Comparison thread LG vs sony vs panasonic oleds 2019 - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #121 of 177 Old 05-06-2019, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 355
So the panasonic GZ models wont be supporting eARC, i have come to learn from visiting the local store on sunday. Sony has eARC and lg has eARC plus other hdmi 2.1 features. If hdmi 2.1 features is what youre after, lg is ahead and panasonic is behind (only standard arc support). With pricing, the panasonic gz950 will come out a little lower than the lg c9, gz2000 will be priced higher than c9 and a little higher than a9g, official prices still awaited. Uk has the prices and what i was told about the pricing in my country is in line with the uk pricing. Lg's cheapest oled advantage from previous years is no longer an advantage this year. A couple of stores in uk have begun taking preorders for the pana. gz2000, but it will be a much longer wait in my country. I hope the sony a9g/a9f is nice enough to satisfy me, if i dont have the patience to wait for panasonic. If i had the money to spare i would ideally get both, have a a9g/a9f in the next month or so and then get a 55 gz2000 later in the year, but i can only have one and sony is what i'll most probably end up with , though some things about the gz2000 are enticing.

The a9g is supposed to be available here after may 20th and the 77 a9g model in the second week of june. Wonder how long we'll have to wait for reviews of the a9g from sites like rtings and hdtvtest (reviews would not be before june i guess?), the reviews will decide if im going with the a9g or a9f.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 177 Old 05-11-2019, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 284
https://twitter.com/Vincent_Teoh/sta...30109116252163

Apparently 800 nits peak for the GZ2000
post #123 of 177 Old 05-11-2019, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

But the 2000 still looks close to the reference dolby pulsar monitor (4000 nits) on a perceptual level in the video in the link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxSEP85A...d=odwfaf8xei6c

Vincent was asked screen of the year, he replied sure looks like. Well this is the reason one part of me says i should wait few more months for the GZ2000. The fine tuned image quality, color balance and skin tones (you could avoid calibrating it) this tv puts out cannot be matched by a lg c9 or probably even sony a9g. Just don't know if i'll have the patience to wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 177 Old 05-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 128
The GZ2000 is the OLED of the year. Looking forward to September.

Sony A9F, LG E9, LG B6 (retired)
post #125 of 177 Old 05-12-2019, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

The dolby pulsar is not an oled, its native resolution is 1080p and it is spec'd to 4000 nits for highlight detail with almost no abl , it's a 42 inch monitor. It's not available in the consumer market, can be bought comercially and costs upward of 30000 usd. The panasonic gz2000 they have in the comparison video above is 800 nits for highlights, has the oled abl limitations and is miles cheaper than the pulsar, but the panasonic tuned custom panel is making the gz2000 look quite close to the dolby pulsar on a perceptual level, both with apl and highlights. Though the comparison above is a night scene, in bright daylight scenes with high apl, the pulsar should still look brighter side by side.
From that video, i do not doubt the GZ2000 will beat other tv's this year in picture quality. If vincent can have the 2000 at the hdtvtest shootout , then best home theater tv and best overall tv would go to panasonic. i dont see lg and sony oleds and samsung qled exactly matching this.

GZ2000 will lack eARC, gaming features and hdmi 2.1, and the OS is also a bit dated compared to lg, those are the drawbacks compared to lg but purely as a home theater tv for movie watching, the panasonic will win.
post #126 of 177 Old 05-12-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 128
The Panasonic GZ2000 caught my attention since day one. Special panel, Great colors, shadow detail and Dolby Vision rendered Panasonic style. Icing on the cake is Atmos upfiring speakers from the tv. If it is in the shootout, it will take prizes home. Hopefully Vincent includes this tv for the shootout.

