

ART1MUS likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewilderbeast View Post
Alas, the 77C9 was out of my reach this year. Fafrd has me convinced that the new factory will bring the 77 or 75" prices down in the next few years but I could wait no longer.
Yeah, I had planned to wait a couple more years to upgrade to OLED. But I recently moved to 8000 feet so I had to give up my 64" H5000 plasma

I am quite excited about getting a C9 now though. By the next time I am ready to upgrade hopefully 88" will be down to a reasonable price.
Bewilderbeast likes this.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #1895 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4720
[quote=ART1MUS;58009352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
That bias lighting hurts my eyes . Do you actually watch tv like that ?

Funny you guys bring this up because 20 minutes into GoT, I had to turn it off. It was too bright. That never was an issue my Samsung LED. Going forward, I’ll still use it by reducing the brightness of the bias lighting. I actually think it helps the blacks look much richer. But you’re right, I had it too bright.
With an LED/LCD lacking perfect blacks (meaning all of them ), that is exactly the purpose of a bias light - to compensate and make blacks look black as night relative to higher-than-black ambient lighting.

With an OLED, you cannot improve on perfection, so the only purpose for a bias light is to reduce eye fatigue for those who suffer from it when viewing in a pitch-black viewing environment.

If you don't suffer from eye-fatigue, experiment with a low setting versus turned off and please report back. It looks very cool, but I suspect once you have experienced perfect blacks and a true floating image, you'll decide to keep the bias light for show&tell and watch critical content with it turned off...
Ken Ross, ART1MUS and dfa973 like this.
post #1896 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Just got a 65C9 this past weekend and a bit of a story to go with it. I waited for the C9 to replace my Panasonic VT30 65" plasma specifically because I game on an Xbox One X and wanted the HDMI2.1/VRR/ALLM. Alas, the 77C9 was out of my reach this year. Fafrd has me convinced that the new factory will bring the 77 or 75" prices down in the next few years but I could wait no longer.

I got a "65C9" from Best Buy but when I unboxed, it was white with a narrow crystal stand. This didn't seem right but the serial number sticker said OLED65C9PUA, as did the TV Name in About This TV. It would not accept the firmware update via USB either. After playing around with it for the evening, being disappointed, and deciding it definitely wasn't right; I took it back. The blue shirt kid identified it as probably a B6 with which someone had scammed them. They'd even re-banded the C9 box. Best Buy was very helpful and apologetic and swapped it out for me. Even verified that the $350 gift card maintained it's validity throughout the return.

The actual C9 is more refined than the scammed one. It's a definite upgrade from the plasma in every way. My kid asked, "Did you get a smaller TV?" which I suppose is a fair question given that the C9 doesn't have a 3" bezel. I have read all 63 pages of this thread and appreciate the advice and insights. After spending 2 days playing, watching and tuning, I think I've got it where I want it for the next 100 or so hours til I can get a pro calibration.
Awesome to hear! I am in the same boat, I have a 65 VT30 but I've been eyeing a new TV for the past year or so. Just curious if you watch any sports and can comment on the C9 performance versus the VT30? I tried getting BB to put some Sports programming on last weekend but to no luck
Enjoy the TV!
BillW likes this.
post #1897 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 158
What are the dimensions of the stand for the 77in model? It looks smaller than the 65" and 55" from the pictures, is that accurate or an illusion?

XBR65X930C, AVR-X4200W, NVIDIA ShieldTV, SVS SB12-NSD, RF-42 II, RC-52 II, RB-41 II
post #1898 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7256 Post(s)
Liked: 8016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
Why do you keep calling it GOR? Game of thrones should be abbreviated as GOT.
That’s a great question for which I have no answer...but you’re right!

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
post #1899 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 07:34 PM

[quote=fafrd;58009472]
Quote:

With an LED/LCD lacking perfect blacks (meaning all of them ), that is exactly the purpose of a bias light - to compensate and make blacks look black as night relative to higher-than-black ambient lighting.

With an OLED, you cannot improve on perfection, so the only purpose for a bias light is to reduce eye fatigue for those who suffer from it when viewing in a pitch-black viewing environment.

If you don't suffer from eye-fatigue, experiment with a low setting versus turned off and please report back. It looks very cool, but I suspect once you have experienced perfect blacks and a true floating image, you'll decide to keep the bias light for show&tell and watch critical content with it turned off...
I’ve been so programmed to use it with the Samsung, I instinctually wanted bias lighting for my new tv. But now with OLED in my home,I know what you mean by not being able to improve perfection. The whole benefit of bias lighting has become moot.
fafrd, chunon and Gillietalls like this.

post #1900 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
What are the dimensions of the stand for the 77in model? It looks smaller than the 65" and 55" from the pictures, is that accurate or an illusion?
Sorry, I threw away the stand since I mounted it. But anecdotally, from setting up my coworkers 55C9, I recall the stand for the 77C9 being very similar in dimensions.

post #1901 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 07:52 PM

[quote=chunon;58009452]
Quote:

I can see that being cool
For gaming but your reference mode it should be the 6500k, congrats on the set looks great . I have last years 77” model and love mine.

