2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3675Likes

post #2791 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Got my 77C9 put in and spent a few minutes playing with it.
[*]Putting the stand on was a big PITA. I was quite concerned I was going to damage the TV in the process [*]Speaking of the stand, the TV tilts back a few degrees on it and it is a little wobbly. The tilt back from true level is going to bother my inner OCD, it’s hard to believe LG was this sloppy.
I don't know for sure about the 9's but previous generations the stand had to slide/snap in properly in 2 steps in order for the TV to be vertical but could still be assembled (screws still fit) without being installed completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So according to Vincent, C9 gets dimmer overtime when displaying contents with static logos even with tpc and logo luminance adjustment turned off. So that tcp trick in the service menu doesn’t work anymore

https://youtu.be/Z_aAV7WU5n4
helvetica bold likes this.
post #2793 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7299 Post(s)
Liked: 8122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
So according to Vincent, C9 gets dimmer overtime when displaying contents with static logos even with tpc and logo luminance adjustment turned off. So that tcp trick in the service menu doesn’t work anymore

https://youtu.be/Z_aAV7WU5n4
The trick didn’t work on the C8 either, but the dimming is far less on the C9. I found the dimming that occurred with large static logos (news channels) to be absurd on the C8. With the C9 it’s far more subtle and not at all bothersome.
helvetica bold and Markalark like this.

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2794 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadout View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDeadlyBum View Post
Vince's review (of HDTVtest) seems to suggest that ALLM will actually just turn a low latency mode on, in whatever display mode you're in. So you could be using technicolor or an ISF Expert profile (both of which are generally the most accurate out of the box) and get game-mode levels of input lag, once 'Instant game response' has triggered correctly. Regrettably, ALLM isn't supported by anything except the Xbox One, which I don't have (and wouldn't migrate to over this feature for anyway)
Maybe. I asked flatpanelshd, they said ALLM switched picture profile. But nobody seems 100% clear on it.
ALLM switches the tv to picture preset “GAME” or “HDR GAME”.

I’m not sure if you then manually change it to isf dark does it still have the low lag. Needs someone to test it.
post #2795 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcup View Post
Yes, I remembered your post, your fix was a last resort option if I could not get it back.

Powering things up and down 10 different ways and turning eARC on and off 10 different ways brought it back.

But the xbox audio delay in atmos came back with it and does not go away even in passthrough mode now.
Makes sense as I would not have done it if my set was calibrated. Hopefully all of those issues can be sorted out.

My only guess is they are still working with the app makers to improve these things. The internal Vudu app for instance got updated this week and now I can finally playback movies with Dolby Vision and Atmos where as the last time I tried several weeks ago the app just wouldn't play any content at all. Hopefully Netflix can get their issues sorted out. This is the first TV with eARC so while it's frustrating I'm a bit understanding as long as the bugs get ironed out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #2796 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Here's a non technical review of the E9
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/lg-e9-oled

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #2797 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
I don't know for sure about the 9's but previous generations the stand had to slide/snap in properly in 2 steps in order for the TV to be vertical but could still be assembled (screws still fit) without being installed completely.
The stand just lays on the back of the tv and is secured with four screws, then a cover plate snaps over it to hide it.
post #2798 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 07:01 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6517 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSynergy View Post
E6 owner turned C9 here. The WebOS update, performance, and lipsync fix alone is worth the upgrade. Dynamic tone mapping definitely seems to bring out more detail in highlights.
Overall picture looks dimmer so far even with max OLED light and contrast while watching a UHD bluray, but I'm still tinkering with settings, but so far so good. I see there is an update already too, is it safe to update to the latest firmware?
Quote:
Originally Posted by geobrick View Post

The E9 is described as "Glass" but nothing in the comparison mentions what this means. I assume it means the OLED panel is mounted on glass. Is that the real difference between the e9 and c9? What are the pros and cons to that?
They used to call it picture on glass as I recall, it is edge to edge glass and has no border on the edge. The E9 has different look compared to the C9 The screen is exactly the same. The E has a tad bit better speakers and that's it.....
post #2799 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4462 Post(s)
Liked: 2512
Quote:
TLDR: TV sound out eARC set to Passthrough mode (vs auto) possibly breaks Atmos on certain sources (internal), but also might improve audio latency on others (xbox, pc). Buggy*

Ugh okay, so my 77C9 on firmware 3.60.02 to Denon 6500H had no problems playing/passing through and displaying as an option Atmos in the internal Netflix App, but after going into Sound, then, sound out, and setting Digital sound out to pass through instead of Auto, the Atmos display option on Netflix is gone and it only shows 5.1. F*ck. I can't get it to come back. I'm going to have to try some things to get it back. But the TV still passes through Atmos just fine from my USB demo files and PC and XBox.