Sony A9F, LG E9, LG B6 (retired)
post #127 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

From the uk forums, i'm getting that the 30% brighter panel panasonic claims will be for higher APL (scene brightness) compared to other oleds. I think that matters more than how bright one specular highlight on a small portion of the image can get.
post #128 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked: 7994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
But the 2000 still looks close to the reference dolby pulsar monitor (4000 nits) on a perceptual level in the video in the link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxSEP85A...d=odwfaf8xei6c

Vincent was asked screen of the year, he replied sure looks like. Well this is the reason one part of me says i should wait few more months for the GZ2000. The fine tuned image quality, color balance and skin tones (you could avoid calibrating it) this tv puts out cannot be matched by a lg c9 or probably even sony a9g. Just don't know if i'll have the patience to wait.
No, actually Vincent was asked, "A strong contender for screen of the year?"(emphasis mine). There is a difference between 'contender', meaning one of several candidates, and 'winner'.

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
post #129 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
No, actually Vincent was asked, "A strong contender for screen of the year?"(emphasis mine). There is a difference between 'contender', meaning one of several candidates, and 'winner'.
Contender was how the guy on instagram framed the question to vincent, to which he replied , sure looks like. But if you have also been following vincent's other comments on the gz2000, he was standing at the panasonic booth at ces in january when he said the gz2000 could be the best tv of the year. Panasonic for the last two years it has been at the hdtvtest shootout hosted by vincent has beaten lg (and sony) and what i can make from the video above of the gz2000 next to the dolby pulsar, this looks a definite improvement over panasonic last year's models. I'm willing to put good money that if the gz2000 (not any of the lower panasonic models) makes it to the hdtvtest shootout, then the gz2000 has the home theater and overall best tv category tv locked to itself, the c9 or a9 or the scamsung qled will not beat this. If you're a gamer, i still contend the c9 is the best tv choice this year. For a home theater tv purely for 4k bd and netflix watching, the gz2000 would be it. Im still not sure if i'll get this tv as it'll be a late launch this year in my country and i might not have the patience to wait until then, i could have gone sony a9 by then don't know yet, but regardless this tv deserves points, because if panasonic engineers can fine tune a 800 nit oled out of the factory to almost be a match for the dolby pulsar side by side, that is a testament to their engineering prowess.
post #130 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2291 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
Quote:
All Panasonic OLED TV models that participated in UK shootouts, in which Vincent Teoh was in charge, have won thusfar. He probably expects the GZ2000 to win in 2019 also...though is not going to say upfront in public who he thinks is going to win...
Best UK Shootout TV of 2017:Panasonic 65EZ1002B
Best UK Shootout TV of 2018:Panasonic FZ802
post #131 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
All Panasonic OLED TV models that participated in UK shootouts, in which Vincent Teoh was in charge, have won thusfar. He probably expects the GZ2000 to win in 2019 also...though is not going to say upfront in public who he thinks is going to win...
A bit silly to crown a winner when neither of these TVs (A9G and GZ2000) have been released or tested.

And FWIW, the 2018 UK shootout did not include the Sony A9F. Vincent made a separate video comparing the A9F to the Panasonic and could not say that one was better than the other.
Ken Ross likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6

Last edited by Micolash; 05-14-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #132 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Vincent has always personally preferred the panasonics, in reviews he has said panasonic's tone mapping has the most balanced approach.
If the hdtvtest shootout results dont convince you, then think to youurself why are hollywood grading suites using panasonic oled and not sony or lg.
And this year, there is one definite advantage on the panasonic gz2000 - the custom panel, no other brand has a custom panel. if the pana. oleds won in previous years, this year they have their strongest product (assuming the gz2000 makes it to the shootout) to take on the a9g and the c9/e9, i dont think most people who have researched the gz2000 would doubt that it won't win. sure the sony or lg won't be miles apart, but the subtle advantages of the gz2000 will be evident side by side.
of course none of this applies to the u.s. shootouts.
post #133 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Contender was how the guy on instagram framed the question to vincent, to which he replied , sure looks like. But if you have also been following vincent's other comments on the gz2000, he was standing at the panasonic booth at ces in january when he said the gz2000 could be the best tv of the year. Panasonic for the last two years it has been at the hdtvtest shootout hosted by vincent has beaten lg (and sony) and what i can make from the video above of the gz2000 next to the dolby pulsar, this looks a definite improvement over panasonic last year's models. I'm willing to put good money that if the gz2000 (not any of the lower panasonic models) makes it to the hdtvtest shootout, then the gz2000 has the home theater and overall best tv category tv locked to itself, the c9 or a9 or the scamsung qled will not beat this. If you're a gamer, i still contend the c9 is the best tv choice this year. For a home theater tv purely for 4k bd and netflix watching, the gz2000 would be it. Im still not sure if i'll get this tv as it'll be a late launch this year in my country and i might not have the patience to wait until then, i could have gone sony a9 by then don't know yet, but regardless this tv deserves points, because if panasonic engineers can fine tune a 800 nit oled out of the factory to almost be a match for the dolby pulsar side by side, that is a testament to their engineering prowess.
My post was to clarify what you originally said the poster said. The way you phrased it was misleading.