I notice the Multiview app is missing from the 77C9. And I believe it’s in the 77C8 right? I saw it when I played with a demo unit in Best Buy. I was looking forward to picture-in-picture from two sources : (

post #1902 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
when i check sound options my output device is the lg tv
Could you please check the settings in the Sound Option of Windows 10? How many channels (two or more) did you found in Properties - "Maximale Anzahl von Kanälen"(sorry, it's a German OS)? I found two channels (see my pic at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58007754)

Thanks.
post #1903 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyle View Post
Awesome to hear! I am in the same boat, I have a 65 VT30 but I've been eyeing a new TV for the past year or so. Just curious if you watch any sports and can comment on the C9 performance versus the VT30? I tried getting BB to put some Sports programming on last weekend but to no luck
Enjoy the TV!
I don't watch sports but it sounds like motion control is the primary concern for sports people? My impression is that any judder there is, is "finer" than what the VT30 has. It's less chunky looking. Gamers pan around a lot and raw higher refresh rate smooths that out. I can imagine it's the same for say, a football kick off return tracking shot. It looks far better than your average sports bar LCD. There are far more options to fiddle with to tune the motion stuff. I'm hardly an AV Scientist here, never saw a black frame inserted anywhere. But you'll come out ahead of the plasma in every way.
anwsmh likes this.

LG OLED65C9
Xbox One X
Marantz SR5008
post #1904 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Alas, the 77C9 was out of my reach this year. Fafrd has me convinced that the new factory will bring the 77 or 75" prices down in the next few years but I could wait no longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
Yeah, I had planned to wait a couple more years to upgrade to OLED. But I recently moved to 8000 feet so I had to give up my 64" H5000 plasma

I am quite excited about getting a C9 now though. By the next time I am ready to upgrade hopefully 88" will be down to a reasonable price.
Here's how you rationalize getting one now: A 77C9 is $7000 and a 65C9 is $3500 today. If you get a 65 now for $3500 and a 77 or 88 in a few years for $3500, you've spent the same $7k but you didn't have to delay any gratification. My wife likes to amortize costs of things over time. "XdollarsxXdays is only like a latte a day and think quality of life!" Besides, two lattes a day is just decadent and you know you'll want the HDMI 3.1, 480hz refresh rate, and whatever Top Emission is that will inevitably come with the 77C23 anyway. Selling that 77C9 then will be as painful as the day you bought it and you're ultimately out 10 grand. You have to spend money to save money. Yeah. 65C9 now!

I, uh, hope this doesn't count as price talk.
MeximusPrime likes this.

LG OLED65C9
Xbox One X
Marantz SR5008
post #1905 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 24
[QUOTE=fafrd;58009472]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
That bias lighting hurts my eyes . Do you actually watch tv like that ?

Funny you guys bring this up because 20 minutes into GoT, I had to turn it off. It was too bright. That never was an issue my Samsung LED. Going forward, I’ll still use it by reducing the brightness of the bias lighting. I actually think it helps the blacks look much richer. But you’re right, I had it too bright.
With an LED/LCD lacking perfect blacks (meaning all of them [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]), that is exactly the purpose of a bias light - to compensate and make blacks look black as night relative to higher-than-black ambient lighting.

Too bad some uhd hdr movies have raised black and some dolby vision movies have raised black vs hdr10 so bias lighting may hide some of that
post #1906 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
On the official site, they use the same photos for the 55" & 65". I think they photoshopped to get the 77" photos and got the scale of the stand off by about 5%. It wouldn't really make sense for the stands to be just slightly different in size, so they are almost certainly all the same size.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #1907 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 356
[quote=fafrd;58009472]
Quote:

bias light can also mask some of the stupid low IRE issues like vertical banding on oled when watching in a completely dark room, issues which lg will never cure. harder to pick up the jailbars with a bias light on. of course you no longer get the floating black effect of oled, but it's a tradeoff to mask some of the low IRE flaws. black may be perfection on oled, coming out of black is far from perfection on oled, so a bias light can have its place with oled. also find that a 6500k bias light strip with a mild light intensity attached directly to the back of the tv works better than placing a lamp few inches behind the tv.
post #1908 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 10:19 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6317 Post(s)
Liked: 6321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post

I hear you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjrose View Post
Which ones do you recommend? Belkin 48 Gbps?

