AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   Comparison thread LG vs sony vs panasonic oleds 2019 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3058816-comparison-thread-lg-vs-sony-vs-panasonic-oleds-2019-a.html)

Menarini 03-26-2019 10:48 PM

Comparison thread LG vs sony vs panasonic oleds 2019

What are people planning to buy in 2019? This thread is to discuss and compare the relative merits and demerits of the 2019 oleds offered by LG, sony and panasonic.

LG C9/E9's biggest advantage this year surely is the presence of full bandwith 48gbps hdmi 2.1 chipset. And like previous years a stronger dolby vision presentation with chip based processing.

Sony A9G's advantage is the x1 ultimate processing- better dynamic tonepapping on hdr10, higher color volume on dci-p3 and rec. 2020 that gives better saturation on individual colors on screen, better gradient handling and upscaling on low bitrate/low resolution sources, and slightly better motion.

Panasonic's GZ models like before would have the advantage of the best color accuracy OOTB with the lowest dE's of all tv's out there (their Professional 1 preset), their slightly better looking skin tones (after post calibration when comparing to other calibrated oleds). And they have dolby vision this year too (though i would expect lg's implementation to still be better).

What are your thoughts on this year's models as to the relative merits/demerits and which oled are you looking at?

IMWhizzle 03-27-2019 12:06 AM

LG C9 77 inch for sure!

Menarini 03-27-2019 12:08 AM

C9 77 should be the most economical option in that screen size, a9g will be pricier and panasonic hasn't announced any 77 so far.

Sam97 03-27-2019 12:13 AM

I have an E6 and Dolby Vision sucks on it even with the chip-based processing (basically I'm not really sold on the chip processing vs software).

The Panasonic has a nice advantage with having both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, the major drawback is the absence of a 77" size.

Sony has better motion and upscaling from what I understand. Stutter is very noticeable with SDR/720p and lower content on the LG OLEDs.
Sony's drawback this year is no HDMI 2.1 and a sluggish operating system based on previous years (hopefully this year their system is as smooth as LG's).

LG has HDMI 2.1 and the best operating system.

Menarini 03-27-2019 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam97 (Post 57810194)
I have an E6 and Dolby Vision sucks on it even with the chip-based processing (basically I'm not really sold on the chip processing vs software).

The Panasonic has a nice advantage with having both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, the major drawback is the absence of a 77" size.

Sony has better motion and upscaling from what I understand. Stutter is very noticeable with SDR/720p and lower content on the LG OLEDs.
Sony's drawback this year is no HDMI 2.1 and a sluggish operating system based on previous years (hopefully this year their system is as smooth as LG's).

LG has HDMI 2.1 and the best operating system.

Sony has made a lot of progress with the latest android version and mediatek chip, so the OS certainly doesn't feel sluggish now.

LG's chip based DV in the 2018 models certainly made it better than sony, imo.

Stutter is an issue on all oleds because of the very fast response time, it's just how the processing deals with it, sony does do better in this regard. Stutter is an issue that has plagued panasonic oleds, even some complaints on last year's models.

Panasonic is only doing 55/65 for now, but late this year they might be announcing a 77 version if someone could wait that long.

2.1 is certainly a drawback that sony and panasonic will both have compared to lg, from the interviews i have seen with sony and panasonic guys, they seem to hold the belief that 2.1 is not needed on a 4k tv.

BillP 03-27-2019 05:24 AM

65" C9. Panasonic is not available in the US, and Sony is (IMO) too heavily premium priced. The LG is definitely the best value, and based on initial reviews, has significantly reduced the gap with Sony in terms of upscaling and motion handling. But it's probably too early to compare the 2019 models, until many can actually get their hands on them to review them.

Ruppgu 03-27-2019 05:46 AM

Your comments on Sony and Panasonic are based on the 2018 panels. Honestly, you can't make those comments yet because they are not known. The only thing known is the actual facts like LG having 2.1 support and pricing info. We'll know in a few weeks how they all perform compared to one another.

New_to_4K 03-27-2019 06:26 AM

Recently got myself the A9F.

For my second tv - is a competition between 65 E9 / 77 C9 and Panasonic GZ2000. Throwing in Samsung Q90 in the list too.

New_to_4K 03-27-2019 06:28 AM

Panasonic this year has very close pricing to LGs (except GZ2000).

