2019 C9–E9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2905Likes

post #2881 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I never get anything like what you are showing where the Denon on HDMI 2 also shows up as Apple TV on HDMI 2.

What FW version is your X3400 on and could you share the settings on it? What did you have to do to get it going?

It looks like I will potentially be resetting the X4400 next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I also don't get the Denon to show up but I do get other items such as my Roku but that it connected directly to the LG. The Apple TV is connected to my Denon so that may be why I don't get the Apple TV to show up as a separate device?
xD

Tonight when I get home from work I tell you the version of frimw Denon x3400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked: 2453
I just called Denon and they told me if ARC works then eARC should work (no HDMI Control needed) so I believe it's a problem on the C9 end of things. I'll do a factory reset this afternoon and see if I can get the LG to recognize the Denon this time.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD
post #2883 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
I just called Denon and they told me if ARC works then eARC should work (no HDMI Control needed) so I believe it's a problem on the C9 end of things. I'll do a factory reset this afternoon and see if I can get the LG to recognize the Denon this time.
Interested in your findings please keep us apprised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2884 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 8
New C9 Owner

Over the weekend I replaced my 2014 Vizio P Series 65" with the same size C9 after much researching. I told my wife I'd take it out of the box, get it up on the wall and connected, and then I'd leave it alone and do all of our normal weekend yard/housekeeping chores.

Yea, no chores ever happened. Day turned to night as I picked my jaw up off the floor over and over again in tests with Avengers: Infinity War, Gravity, and John Wick 2, Division 2 in HDR, a few select clips from Our Planet in Dolby Vision, and revisiting some of my favorite scenes from The Matrix, V for Vendetta, and the Battle of Winterfell. And that is how 3 AM will just creep right up on you.

I say all this anecdotally, but if you're at all on the fence about the C9, buy it.
post #2885 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I meant to ask did Denon give you a minimum FW version that is required for it to work and did they give you any needed settings?

Another user posted a whole slew of specific settings including things like expanded HDMI support in order to get his to work.

Or is it just "supposed to work"?
post #2886 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
I meant to ask did Denon give you a minimum FW version that is required for it to work and did they give you any needed settings?
Denon AVR-X4400H has received the HDMI 2.1 ALLM and eARC features with the September and October 2018 firmware updates.
What version of firmware do you have?

"OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more
LG 3D TV --- Denon AVR --- Wharfedale speakers --- Emotiva subs --- Media players: Intel NUC 8th & 7th gen i3's with Pulse-Eight internal HDMI-CEC adapters, Kodi on Win10, one remote to rule them all - the TV remote!
post #2887 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6422 Post(s)
Liked: 6410
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoGo83 View Post
Over the weekend I replaced my 2014 Vizio P Series 65" with the same size C9 after much researching. I told my wife I'd take it out of the box, get it up on the wall and connected, and then I'd leave it alone and do all of our normal weekend yard/housekeeping chores.

Yea, no chores ever happened. Day turned to night as I picked my jaw up off the floor over and over again in tests with Avengers: Infinity War, Gravity, and John Wick 2, Division 2 in HDR, a few select clips from Our Planet in Dolby Vision, and revisiting some of my favorite scenes from The Matrix, V for Vendetta, and the Battle of Winterfell. And that is how 3 AM will just creep right up on you.

I say all this anecdotally, but if you're at all on the fence about the C9, buy it.
Wow, thats a HUGE update, I bet your jaw did hit the floor, see what you have been missing ?
post #2888 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 01:39 PM

I'll look at it. Boys.

The denon x3400 is in the firmware version 2400-5092-8141-5005 DTS version 3.90.50.00

Then in Video / config settings. HDMI I have activated everything.

step of fuento - last
Select RC source - Power + Source
HDMI Control - On
ARC -Activated
Auido Tv Commutator - activated
Shutdown control - all
Energy saving - activated
Intelligent menu - activated

In the C9 I have the audio output by ARC and in automatic
post #2889 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymig View Post
I'll look at it. Boys.