Further, watching a TV on its own will never tell you if it's the best display of the year or not. Best for what? SD? HD? HDR? Upconversion? Motion? It's absolutely impossible to make all those judgements without all TVs being in the same room, properly calibrated.

I have little interest in the Panasonic since it seems unlikely we'll see it here in the U.S. anyway. Even if it were, I would have little confidence, given their history, that Panasonic would be here for the long term.

post #134 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Well then, no need to waste time with a shootout. We already know the answer. I truly hope that Vincent does not take that attitude to the shootout. Hugely unscientific.

post #135 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Vincent has always personally preferred the panasonics, in reviews he has said panasonic's tone mapping has the most balanced approach.
If the hdtvtest shootout results dont convince you, then think to youurself why are hollywood grading suites using panasonic oled and not sony or lg.
And this year, there is one definite advantage on the panasonic gz2000 - the custom panel, no other brand has a custom panel. if the pana. oleds won in previous years, this year they have their strongest product (assuming the gz2000 makes it to the shootout) to take on the a9g and the c9/e9, i dont think most people who have researched the gz2000 would doubt that it won't win. sure the sony or lg won't be miles apart, but the subtle advantages of the gz2000 will be evident side by side.
The bottom line is that all these OLEDs, Panasonic/LG/Sony/Whatever, are so close in performance that it's nothing more than splitting hairs. Each has some advantages and disadvantages.

post #136 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what his personal preference is (not sure how you would even know), when he compared both objectively he could not say either one was superior to the other.

I couldn't care less what Hollywood grading suites prefer as their reference monitor. They have their own needs and if Panasonic does what they need better than other brands, more power to them. But we are talking about what is best for consumer use. There is more to a consumer display than just color accuracy...

Again, wait until these displays are out and fully tested instead of believing the marketing specs. Vincent's early look at the GZ2000 already reveals it might not get close to the assumed 1000 nits...
Ken Ross likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #137 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well then, no need to waste time with a shootout. We already know the answer. I truly hope that Vincent does not take that attitude to the shootout. Hugely unscientific.
Teoh will know upfront what these displays are going to deliver and which one is best...he probably got a good idea about that right now. Which is what I am talking about. Surely he has preferences so have all TV experts and judges at shootouts...nothing wrong with that.
post #138 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Teoh will know upfront what these displays are going to deliver and which one is best...he probably got a good idea about that right now. Which is what I am talking about. Surely he has preferences so have all TV experts and judges at shootouts...nothing wrong with that.
What's wrong is prejudging and letting that influence you in comparisons and what's wrong is generalizing at to what is 'best'. As I said before, best in what? I've yet to see any manufacturer, using LG OLED panels, to be 'best' in every category. For some one category is more important than another.

post #139 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My post was to clarify what you originally said the poster said. The way you phrased it was misleading.

Further, watching a TV on its own will never tell you if it's the best display of the year or not. Best for what? SD? HD? HDR? Upconversion? Motion? It's absolutely impossible to make all those judgements without all TVs being in the same room, properly calibrated.

