• 1 Post By Seilerbird
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Setting up a new media room

I am setting up a new media room and replacing my display. I am considering OLED, 65 inch, though several people on here have recommended a projector. I will be at about a 66" viewing distance, give or take. There will rarely be a second row of seating behind that so I am only worried about primary seating. Having never owned a 4k TV, is a 65 inch TV enough, or too big, or too small? Do I need a projector?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Design 2 - back entry.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2543230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Craftsman bedroom_media room.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	2543232  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3145 Post(s)
Liked: 2191
How far away will your equipment (devices) be from the C8? I have a 65 C8 and sit about 10' away and have the C8 on a media console. For us, that is perfect because eye level is dead center to the panel and we can take in the entire screen without moving our heads right to left or up (if wall mounted). Of course that is a personal preference so there is no right or wrong when mounting your tv. I don't have a projector but they are very nice if you have the space and are setup correctly.
DeruDog likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 64
66" is only 5.5', isn't that pretty close for a projector?
Seems like it may also be extremely close for a 65"

I would bring a tape measure with you to Best Buy (or equivalent) and watch some TV trying to view 4k, 1080, and 720 if possible and see how it all looks to you.

Different people how different limits on how close they like to watch TV, so make sure what you buy will be what YOU like not what someone likes.

Good luck on your choice.
DeruDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
How far away will your equipment (devices) be from the C8? I have a 65 C8 and sit about 10' away and have the C8 on a media console. For us, that is perfect because eye level is dead center to the panel and we can take in the entire screen without moving our heads right to left or up (if wall mounted). Of course that is a personal preference so there is no right or wrong when mounting your tv. I don't have a projector but they are very nice if you have the space and are setup correctly.

I have a 65B6 and moved my sofa so that I could sit a few feet closer than that.
There is no right and wrong. To each his own.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyy2 View Post
I have a 65B6 and moved my sofa so that I could sit a few feet closer than that.
There is no right and wrong. To each his own.
That's what I said in my response. It's a personal preference and there is no right or wrong .

post #6 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 359
What are the measurements of the room? I would almost consider using the wall where the headboard of the bed is as a good place for a screen.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Seating distance is a good question. I have some flexibility, though I think eyeball to screen will be about 6 feet. I will have the screen on a media stand in line with the front of the speakers, so I will have the flexibility to move the screen back to the wall if I feel like I am too close. Or move the seating forward or back a foot or two. Right now I am starting with the THX recommended .85 of the distance to screen for the screen size.

Good to know that a 65" at 10 feet feels about right for you.

Once I zero in on where I want to sit, I will install Atmos accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Media Room idea 2.png
Views:	11
Size:	1,011.9 KB
ID:	2543464  
post #8 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
What are the measurements of the room? I would almost consider using the wall where the headboard of the bed is as a good place for a screen.
I considered that as an option as well. It will mean that the right-side speakers are much farther from their side-wall than the left-side. I don't know how much of a problem that would be.

The room is about 14x17 I am guessing, though I will have to measure it once I get there to consider final designs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Media Room idea 1.png
Views:	16
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2543466   Click image for larger version

Views:	13
ID:	2543468  
post #9 of 20 Old 03-23-2019, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyy2 View Post
66" is only 5.5', isn't that pretty close for a projector?
Seems like it may also be extremely close for a 65"

I would bring a tape measure with you to Best Buy (or equivalent) and watch some TV trying to view 4k, 1080, and 720 if possible and see how it all looks to you.

Different people how different limits on how close they like to watch TV, so make sure what you buy will be what YOU like not what someone likes.

Good luck on your choice.
That is exactly what I was thinking: going off of the chart recommendations and then figuring it out from there. I have a little flexibility to move the seating back or the screen forward, but once I do the Best-Buy run I will decide whether to go with 55 or 65.

At this point I do think OLED will be far superior to projector, and since I have no plans for second-row requirements, I don't think a projector is right for me.

Thanks for your comment. It is good to hear from people who are actually using the equipment I am considering and hearing what they think. I am upgrading from a 10-yr-old 1080p 48", and moving every couple of years to a new apartment while serving in the military. I am excited to design something that I will be able to keep and use for the foreseeable future.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	7
ID:	2543470  
post #10 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 05:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeruDog View Post
I considered that as an option as well. It will mean that the right-side speakers are much farther from their side-wall than the left-side. I don't know how much of a problem that would be.

The room is about 14x17 I am guessing, though I will have to measure it once I get there to consider final designs.

