OLED for bright room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
OLED for bright room

Hi there- I need to upgrade from my 8 yr old Sony XBR 55 inch. TV is in a corner next to a wall of windows. The room is used for watching tv and sports in the afternoons and evenings usually with a lot of ambient lighting (large living room contiguous with the kitchen). I just put an LGB8 in a small den that we use for nighttime movie watching in the dark and that's worked well. I'd like to stick with an LG just to keep the remotes/interfaces consistent but can branch out if necessary. Main question is what 55 inch 4k smart TV options should i consider for bright viewing conditions. Would like to keep price under 1500 and close to 1000. Thanks.

Last edited by zeak; 04-16-2019 at 07:38 AM.
zeak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
skip61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeak View Post
Hi there- I need to upgrade from my 8 yr old Sony XBR 55 inch. TV is in a corner next to a wall of windows. The room is used for watching tv and sports in the afternoons and evenings usually with a lot of ambient lighting (large living room contiguous with the kitchen). I just put an LGB8 in a small den that we use for nighttime movie watching in the dark and that's worked well. I'd like to stick with an LG just to keep the remotes/interfaces consistent but can branch out if necessary. Main question is what 55 inch 4k smart TV options should i consider for bright viewing conditions. Would like to keep price under 1500 and close to 1000. Thanks.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57908486

No problem for viewing in the daytime for Oled.
mttpalmer and Gillietalls like this.

LG Oled 65B7P
Anthem MRX 510 receiver , Furman elite
Paradigm Millenia 300 fronts
Paradigm Millenia 30 Center,Mordaunt-Short ADP
PSA XS15se sub, Oppo udp 203, PS4, Bell PVR Fibe tv, ATV 4K
skip61 is offline  
post #3 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 09:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Mine is in a room with a 12 foot doorwall and it's great even when the sun is shinning. I was prepared to close the drapes if I had to but never found the need to do it.
mttpalmer and Gillietalls like this.
11thunder07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
thanks for the quick replies! those pics look amazing. Are the two of you using the B8 or C8?
zeak is offline  
post #5 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 09:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Seilerbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Orlando Florida
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I have an OLED55C6P and I have no problem viewing it when the room is well lit.
Gillietalls likes this.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
Seilerbird is offline  
post #6 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Reflex-Arc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Mountlake Terrace, WA
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 205
OLED will get plenty bright for use in a well lit room but, depending on viewing habits, I'd question whether or not they would be the best for that in a long term usage scenario. I'd advise reviewing some of the burn in testing, documentation, and user experience posts, many of which point to cumulative use and higher OLED light (brightness in this sense) being contributing factors.

OLED displays are wonderful. I love mine. It produces the best image quality of any display I've ever owned. I accept that the tech, like any other tech, has its flaws, and it isn't always the best option for all usage scenarios. LED displays still have a place, and that place is often a brightly lit multipurpose room.

I'm not saying don't buy an OLED. I'm just advising that you do your homework. I mean, it's a little bit like buying a Ferrari as a daily driver after all.
TravisPNW, Oplasmic and Markalark like this.
Reflex-Arc is online now  
post #7 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,182
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1592
My pics are of the C8. For SDR, which I assume will be the majority of your watching, I use Technicolor and my OLED light is at 55 or 60 and brightness is at 53 or 54. I'm a preference over reference guy. For movies, I use the Dolby Vision Cinema Home preset when applicable and the default Technicolor presets for HDR10. All are plenty bright enough.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
Gillietalls is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 734
OLED is the best option for dark room. Without question. That's how I roll.


For bright room? Sure it would work but definitely would have to do something about glare... be it house lights or sunlight. I find it extremely annoying. I personally don't care for bright screens but if I did... I might consider something else.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JonW747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeak View Post
Hi there- I need to upgrade from my 8 yr old Sony XBR 55 inch. TV is in a corner next to a wall of windows. The room is used for watching tv and sports in the afternoons and evenings usually with a lot of ambient lighting (large living room contiguous with the kitchen). I just put an LGB8 in a small den that we use for nighttime movie watching in the dark and that's worked well. I'd like to stick with an LG just to keep the remotes/interfaces consistent but can branch out if necessary. Main question is what 55 inch 4k smart TV options should i consider for bright viewing conditions. Would like to keep price under 1500 and close to 1000. Thanks.

If your B8 isn't screwed down, you could always carry it over to the other room and check it out. It should hold up pretty well against an 8yr old LCD. There are newer/brighter LCDs, though.