Postmoderndesign 03-27-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam97 (Post 57810194)

I disagree.

I am pleased with Dolby Vision on my E6 played with an OPPO UDP-203. I have noticed in other threads that there are a lot differing opinions on Dolby Vision with a variety of equipment.

guitarguy316 03-27-2019 07:24 AM

Honestly I’m not sure we need to do Panasonic in here...isn’t avs forum for USA really? And AVForums would be better for Panasonic convo?

Menarini 03-27-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_to_4K (Post 57810928)
Panasonic this year has very close pricing to LGs (except GZ2000).

True if you compare a c9 to a gz950, but i really think those pana. models wont have better pq, and c9 still has hdmi 2.1. if i wanted something that would have better pq over a c9, i wont look at any other pana. model other than the gz2000.

Menarini 03-27-2019 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillP (Post 57810690)
65" C9. Panasonic is not available in the US, and Sony is (IMO) too heavily premium priced. The LG is definitely the best value, and based on initial reviews, has significantly reduced the gap with Sony in terms of upscaling and motion handling. But it's probably too early to compare the 2019 models, until many can actually get their hands on them to review them.

Best value argument surely goes to lg , just like previous years. however probably not the best 2019 oled. lg has 'clsed the gap'..dont we get to hear that every year? the c8 was also said to have closed the gap. well if the c9 can equal the color volume of a a9f or have color accuracy on the level of a panasonic, we'll see.

avernar 03-27-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy316 (Post 57811220)
Honestly I’m not sure we need to do Panasonic in here...isn’t avs forum for USA really? And AVForums would be better for Panasonic convo?

That's it! No more maple syrup for you! :p

But Panasonic and Sony are not in the running for me because of the lack of HDMI 2.1 48Gbps ports.

Menarini 03-27-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

when i registered here, i did not see any terms that claimed avs is for usa, by avforums you mean the uk forum, well i dont have a registered account there. im in asia, and panasonic is one of the 3 options available to me. if you dont have access to them, you can ignore the panasonic part and treat the thread as comparison between lg and sony.

guitarguy316 03-27-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 57811454)
when i registered here, i did not see any terms that claimed avs is for usa, by avforums you mean the uk forum, well i dont have a registered account there. im in asia, and panasonic is one of the 3 options available to me. if you dont have access to them, you can ignore the panasonic part and treat the thread as comparison between lg and sony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avernar (Post 57811446)
That's it! No more maple syrup for you! :p

But Panasonic and Sony are not in the running for me because of the lack of HDMI 2.1 48Gbps ports.

no worries, i think most of the owner conversations and posts here are usually USA based people...just didn't want to confuse anyone that Panasonic is available to USA. We get either LG or Sony.

thomopolis 03-27-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy316 (Post 57811518)
no worries, i think most of the owner conversations and posts here are usually USA based people...just didn't want to confuse anyone that Panasonic is available to USA. We get either LG or Sony.

Honestly, even though I'm in California, if it looks like the GZ has the best PQ by a decent margin, I might take the family on a vacation to Vancouver to pick one up.

Even aside from my own case, having all three companies compared in one place is more interesting, along as everyone keeps the discussions civil this could turn into a very important and engaging thread.

sa 03-27-2019 08:48 AM

When people say Sony have the best motion handling, is that with frame interpolation (Motionflow) turned on. Or does Sony have better motion handling than LG and Panasonic when they all run with frame interpolation off?

lsorensen 03-27-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Well Canadians are here too, and the host of the forum is based in Canada too. The about page says "AVSForum is owned by VerticalScope Inc., located in Toronto, Canada: 111 Peter St, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V2H1." after all. And Panasonic does sell TVs in Canada. :)

markrubin 03-27-2019 08:55 AM

it is OK to discuss the Panasonic OLED here: we can hope that one day it will be available in the USA :)

thomopolis 03-27-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markrubin (Post 57811784)
it is OK to discuss the Panasonic OLED here: we can hope that one day it will be available in the USA :)

Maybe if the US contingent of all the home theater forums organized a giant group buy Panasonic would make an exception?:D

Menarini 03-27-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa (Post 57811752)
When people say Sony have the best motion handling, is that with frame interpolation (Motionflow) turned on. Or does Sony have better motion handling than LG and Panasonic when they all run with frame interpolation off?