If you are mounting on speaker stands, it shouldn't matter at all, other than the consideration of covering up the speaker wire, which you can do with tape and/or a rug/carpet.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not trying to push you toward a projector, but if you really do have a 17 x 14 space, you have the room for it. I have a 13 x 12 area with a 110 " screen and full 7.1.4 atmos configuration and it's a lot of fun watching movies in there! If you're interested, I have posted a few pictures of how my HT space is setup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail7.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2543514   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail5.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	2543516   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	2543518   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2543520   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2543522  

Gillietalls likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not trying to push you toward a projector, but if you really do have a 17 x 14 space, you have the room for it. I have a 13 x 12 area with a 110 " screen and full 7.1.4 atmos configuration and it's a lot of fun watching movies in there! If you're interested, I have posted a few pictures of how my HT space is setup.
The photos are very helpful for me: some of the layouts I have come up with were concerning to me since the speakers might be too close to the listener. Do you have any issues with this on your surround and rear speakers when someone sits in the seat right next to the speaker?
post #13 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The photos are very helpful for me: some of the layouts I have come up with were concerning to me since the speakers might be too close to the listener. Do you have any issues with this on your surround and rear speakers when someone sits in the seat right next to the speaker?

To be honest, my setup is mostly geared toward the middle two seats, since I rarely have company. However, I have sat in the outer seats for testing and didn't have a bad experience at all. When I run Audyssey, I start out with the mic in the very middle of the 4 row seating (on the arm rest toward back near ear height), then do all four seating positions at the rear toward ear height, then come back to the middle arm rest again, this time about 10 inches forward, then the same forward area of the two middle seats. This seems to help with getting a fairly balanced listening experience across all seating positions. I think 3 seats would have been easier to work with for this setup but I pushed it to 4 as I want to be able to have two couples sitting in the theater at the same time with a similar experience for all.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Here is my setup for reference. I am right at 6' from eyeball to screen surface. It is perfect to me. Turn off the lights and it feels like I am middle to the back of a theater with better sound. Besides sitting close to a big TV is cheaper and easier than projection with the goodies of HDR, Dolby Vision,and brightness.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190221_201013.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	835.9 KB
ID:	2543572  

TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Top: Yamaha NS-AW1, Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se--- 5.3.4 setup
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #15 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I have a 55 inch OLED LG P6 and it is in a very small room about 12 x 8 feet and I sit 5 feet from the screen. I would not mind it being larger.
DeruDog likes this.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #16 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Seating distance is a good question. I have some flexibility, though I think eyeball to screen will be about 6 feet. I will have the screen on a media stand in line with the front of the speakers, so I will have the flexibility to move the screen back to the wall if I feel like I am too close. Or move the seating forward or back a foot or two. Right now I am starting with the THX recommended .85 of the distance to screen for the screen size.

Good to know that a 65" at 10 feet feels about right for you.

Once I zero in on where I want to sit, I will install Atmos accordingly.
Distance charts are nice as a starting point but it really comes down to what is comfortable to you. There are folks who sit 4' away from a 65" tv and feel that's perfectly fine. The other distance consideration is cable length.
DeruDog likes this.

post #17 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
To be honest, my setup is mostly geared toward the middle two seats, since I rarely have company. However, I have sat in the outer seats for testing and didn't have a bad experience at all. When I run Audyssey, I start out with the mic in the very middle of the 4 row seating (on the arm rest toward back near ear height), then do all four seating positions at the rear toward ear height, then come back to the middle arm rest again, this time about 10 inches forward, then the same forward area of the two middle seats. This seems to help with getting a fairly balanced listening experience across all seating positions. I think 3 seats would have been easier to work with for this setup but I pushed it to 4 as I want to be able to have two couples sitting in the theater at the same time with a similar experience for all.
Yeah, I am thinking about the same things you did. While I have a little more space, that I intend to have in the back of the room, I would like to have two couples listening at the same time. If I set that up in a side-by-side configuration, the edge-listeners are pretty close to the surrounds. Anyway, I will mostly be watching TV/movies alone or with my wife so I am focussing on that.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Chmiel View Post
Here is my setup for reference. I am right at 6' from eyeball to screen surface. It is perfect to me. Turn off the lights and it feels like I am middle to the back of a theater with better sound. Besides sitting close to a big TV is cheaper and easier than projection with the goodies of HDR, Dolby Vision,and brightness.

What kind of ceiling speakers are those?
post #19 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
What kind of ceiling speakers are those?
Yamaha NS-AW1. They are indoor/outdoor speakers. Like the rest of my speakers, no longer in production. I had one pair from ages ago when I bought new and was using as Atmos 5.1.2 when I set up the room. After 8 months I wanted more and got a new receiver and was lucky to find another pair still sealed in box on ebay for super cheap.

TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Top: Yamaha NS-AW1, Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se--- 5.3.4 setup
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #20 of 20 Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Chmiel View Post
Yamaha NS-AW1. They are indoor/outdoor speakers. Like the rest of my speakers, no longer in production. I had one pair from ages ago when I bought new and was using as Atmos 5.1.2 when I set up the room. After 8 months I wanted more and got a new receiver and was lucky to find another pair still sealed in box on ebay for super cheap.

Nice! They look like they can bring the noise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
oled , projector advice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page