Personally, I just flip between the ISF night and day settings as needed on my E6.
JonW747 is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Any specific newer LCD you'd rec? Thanks.
zeak is offline  
post #11 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 391
I wouldn't recommend an oled to put in a room corner with a 'wall of windows'. Oled is not the best fit for all use caes and environments. With sunlight falling in, you also have to consider if sunlight ever hits the panel, some users have reported their oled panels developing some tinting after continous exposure to sunlight. You seem to already own a lg B8 in another part of your house, for this room i would suggest forget oled and research into the new samsung Q70R 55" (based on the budget you stated, upto 1500 usd). The 2019 samsung qled lcd's are fairly decent, no oled, but in a bright room produce more than acceptable blacks.
Menarini is offline  
post #12 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Putting an OLED in that environment would be like taking a Ferrari offroad. Better to buy a Jeep Wrangler for that task.
JD23 is offline  
post #13 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 6,996
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 994
IF you are Costco member and IF your room can accommodate to 65" TV, then you might want to consider the Vizio PQ65F that's now on sale (until 4/25). It's a rather bright display with very good performance (wide color gamut and HDR support plus full array backlight with local dimming), but certainly a more limited max. usable viewing angle as compared to OLED and the very best LCD/LED UHDTVs.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #14 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 04:13 PM
Member
 
Oplasmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 76
8 years out of your Sony and finally upgrading. Sounds like the Sony did you well. Why not stick with them?


55" X950G would fit your price point and viewing environment well. (Also good motion for sports)
Oplasmic is offline  
post #15 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 391
^X950G doesn't seem a lot better than X900F and it's a step back from the X940E (also X930E), unlike the higher model number on the X950 would suggest. Sony's lcd's started a downslide after the X930E, they have begun concentrating on oled for premium tv's, it's still a wait and watch how good their new z9g 8k lcd turns out. But against a X950G, i would recommend a 2019 samsung qled -Q70R based on the budget, side by side, the samsung would show a little punchier colors and deeper blacks while the X950G would look more subdued.
Menarini is offline  
post #16 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Knuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
No question an OLED can be enjoyed in a bright room unless it would be mounted in a location where it would be subjected to direct sunlight or other light source. I came from a Kuro plasma and was surprised how poor the anti-glare of my C8 was in comparison. I had to move a lamp that reflected off the C8 that was never an issue with the Panny. Sunlight would be worse.

You can get a really nice picture if you avoid direct reflections but keep in mind, you won't get all the benefits of the incredible contrast ratio OLED has to offer. It may not be worth it to you to pay a premium for OLED if you can't take full advantage of it.
Knuck is offline  
post #17 of 33 Old 04-16-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
^X950G doesn't seem a lot better than X900F and it's a step back from the X940E (also X930E), unlike the higher model number on the X950 would suggest. Sony's lcd's started a downslide after the X930E, they have begun concentrating on oled for premium tv's, it's still a wait and watch how good their new z9g 8k lcd turns out. But against a X950G, i would recommend a 2019 samsung qled -Q70R based on the budget, side by side, the samsung would show a little punchier colors and deeper blacks while the X950G would look more subdued.

It may not be bad idea to consider the X900F instead of the X950G if the OP wants to limit his budget. The Q70R is at the very top of his budget, whereas the X900F is closer to the bottom.
JD23 is offline  
post #18 of 33 Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
hat about the sony x850? My installer is suggesting that for it's price point. Am I giving up a lot compared to the 900? Thanks.
zeak is offline  
post #19 of 33 Old 04-17-2019, 10:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just bought C8 65, had same concerns, it replaced a Q8FN, and no regrets in watching in normal lit room day or night. The OLED is amazing, but my TV does not sit in a area where direct sunlight is on the actual panel like others have posted.
mliu is offline  
post #20 of 33 Old 04-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Member
 
Oplasmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeak View Post
hat about the sony x850? My installer is suggesting that for it's price point. Am I giving up a lot compared to the 900? Thanks.

I suggested the X950G due to the X1 Ultimate processor which many seem to think will be more future proof than the X1 Extreme in the 900F. (X1 only in the X850G)



You seem to keep your TVs for a while so I was taking that into consideration.
Oplasmic is offline  
post #21 of 33 Old 04-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
AnalogHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeak View Post
hat about the sony x850? My installer is suggesting that for it's price point. Am I giving up a lot compared to the 900? Thanks.
It's an IPS. No please. Even for a bright room, you want at least a VA panel.

