LG 65" C9 OLED Hands-On & Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 130Likes

post #1 of 180 Old 04-07-2019, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8745 Post(s)
Liked: 15264
LG 65" C9 OLED Hands-On & Review

Update... Click here for the hands-on review of the 65" LG C9 OLED

-------

Preview

Just a couple days ago, I received a 65” 2019 LG C9 to review. I have set the TV up in my basement media room. So far I’ve only had the chance to check out sports and gaming, plus a few select movie scenes on this TV.

First things first: This OLED 100% delivered on the promise of the technology; contrast is incredible and the benefits of the "perfect" blacks are immediately obvious and visually seductive. But beyond that, 2019 is about AI algorithms and how they improve picture quality and, at least to my eyes, the benefits of better upscaling and motion processing were apparent while watching a Sixers game. The YouTube TV feed (running off the internal app) looked organic and 3D, like a good OTA broadcast.

I have not calibrated it yet and do not plan to do so until next weekend, when the panel has had some time to break in. Having said that, the Technicolor Bright mode looks great without any adjustment.

It's going to take a week before I get back into reviewing this TV, I haved a trip to take first. But, I know there's a thirst for "peak HDR luminance" readings as well as impressions on uniformity, especially with a 5% gray full-screen pattern.

-----

Ready to unpack

Step 1, take the cover off

LG's instructions show how to use the box to attach the stand

TV face-down on the box, ready for to attach the pedestal base

Putting together the pedestal

Finished, up and running!

Looking forward to checking this out on the C9.

See you all next week...
RIppolito, spyboy, DaveC56 and 5 others like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-03-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 180 Old 04-07-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Can’t wait to read your findings! Also I would to know if this LG is better than the Sony A9F, in terms of HDR “pop”, motion, upscaling, etc.
RadTech51 likes this.

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #3 of 180 Old 04-07-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Interested in finally seeing some full reviews. We need to find out how the 2019 LG compares to the current top dog A9F.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 180 Old 04-07-2019, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Isnt the C9 competing against the a9g this year, not a9f, yet the comparison people are drawing is against last year's a9f? Either way, im also looking to some real reviews and measurements of the c9, rtings' review for one. Interested to see how c9 measures on color volume and hdr peak brightness.
post #5 of 180 Old 04-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Isnt the C9 competing against the a9g this year, not a9f, yet the comparison people are drawing is against last year's a9f? Either way, im also looking to some real reviews and measurements of the c9, rtings' review for one. Interested to see how c9 measures on color volume and hdr peak brightness.
A9G won't be out for a while and it probably won't be any different from A9F anyway.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #6 of 180 Old 04-07-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
A9G won't be out for a while and it probably won't be any different from A9F anyway.
I have been told early may in my country by the dealer, in u.s. it is launching this month in april, the 55/65 models, the 77 will be a little late.
As for differences, it will be employing the latest lgd panel but on the processing side i suspect it will be about equal, tho i hope sony can tone down their aggressive abl algorithm from the a9f which leads the whites to looking a bit subdued.
post #7 of 180 Old 04-07-2019, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
I have been told early may in my country by the dealer, in u.s. it is launching this month in april, the 55/65 models, the 77 will be a little late.
As for differences, it will be employing the latest lgd panel but on the processing side i suspect it will be about equal, tho i hope sony can tone down their aggressive abl algorithm from the a9f which leads the whites to looking a bit subdued.
A9G Review units probably won’t be available until later. The A9F is like how many months old? 7? It’s fair to be compared to A9F.
post #8 of 180 Old 04-07-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5352 Post(s)
Liked: 3763
Curious if the Spears and Munsil UHD disc will be up for sale any time soon.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #9 of 180 Old 04-09-2019, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
But beyond that, 2019 is about AI algorithms and how they improve picture quality and, at least to my eyes, the benefits of better upscaling and motion processing were apparent while watching a Sixers game.
The bigger question is how does Bryce Harper look on that TV?
imagic likes this.
post #10 of 180 Old 04-14-2019, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Any news?
post #11 of 180 Old 04-14-2019, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Quoted: 8745 Post(s)
Liked: 15264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto84 View Post
Any news?
Yes, London is amazing!

So, not yet, I have not even gone down into that room since I got back. But... I do have some 4K video I shot at the McLaren factory that I cannot wait to check out on the C9.

Back to work tomorrow.
Redmist likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 180 Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I thought I would chime in as I received mine yesterday, ran through the unboxing and setup. My initial impressions are below, and happy to answer any questions that I can.