IME, with motion interpolation engaged is when sony pulls a little ahead of lg (and panasonic), with all motion processing turned off not so much. Their interpolation of all other manufacturers works better. However, apart from interpolation, lg this year is implementing a 120hz BFI mode (50% @ 120hz) to enhance motion (panasonic is also supposed to support 120hz BFI, though might not be on all models). We still dont know if Sony's 2019 oleds will support 120hz bfi.

Sam97 03-27-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign (Post 57811112)
I disagree.

I am pleased with Dolby Vision on my E6 played with an OPPO UDP-203. I have noticed in other threads that there are a lot differing opinions on Dolby Vision with a variety of equipment.

I too have the OPPO 203, I am yet to feed it a Dolby Vision disc (so curious to see). However, I was mainly referring to Netflix Dolby Vision which to me is Rubbish on the E6 so much static noise.

D-Nice 03-27-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markrubin (Post 57811784)

If you really want one, you can import one from Canada :)

markrubin 03-27-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Nice (Post 57812642)
If you really want one, you can import one from Canada :)

not a bad idea, but I have a C9 (65 inch) coming in next week :)

Matsonia 03-27-2019 11:49 AM

Biggest downside with Panasonic for me is the lack of a 77 inch model with the new range. That puts it out of my list. If I do go OLED this year is will most likely be the 77 C9. As a gamer and with the new consoles coming within the next 1-2 years I feel like I don't want to miss out on HDMI 2.1.

fafrd 03-27-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 57812060)
IME, with motion interpolation engaged is when sony pulls a little ahead of lg (and panasonic), with all motion processing turned off not so much. Their interpolation of all other manufacturers works better. However, apart from interpolation, lg this year is implementing a 120hz BFI mode (50% @ 120hz) to enhance motion (panasonic is also supposed to support 120hz BFI, though might not be on all models). We still dont know if Sony's 2019 oleds will support 120hz bfi.

Yes, the LG WOLEDs can deliver 3.5ms MPRT (50% BFI @ 120Hz source or 75% BFI @ 60Hz source) and also deliver an automatic 25% boost to peak brightness when BFI is engaged (so 25% BFI @ 60Hz suffers from no loss of brightness, while 50% BFI @ 120Hz only suffers a drop of 25%).

We don't yet know whether the 2019 Sony and Panasonic can also deliver 3.5ms MPRT and whether they have also built-in mitigation of the loss of brightness resulting from BFI.

For both gaming and cinema, 120Hz VRR on the 2019 LGs is a clear plus.

If you've got an HTPC and want to screw around with beta testing, Blurbusters has a double-shutter projector simulator that requires support for [email protected] Hz but should deliver bluray content with less motion blur than any other non-SOE-inducing solution...

Matsonia 03-27-2019 12:34 PM

Will it still have the flicker of previous versions of BFI as for me that's something I notice very easily with every recent TV iv tried with BFI. It gets turned off straight away. While its also good to have VRR the frequency range it has is still disappointing as it pretty much has no use for consoles.

jmpage2 03-27-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 57810220)
Sony has made a lot of progress with the latest android version and mediatek chip, so the OS certainly doesn't feel sluggish now.

LG's chip based DV in the 2018 models certainly made it better than sony, imo.

Stutter is an issue on all oleds because of the very fast response time, it's just how the processing deals with it, sony does do better in this regard. Stutter is an issue that has plagued panasonic oleds, even some complaints on last year's models.

Panasonic is only doing 55/65 for now, but late this year they might be announcing a 77 version if someone could wait that long.

2.1 is certainly a drawback that sony and panasonic will both have compared to lg, from the interviews i have seen with sony and panasonic guys, they seem to hold the belief that 2.1 is not needed on a 4k tv.

It is highly debatable that HDMI 2.1 is 'needed' on any 4K TV.

However HDMI 2.1 absolutely has features that 4K TVs will be taking advantage of in just the next year or two. EARC and VRR are the biggest ones.

From the perspective of someone who upgrades their TV every 1-2 years then HDMI 2.1 is a snooze-fest.

If someone keeps their TVs for 5-10 years then HDMI 2.1 is potentially worth choosing one TV over another similar, or maybe even better one.

D-Nice 03-27-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markrubin (Post 57812818)
not a bad idea, but I have a C9 (65 inch) coming in next week :)

Welcome to the C9 club :)