The contrast ratio difference is about 4-fold, which you can see with no effort.
AnalogHD is offline  
post #22 of 33 Old 04-17-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,351
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by mliu View Post

I just bought C8 65, had same concerns, it replaced a Q8FN, and no regrets in watching in normal lit room day or night. The OLED is amazing, but my TV does not sit in a area where direct sunlight is on the actual panel like others have posted.
Agreed, Oled's do fine in a normal lit room during the day. The only time I would suggest an lcd panel is if direct sunlight is on the panel. Although it can be controlled with curtains or blinds. If the OP has a B8 already in his media room, it would make sense to get an lcd for his everyday viewing and leave the best content for the Oled.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #23 of 33 Old 04-17-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,204
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3509 Post(s)
Liked: 2536
+1. I have an LCD for the downstairs HTS and it is our primary viewing source for local HDTV stations only, day to day streaming via an ATV4 and blu-ray movies. The C8 is in the upstairs HTS and we use that for streaming via the ATV4k (movies we really want to see in HDR), UHD/BD movies via the UBK90, and occasional Comcast cable tv (local HDTV stations only). The light is easy to control upstairs and at night we use a bias light. Definitely an LCD for normal viewing and an OLED for special viewing.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #24 of 33 Old 04-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Member
 
SubZombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I didn't read all the replies but the fact is that any current OLED is brighter than any LED that was on the market a few years ago and most of us had TVs in bright rooms before 2015. If you have an 8 year old Sony then an OLED is likely going to be 3 to 6 times as bright as that TV depending on SDR or HDR and also have better reflection handling.

Dig up some 2014 TV reviews where 300 nits is 'extremely bright' and 'perfect for a bright room' and 350 is 'the brightest ever tested'. The brightness increase when HDR rolled out wasn't to help bright room performance it was to display better content. People have gotten a bit silly the last couple years with recommendations around what is ok to go in a room with windows imo. I have one OLED in a room with a skylight, windows, and a giant sliding glass door and its great day or night.

Not to mention in my experience brightly lit rooms are typically common areas where a wide viewing angle is needed and an LED is going to lose any technical advantage in brightness if you aren't directly in front of it.

If you have sunlight shining directly onto the screen (which I don't think you mentioned) I wouldn't permanently leave any tv that isn't a Sunbrite or other similar type model in that location.

This said with your budget wanting to stay around $1k I would look for a Q7 before they are gone. It's brighter than the 900f has better reflection handling and it's on clearance most places.
chunon, 11thunder07 and Micolash like this.

65" Sony A1E
Sony STR-DN1080
JBL Studio L880 Towers
JBL Studio LC2 Center
JBL Studio L810 Surrounds
Velodyne DPS-10 Sub

Last edited by SubZombie; 04-17-2019 at 08:55 PM.
SubZombie is offline  
post #25 of 33 Old 04-18-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gillietalls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,182
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZombie View Post
I didn't read all the replies but the fact is that any current OLED is brighter than any LED that was on the market a few years ago and most of us had TVs in bright rooms before 2015. If you have an 8 year old Sony then an OLED is likely going to be 3 to 6 times as bright as that TV depending on SDR or HDR and also have better reflection handling.

Dig up some 2014 TV reviews where 300 nits is 'extremely bright' and 'perfect for a bright room' and 350 is 'the brightest ever tested'. The brightness increase when HDR rolled out wasn't to help bright room performance it was to display better content. People have gotten a bit silly the last couple years with recommendations around what is ok to go in a room with windows imo. I have one OLED in a room with a skylight, windows, and a giant sliding glass door and its great day or night.

Not to mention in my experience brightly lit rooms are typically common areas where a wide viewing angle is needed and an LED is going to lose any technical advantage in brightness if you aren't directly in front of it.

If you have sunlight shining directly onto the screen (which I don't think you mentioned) I wouldn't permanently leave any tv that isn't a Sunbrite or other similar type model in that location.

This said with your budget wanting to stay around $1k I would look for a Q7 before they are gone. It's brighter than the 900f has better reflection handling and it's on clearance most places.

