Panasonic OLED vs Panasonic Plamsa - Getting Similar Results. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 04-30-2019, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Panasonic OLED vs Panasonic Plamsa - Getting Similar Results.

Hi guys, hate to post a Plasma vs OLED thread (I've done searching and reading for a couple weeks before signing up)

I am an enthusiast of purity and accuracy in my image and sound and am not keen on overly bright overly saturated images.

I own two Plasma's a 50" GT50 and 42" V20. Fed by Blu ray, Netflix PS4 Pro and Sky Movies HD centred around a Denon X4400 AV.

I skipped LCD completely waited years for a comparable tech to give me as good as image quality as my GT50 at a cost comparable. Thus I've eagerly watched OLED tech mature and come down in price the last few years.

After much reviewing and researching including considering buying a used ZT60, Saturday I bite the bullet, went to store to view and ended up purchasing a new Panasonic 802B OLED.

I am struggling to adjust to it however and am looking for tips and advice. There's no doubt on much content the OLED is more detailed and has greater 'impact' and Dynamism.

I however finding myself riding the the picture mode settings all the time just to achieve consistency across different Films. Some movies look phenomenal and very balanced in overall image quality whilst others seem worse.

EG
Ready Player one - Looks incredible, even back to back the GT50
Terminator 2 a film I know extremely well and only re-watched the other day on my GT50 looks probably 2x worse on my OLED. Pixellated, overly bright, less refined. Same source.

The Plasma seemed to have an laid back effortlessness to its picture and I'd only have to switch between day / night accordingly.
OLED no doubt outshines it sometimes but other times I'm left thinking .. "this doesn't feel like an upgrade"

Any tips from other who did a similar migration? Or have experience with the FZ800B/802B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-30-2019, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 376
If you're watching 1080p movies, plasmas can still look to have an edge sometimes. For oled to pull ahead of plasma, you need to watch hdr content. I have seen a pansonic fz950 dont own it, if in 1080p sdr content you're finding some brightness issues the basic settings may require adjustment. If you watch in a dim to dark room, switch to professional 1 preset, make some changes to the luminance, brightness levels using basic test patterns, leave the cms alone, the pro 1 on these panasonic is the most color accurate ootb mode on all consumer tv's out there currently. In some 1080p movies, still plasma may look to have an edge on some ocassions even if you have settings dialed in correctly, for the real wow factor over plasma you must watch 4k hdr10 movies on the oled. Also, with motion plasma would have an edge, especially with fast moving content or camera pans, impulse based display would have the smoothness advantage, oled is a S&H display and interpolation or bfi could only do so much.
Tex_Thai and WOLVERNOLE like this.
post #3 of 38 Old 04-30-2019, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hi NeoPDP,
Good post and I am highly interested in your results.
I too skipped LCD, and am moving from a crapping out plasma, my second, just ordered but have not got the LG OLED 65 C8.
And looking at the plasma I have, other than the big green swath of vertical crap running down one side now, and a red stripe, other than that it still has a great pic, the blacks are really good.
BUT I think Menarini above gave you some very good answers. I just got a Pioneer LX500 and hope the 4K there will mate well with the LG OLED and I will see even better PQ than I have enjoyed with blu rays on my plasma for years.
The source is certainly one key factor.
Another might be, from what I have read, time. You need to get 100-200 hours on your new OLED and let the panel stabilize and settle in. So I have heard.
Try that and 4K input and let us know how it looks?
All the best,
God Bless,
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 04-30-2019, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys

Thank for the responses,

I went straight to Pro 1/2 and cinema presets when I got it out of the box, since then have played around with the settings and done a few picture settings reset back to baseline to avoid painting myself into a corner and still occasionally it disappoints.

That's half the trouble, I find myself having to tweak constantly to get a good pic, but when I get a good picture it REALLY is a good picture and I'm like "great, that's perfect, don't need to mess with that now". Then watch a different film (normally one I know well) and I'm like, wtf, that's not looking right again now.

Perhaps I need to recalibrate( ) my own expectations instead!
Tex_Thai likes this.
post #5 of 38 Old 04-30-2019, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 292
The reason is how the colors and light are produced..

Plasma: True RGB with "natural" phosphors.. and true self emitting RGB colors..

LG Oled Panel: 4 White Sub Pixels and on top of that a color filter.. There are many tricks going on with this approach..