The denon x3400 is in the firmware version 2400-5092-8141-5005 DTS version 3.90.50.00

Then in Video / config settings. HDMI I have activated everything.

step of fuento - last
Select RC source - Power + Source
HDMI Control - On
ARC -Activated
Auido Tv Commutator - activated
Shutdown control - all
Energy saving - activated
Intelligent menu - activated

In the C9 I have the audio output by ARC and in automatic
Thanks! I have FW My X4400H is running FW 5461-5085-8341-5105 and DTS version 3.90.50.51 and no updates show available, it says it's on the latest version.

It appears to be the latest version available.

If your C9 shows ARC and you have not selected eARC in the C9 HDMI audio menu then possibly you have legacy ARC and not eARC working.
post #2890 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Denon AVR-X4400H has received the HDMI 2.1 ALLM and eARC features with the September and October 2018 firmware updates.
What version of firmware do you have?
My X4400H is running FW 5461-5085-8341-5105 and DTS version 3.90.50.51

Unfortunately you need your serial # handy to get access to Denon changelog so while I'm at work there is no way for me to know if it's the latest. Kind of terrible on Denon's part too that they give you no way to show serial # from the device menu you have to get it from the box it shipped in or from the back of the unit (mine's installed in a semi-custom cabinet and getting back there is a PITA).
post #2891 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Another user posted a whole slew of specific settings including things like expanded HDMI support in order to get his to work.

Doing a factory reset was a complete waste of time. I spent over an hour with LG support and they were not able to get eARC to work as well. I kept getting stereo on all internal app sources. Just like before I am able to get Atmos when eARC is turned off. LG said they were sending some trouble report up the chain.

Denon did not give me a specific firmware but they did say the eARC capability was included in a firmware last fall. I brought up HDMI Control to Denon and they didn't seem to care like it is not required for eARC. He specifically said eARC is easier to support than ARC is because it's uncompressed as opposed to ARC which is compressed. He said if ARC works, then eARC should work as well without making any changes on the Denon.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD
post #2892 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I have FW My X4400H is running FW 5461-5085-8341-5105 and DTS version 3.90.50.51 and no updates show available, it says it's on the latest version.

It appears to be the latest version available.

If your C9 shows ARC and you have not selected eARC in the C9 HDMI audio menu then possibly you have legacy ARC and not eARC working.
on TV I have this configuration exactly.

Sound output - By ARC

Digital sound output - Automatic
eARC - ON
post #2893 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymig View Post
on TV I have this configuration exactly.

Sound output - By ARC

Digital sound output - Automatic
eARC - ON
Okay thanks, well certainly yours appears to be working and mine is not. You are also running a completely different FW version than is available to me in the US so not sure how much more I can do to troubleshoot it.

Thanks again for sharing the extra info!
post #2894 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
I brought up HDMI Control to Denon and they didn't seem to care like it is not required for eARC. He specifically said eARC is easier to support than ARC is because it's uncompressed as opposed to ARC which is compressed. He said if ARC works, then eARC should work as well without making any changes on the Denon.
Yes, HDMI Control (aka HDMI CEC) is not used by eARC. Discovery and Audio EDID is passed on the same channel as the audio itself.

eARC can carry lossy compressed, lossless compressed and uncompressed audio so not sure what this "easier to support" nonsense is.

ARC and eARC may share the same wires but are completely different data channels using different encoding and protocols. It's like using a dial up modem or FAX machine on a DSL line. Both work but have no affect on each other. Whether ARC works or not has no bearing on whether eARC works or not. We already know this by people using a non Ethernet cable and having ARC work by eARC not.
post #2895 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
Yes, HDMI Control (aka HDMI CEC) is not used by eARC. Discovery and Audio EDID is passed on the same channel as the audio itself.

eARC can carry lossy compressed, lossless compressed and uncompressed audio so not sure what this "easier to support" nonsense is.