Edit: uninstalling Netflix did not fix. Setting audio out to TV speakers brought the Atmos icon back in Netflix, but then when I switched back to eARC (auto mode) it's gone again.
Edit 2: turning off eARC on TV and using regular ARC brings the option back in Netflix and actually passes Atmos through. Makes no sense. have to test if this breaks it for other HDMI sources. Edit 3: it does (ie xbox and PC won't pass atmos over regular arc as expected) but I guess if you only care about internal apps I'd dry that.
Edit 4: (sorry) I spammed things off and on and earc back and forth that Dolby atmos remains up again on the netflix app even in passthrough mode for eARC, but now the audio delay is back on the xbox through atmos. Banging my head on the wall here.

HOWEVER setting eARC (digital sound out) to pass through got rid of the audio latency I experienced in atmos over eARC via Xbox and PC and still allowed atmos to pass through. humm maybe not permanently see prior edit 4. However, I can no longer have my reciever upmix to neural x when doing this; it plays based on the source. I tested back and forth and the audio latency was gone/not a problem in pass through, but the latency in auto is horrible. If I lose the ability to use Netflix built in with Atmos though, that's annoying and I might have to move my newer Amazon 4k stick that supports atmos down here.

Seems like it's a bug with the way the internal apps view your hardware. I've had a similar issue before on my 4k fire TV stick.

Hopefully that all made sense.
I'm having issues with the internal apps passing Atmos to apps such as Vudu and Netflix. What were the final settings that you ended up with in order to get Atmos? Also, are there any others out there with this TV that use FandangoNow? I'm asking because I've finally have an app (other than Roku) that allows HDR on the FandangoNow app except only getting stereo sound. Are others finding this as well?

lujan
526 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #2800 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Got my 77C9 put in and spent a few minutes playing with it.

Walt’s in AZ really came through, the set was on a half sized pallet and they actually put a small piece of plywood on the front of the box as added insurance against damage, then the whole thing was strapped down tight to the pallet. Short of possible out of the box defects nobody should have any hesitation ordering one of these from them, it was even delivered by FedEx Freight and the delivery guy was super helpful considering it was “curbside only” delivery.

Initial thoughts;
  • Putting the stand on was a big PITA. I was quite concerned I was going to damage the TV in the process
  • Speaking of the stand, the TV tilts back a few degrees on it and it is a little wobbly. The tilt back from true level is going to bother my inner OCD, it’s hard to believe LG was this sloppy.
  • Out of the box the PQ is remarkable but could benefit from calibration. I set to cinema and did t change any other settings and had my socks blown off by earth 2 on Netflix, watched a couple of movie clips from Panasonic 820 disc player, looked outstanding.
  • Going to take time to get used to the remote, not a fan.
  • Could not believe how lightweight this sucker is for the size.
  • Game mode looks like garbage, going to have to calibrate it.
  • So far just watching content and paying close attention to the picture I don’t see any defects such as obvious color casts, jail bars or other distractions.
  • The sheer gravity of having a set this big in my living room..wow.
Saw my first example of the magenta tint on the lower left side of the screen today while watching the desert episode of Planet Earth II. It was pretty noticeable with the sepia desert tones displayed on screen. I have not noticed it in other content.

Not sure if it will get a little better as the panel ages but it is somewhat disappointing to be seeing these artifacts in a $5200+ television. My circa 2011 Panasonic plasma had a pretty much perfectly uniform gray screen.

Guess in order to get the phenomenal PQ these sets are capable of some trade offs are still necessary.
dfa973 likes this.
post #2801 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Saw my first example of the magenta tint on the lower left side of the screen today while watching the desert episode of Planet Earth II. It was pretty noticeable with the sepia desert tones displayed on screen. I have not noticed it in other content.

Not sure if it will get a little better as the panel ages but it is somewhat disappointing to be seeing these artifacts in a $5200+ television. My circa 2011 Panasonic plasma had a pretty much perfectly uniform gray screen.

Guess in order to get the phenomenal PQ these sets are capable of some trade offs are still necessary.
Yep, those earth tones are harsh on these 2019 sets imo. Same with lighter shades of green and of course white.
post #2802 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by olqxqipz View Post
It seems someone needs to measure the input lag in game mode versus another mode with "instant game response" enabled
I have a PS4 Pro and I’ve turned on this feature and outside game mode the input lag is very noticeable.
post #2803 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
E9 - better physical design and better sound. Go with E9 if you can afford / wait until it drops in price.
Does the better physical design matter if I am mounting the TV to a cabinet without the stand? From what I read, the design is intended to set the stand back enough to make it look like the screen is floating. If I remove the stand, am I taking away a major part of the design element that makes the E9 nicer looking? I realize the audio will still be better.

