How is OLED tvs compared to normal projectors ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Bahn Yuki
  • 1 Post By 5x10

post #1 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Question How is OLED tvs compared to normal projectors ?

Is it a huge difference?

Still trying to decide if I should get a pretty big tv or a projector. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-14-2019, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Very good question!
post #3 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I suppose that depends on how big a screen you're going for. The principle, if not only, advantage that a projector has over an OLED is the ability to throw a VERY large picture. If you are a movie buff there is also the added benefit that a projected image has a certain quality to it that no direct view display will ever have. You will have to contend with light control, lack of brightness for HDR and poorer contrast ratios on a projector as compared to an OLED. There is definitely something to be said for throwing a 120"+ picture up for movies and/or TV and other sources. You can also go with an acoustically transparent screen and put all of your main speakers, or even just the center channel, behind the screen. I lived with projectors as displays for a long time, the size of the image is addictive. But if you can sit close enough to a smaller screen you can get most of the impact of the image size. It's not the same, but the screen won't feel "small" while you're watching it.

Of course, you could always get an OLED and a roll down screen to go in front of it to use with a projector for when you want to go really big. That's the best of both worlds.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I wonder if it's the same thing watching a 65" OLED from 10 feet vs 130" projector image from 20 feet away? The image size should be perceived as the same size, but is the projector image still more immersive somehow?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The knowledge that the image is that big makes it seem more impressive, but I wouldn't say it's more immersive. The viewing angle is the thing that really matter for immersion. Unfortunately, if you have a big room, want to be able to seat more than a few people, or have a big sound system that needs room to breathe, a really close seating distance might not work. In those cases you need a projector. Most of the time I owned projectors a large flat panel was 50" and cost $6000. Once they reached 65" and larger at reasonable prices that allowed me to sit at reasonable (9' give or take) distances I switched. A 77" OLED at 10 feet will provide a much better viewing experience, IMO natch, than a projector and screen at a seating distance that has the same viewing angle. Unless what you want to do really requires front projection (viewing angle/seating distance, acoustically transparent screen, look of projected images, cost vs. size), you're probably better off with an OLED, especially with HDR available. Projectors will never really be able to do it well. Better than SDR on a projector yes. But it will never approach what you can get on a good OLED, or even a good LCD.

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde
post #6 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Thank you only 3 people max will be watching
post #7 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
I own both a 65" C7 and a JVC RS400 projecting to a 150" screen. The oled has better image quality and is much more versatile. Still the sheer size the 150" is great for parties.

If you have a lot of room and people coming over the projector could be great. I don't use mine often and part of me wants to sell everything and just got for a 77" OLED.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
ng4ever and Sean Max like this.

JVC RS400, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 180" Painted wall
LG 65C7, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
Samsung 55Q8FN, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
post #8 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Projector > oled due to the size of the image , IMO

Im an oled fan
ng4ever likes this.

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #9 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeQuack View Post
I wonder if it's the same thing watching a 65" OLED from 10 feet vs 130" projector image from 20 feet away? The image size should be perceived as the same size, but is the projector image still more immersive somehow?
The projector is further away, so your eyes are focused at a somewhat longer distance. There's also less image shift from head movements, etc. In other words, you aren't fooling your senses completely with an increased viewing angle. Once you're well into a movie, it doesn't matter as much, but a big image definitely establishes immersion quicker.

That's for solo viewing. With multiple people, your viewing angle will very likely be larger for the projector.

Keep in mind that quality projection for a 130" image costs more than a 65" OLED and is more comparable to a what a 77" OLED costs today. Also, with the C8 you jump straight to the top of direct view displays, while the same investment into a projector just opens the can - various screens, room treatment, better projectors...

Either path has its own rewards, but the projection path can be a lot longer and more varied.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-16-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Current OLED TVs do not have 3D. Many projectors do. OLEDs do HDR quite well, projectors generally do not. OLEDs do true 4K while most projectors seem to have to fake 4k by pixel shifting or other tricks. OLED currently stops at 77" (at a pretty high cost, and 88" later this year at a super high cost) while projectors easily go past 100" screens. Projectors need bulb changes every certain number of hours, which the OLED does not.

So yeah it really depends what is most important to you. Unless you just do both as some people do.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page