ARC and eARC may share the same wires but are completely different data channels using different encoding and protocols. It's like using a dial up modem or FAX machine on a DSL line. Both work but have no affect on each other. Whether ARC works or not has no bearing on whether eARC works or not. We already know this by people using a non Ethernet cable and having ARC work by eARC not.
Thanks, I also changed out the cable to one I was sure supported Ethernet and still no dice.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD
post #2896 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Thanks, I also changed out the cable to one I was sure supported Ethernet and still no dice.
That one should have it. I've bought some of those as well and they have "with Ethernet" printed on the cable itself.
post #2897 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Okay thanks, well certainly yours appears to be working and mine is not. You are also running a completely different FW version than is available to me in the US so not sure how much more I can do to troubleshoot it.

Quote:
Something else worth trying (if you haven't) is pressing the "Direct" button on your denon remote (next to movie, and game at the bottom of the remote) and try cycling through Auto, Direct, Pure Direct. I believe with my eARC set to " Passthrough " on the TV (vs Auto) and cycling through direct option on the reciever and powering the reciever off and on I got Netflix to display Atmos again after it stopped working. I leave the denon now on Direct, Auto now and eARC on passthrough.

I also noticed when I was switching to internal speakers that support atmos vs something that didn't it would change the Netflix Atmos display logo immediately upon leaving the show's title screen and coming back vs having to completely shut down the app.

Just a thought,
But my case may be different as it was working at one point, and is fine again now.

Current: LG 77C9 OLED, Denon x6500H @ 7.2.4, Xbox One X, PC w. RTX2080ti
LG 55E6P OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Previous: LG 55" EF9500 OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Last edited by Tomcup; 06-03-2019 at 06:44 PM.
post #2898 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Doing a factory reset was a complete waste of time. I spent over an hour with LG support and they were not able to get eARC to work as well. I kept getting stereo on all internal app sources. Just like before I am able to get Atmos when eARC is turned off. LG said they were sending some trouble report up the chain.

Denon did not give me a specific firmware but they did say the eARC capability was included in a firmware last fall. I brought up HDMI Control to Denon and they didn't seem to care like it is not required for eARC. He specifically said eARC is easier to support than ARC is because it's uncompressed as opposed to ARC which is compressed. He said if ARC works, then eARC should work as well without making any changes on the Denon.
Did you try a reset of the Denon?
post #2899 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just bought the LG C9 at best buy on sale for $3199 plus got a $320 gift card. So far, I really like it alot. Picture is amazing. Played a few games on it, and it looked great. I really love webOS interface. It has improved alot since my last LG 4k tv back in 2014. I look forward to calibrating it in the future.

Bought the 5 year best buy warranty to cover burn-in, so I plan to have this set in the long run.
sadsushi likes this.
post #2900 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I watched my first movie on the new 65c9 and have a few questions

What are the best settings for motion to get rid of soap opera effect? What does oled motion do?

Also I saw weird white flashes in the black letterbox bars what is this? Also why did the picture node change to standard after hdr mode triggered.

I am coming from a Sony led and the motion bothered me with tru motion off. How do you get the motion to look better?

Thanks in advance otherwise the tv is quite impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2901 of 4535 Old 06-03-2019, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My X4400H is running FW 5461-5085-8341-5105 and DTS version 3.90.50.51

Unfortunately you need your serial # handy to get access to Denon changelog so while I'm at work there is no way for me to know if it's the latest.
You can use this placeholder serial number to download your Denon updates: 5555555555
What is your location? Your profile does not mention the country (because firmware versions and updates are region dependent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post

What are the best settings for motion to get rid of soap opera effect? What does oled motion do?

Also I saw weird white flashes in the black letterbox bars what is this? Also why did the picture node change to standard after hdr mode triggered.

I am coming from a Sony led and the motion bothered me with tru motion off. How do you get the motion to look better?

Thanks in advance otherwise the tv is quite impressive
Read the RTINGS review and use their settings for your C9.
jmpage2 likes this.