I have little interest in the Panasonic since it seems unlikely we'll see it here in the U.S. anyway. Even if it were, I would have little confidence, given their history, that Panasonic would be here for the long term.
Like i said this, vincent also said after lookinng at the gz2000 at ces that this could be the tv of the year, so there's more to it than what the guy on instagram asked. Seeing that pana. previous years' models have won the side by side shootouts hosted in uk, i dont see any reason why their best oled tv to date which has a custom panel would not win (that is assuming the gz2000 makes it to the shootout). I demoed the fz950 last year, the gz2000 from the videos appears noticeably better.

That's okay if you have little interest in panasonic, seeing that you bought the lg. the only thing you need to care in the u.s. how the c9 will fare against the a9g in the shootout.
post #140 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
A bit silly to crown a winner when neither of these TVs (A9G and GZ2000) have been released or tested.
Actually it happens at times that posters and experts know upfront who is going to win...it does not even need to be released. The Sharp Elite Pro comes to mind. There was one guy, Kevin Miller, who wrote a review...the TV was not even finished. Everybody knew that was going to be a winner...The Panasonic EZ1000 was a TV for professionals, it winning was not a really a surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash
And FWIW, the 2018 UK shootout did not include the Sony A9F. Vincent made a separate video comparing the A9F to the Panasonic and could not say that one was better than the other.
The FZ800 is not the top of the line Panasonic, the GZ2000 is.
post #141 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It doesn't matter what his personal preference is (not sure how you would even know), when he compared both objectively he could not say either one was superior to the other.

I couldn't care less what Hollywood grading suites prefer as their reference monitor. They have their own needs and if Panasonic does what they need better than other brands, more power to them. But we are talking about what is best for consumer use. There is more to a consumer display than just color accuracy...

Again, wait until these displays are out and fully tested instead of believing the marketing specs. Vincent's early look at the GZ2000 already reveals it might not get close to the assumed 1000 nits...
The color accuracy part has relevance as a consumer tv too, panasonic is the 'only' oled where i feel one could get away without performing a calibration, its professional (pro 1) preset is by far the most accurate preset of all current consumer tv's (lowest dE's), you dont even have to touch the CMS because it is so finely tuned. For people who find it hard to get a calibrator or to whom DIY calibration equipment is expensive, going with the pana. has this benefit.

Another advantage that pana. has is more natural looking skin tones compared to the other brands, even post calibration compared to other oleds. Vincent also says this in his reviews.

I am a bit more inclined to sony, but on things like the ones i mentioned above, i cannot deny as a consumer that pana. has an advantage on sony (and lg).

And the gz200 might not get to 1000 nits in peak brightness, but what im hearing on this other forum i post is that its APL (scene brightness) will be higher than other 2019 oleds (including pana.'s lower models) due to the custom panel.

Last edited by Menarini; 05-14-2019 at 01:54 PM.
post #142 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
The FZ800 is not the top of the line Panasonic, the GZ2000 is.
I was referring to the UK 2018 shootout which the A9F was not even part of...

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #143 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What's wrong is prejudging and letting that influence you in comparisons and what's wrong is generalizing at to what is 'best'. As I said before, best in what? I've yet to see any manufacturer, using LG OLED panels, to be 'best' in every category. For some one category is more important than another.
You know how it is. The experts do not like LCD...And the public, which is over 90% of those who buy TVs, does not care about any picture quality parameter..they buy LCD en masse.
post #144 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was referring to the UK 2018 shootout which the A9F was not even part of...
Right. You said 2018, in which the FZ800 won. The FZ800 is not a top of the line Panasonic OLED...the A9F is a top of the line Sony OLED.
post #145 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
vincent doesnt call the results in the shootouts he organizes. he gets a group of people to evaluate and rate the tv's after calibrating them to D65 and running the same content on them. his personal preference doesnt influence the results, because all the people who evaluate and rate the tv's, their ratings are tallied to arrive at the winner. it's just like what happens in the u.s. shootout. so far in the '17 and '18 shooutouts in uk ('17 was the first year panasonic oleds were available), the pana. has won the overall best tv and the home theater category. the a9g and the lg c9/e9 need to be doing something special if they are to beat the custom panel gz2000 this year, imo.
post #146 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
The color accuracy part has relevance as a consumer tv too, panasonic is the 'only' oled where i feel one could get away without performing a calibration, its professional (pro 1) preset is by far the most accurate preset of all current consumer tv's (lowest dE's), you dont even have to touch the CMS because it is so finely tuned. For people who find it hard to get a calibrator or to whom DIY calibration equipment is expensive, going with the pana. has this benefit.

