2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6034Likes

post #2371 of 10379 Old 05-22-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
So I noticed a problem on a 65“ C8 I set up the other day and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with anything like this.
Basically in a nutshell a horizontal thick bar appears across the screen that looks kinda like white static noise or garbled noise artifacts of some kind and it flickers off / on the screen at random intervals. I tried bypassing the AV receiver to make sure that wasn’t causing it and I also verified it wasn’t the source content either. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thx [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]
You know this is the C9 thread right?
Sorry my bad, I will delete the post.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 10379 Old 05-22-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
The Marantz SR8012 is supposed to get the update as well.......
I had read it was getting eARC and ALLM in firmware update. I had not seen any indication of an HDMI 2.1 replacement board for that model. For the 8805 sure, but the 8012? Can't find any indication of that (not that I have either, just an SR6012).

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #2373 of 10379 Old 05-22-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6850 Post(s)
Liked: 6853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
The current longevity of LG OLED panels is 15,000 hours, so at 12h/day (every day???) you get more than 3 years. Too little? Only you can decide, but I tell you that these numbers are just numbers, in reality, you won't notice the natural decrease in performance (brightness, mostly).
I have never looked into the hours OF OLED panels as it was never brought up. When plasma TV's came out they where rated at 20,000 hours to there half life and everyone was freaking out about that, just surprised its 15,000 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2374 of 10379 Old 05-22-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcup View Post
Interestingly....it also showed the display as g-sync compatible which seems impossible over hdmi so I'll have to figure out how to test that.
Well nvidia has talked about adding support for some freesync displays in the last few months, so perhaps they have actually done so?

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #2375 of 10379 Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
By the way, John shared this in the Sony thread now that they have seen some and I think it's fair to share here too...similar to what I've seen across a half dozen displays.
This really worries me though. If "all OLEDs" have these issues and they are visible in normal content I'm at the point of which is worse in regular viewing, tint or DSE/jailbars common with FALD sets?
post #2376 of 10379 Old 05-22-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I assumed eARC had no compromises when connecting directly to TV. It’s one of the reasons I upgraded from my C7.

Am I not getting the best audio with my Apple TV on the HDMI 1 port? I would connect it directly to my soundbar but then I would need to manually change in and out of Game Mode when I play PS4.....
It is hard to properly respond to this post when you aren't providing any context.

What model sound-bar do you have and is it eARC capable?

For eARC to work you need the display device AND the audio device doing the sound to both be eARC capable. It should not be necessary for sources to be eARC compatible.

So, your TV and your sound bar need to be eARC capable and properly configured and in those cases your ATV4 or BD player should pass uncompressed audio back to your sound bar.
My soundbar does have eARC. It’s the Sony Z9F.

So in my case since my sound bar and TV have eARC, I should get full audio capabilities no matter where it’s connected, right?
No, there will be a specific input on the TV typically that is designated as the EARC capable input and that’s the one you need to connect to the sound bar.

You also have to review settings on both devices as for sure with the TV the EARC capability is not enabled by default.
Not sure if I’m not being clear or you’re misunderstanding me....

Previously, on my C7 my devices needed to be connected directly to the soundbar unit to ensure I had the best audio quality.

With my eARC capable LG C9 and Soundbar this is no longer the case right? I can connect my Apple TV and game console to the TVs remaining HDMI ports with no compromises?
post #2377 of 10379 Old 05-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Previously, on my C7 my devices needed to be connected directly to the soundbar unit to ensure I had the best audio quality.

With my eARC capable LG C9 and Soundbar this is no longer the case right? I can connect my Apple TV and game console to the TVs remaining HDMI ports with no compromises?
It sounded like this was something you were already trying to do and you were reporting it was not working, so, from my perspective you were not being clear until just now.