LG 3D TV --- Denon AVR --- Wharfedale speakers --- Emotiva subs --- Media players: Intel NUC 8th & 7th gen i3's with Pulse-Eight internal HDMI-CEC adapters, Kodi on Win10, one remote to rule them all - the TV remote!
post #2902 of 4535 Old 06-04-2019, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

In my defense I would add that after reading upwards of ten reviews of C9 product I saw no mention of these issues getting EARC tested. I also saw no mention of the recline angle of the set on the stand (potentially would have been a deal breaker), no mention of color tint (potentially deal breaker), etc. As always reviews are glowing and owners get to find out what's up for themselves after spending their $.
The color tint was recently mentioned in Vincent Teoh’s review on YouTube when he compared the C9 to the Q90R side by side.
post #2903 of 4535 Old 06-04-2019, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1184 View Post
Just bought the LG C9 at best buy on sale for $3199 plus got a $320 gift card. So far, I really like it alot. Picture is amazing. Played a few games on it, and it looked great. I really love webOS interface. It has improved alot since my last LG 4k tv back in 2014. I look forward to calibrating it in the future.

Bought the 5 year best buy warranty to cover burn-in, so I plan to have this set in the long run.
Just don’t try using eARC yet.
post #2904 of 4535 Old 06-04-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:

It's funny since the denon page is global.

try to update by usb and the same version continues to me.

the funny thing is that everything works well for me. Yesterday night check if you received dolby atmos and it is affirmative, it works perfectly too.
post #2905 of 4535 Old 06-04-2019, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post

Quote:

Unfortunately the Rtings review really doesn't give too much input on the motion settings. Other than recommending NOT to use OLED Motion (BFI) and kind of recommending to keep everything off except True Cinema.
I personally like a little bit of smoothing as natural 24p judder is not appealing to me. After trying "Clear" for a while, the artifacting it caused on objects moving across light backgrounds bothered me too much so I started trying other options.

Anything above 0/0 introduces some artificating. I used to be able to use 0/10 on my E6 with no artifacts.
I have settled on 2/2 so far, for the mild smoothing and as little artifacts as possible in 24p and 60p content.

Current: LG 77C9 OLED, Denon x6500H @ 7.2.4, Xbox One X, PC w. RTX2080ti
LG 55E6P OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Previous: LG 55" EF9500 OLED (Self calibrated with Colormunki Display and HCFR)

Last edited by Tomcup; 06-04-2019 at 02:51 AM. Reason: added original quote
post #2906 of 4535 Old 06-04-2019, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you try a reset of the Denon?
No, but I just saved my current configuration in case I need to.

lujan
516 Ultra HD
727 HD
4 SD
post #2907 of 4535 Old 06-04-2019, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcup View Post
Unfortunately the Rtings review really doesn't give too much input on the motion settings. Other than recommending NOT to use OLED Motion (BFI) and kind of recommending to keep everything off except True Cinema.
RTINGS is not the TV bible. My advice was more like: use them as a starting point and adjust for your eyes.
lsorensen likes this.

post #2908 of 4535 Old 06-04-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
You can use this placeholder serial number to download your Denon updates: 5555555555
What is your location? Your profile does not mention the country (because firmware versions and updates are region dependent).

I am in the USA. Thanks for the tip on the placeholder serial number. Unfortunately Denon still can't make it easy. The update is simply labeled "USB Update Feb 6 2019". Looking at the FirmInfo.xml the version is listed as 0201901250511.
post #2909 of 4535 Old 06-04-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
The color tint was recently mentioned in Vincent Teoh’s review on YouTube when he compared the C9 to the Q90R side by side.
But AFAIK he made no mention of it in his main C9 review which is the one most would be looking at.
post #2910 of 4535 Old 06-04-2019, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am in the USA. Thanks for the tip on the placeholder serial number. Unfortunately Denon still can't make it easy. The update is simply labeled "USB Update Feb 6 2019". Looking at the FirmInfo.xml the version is listed as 0201901250511.
That is not the version you are looking for.

Available for download should be also a TEXT file with the change log - inside the text file there are mentions of the actual version numbers xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx - compare them with what you have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
dead , pixel dead , pixels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page