And it might not get to 1000 nits in peak brightness, but what im hearing on this other forum i post is that its APL (scene brightness) will be higher than other 2019 oleds owing to the custom panel and also panasonic's own lower 2019 models which dont have the custom panel.
For average consumers all of these displays have accurate enough presets. I'm not downplaying Panasonic color, it's clearly a strength of theirs, but it is just one facet of a TV.

Image processing also matters for consumer displays, and Sony has remained king in that department since OLEDs became mainstream. Production studios may not necessarily care about any of this, but their use case is very narrow.

And who are these "other" forum people? Do they have a GZ2000? Have they calibrated it and made detailed measurements?

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #147 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Right. You said 2018, in which the FZ800 won. The FZ800 is not a top of the line Panasonic OLED...the A9F is a top of the line Sony OLED.
It won a competition that the A9F did not participate in...
FZ800 has the same exact picture performance as the "top of the line" FZ900. Seriously, is this the point you're getting hung up on?

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #148 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:

And it might not get to 1000 nits in peak brightness, but what im hearing on this other forum i post is that its APL (scene brightness) will be higher than other 2019 oleds owing to the custom panel and also panasonic's own lower 2019 models which dont have the custom panel.
Looking at some of the pre-calibration charts I've seen from both Sony & LG, I'd disagree with that. It also depends on what is meant by 'getting away with'. Do you really think that some of the presets of the Sony & LG are so inaccurate OOB? I don't. In fact I suspect most won't see much of a difference pre & post calibration.
Micolash likes this.

post #149 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Like i said this, vincent also said after lookinng at the gz2000 at ces that this could be the tv of the year, so there's more to it than what the guy on instagram asked. Seeing that pana. previous years' models have won the side by side shootouts hosted in uk, i dont see any reason why their best oled tv to date which has a custom panel would not win (that is assuming the gz2000 makes it to the shootout). I demoed the fz950 last year, the gz2000 from the videos appears noticeably better.

That's okay if you have little interest in panasonic, seeing that you bought the lg. the only thing you need to care in the u.s. how the c9 will fare against the a9g in the shootout.
Could be, might be, ya de da. Only objective tests with accurately calibrated panels are what counts. Making absolute assessments by looking at one display, sitting by itself at CES, is a fools errand. I suspect that Vincent would agree to that too. If not, remind me to not watch any more of his reviews.

I'm also not sure what you mean by 'custom panels'. The last I heard was the LG makes all the OLED panels for other manufacturer's end products. Is Panasonic making its own OLED panels? I must have missed that. I used to hear that about Sony OLEDs too until that was proven wrong.

post #150 of 177 Old 05-14-2019, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Looking at some of the pre-calibration charts I've seen from both Sony & LG, I'd disagree with that. It also depends on what is meant by 'getting away with'. Do you really think that some of the presets of the Sony & LG are so inaccurate OOB? I don't. In fact I suspect most won't see much of a difference pre & post calibration.
You may believe that sony's and lg's presets are 'good enough' and that's okay, many people dont calibrate sony and lg's either, however if you want the best fine tuning OOTB, then there is no denying that panasonic doees this better than all other brands (not just sony or lg, add in all the others). There was a review done in a publication here in asia (taiwan) that rated panasonic fz950's pro1 (professional 1) preset's accuracy on the level of the sony bvm x300 oled monitor.

Again that's not to say that sony or lg look horrible OOTB, they still look good, but to a videophile that wants the best accuracy OOTB, pana. is better.

And like i have said it, i have more of an inclination towards sony, but i will be realistic and i will not write off panasonic's advantages in areas i know it excels over other brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page