Several articles have stated that "Microsoft claims the Xbox One X was future-proofed with the required hardware already onboard. This should mean that once ready, HDMI 2.1 compliance can be added via a quick firmware update."
make sure they have this logo below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI.png
Views:	52
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	2563504  
NintendoManiac64 likes this.
post #1909 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
It is amazing how these clean up
Let's not pretend the comp cycles work for everyone. have you read the unformity thread, loads of people in there for whom comp cycles did nothing to address nonuniformity. the issues just keep fluctuating in intensity with repeated comp cycles, on some sets they go away eventually, on others they don't. i had a c8 with moderate vertical banding (no tinting) and comp cycles never made the bands disappear, i also tried couple of manual refresh cycles, watching in a dark room i could still see the bands many months later in dark scenes and on app menu screens (like the gray youtube screen). there was no 'amazing' clean up job (the blanket statement that you made in your post). And if your low IRE or tinting issues are severe OOTB, you can forget about the comp cycles doing anything to address that.
post #1910 of 3653 Old 05-06-2019, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3756 Post(s)
Liked: 3445
[quote=Menarini;58010104]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
bias light can also mask some of the stupid low IRE issues like vertical banding on oled when watching in a completely dark room, issues which lg will never cure. harder to pick up the jailbars with a bias light on. of course you no longer get the floating black effect of oled, but it's a tradeoff to mask some of the low IRE flaws. black may be perfection on oled, coming out of black is far from perfection on oled, so a bias light can have its place with oled. also find that a 6500k bias light strip with a mild light intensity attached directly to the back of the tv works better than placing a lamp few inches behind the tv.
I've been using this product and found it to be very handy with certain types of content.
post #1911 of 3653 Old 05-07-2019, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5804
Quote:
I noticed the same thing and have the same question. I am moving in 30 days or so and will have actually have a dedicated HT/sports room, and a 77" C9 is top of the list. Stand size does matter though.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP502S / FV15HP
post #1912 of 3653 Old 05-07-2019, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 9
It is time...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50f19107-b7b9-48f5-b110-fa57ee2cb08d.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2563536  
post #1913 of 3653 Old 05-07-2019, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone notice that LG US just removed all comments from their C9??

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Panasonic TX-P42V10E; Onkyo TX-NR808; Xbox One S; Nvidia Shield TV (1st gen); PS3; Cambridge Audio Azur 640C; Logitech Harmony 650
Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1; BK Gemini; Just Racks JRA120‑SW‑BG
2x3m e 2x10m Supra 2.5 Classic; 3m QED P-CV1; 1m QED P-75; 3m Ixos XFA02
post #1914 of 3653 Old 05-07-2019, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjrose View Post
It is time...
That's an E9. You got it earlier than me! Maybe mine was re-routed to you.

Sony A9F, LG E9, LG B6 (retired)
post #1915 of 3653 Old 05-07-2019, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 229
CNET C9 Review

CNET C9 Review:

Highlights - "Reigning picture quality champ notches another victory. The LG C9 OLED TV has better image quality than any television we've ever tested. It delivers perfect black levels, wide viewing angles, superb uniformity, accurate color and a great bright-room picture. Video processing is slightly better than last year. It adds HDMI 2.1 features and support for Amazon Alexa and Apple AirPlay 2 are coming soon. Its striking design features a super slim panel."

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/lg-oled65c9pua-review/

SCG
post #1916 of 3653 Old 05-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 13
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...-lg-c9/600/802

Rtings C8 vs C9 results side by side
majori3333 likes this.
post #1917 of 3653 Old 05-07-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesolo View Post
Anyone notice that LG US just removed all comments from their C9??

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I can still see them.
post #1918 of 3653 Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holm Stadermann View Post
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...-lg-c9/600/802

Rtings C8 vs C9 results side by side
Both scored 8.9 overall. Peak brightness number comparisons are interesting. It seems real scene peak brightness inceased, but peak highlights and full field white went lower. They measured the hdr 2% and 10% windows on the c8 above 900 nits, the c9 is around 850 nits. On a perceptual level, imo the c9 generally looks a tad brighter and the colors slightly more saturated with hdr, however in scenes with lots of white on screen (like a hdr skiing video), the c9's ABL works more aggressively than c8 resulting in slightly dimmer whites.
post #1919 of 3653 Old 05-07-2019, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7256 Post(s)
Liked: 8016
One of the things I appreciate about the C9 vs the C8 is the far less aggressive dimming of the C9 on channels with logos. Additionally, the persistent brightness of the logos is easily controlled with the logo dimming control. I found my C8 never worked properly in that regard and adjustments in the SM had no effect.

In terms of overall ABL, I see little to no difference between the C8 & C9.
anwsmh likes this.

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
post #1920 of 3653 Old 05-07-2019, 12:11 PM

^Logo dimming has to do with ASBL,which is completely different from and independent of ABL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
dead , pixel dead , pixels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page