You are correct that with eARC the switching device becomes TV for your higher end sources, you connect those sources directly to the TV and then connect the TV to an HD audio source that is EARC capable. The advantage of doing this is that you have "no compromises". You get all of the best video processing capable from connecting your source directly to the TV as well as "per input" video settings (your BD player might be set to movie mode and your ATV set to a mode better for casual viewing) and you still get HD audio back to your audio set up that is EARC capable.

Effectively it flips the paradigm back to hooking things up directly to the TV and outputting audio to the AVR, except now you can do it with HD audio.

It also is supposed to have enforced lip sync correction for most sound formats that would be used for HD audio, whereas today, going through an AVR or sound bar you might have to adjust the audio offset by as much as 15-25ms to get audio and video in sync. This should be a non-issue with most sound formats in an EARC set up.
Baldrekr likes this.
post #2378 of 10379 Old 05-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Quote:

It sounded like this was something you were already trying to do and you were reporting it was not working, so, from my perspective you were not being clear until just now.

You are correct that with eARC the switching device becomes TV for your higher end sources, you connect those sources directly to the TV and then connect the TV to an HD audio source that is EARC capable. The advantage of doing this is that you have "no compromises". You get all of the best video processing capable from connecting your source directly to the TV as well as "per input" video settings (your BD player might be set to movie mode and your ATV set to a mode better for casual viewing) and you still get HD audio back to your audio set up that is EARC capable.

Effectively it flips the paradigm back to hooking things up directly to the TV and outputting audio to the AVR, except now you can do it with HD audio.

It also is supposed to have enforced lip sync correction for most sound formats that would be used for HD audio, whereas today, going through an AVR or sound bar you might have to adjust the audio offset by as much as 15-25ms to get audio and video in sync. This should be a non-issue with most sound formats in an EARC set up.
Ok thanks this answers my question.
post #2379 of 10379 Old 05-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Think LG has something messed up on their website for the OLED77C9PUB model# - it doesn't show up in most of their dropdown options on their site and as mentioned here already it's not listed as a supported model on the firmware. Looking like maybe a site wide typo. It's one thing if it's not compatible for the firmware in general, but since their site doesn't list it correctly in a lot of places I'm thinking someone had an oops.
I contacted them about it via email. We'll see.

Current: LG 77C9 OLED, Denon x6500H @ 7.2.4, Xbox One X, PC w. RTX2080ti
LG 55E6P OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Previous: LG 55" EF9500 OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)
post #2380 of 10379 Old 05-22-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Well nvidia has talked about adding support for some freesync displays in the last few months, so perhaps they have actually done so?
So far I've always read that Freesync support was limited to DisplayPort.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #2381 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

There was talk a few pages back of audio lag using this method when connecting an Xbox X and sending Atmos sound via earc. Can anyone confirm this is a problem or isolated issue?
post #2382 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPF76 View Post
There was talk a few pages back of audio lag using this method when connecting an Xbox X and sending Atmos sound via earc. Can anyone confirm this is a problem or isolated issue?
Yeah I just checked this out last night, and it was bad. I hadn't had time to do any Xbox gaming since I got the set. So yes there is some horrible latency with the Xbox set to bitstream Atmos over eARC. Using an Xbox One X and Denon 6500H. I also noticed audio delay on a quick test when using eARC to pass Atmos from my PC to receiver.

If you do a google search for Xbox One and Atmos delay, it's a pretty widespread problem, but I don't think that eARC is helping. It might be a bigger problem with the Xbox and even the PC with the way they encode the audio to Atmos - which also several of us discussed the general likelihood of audio delay several pages back when not using PCM. I also learned that if you set the Xbox to Atmos (until the Atmos upmixing patch is out), you will get no sound from channels that are not utilized in regular 5.1 or 7.1 games. IE letting the receiver do the upmixing via Neural X etc is a better option.

I need to see if there are some more adjustments I can try to make, but nothing on the TV end has helped so far. I need to try more settings on the receiver end still. I can also try going HDMI direct to the receiver eventually to compare.
I'll share if I find out improvements.