GB
post #2804 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
They used to call it picture on glass as I recall, it is edge to edge glass and has no border on the edge. The E9 has different look compared to the C9 The screen is exactly the same. The E has a tad bit better speakers and that's it.....
Thanks. I just need to clarify this since I can't seem to find an E9 on display near me. I understand that the underlying OLED element is the same on all models but shouldn't there be some perceptible difference when light travels though glass vs plastic? The same would go for how ambient light reflects off plastic vs glass (unless I'm still misinterpreting what picture on glass means). Is there a slight PQ advantage to a glass covered OLED panel compared to a plastic covered OLED panel (or vice versa). I haven't seen any posts that discuss this and even LG doesn't seem to claim any PQ advantage one way or the other. Is my interpretation wrong and instead they both have the same plastic covered OLED panel but they add a layer of glass over the E9 panel?

GB
post #2805 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechNerd666 View Post
I have a PS4 Pro and I’ve turned on this feature and outside game mode the input lag is very noticeable.
Unfortunately the PS4 Pro does not support ALLM. Only the Xbox consoles support those subset of HDMI 2.1 features such as ALLM and VRR. The expectation is that Sony will support all of these features in their next console.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #2806 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
The trick didn’t work on the C8 either, but the dimming is far less on the C9. I found the dimming that occurred with large static logos (news channels) to be absurd on the C8. With the C9 it’s far more subtle and not at all bothersome.
I can watch news channels and sports and my LG C8 barely dims if at all. It is similar to the LG G7 I owned. However I'm on very early 2018 firmware (03.00.62) which is before later firmware caused all sorts of issues for some people. If I upgrade to the LG C9 I will likely do the same thing and keep it on early/default firmware. LG and Sony in recent years have made a habit of releasing firmware that breaks just as many things as it fixes on their oleds. As soon as the initial reviews are finished and the reviewers have moved on to looking at other sets they seem to release firmware that makes things worse for some.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #2807 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statealum View Post
I can watch news channels and sports and my LG C8 barely dims if at all. It is similar to the LG G7 I owned. However I'm on very early 2018 firmware (03.00.62) which is before later firmware caused all sorts of issues for some people. If I upgrade to the LG C9 I will likely do the same thing and keep it on early/default firmware. LG and Sony in recent years have made a habit of releasing firmware that breaks just as many things as it fixes on their oleds. As soon as the initial reviews are finished and the reviewers have moved on to looking at other sets they seem to release firmware that makes things worse for some.
The dimming is so subtle that it's likely to go unnoticed by most.
Cam1977 likes this.

post #2808 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am looking to buy a C8 or a E9.

I love the design of the E9. Regarding Sound, i have read the differences on paper, but can anyone give a feedback on the real differences regarding sound quality (regular watching, without external spaeakers or soundbar) betwwen C9 vs E9. Does the 40W vs 60W difference and 2.2ch vs 4.2ch, real a noticeable difference or a subtle one?

Thanks
post #2809 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
The dimming is so subtle that it's likely to go unnoticed by most.
I agree the C9 and C8 (on early firmware at least) does have dimming so subtle that most would not notice. Unfortunately I'm sensitive to dimming of all kinds. Based on my previous experience I now use certain hdr games that I am familiar with to stress test and show how bad/good a oled set is in regards to dimming just to see if it is at an acceptable level that I can live with.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #2810 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdrlvt View Post

I love the design of the E9. Regarding Sound, i have read the differences on paper, but can anyone give a feedback on the real differences regarding sound quality (regular watching, without external spaeakers or soundbar) betwwen C9 vs E9. Does the 40W vs 60W difference and 2.2ch vs 4.2ch, real a noticeable difference or a subtle one?

Thanks
I’m not aware of a single E9 owner yet reporting into this thread.

I doubt the sound improvements are too substantial, you will always want to use an external sound system when you can. Most of the difference in E9 is that it is designed to look more as a presentation piece than the other models.
post #2811 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Anybody that owns this set with Xfinity cable know how to get the native DVR guide to show up instead of the LG guide?
post #2812 of 5636 Old 06-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Thanks

Quote:

I doubt the sound improvements are too substantial, you will always want to use an external sound system when you can. Most of the difference in E9 is that it is designed to look more as a presentation piece than the other models.
I've had 65" E9 for about two weeks in my man-cave. You must have missed my post.
I haven't had much time with it, yet.

