Are you waiting for 2020 to buy a new OLED? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 146Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 388 Old 07-01-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
@jmpage2 - thanks...I'll check it out!

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 388 Old 07-01-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Hoping to hear something positive about the outlook for 2020, but so far, not much of that IMO. The 2019 TV landscape has been a near miss for me.

Heard rumblings of IJP OLEDs coming in 2020, but will have to wait and see on that. Dual LCD and Mini LED look promising, but 65" is the biggest screen size (why...), so no go there. The 2019 LGs were looking great, but then they borked the new BFI, and it doesn't look like it's coming at all to 2019 TVs, even via FW. Also wary of getting one anyway with top emission and IJP potentially on the horizon. The Z9G could have been the one, but geez that thing is heavy and why the skimpy 2.1 features and inputs on an 8K TV? Q90R looks pretty good, but no concrete deets on if it will be upgradeable to 2.1, so no. If A9G had HDMI 2.1, I'd be hard pressed to hold out.

From a PQ perspective, the 2019 TVs are awesome, so no offense to anyone that pulled the trigger, and not knocking the sets themselves. It's just a very weird time to be in the market for a TV to me. None of them have as much future proofing as I'd like (although LG 9's come closest). For OLED, there's new manufacturing on the horizon that could make them better, brighter, and cheaper. For the LCDs... I've never owned one and am not an LCD guy, but my burned-in OLED has at least brought me to their table. They do have some compromises that make them hard to consider for me. Weight being one of them. Hard to go back to 150-200lbs TVs in this day and age, when my 65" OLED weighs ~30-40lbs.

I've no doubt that most people are in absolute bliss over the available offerings, and I can get why, but it's pretty dark days from where I sit, unfortunately.

Stuntman_Mike is online now  
post #123 of 388 Old 07-01-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Hoping to hear something positive about the outlook for 2020, but so far, not much of that IMO. The 2019 TV landscape has been a near miss for me.



Heard rumblings of IJP OLEDs coming in 2020, but will have to wait and see on that. Dual LCD and Mini LED look promising, but 65" is the biggest screen size (why...), so no go there. The 2019 LGs were looking great, but then they borked the new BFI, and it doesn't look like it's coming at all to 2019 TVs, even via FW. Also wary of getting one anyway with top emission potentially on the horizon. The Z9G could have been the one, but geez that thing is heavy and why the skimpy 2.1 features and inputs on an 8K TV? Q90R looks pretty good, but no concrete deets on if it will be upgradeable to 2.1, so no. If A9G had HDMI 2.1, I'd be hard pressed to hold out.



From a PQ perspective, the 2019 TVs are awesome, so no offense to anyone that pulled the trigger, and not knocking the sets themselves. It's just a very weird time to be in the market for a TV to me. None of them have as much future proofing as I'd like (although LG 9's come closest). For OLED, there's new manufacturing on the horizon that could make them better, brighter, and cheaper. For the LCDs... I've never owned one and am not an LCD guy, but my burned-in OLED has at least brought me to their table. They do have some compromises that make them hard to consider for me. Weight being one of them. Hard to go back to 150-200lbs TVs in this day and age, when my 65" OLED weighs ~30-40lbs.



I've no doubt that most people are in absolute bliss over the available offerings, and I can get why, but it's pretty dark days from where I sit, unfortunately.


Dark days? Kind of melodramatic.

Your TV is what, 3-4 years old?

You’re right, little reason to upgrade now. Some of us are upgrading from much older TVs than that.

One thing is for sure, in 99% of cases you will get more for your money if you keep waiting.

I turned my nose up at replacement of my Panasonic plasma for years as OLEDS were prohibitively expensive in large sizes and had issues like burn in.

I couldn’t stomach LED due to garbage contrast and off axis viewing angles.

In 2019 it’s honestly hard to go wrong if you’re really in the market. LED has really closed the gap with OLED by a LOT and C9 has HDMI 2.1 which should keep it useable for quite a few years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DenonLover and anwsmh like this.
jmpage2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 388 Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I know everybody watches things in a different environment but I watch everything in the dark. I don't understand why anyone is worried about the picture getting brighter. It already seems more than bright enough to me. I would much prefer they work on making lesser quality content look good and fix the screen uniformity than work on anything else. I can't believe how bad most of the stuff I watch on my C8 looks, even some Blurays look bad.
hailhailhailandkill is offline  
post #125 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Dark days? Kind of melodramatic.