I still own the LG C7 65 and while I didn't need to upgrade, a line developed in my C7 and with the warranty having expired, I am waiting on LG Case Management to let me know if they are going to fix it or not, not holding my breath. Luckily I am in a position to upgrade, and after having setup my mom's C8, I liked a couple of the features in the C8 so I took the plunge for the C9.

Unboxing was pretty easy, though it does require 2 people to lift out and setup etc. If you did it by yourself, congrats! 4 screws into the back for the base and 2 more for the front facing stand piece, stand it up, peel off the covers and you are golden. I did forget that you have to lay the TV down flat on its screen to screw in the base. This is still very nerve racking since you just bought it, so make sure you have something soft and large and stable enough to rest it on.

The base - wow that base is heavy. I am glad it is heavy, but it is probably the heaviest thing in the box. I think the base is the same as the C8, but it seems more of a black finish than I remember and see in the C8 pics. The entire back is black where my C7 is bright white. Overall just looking at it, from the front, it definitely feels darker and more pleasing with a less distraction feel.

The cord holder on the back is a pop-up piece of plastic where the cords run underneath and down the back. It isn't terrible, but running 4 input cables and the power cable through it isn't the easiest thing to accomplish. The C7 had a simple plastic prong on the back that worked pretty well overall for me. While this new holder isn't bad, there is probably a better way to do cable management in the future.

Setup was really simple, enter in some location info and time, agree to let LG and their partners steal all your information, set-top box setup/recognition and I was viewing content. You can watch videos of that process on youtube if need be.

Initial impressions on the setup. Comparing it to the C7:
1. The sound setup was super simple. Having had trouble with the C7 ARC pushing sound into my pioneer receiver, the ARC on the C9 found it right away and stayed consistent. I did notice you can change the sound input from BitStream to PCM which made my Xfinity 4K cable box do some odd things like only outputting stereo in the options menu, versus in BitStream giving me the Dolby options.
2. The Motion Smoother is the same overall, but there is a On/Off button now for "OLED Motion". This may have been in the C8, but I don't recall. It darkens the screen and sort of puts it into a different state of viewing. I don't dislike it, but having the screen darker can be off putting. In the manual it says it will control the brightness to assist in a smoother picture.

Otherwise it feels exactly the same in terms of picture quality, with a few more options in terms of customization. I am not a purist in terms of picture, so I run my colors really high, the contrast and OLED Panel high, and I like the picture smoother, so perhaps a hyper realistic picture to most.

My only issue so far is getting the Alexa integration. I ran the setup, but can't get Alexa to find a new device. I will try again, but so far no luck. Also, I have a Harmony controller that controls the tv and entertainment system overall and there is no option for the LG C9. I assume it will come with an update soon, but the C8 is the only one listed in the Harmony app so far. I didn't try the C8 option, but it may work as well.

For the Magic Remote, it is working good overall, but it doesn't control my Xfinity 4k box very well. Since the 4k box is rather new, I didn't expect it too, but you definitely can't have the remote control the box perfectly. For instance, the LG guide feature is nice with some cool options and is quicker to use than Xfinity, but when you select a channel to watch, it doesn't change the channel on the Xfinity box. Again, perhaps a future update with correct this.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the updates from your side, and I hope I can be of help until the official reviews go live. Cheers!!
post #13 of 180 Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
'Motion Smoother is the same'. You mean how the tv handles trumotion? I was hoping it got improved this year. Since on the c8 it gives me quite a bit of artifacts even on the lower settings.
AlanPot likes this.
post #14 of 180 Old 04-15-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsmit View Post
'Motion Smoother is the same'. You mean how the tv handles trumotion? I was hoping it got improved this year. Since on the c8 it gives me quite a bit of artifacts even on the lower settings.
He’s talking about BFI or trumotion. The C8 had both but motion on the C9 is smoother WITHOUT any trumotion on. I noticed it immediately and other PROs have chimed in on it already in the owners thread.
anwsmh likes this.
post #15 of 180 Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM

