Extended warranty for OLED, good idea? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenbar
  • 1 Post By Dolby2020

post #1 of 20 Old 03-21-2019, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Extended warranty for OLED, good idea?

I'm considering buying an LG C8 and was wondering if anyone on this thread has had experiences with extended warranty. Are they recommended for an OLED, and has anyone had experiences with Squaretrade, CPS, or any others they'd recommend or want to steer a prospective buyer away from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-21-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby2020 View Post
I'm considering buying an LG C8 and was wondering if anyone on this thread has had experiences with extended warranty. Are they recommended for an OLED, and has anyone had experiences with Squaretrade, CPS, or any others they'd recommend or want to steer a prospective buyer away from.
Geek squad (Best Buy) is considered the best as they cover BI. But they are rather expensive.
Dolby2020 likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-21-2019, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Geek squad (Best Buy) is considered the best as they cover BI. But they are rather expensive.

Thanks for reply. BI insurance would be great, but not planning on purchasing from Best Buy.
Kenbar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-21-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Unfortunately, most other (non-BB) extended warranties do not cover BI.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #5 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Unfortunately, most other (non-BB) extended warranties do not cover BI.
Check your credit cards, they usually offer one year or more for free, pick the one that lasts the longest.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyy2 View Post
Check your credit cards, they usually offer one year or more for free, pick the one that lasts the longest.
Credit card extended warranties typically only cover things that the manufacturer's warranty covers, and the LG warranty doesn't cover burn in. Only the BB warranty does.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-22-2019, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Credit card extended warranties typically only cover things that the manufacturer's warranty covers, and the LG warranty doesn't cover burn in. Only the BB warranty does.

"Thanks for reply. BI insurance would be great, but not planning on purchasing from Best Buy."
post #8 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Citi additional 2 years.

Don't have personal experience with extended warranties except an American Express ~20yr ago(didn't really do anything for me) and Sony ~10 years ago. Got very lucky with Sony - all money back(minus ~$95 phone diagnostic fee) for a dead pixel and kept the TV.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited by bad_oled; 03-23-2019 at 05:14 AM.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Extended warranties on A/V equipment are a huge waste of money IMO. Solid state electronics like TVs typically fail early on (because they are defective out of the factory) or very late in their lifespan (10+ years). It's extremely rare for a TV to just stop working after a few years. There's a reason stores like BB push for extended warranties so much, because they are a money making enterprise. The only time extended warranties might make sense on electronics IMO is portable electronics like phones/laptops that experience regular wear and tear.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Extended warranties on A/V equipment are a huge waste of money IMO. Solid state electronics like TVs typically fail early on (because they are defective out of the factory) or very late in their lifespan (10+ years). It's extremely rare for a TV to just stop working after a few years. There's a reason stores like BB push for extended warranties so much, because they are a money making enterprise. The only time extended warranties might make sense on electronics IMO is portable electronics like phones/laptops that experience regular wear and tear.
Friend of mine swears by BBY warranties - had at least 2 items replaced within last decade, at least one of them was tv.

I had an interesting experience once - Samsung update broke smart TV search. Samsung attempted to fix it by replacing motherboard (idiots) but an automatic update killed it again. They replaced the TV with newer model and by the time I received new TV they had new update which fixed the issue. This wasn't extended warranty, not sure if extended warranty would cover it

post #11 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_oled View Post
Friend of mine swears by BBY warranties - had at least 2 items replaced within last decade, at least one of them was tv.

I had an interesting experience once - Samsung update broke smart TV search. Samsung attempted to fix it by replacing motherboard (idiots) but an automatic update killed it again. They replaced the TV with newer model and by the time I received new TV they had new update which fixed the issue. This wasn't extended warranty, not sure if extended warranty would cover it

That is a good point that as the software for TVs becomes more complicated/bloated, there are more points of failure.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. I've never purchased an extended warranty. These are huge money making enterprises because the failure rate during the extended warranty timeframe is very low. You are much better off saving your money.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. I've never purchased an extended warranty. These are huge money making enterprises because the failure rate during the extended warranty timeframe is very low. You are much better off saving your money.
From personal experience I would say it really depends on the cost of the warranty. Extended warranty I had through Sony covered me only up to warranty amount or price paid which I believe was $600-700. I think I paid either a $50 or $100 for 5 year warranty. After a few years I noticed a dead pixel which was probably there since day one. I called the shop and they did the diagnostics over the phone and requested a new panel. Warranty decided to just give me the money back minus the diagnostic fee and I ended up keeping the TV.

I don't know if such warranties are still offered and whether I just got very lucky.

If such warranties are still offered and if there are any issues with the screen other than BI then you're going to get a new panel or the money back.

But regardless I would go with Citi card additional 2 years even on top of any extended warranty as you would have up to 7 years I believe.

I have not purchased an extended warranty since sony one from 10 + years ago and so far have never had issues with anything I purchased... except for tires. I wish I purchased a road hazard warranty since I had very bad luck with 3 within the first 10,000 miles... And unfortunately credit cards don't offer any kinds of tire warranty but if I am wrong on this please let me know

Last edited by bad_oled; 03-23-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4297 Post(s)
Liked: 3720
I don't think warranty stacking is allowed.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I did credit card and threw a cheap squaretrade on it which takes me to 5 years.

Does not cover bi but I am not worried abut that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #16 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I only needed one with a Loewe 38' Aconda. Needed service work twice. Then went up in smoke a few years later. Otherwise out of around 30 displays i never needed one.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #17 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
I did credit card and threw a cheap squaretrade on it which takes me to 5 years.

Does not cover bi but I am not worried abut that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Why you don't worry about bi? I think that's the main thing to be worried about unless you know what you're doing and the setting to use minimizes the possibility of BI.. can you share or paste a link for those settings?

post #18 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 3155
Quote:
Why you don't worry about bi? I think that's the main thing to be worried about unless you know what you're doing and the setting to use minimizes the possibility of BI.. can you share or paste a link for those settings?

BI hype is mostly LCDers posting in the OLED threads. While it happens, it is more rare than one reading these threads would think. Rtings test shows that it takes work to accomplish it. Stay away from hours of CNN like logos and you’ll be good to go. 2 years with my C7 and like many others no issues. Just don’t use Vivid as your preferred picture mode - search this thread using “settings.”

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #19 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
BI hype is mostly LCDers posting in the OLED threads. While it happens, it is more rare than one reading these threads would think. Rtings test shows that it takes work to accomplish it. Stay away from hours of CNN like logos and you’ll be good to go. 2 years with my C7 and like many others no issues. Just don’t use Vivid as your preferred picture mode - search this thread using “settings.”
I was under the impression that depends on the panel you get with your TV.
I don't watch CNN but I watch ABC cbs nbc Fox news Bill Maher John Oliver Seinfeld two and a half men..

Bill Maher has a static image on the background for the first few minutes on every show. John Oliver has moving images on the left and right side throughout most of the 30 minutes. Can these things result in burn in?

I don't watch these shows for hours but maybe 30 minutes a day at most an hour. Also I like to watch YouTube videos and according to the tech who replaced my panel YouTube buttons is not good for OLED. (although I'm not sure which buttons he was referring to because buttons disappear. maybe newer a version changed it)

Last edited by bad_oled; 03-24-2019 at 05:07 PM.
post #20 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

Because quite frankly, from the 2 plasmas and my B7 (going on 18months) I have had ZERO burn issues. The way to get burn is quite documented and i simply don't do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page