Current: LG 77C9 OLED, Denon x6500H @ 7.2.4, Xbox One X, PC w. RTX2080ti
LG 55E6P OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Previous: LG 55" EF9500 OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)
post #2383 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Interestingly....it also showed the display as g-sync compatible which seems impossible over hdmi so I'll have to figure out how to test that.

Wooow, this is great news!
Tom, did you upgrade to latest LG firmware for showing the TV as gsync compatible?
Could you pls. try the pendulum test?
https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

Thx!!
post #2384 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Yeah I just checked this out last night, and it was bad. I hadn't had time to do any Xbox gaming since I got the set. So yes there is some horrible latency with the Xbox set to bitstream Atmos over eARC. Using an Xbox One X and Denon 6500H. I also noticed audio delay on a quick test when using eARC to pass Atmos from my PC to receiver.

If you do a google search for Xbox One and Atmos delay, it's a pretty widespread problem, but I don't think that eARC is helping. It might be a bigger problem with the Xbox and even the PC with the way they encode the audio to Atmos - which also several of us discussed the general likelihood of audio delay several pages back when not using PCM. I also learned that if you set the Xbox to Atmos (until the Atmos upmixing patch is out), you will get no sound from channels that are not utilized in regular 5.1 or 7.1 games. IE letting the receiver do the upmixing via Neural X etc is a better option.

I need to see if there are some more adjustments I can try to make, but nothing on the TV end has helped so far. I need to try more settings on the receiver end still. I can also try going HDMI direct to the receiver eventually to compare.
Thanks for the detailed reply. It’s really disappointing, let’s hope for some fixes in the near future as I don’t want to have to choose between great picture or great sound!
Be interested to know if you come up with any solutions
post #2385 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

You have a great receiver, there's no need to use eARC at all (except for TV apps); plug everything into the ARV and run one cable to the TV.
post #2386 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
You have a great receiver, there's no need to use eARC at all (except for TV apps); plug everything into the ARV and run one cable to the TV.
In order to use VRR of his Xbox One X he'd need to plug it into the TV and use eARC to go into the AVR (or use optical out with its own limitations)

Last edited by Siran77; 05-23-2019 at 09:26 AM.
post #2387 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 07:22 AM

Vincent Teoh has tweeted that he's working feverishly to finalize his C9 review before he departs on a holiday later today.

Just as interesting is that he discovered that there appears to be a 2nd (dormant?) HDMI 2.1 chip inside the C9 sets. I wonder if LG hedged their bets on HDMI 2.1 by inclusion of two separate chipsets so that they could do parallel development and ultimately use whichever hardware gave better performance?

Rather baffling.
post #2388 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Just as interesting is that he discovered that there appears to be a 2nd (dormant?) HDMI 2.1 chip inside the C9 sets.
Maybe the 4 included HDMI ports of the TV are split between 2 separate chips... It seems more logical, I don't know...
No one puts a chip "just in case", and tests are made on prototypes, not on production lots already in the hands of customers.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #2389 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Is he sure, that both chips are full-fledged HDMI 2.1 chips?

Maybe one of those chips is still a HDMI 2.0b Chip.
To quote myself: According to LG Germany the C9 does not support
[email protected] just yet. This feature should be available in a future firmware update this year.
I do not no if this goes for all models. Or only for the german version of the C9 (and E9 etc.).
But I think it goes for all versions.

Anyway, maybe their HDMI 2.1 "software" (or however you want to call it) is not ready
while the hardware is. So maybe they went with a HDMI 2.0b chip and a HDMI 2.1 chip.
So they could release the C9 early on without native support for HDMI 2.1. But later on they are
going to "active" the HDMI 2.1 chip?

This could also explain why some LG subsidiary are talking about HDCP 2.2 instead of HDCP 2.3 (In contrast: LG AUS mentions HDCP 2.3 for [email protected]; which presumably is not available yet).

Maybe Vincent will give us some more information in his upcomming review.