I still don't see the c9 listed at my location (KL), it will probably go to june when lg will launch, that is what happened with the c8. Sony will probably release the a9g here sooner as sony has the a9g listed on their site since many days. Reading every prof./user review you can find on the internet is a reference point, but not a substitute for seeing the tv yourself and comparing it to others, only you know what kind of improvement level you are expecting. I recently sold my c8, some users over in the c9 thread have been quite upbeat over the c9, i want to check out c9 in person to gauge how much better it is.
post #16 of 180 Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsasu View Post
2. The Motion Smoother is the same overall, but there is a On/Off button now for "OLED Motion". This may have been in the C8, but I don't recall. It darkens the screen and sort of puts it into a different state of viewing. I don't dislike it, but having the screen darker can be off putting. In the manual it says it will control the brightness to assist in a smoother picture.
Oled Motion is the Black Frame Insertion setting on lg tv's, currently there is only an on/off slider, at ces it was shown there'll be 3 settings under it (targetting different BFI modes) but those settings havent made it to c9 at launch time and will be done by firmware later on. It seems the current BFI implementation is the same as it is on the C8 so you will see noticeable darkening and flicker.
Motion smoother on the c9 is trumotion, lg's name for MCFI , and has two sub options - deblur and dejudder. This according to some user opinions works a little better than c8 but still not exactly as good as sony. And DB and DJ both set to 0 is smoother than the same setting on the c8 according to the same users.
post #17 of 180 Old 04-15-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Oled Motion is the Black Frame Insertion setting on lg tv's, currently there is only an on/off slider, at ces it was shown there'll be 3 settings under it (targetting different BFI modes) but those settings havent made it to c9 at launch time and will be done by firmware later on. It seems the current BFI implementation is the same as it is on the C8 so you will see noticeable darkening and flicker.

Motion smoother on the c9 is trumotion, lg's name for MCFI , and has two sub options - deblur and dejudder. This according to some user opinions works a little better than c8 but still not exactly as good as sony. And DB and DJ both set to 0 is smoother than the same setting on the c8 according to the same users.

“Those settings haven’t made it to c9 at launch time and will be done by firmware later on.”

Just curious, where did get that information from? I’ve been in constant contact with LG trying to sort that out but keep getting mixed messages from costumer service. Would be awesome to finally get a confirmation about the Advanced BFI options coming in a future FW update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anwsmh likes this.
post #18 of 180 Old 04-15-2019, 12:28 PM

^That's just what i've seen discussed on the few forums i visit and what a korean tech publication posted at the time of the c9 launch in korea. I dont have a direct confirmation from a lg source. LG seems to have to run into technical issues to include the feature on the launch c9's and they need more time to sort it out before they can deliver it via an update. Probably it would have been wise for lg to not demonstrate it as a big feature at ces 2019 when their technical team was still not sure if it would make it with the stock firmware on launch c9's.
anwsmh likes this.
post #19 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
Can’t wait to read your findings! Also I would to know if this LG is better than the Sony A9F, in terms of HDR “pop”, motion, upscaling, etc.
I would as well especially in the upscaling and motion handling department. However most importantly I would really like to know if the 77’’ C9 and 77’’ A9G will be using the new 2019 OLED panels or if they will be using something older? This is very important to me because of the vertical banding issue on my 77’’ A1E which I think uses a LG 2017 or perhaps a 2016 OLED panel not sure which? Anyway if they keep using these older OLED panels on the 77’’ size range then I’m in trouble.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #20 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2016 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
I would as well especially in the upscaling and motion handling department. However most importantly I would really like to know if the 77’’ C9 and 77’’ A9G will be using the new 2019 OLED panels or if they will be using something older? This is very important to me because of the vertical banding issue on my 77’’ A1E which I think uses a LG 2017 or perhaps a 2016 OLED panel not sure which? Anyway if they keep using these older OLED panels on the 77’’ size range then I’m in trouble. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
If you follow the C9 owner thread and talk to VE, you’ll find that the C9 and AF9 are pretty darn close that there isn’t really a gap in upscaling for example. Motion depends on if you like to turn on smoothing settings but the C9 is improved over the C8 without any motion turned on, it was pretty obvious to me out of the box.
post #21 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
If you follow the C9 owner thread and talk to VE, you’ll find that the C9 and AF9 are pretty darn close that there isn’t really a gap in upscaling for example. Motion depends on if you like to turn on smoothing settings but the C9 is improved over the C8 without any motion turned on, it was pretty obvious to me out of the box.
That’s very good news and I’ll be viewing and testing the C9 myself when it’s available to view in my area.
However the 77” size is the one I’m interested in and I want to make sure it doesn’t suffer from the A1E vertical banding issue I have. Also I know it’s way to early to tell but I’d really like to find out what advantages the A9G Master Series will have over the C9 if any at this point? The gap between the two displays is closing now like you say with the upscaling and motion about the same. Additionally from what I can tell the A9G will be almost identical to the A9F, only the physical appearance is changing.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #22 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Is it worth replacing a 2017 65" A1E with this set?