Amen! This LCD only for bright room talk is nonsense. I admit. I was skeptical replacing my 940E with the C8 until I got it set up and running. Now I'm mad at myself for even contemplating another LCD for my loft... And you're exactly right. No regular LCD or OLED is good for a room that's going to have direct sunlight hitting it.
chunon likes this.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
Gillietalls is offline  
post #26 of 33 Old 04-18-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
You could get a close-out 55" C8 or E8 for less than $1500, so they are technically within your budget and have the best PQ in the below $1500 range. However, you should take into account the amount of light in your room and whether the type of content you will be viewing, such as cable news or sports channels with static logos, will be well suited to an OLED. As others have mentioned, you can do much better than the X850G, and should be considering an X900F, X950G, or Q7 instead.
JD23 is offline  
post #27 of 33 Old 04-18-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,939
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Don't think anyone has ever said an Oled is not bright enough for bright rooms, just not as bright as other LED tv's. Issue is running them at high olight levels on all sources most of the time increases wear rates. Not important for folks who replace their tv's often (think 8K desires coming on soon). But for those who want great performance after many years out of a tv, 5 years-ish 10,000 plus hours...might not the best choice for bright rooms. Add the benefit of perfect blacks is lost for the most part in bright rooms anyways.

For some people multiple tv's might not be realistic. They might decide to risk it down the road with an Oled. But the OP...is looking for a secondary tv primarily for bright room use, so...

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #28 of 33 Old 04-19-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 1,006
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Don't think anyone has ever said an Oled is not bright enough for bright rooms, just not as bright as other LED tv's. Issue is running them at high olight levels on all sources most of the time increases wear rates. Not important for folks who replace their tv's often (think 8K desires coming on soon). But for those who want great performance after many years out of a tv, 5 years-ish 10,000 plus hours...might not the best choice for bright rooms. Add the benefit of perfect blacks is lost for the most part in bright rooms anyways.

For some people multiple tv's might not be realistic. They might decide to risk it down the road with an Oled. But the OP...is looking for a secondary tv primarily for bright room use, so...
That's a fair point, so while oled might be 'bright enough' to put in a bright room, your eyes are certainly not perceiving the advantage of oled's 0 nit black (which is the catch to choosing oled over lcd in the first place) in such a bright room, In a daytime room with a 'wall of windows', i really cannot see the oled contrast that your eyes perceive being any better at all than a good lcd.
JD23 likes this.
Menarini is offline  
post #29 of 33 Old 04-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Knuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
That's a fair point, so while oled might be 'bright enough' to put in a bright room, your eyes are certainly not perceiving the advantage of oled's 0 nit black (which is the catch to choosing oled over lcd in the first place) in such a bright room, In a daytime room with a 'wall of windows', i really cannot see the oled contrast that your eyes perceive being any better at all than a good lcd.
+1. The issue isn't whether its watchable in a bright room but whether the premium in price is worth it.
Knuck is offline  
post #30 of 33 Old 04-19-2019, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZombie View Post
I didn't read all the replies but the fact is that any current OLED is brighter than any LED that was on the market a few years ago and most of us had TVs in bright rooms before 2015. If you have an 8 year old Sony then an OLED is likely going to be 3 to 6 times as bright as that TV depending on SDR or HDR and also have better reflection handling.

Dig up some 2014 TV reviews where 300 nits is 'extremely bright' and 'perfect for a bright room' and 350 is 'the brightest ever tested'. The brightness increase when HDR rolled out wasn't to help bright room performance it was to display better content. People have gotten a bit silly the last couple years with recommendations around what is ok to go in a room with windows imo. I have one OLED in a room with a skylight, windows, and a giant sliding glass door and its great day or night.

Not to mention in my experience brightly lit rooms are typically common areas where a wide viewing angle is needed and an LED is going to lose any technical advantage in brightness if you aren't directly in front of it.

If you have sunlight shining directly onto the screen (which I don't think you mentioned) I wouldn't permanently leave any tv that isn't a Sunbrite or other similar type model in that location.

This said with your budget wanting to stay around $1k I would look for a Q7 before they are gone. It's brighter than the 900f has better reflection handling and it's on clearance most places.
Great post and great points. I've also brought up the bolded before. Apparently "the bright room" did not exist until a few years ago. It is a new invention, lol. Or maybe the sun just got brighter, who knows. Bottom line, anybody seriously claiming that 800 nits is "too dim" for a bright room is spreading FUD and feeding into the bogus narrative that LCD tech is somehow on equal footing with OLED because they can produce higher nits.

And FWIW I've also noticed that LCDs often don't look as bright or punchy as their brightness numbers suggest. Even in stores they have a washed out, glazed over look compared to OLEDs next to them, which have punchy, saturated colors. You can only get that look from emissive displays. These are things the numbers don't tell you.
Gillietalls likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6

Last edited by Micolash; 04-19-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Micolash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off