Regarding sound difference between C and E, I'm sorry I can't help. I also had 65" E8 in our bedroom (my brother took it just before E9 arrived) but I've never used the built-in speakers on these TVs.

That being said, E series are beautiful.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #2813 of 5636 Old 06-02-2019, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShePearl View Post
Quote:

Thanks

Quote:

I've had 65" E9 for about two weeks in my man-cave. You must have missed my post.
I haven't had much time with it, yet.

Regarding sound difference between C and E, I'm sorry I can't help. I also had 65" E8 in our bedroom (my brother took it just before E9 arrived) but I've never used the built-in speakers on these TVs.

That being said, E series are beautiful. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Pics man...sometimes I miss my E6.
post #2814 of 5636 Old 06-02-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statealum View Post
I agree the C9 and C8 (on early firmware at least) does have dimming so subtle that most would not notice. Unfortunately I'm sensitive to dimming of all kinds. Based on my previous experience I now use certain hdr games that I am familiar with to stress test and show how bad/good a oled set is in regards to dimming just to see if it is at an acceptable level that I can live with.
Yes, that may have been the case with the early firmware, but when I received mine it was on later firmware where the dimming was very significant. I never saw the C8 with early iterations of the firmware. It was part of the rationale for me exchanging it for a C9.

I worry that LG winds up implementing something like that on the C9. There were many irate C8 owners after the firmware update where that dimming began as well as other issues. Nothing in the SM was able to fix it beyond the setting that pins the OLED light at 100. Not a good fix.

post #2815 of 5636 Old 06-02-2019, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am not with my TV now but I believe you access the DVR with one of the colored buttons on the remote. Far right if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
post #2816 of 5636 Old 06-02-2019, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I have heard a few different complaints about dimming on the C8 including

- Dimming / undimming too rapidly or in a jarring manner
- Dimming too much
- Engaging for non-logo content like longer fixed angle shots in certain sports or TV
- Dimming the entire scene rather than just the logo
- Incorrectly detecting some dark scenes as static

Can you be a little more specific about which areas are improved on the C9?
post #2817 of 5636 Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I'm having issues with the internal apps passing Atmos to apps such as Vudu and Netflix. What were the final settings that you ended up with in order to get Atmos? Also, are there any others out there with this TV that use FandangoNow? I'm asking because I've finally have an app (other than Roku) that allows HDR on the FandangoNow app except only getting stereo sound. Are others finding this as well?
Initially everything worked fine with Denon AVR set to ARC mode (CEC control enabled), TV set to sound out HDMI ARC, with eARC enabled and Digital Sound set to auto (under sound settings).

I messed with the digital sound to "passthrough" vs "auto" under TV ARC settings and that temporarily broke Atmos on the internal apps. I had to just turn things off and on a bunch of times in different orders to get it to act properly again. Everything is still working fine from internal apps to PC/xbox through TV with it set to Passthrough. PC sounds better with eARC on TV in Passthrough vs Auto.

Try starting your receiver first and having it on TV audio with ARC enabled. If your receiver has an enhanced HDMI setting, make sure that's on too. Obviously your receiver must support eARC and Atmos, and your cables must support ethernet and you have to use HDMI 2.
dfa973 likes this.

Current: LG 77C9 OLED, Denon x6500H @ 7.2.4, Xbox One X, PC w. RTX2080ti
LG 55E6P OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Previous: LG 55" EF9500 OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)
post #2818 of 5636 Old 06-02-2019, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Thanks
I don't have experience with the E9, but the 50% more watts is likely to have noticably louder max volume, if max volume is a concern. The extra channels probably do very little to add immersion.
post #2819 of 5636 Old 06-02-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

Sorry to hear that. At least you got a good deal on yours lol

I do not have any tinting, but mine, as briefly mentioned, has a dead pixel causing a permanent light and dark vertical band that shows in a lot of content. Working with LG to do a panel swap (unfortunately just panel not whole set) and I believe they thought my pics were good enough to make the call to order it. The tech was supposed to come Friday but I got a not so detailed phone call from a lady at their service center saying he ordered the part and we could just schedule the repair (eventually) and he wouldn't need to come to check it first.
I wish I could have talked to him direct to make sure he still tries to get a power supply too as the buzzing is not acceptable.

If all goes well, hopefully the replacement won't have tinting instead

I did not post photos on here of the issue because I do not want LG to claim I stole them from the internet (as they tried to do in the past).
I can post once my issues are resolved.