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #23 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 436
I think you've answered this yourself already. If there was a must-have feature in the C9 you just had to have, like HDMI 2.1, you wouldn't be asking.

As such, you're looking at a little bit brighter panel with about the same scaling quality as your TV.
post #24 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not just motion and scaling, C9 still doesnt seem to have a pixel contrast booster equivalent feature that the sony A9 oleds have. pixel contrast booster was definitely a big deal on the a9f i demoed last year. And the dynamic tone mapping on the a9f also worked better than c8, i doubt lg has changed how the dynamic tone mapping algorithm works from the c8 to the c9. And the gradient handling aka smooth gradation still works better with compressed sources on sony's processor compared to lg.
With motion and scaling, i dont doubt that lg has improved over the c8 and that the c9 would be closer to the a9f on scaling than a c8. But how well does it again perform on low resolution/compressed sources (like 480i youtube videos) side by side to a A9 is the question. VE will be hosting a tv shootout this year where there'll be a A9G next to C9, we'll know what score do the tv's earn on upscaling and how comparable they are with it. If the C9 gets ranked exactly the same to the A9G, then you would be right with your claims, but let's wait and see. We get to hear this 'lg is just as good as sony' claim every year.
That’s very good to know thank you. I totally forgot about the new dynamic tone mapping technology since my A1E doesn’t have that. Also you say the smooth gradation still works better with compressed sources and that definitely sounds like worthy reasons to get the A9G over the C9 especially if you factor in the better motion handling. However the big question remains, will the 77” C9 and A9G use 2019 OLED panels? Have to wait and see but I may not be able to wait for the 77’’ A9F review, I may only have the 77” C9 review to go on. If it’s revealed that the 77” C9 uses 2019 or 2018 panels can we assume the A9G will also?

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
post #25 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
That’s very good to know thank you. I totally forgot about the new dynamic tone mapping technology since my A1E doesn’t have that. Also you say the smooth gradation still works better with compressed sources and that definitely sounds like worthy reasons to get the A9G over the C9 especially if you factor in the better motion handling. However the big question remains, will the 77” C9 and A9G use 2019 OLED panels? Have to wait and see but I may not be able to wait for the 77’’ A9F review, I may only have the 77” C9 review to go on. If it’s revealed that the 77” C9 uses 2019 or 2018 panels can we assume the A9G will also?
I deleted that post of mine you quoted as i realized it had the possibilty to spark into a long back and forth bickering on lg vs sony, this thread is about imagic giving his hands on C9 impressions, so let's keep it to that, im not getting into any more comparison discussions in this thread.
post #26 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Im loving my 65" C9! I chose the C9 over the A9F due to HDMI 2.1 and better gaming features. Mark if you have the Xbox One X, I highly suggest you play some Division 2 or Gears 4 (w/ VRR support) on the C9, looks stunning. Also test Altered Carbon on Netflix when you get back for some eye searing Dolby Vision.
post #27 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4719
Quote:
I deleted that post of mine you quoted as i realized it had the possibilty to spark into a long back and forth bickering on lg vs sony, this thread is about imagic giving his hands on C9 impressions, so let's keep it to that, im not getting into any more comparison discussions in this thread.
It's pretty silly that Mark started this thread weeks before he's going to complete the actual review. I'd suggest the moderators scrap the entire thread and let imagic relaunch it once he has an actual review to post - who is going to wade through pages of drivvle to find the actual contents of the review (and the Q&A likely to follow)?
post #28 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Your right...and btw since your relatively new...we year in and year out hear how much better the Sony is...it gets old, lets not forget that the LG is no slouch each has its pros and cons. You created a thread to compare, why not bring your so called expertise there.

Last edited by Cam1977; 04-16-2019 at 02:23 PM.
post #29 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
It's pretty silly that Mark started this thread weeks before he's going to complete the actual review. I'd suggest the moderators scrap the entire thread and let imagic relaunch it once he has an actual review to post - who is going to wade through pages of drivvle to find the actual contents of the review (and the Q&A likely to follow)?
Agreed, but who new this would turn into another veiled vs thread
Ken Ross and helvetica bold like this.
post #30 of 180 Old 04-16-2019, 02:15 PM

If you read the OP, he stated that he was going on a trip, so he's been late with the c9 impressions. he could have chose to start this thread upon his return.
lsorensen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page