This is why a Plasma TV will always have this certain natural and realistic look..

With certain content (heavy CGI) where the movie does not intend to have a natural look it will not show up and Oleds will trump with brightness and black level..

This is what you describe with: "it always changes with content.." Ready Player one is almost a graphic demo and look great.. But what about sports, and movies with a realistic look..

A challenging movie and one movie that I use as a reference: 2004 Blu ray of Van Helsing.. Not because it is a true reference but because of its visual content.. Dark but lots of shadow detail, nice natural skin tones.. Watch it on your oled and then on your plasma..
Tex_Thai, RWetmore and WOLVERNOLE like this.

Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
Panasonic TX-50GXW804 LCD
post #6 of 38 Old 04-30-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
These Panasonics OLEDs are worth being pro-calibrated. Should have a very natural look in the end. Panasonic OLED has the best color among OLEDs.

Get a accurate picture first...then make your observations...
post #7 of 38 Old 04-30-2019, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
The reason is how the colors and light are produced..

Plasma: True RGB with "natural" phosphors.. and true self emitting RGB colors..

LG Oled Panel: 4 White Sub Pixels and on top of that a color filter.. There are many tricks going on with this approach..

This is why a Plasma TV will always have this certain natural and realistic look..

With certain content (heavy CGI) where the movie does not intend to have a natural look it will not show up and Oleds will trump with brightness and black level..

This is what you describe with: "it always changes with content.." Ready Player one is almost a graphic demo and look great.. But what about sports, and movies with a realistic look..

A challenging movie and one movie that I use as a reference: 2004 Blu ray of Van Helsing.. Not because it is a true reference but because of its visual content.. Dark but lots of shadow detail, nice natural skin tones.. Watch it on your oled and then on your plasma..
Hi Bruce.

You're bang on with that assessment I think. It's the effortless realistic look that seems to be amiss. Having said that, I put on interstellar earlier, going through the worm hole scene and have to say it looked incredibly good on the contrast / blacks. Simply stunning.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #8 of 38 Old 04-30-2019, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
These Panasonics OLEDs are worth being pro-calibrated. Should have a very natural look in the end. Panasonic OLED has the best color among OLEDs.

Get a accurate picture first...then make your observations...
hi 8Mile

You're right and that was the main selling point for me - the Panasonic consistently being trumped online and by in-store sales person as having the most natural picture and did certainly look that way in store against the light cannon alternatives by LG, etc.

Reminded me of when I picked up my Plasma originally from new, had such an accurate, dynamic, deep rich picture against all the full burn LCD's in store at the time.
post #9 of 38 Old 04-30-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Also clean source is important for observations..like blu-ray and UHD blu-ray.

For non advanced amateur and pro-calibration there is stuff like Flatpaneslhd settings in Europe.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1528954870
post #10 of 38 Old 05-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPDP View Post
Hi guys, hate to post a Plasma vs OLED thread (I've done searching and reading for a couple weeks before signing up)

I am an enthusiast of purity and accuracy in my image and sound and am not keen on overly bright overly saturated images.

I own two Plasma's a 50" GT50 and 42" V20. Fed by Blu ray, Netflix PS4 Pro and Sky Movies HD centred around a Denon X4400 AV.

I skipped LCD completely waited years for a comparable tech to give me as good as image quality as my GT50 at a cost comparable. Thus I've eagerly watched OLED tech mature and come down in price the last few years.

After much reviewing and researching including considering buying a used ZT60, Saturday I bite the bullet, went to store to view and ended up purchasing a new Panasonic 802B OLED.

I am struggling to adjust to it however and am looking for tips and advice. There's no doubt on much content the OLED is more detailed and has greater 'impact' and Dynamism.

I however finding myself riding the the picture mode settings all the time just to achieve consistency across different Films. Some movies look phenomenal and very balanced in overall image quality whilst others seem worse.

EG
Ready Player one - Looks incredible, even back to back the GT50
Terminator 2 a film I know extremely well and only re-watched the other day on my GT50 looks probably 2x worse on my OLED. Pixellated, overly bright, less refined. Same source.