I have not been having good luck as my theater seats also got directed to California instead of NY and have taken 3 weeks extra now...they brought someone's seats from CA to my house....

At least I quickly got my replacement amp for my one BP9060 that was DOA and my soundsystem sounds great. Been enjoying Hans Zimmer live in Prague blu Ray with Atmos. Oled eye candy too.
dfa973 likes this.

Current: LG 77C9 OLED, Denon x6500H @ 7.2.4, Xbox One X, PC w. RTX2080ti
LG 55E6P OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Previous: LG 55" EF9500 OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)
post #2820 of 5636 Old 06-02-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4462 Post(s)
Liked: 2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post
Please be aware that there seems to be a bug in the way that eARC (not ARC) works. It may be on the LG side, it maybe on the Denon side, it maybe on both. That is to be resolved. The short answer is that 5.1 audio will pass but 7.1 will not (without using an EDID pullout box).
I wish that this was easy to explain.... it is not.

First, you will need to use High Speed HDMI cables; one cable for each device. If you use "active" cables, be sure to have the "TV" or "Display" end connected to the TV. Connect the cable from your TV to the X3400H, to the C9's HDMI2 port. That is for eARC. Connect the other end to the Denon's HDMI port: AUX2. You will select TV Audio on your remote, but use AUX2 as your port.
Second, connect one of the other cables into the C9's HDMI1 port, and the third cable into the HDMI3 port. All three ports are in a line.
Third, connect the other end of the HDMI3 cable to the PS4,
Fourth, connect the other end of the HDMI1 cable to your Spectrum box.

On your X3400H, go to Settings and set the following:
Video
Picture Adjust
Picture Mode Off
HDMI Setup Auto(Dual)
Pass Through Source AUX2
RC Source Select Source Select Only
HDMI Control On
(eARC is automatic with HDMI Control ON)
TV Audio Switching On
Power Off Control Off
Power Savings Off
Smart Menu On
Output Settings
HDMIVideo Output Auto(Dual)
Video Mode Movie
Video Conversion On
i/p Scaler Off
4K Signal Format Enhanced
Inputs
Input Assign AUX2 2
Source Level 0db
On your C9, go to:
1. All Settings -> Connection -> HDMI Device Settings -> Auto Device Detection "ON"
2. All Settings -> Connection -> HDMI Device Settings -> Simplelink (HDMI-CEC) "ON"
3. All Settings -> Connection -> HDMI Device Settings -> Auto Power Sync "ON"
4. All Settings -> Connection -> Device Connector -- follow the prompts. Run the Home Theater (Denon) first.
4a. If the C9 returns that your Denon is a sound bar, go back to step 1. (Auto Device Detection) and turn it "OFF". Re-reun step 4. Re-set Auto Device Detection to "ON".
4b. If the C9 returns that your Denon is an AVR, using eARC from port HDMI2, go to step 5.
5. Continue to Connect your Set-Top Box and Game Console by following the prompts.

Give it all a try. Best wishes.
Quote:
Initially everything worked fine with Denon AVR set to ARC mode (CEC control enabled), TV set to sound out HDMI ARC, with eARC enabled and Digital Sound set to auto (under sound settings).

I messed with the digital sound to "passthrough" vs "auto" under TV ARC settings and that temporarily broke Atmos on the internal apps. I had to just turn things off and on a bunch of times in different orders to get it to act properly again. Everything is still working fine from internal apps to PC/xbox through TV with it set to Passthrough. PC sounds better with eARC on TV in Passthrough vs Auto.

Try starting your receiver first and having it on TV audio with ARC enabled. If your receiver has an enhanced HDMI setting, make sure that's on too. Obviously your receiver must support eARC and Atmos, and your cables must support ethernet and you have to use HDMI 2.
I tried changing all the Denon and LG settings as suggested by "mhmercer" but it didn't seem to change anything except messing up all the Harmony remote activities. The Harmony is responsible for power On and Off, changing Inputs, etc. so when I set "HDMI Control" to "ON" it messes everything up. Hopefully I was able to change everything back on the Denon. The only thing that worked for me is setting "eARC" to "Off" on the C9. I'm now able to listen to Atmos and DD+ using the LG internals apps.

I've always had "4K Signal Format" set to "Enhanced since getting the Denon a year and a 1/2 ago.

It would be great to see if someone with this TV, a Denon AVR and a Harmony remote has been able to get eARC to work correctly. If so, please post settings for both Denon and C9.

lujan
526 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD

Last edited by lujan; 06-02-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
dead , lg oled c9 , pixel dead , pixels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page