TV: LG OLED 55C97LA | Panasonic TX-40CXW684
LS: 2x nuBox 381 | 2x nuBox DS-301 | 2x nuBox WS-103 | 1x nuBox CS-411 | 1x nuBox AW-443 | 2x nuPro A-200
SRC: Yamaha RX-V675 | Panasonic DMP-BDT500EG | Panasonic DP-UB824 | PS3 | PS4 | PS4 PRO
post #2390 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Maybe the 4 included HDMI ports of the TV are split between 2 separate chips... It seems more logical, I don't know...
No one puts a chip "just in case", and tests are made on prototypes, not on production lots already in the hands of customers.
It's not clear from his post on Twitter/Instagram that this is the same model chip or a different chip. I don't think that two chips delivering the feature across four physical ports would really be that "newsworthy" but I guess we will learn more when his review drops later today.
post #2391 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenster3000 View Post
This could also explain why some LG subsidiary are talking about HDCP 2.2 instead of HDCP 2.3 (In contrast: LG AUS mentions HDCP 2.3 for [email protected]; which presumably is not available yet).
Apparently, HDCP 2.3 will be available as a firmware update along with the summer update that brings Apple AirPlay 2 and Apple HomeKit:

Quote:
LG TVs will receive an upgrade mid-year to support Apple AirPlay 2 and Apple HomeKit for easy streaming of video and audio content and connectivity to Apple’s smart home products. 2019 LG TV owners can also expect to receive a firmware update that will add Amazon Alexa support to complement Google Assistant which is included out of the box, making LG the only TV brand to provide support for both leading AI platforms without the need for additional hardware.
fenster3000 likes this.
post #2392 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7385 Post(s)
Liked: 8264
Quote:
Vincent Teoh has tweeted that he's working feverishly to finalize his C9 review before he departs on a holiday later today.

Just as interesting is that he discovered that there appears to be a 2nd (dormant?) HDMI 2.1 chip inside the C9 sets. I wonder if LG hedged their bets on HDMI 2.1 by inclusion of two separate chipsets so that they could do parallel development and ultimately use whichever hardware gave better performance?

Rather baffling.
Well, despite me thinking this is the best display ever, I'm selling mine if his review is anything less than stellar.
anwsmh likes this.
post #2393 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Well, despite me thinking this is the best display ever, I'm selling mine if his review is anything less than stellar.
Every display has things less than stellar. However I am very very close to pulling the trigger on the 77C9 with the massive price drop that just happened at one authorized reseller.
post #2394 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

Yes, you can connect Apple TV direct to TV HDMI, and you will get Atmos sound from your sound bar, assuming sound bar is compatible.
post #2395 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Every other review has been stellar so I feel pretty good about my purchase regardless of what Vincent says. However, I’m pretty confident he will like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #2396 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On some programs I'm noticing jerky panning motion on my C9 from DirecTV, which I assume is always sending 60fps. When I turned off Real Cinema the same scenes improved. I know R.C. is for 24Hz content but I thought it handled other content properly too?

Last edited by orleans704; 05-23-2019 at 03:07 PM.
post #2397 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
77" Panel Pixel Structure

Hey @Tomcup and other 2019 77" owners...

There's been forum-wide interest in whether the 77" panel has the pixel structure of the 2017 OLEDs (as the 2018 77" did) or that of the 2019 55" and 65".

If you're able to, a macro shot of the pixel structure would answer the question.

Much appreciated!
post #2398 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Not much talk about the W9's. Are they not out yet? I dint see a dedicated thread. Will they have the same HDMI 2.1 features as the C series? i.e. ALLM, VRR and eARC

post #2399 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 42
How is the banding on these new panels??
post #2400 of 10379 Old 05-23-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4612 Post(s)
Liked: 5601
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrit View Post
How is the banding on these new panels??
Pretty much the same as the 2018s.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
allm , dead , lg c9 oled , lg oled c9 , oled 55 , pixel dead , pixels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version