The Plasma seemed to have an laid back effortlessness to its picture and I'd only have to switch between day / night accordingly.
OLED no doubt outshines it sometimes but other times I'm left thinking .. "this doesn't feel like an upgrade"

Any tips from other who did a similar migration? Or have experience with the FZ800B/802B
I have a panasonic plasma in my theater room that has an intermittent blue haze bubble right in the center of the screen that appears typically only during brightly lit/white scenes/images. Despite this nuisance I still haven't replaced the TV yet because I just love the picture that is displayed 99% of the time and I'm afraid I'll be nitpicking on whatever small things OLED doesn't do well. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money to trade one aggravation for another. Perhaps one year it will be worth it. It probably is now but I'm naturally indecisive.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Def Tech BP7001SC mains; Def Tech CLR3000 Center; Def Tech BPX Side Surrounds; Def Tech SR9040 Back Surrounds; SVS SB-2000 sub; Def Tech PM1000 Atmos Heights; Denon AVR-X4300H Receiver; Sony STR-DA2ES utilized as external amplifier for atmos heights; Panasonic TC-P65S2 Plasma; Sony UBP-X800 Bluray Player; Nvidia Shield TV; Roku Premiere+
post #11 of 38 Old 05-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 73
When it comes to a great picture under a wide variety of sources, a good plasma is a tough act to follow.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #12 of 38 Old 05-02-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi guys

Have to say the set seems to have 'bedded in' and am finding I am feeling a lot more pleased with the picture overall now on variety of sources. It's really starting to shine. Not sure if 'break in' is a thing for OLED but somethings definitely settled in with the picture.

In summary, could I say it's worthy of a £1500 upgrade in PQ alone? No, hand on heart I couldn't say it is. I'm amazed at actually how close in image quality Plasma is.

However am I pleased I've been able to modernise my main room TV, get a larger screen, get a HDR and 4k feature set and obtain a reasonable upgrade in PQ ? Yes absolutely.
post #13 of 38 Old 05-02-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
Yes, as an emissive tech, there is also a breaking in period for OLED. The first 20 hours are typically the most sketchy. I would recommend switching off the lights and watching your favorite horror or sci-fi film to see just how much better OLED can be.
post #14 of 38 Old 05-02-2019, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Yes, as an emissive tech, there is also a breaking in period for OLED. The first 20 hours are typically the most sketchy. I would recommend switching off the lights and watching your favorite horror or sci-fi film to see just how much better OLED can be.
Yep, black levels, and black detail are simply amazing.
post #15 of 38 Old 05-02-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Lightbulb Well. okay...BUT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPDP View Post
Yep, black levels, and black detail are simply amazing.
Okay, I believe you...and yet...we now read (Rtings, others) that even in 2019, that the new LG C9 is experiencing "black crush." This "stokes" my nervousness and reluctance to pay $3800. for a new LG OLED...77" or otherwise. "Buyer's Remorse" is a terrible thing !
post #16 of 38 Old 05-02-2019, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
Okay, I believe you...and yet...we now read (Rtings, others) that even in 2019, that the new LG C9 is experiencing "black crush." This "stokes" my nervousness and reluctance to pay $3800. for a new LG OLED...77" or otherwise. "Buyer's Remorse" is a terrible thing !
Interstellar and Alien are my films of choice for dark scenes. I am getting no black crush I can speak of. But then I run at reasonable settings to give a balanced picture much akin to Plasma. I imagine cranking some settings to more extremes will result in black crush
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #17 of 38 Old 05-02-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked: 1446
I've owned also the Panasonic GT50 and still own the ST60. Now I own, the Panasonic FZ950 Oled and there are a lot of similarities but those similarities are enhanced by the Oled in my opinion. For lower SD resolutions nothing beats plasma but when you get into higher quality content 1080i/1080p with proper settings the Oled displays a better picture when comparing the 2. With 4K HDR is no contest. The Panny Oleds do an outstanding job with displaying a very accurate picture.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #18 of 38 Old 05-02-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
I still own a GT50 and I still haven't found a display with as natural a picture, particularly motion during 24 Hz content, as on a high-end plasma. I have a Sony x930e, which is a very good LCD, and am now looking at OLEDs, but am disappointed that my seven-year-old TV will still be competitive, and even superior, in some aspects. The one thing I won't miss on that TV is its proclivity for persistent IR.
post #19 of 38 Old 05-05-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I still own a GT50 and I still haven't found a display with as natural a picture, particularly motion during 24 Hz content, as on a high-end plasma.
There remarks are what constantly kills my willingness to upgrade. I use my TV to watch easily 90% 24fps material...
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #20 of 38 Old 05-05-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
There remarks are what constantly kills my willingness to upgrade. I use my TV to watch easily 90% 24fps material...
Not sure how Panasonic does it, but Sony OLEDs playback 24fps content at 48hz using BFI. I believe most Panasonic plasmas played movies at 48hz so it should look pretty similar (including the flicker which is pretty distracting sometimes).