Your TV is what, 3-4 years old?

You’re right, little reason to upgrade now. Some of us are upgrading from much older TVs than that.

One thing is for sure, in 99% of cases you will get more for your money if you keep waiting.

I turned my nose up at replacement of my Panasonic plasma for years as OLEDS were prohibitively expensive in large sizes and had issues like burn in.

I couldn’t stomach LED due to garbage contrast and off axis viewing angles.

In 2019 it’s honestly hard to go wrong if you’re really in the market. LED has really closed the gap with OLED by a LOT and C9 has HDMI 2.1 which should keep it useable for quite a few years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not melodramatic for me. Again, I can totally see how others would not share my sentiment, but this is my sentiment lol.

I got my TV Black Friday 2016, so it's not even 3yrs old and already is burned-in ie ruined in my eyes, so I actually am in a hurry to get a new set. I would have been in the market anyway as I want a bigger set than 65", but a damaged TV hastens that desire further.

Thing is, I'm not going to make a hasty decision and compound things for myself. I want great PQ, which 2019 TVs offer, but I also want some future proofing. I am a hardcore gamer, so HDMI 2.1 is very important to me, even if it doesn't get used to the fullest for a couple years. I'd rather not take advantage of inputs for two years and have them sitting there, than be back on the TV mkt in 2yrs.

I also want to see what advancements OLED makes on the burn-in resistance front, because I'm not going to stop playing games and the 2016 OLEDs at least are not anywhere near up to the challenge. I also want to see what advancements LCDs make in contrast, which would probably cause me to jump ship. As much as I have always been an emissive guy, and have never owned an LCD other than as a PC monitor, and as much as I absolutely adore the picture of an OLED, it just may not be the best choice for someone that games as much as I do. If Best Buy is still covering BI with their warranties by the time I'm buying, that might make all the difference.

Great time for most people to be in the market, but for me, TV landscape is kind of a waystation right now. The worse news is, it could be that way for 2020, as well.

Stuntman_Mike is online now  
post #126 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Not melodramatic for me. Again, I can totally see how others would not share my sentiment, but this is my sentiment lol.



I got my TV Black Friday 2016, so it's not even 3yrs old and already is burned-in ie ruined in my eyes, so I actually am in a hurry to get a new set. I would have been in the market anyway as I want a bigger set than 65", but a damaged TV hastens that desire further.



Thing is, I'm not going to make a hasty decision and compound things for myself. I want great PQ, which 2019 TVs offer, but I also want some future proofing. I am a hardcore gamer, so HDMI 2.1 is very important to me, even if it doesn't get used to the fullest for a couple years. I'd rather not take advantage of inputs for two years and have them sitting there, than be back on the TV mkt in 2yrs.



I also want to see what advancements OLED makes on the burn-in resistance front, because I'm not going to stop playing games and the 2016 OLEDs at least are not anywhere near up to the challenge. I also want to see what advancements LCDs make in contrast, which would probably cause me to jump ship. As much as I have always been an emissive guy, and have never owned an LCD other than as a PC monitor, and as much as I absolutely adore the picture of an OLED, it just may not be the best choice for someone that games as much as I do. If Best Buy is still covering BI with their warranties by the time I'm buying, that might make all the difference.



Great time for most people to be in the market, but for me, TV landscape is kind of a waystation right now. The worse news is, it could be that way for 2020, as well.


I think you are overly optimistic that 2020 will be the year that they “solve” for burn in and improving peak brightness.

If I was a hard core gamer I would be scratching OLED from my list.

Out of what’s left the closest thing is Q90. It already has VRR and ALLM and a slim possibility that Samsung adds EARC by firmware update.

If you qualify for Samsung EPP you can get a pretty big discount on the TV and do the Samsung finance option where you can apply part of the purchase price towards a newer set in a couple years if that becomes necessary.