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #21 of 38 Old 05-05-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
Not sure how Panasonic does it, but Sony OLEDs playback 24fps content at 48hz using BFI. I believe most Panasonic plasmas played movies at 48hz so it should look pretty similar (including the flicker which is pretty distracting sometimes).
Kuro does it at 72Hz (not BFI, not being sample & hold it's not needed).

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #22 of 38 Old 05-05-2019, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
Kuro does it at 72Hz (not BFI, not being sample & hold it's not needed).
Yeah, I'm not sure why Sony didn't choose 72Hz or 96Hz, or at least have the option. Both would result in less flicker (but I guess at the cost of reduced brightness).

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #23 of 38 Old 05-05-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Because that would require 144/192 Hz internal refresh rate and the panel can only do 120 Hz. So they had to chose between 60 Hz BFI, which results in pulldown judder (LG) or 48 Hz BFI, which has more flicker but no judder (Sony).
post #24 of 38 Old 05-10-2019, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
I have calibrated quite a few plasma tvs, and they all need calibration.. White balance is always of..

Calibration wise these new Oleds and also Qleds are much more accurate then any plasma out there..

But once calibrated (basic 2 point white balance in the service menu, adjustment options are very limited with these old sets) you will be blown away what an old plasma PDP can reproduce.. And they are dirt cheap to get on the second hand market..

Pictures are showing 720p and 1080i cabel tv budget model S1 from 2009..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2564832   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	2564834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0412.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2564836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2564838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0410.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2564840  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0420.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2564842  
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
Panasonic TX-50GXW804 LCD

Last edited by Bruce2019; 05-10-2019 at 07:30 AM.
post #25 of 38 Old 05-10-2019, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Damn those old plasmas looked really, really good. its not just nostalgia either, I own an LG OLED but not long a go visited a high end hi-fi store that had a 65" VT60 on display. Its picture quality was mind blowing. hight contrast, punchy, extremely natural... Even when compared to brand-spanking new OLEDs and QLEDs..
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #26 of 38 Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I agree. I still have my Kuro and want an OLED for 4k and I think more brightness. If they had a lot more 4k on broadcast or cable tv, then would already have upgraded, but just not there yet. Amazing after all these years that the Kuro still is up there in picture quality, at least for 1080p and broadcast/cable tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Damn those old plasmas looked really, really good. its not just nostalgia either, I own an LG OLED but not long a go visited a high end hi-fi store that had a 65" VT60 on display. Its picture quality was mind blowing. hight contrast, punchy, extremely natural... Even when compared to brand-spanking new OLEDs and QLEDs..
WOLVERNOLE, gorman42 and hifi59 like this.
post #27 of 38 Old 05-10-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post

It's because of plasma's native RGB pixel structure.
SnellTHX likes this.
post #28 of 38 Old 05-11-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregF2 View Post
I agree. I still have my Kuro and want an OLED for 4k and I think more brightness. If they had a lot more 4k on broadcast or cable tv, then would already have upgraded, but just not there yet. Amazing after all these years that the Kuro still is up there in picture quality, at least for 1080p and broadcast/cable tv.
Yeah indeed. I came from a black level modified Kuro 9G to OLED. The overall difference in PQ is actually ridiculously small considered there's 10 years of technological advancement behind them!
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #29 of 38 Old 05-11-2019, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I find it depends on the source, that my OLED e8 crushes blacks... like game of thrones season 8, episode dark (3) was rough.
post #30 of 38 Old 05-11-2019, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
Panasonic plasma 24p playback was optimal at 60Hz. I'm not sure exactly how the processing worked, but 24p cadence was properly displayed at 60Hz when using the correct 24p mode. Late gen Panasonic plasma televisions had a 72Hz option, but the 60Hz 24p mode was still optimal on those displays.

The Panasonic OLEDs may work similarly. They don't accept 120Hz inputs and have some stuttering problems on certain 24p HDR content. Maybe it's the same 60Hz 24p algorithm being tripped up somehow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page