Or wait about another year, sounds like you will have a hard time doing that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anwsmh likes this.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #127 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
zpatter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I’m not sure when I’ll buy. I currently have a ~2011 Insignia LCD 55” TV, and was planning to upgrade on Black Friday this year. However, I now am pausing. I’m babysitting a friends Sony 55900e, and the picture quality is great, but 80% of my viewing is sports or cable, which, quite honestly, look largely the same as they did on my old 1080p LCD. I notice a slight improvement on motion handling, but that’s all. I’m certain it’ll look phenomenal when I watch a 4K Blu-ray, but honestly if I’m dropping $2500 on a 65” OLED, I don’t think it’ll be until more 4K content is truly available. The OLEDs have the specs I’m looking for, but the weakest link is Comcast’s terrible compression and soft/poor picture quality.

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Subwoofer: Dual Sealed SI-HT 18" with iNuke 3000dsp
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
zpatter1 is offline  
post #128 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Are you waiting for 2020 to buy a new OLED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
I’m not sure when I’ll buy. I currently have a ~2011 Insignia LCD 55” TV, and was planning to upgrade on Black Friday this year. However, I now am pausing. I’m babysitting a friends Sony 55900e, and the picture quality is great, but 80% of my viewing is sports or cable, which, quite honestly, look largely the same as they did on my old 1080p LCD. I notice a slight improvement on motion handling, but that’s all. I’m certain it’ll look phenomenal when I watch a 4K Blu-ray, but honestly if I’m dropping $2500 on a 65” OLED, I don’t think it’ll be until more 4K content is truly available. The OLEDs have the specs I’m looking for, but the weakest link is Comcast’s terrible compression and soft/poor picture quality.


Move your head out of cable if you are hungry for 4K content.

Cable companies won’t catch up in this space anytime soon. (They will catch up with IPTV services in a year or two... maybe).

Outside of 4K discs all of the sources for content are by way of streaming services not garbage cable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anwsmh likes this.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #129 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
zpatter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Move your head out of cable if you are hungry for 4K content.

Cable companies won’t catch up in this space anytime soon. (They will catch up with IPTV services in a year or two... maybe).

Outside of 4K discs all of the sources for content are by way of streaming services not garbage cable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea cable is definitely garbage. I have 150mbps Internet, so I can stream without issue. However, I haven’t found a good way to stream NFL, College Football, Baseball, Tennis, Soccer, etc in 4K. That’s why I still have cable. If there’s a better way, please let me know.
hockeynut likes this.

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Subwoofer: Dual Sealed SI-HT 18" with iNuke 3000dsp
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
zpatter1 is offline  
post #130 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,655
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
Yea cable is definitely garbage. I have 150mbps Internet, so I can stream without issue. However, I haven’t found a good way to stream NFL, College Football, Baseball, Tennis, Soccer, etc in 4K. That’s why I still have cable. If there’s a better way, please let me know.


Don’t care about sports so can’t help you there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmpage2 is offline  
post #131 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I think you are overly optimistic that 2020 will be the year that they “solve” for burn in and improving peak brightness.

If I was a hard core gamer I would be scratching OLED from my list.

Out of what’s left the closest thing is Q90. It already has VRR and ALLM and a slim possibility that Samsung adds EARC by firmware update.

If you qualify for Samsung EPP you can get a pretty big discount on the TV and do the Samsung finance option where you can apply part of the purchase price towards a newer set in a couple years if that becomes necessary.

Or wait about another year, sounds like you will have a hard time doing that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not being optimistic at all. I'm just waiting to see what 2020 brings. If anything, I'm guessing I'll feel the same about 2020 as I do about 2019. I just want more info before making a decision.

Q90R has some HDMI 2.1 features, but not HDMI 2.1. Not in a rush to get a set with pseudo HDMI 2.1, although I do appreciate that it has some of the features I feel are more important from HDMI 2.1. The PQ isn't enticing enough to jump on IMO. I can wait to see what's on offer in a year from Sony on the LCD front, or Sony LG on the OLED front.

Stuntman_Mike is online now  
post #132 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
BreakPoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 370
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
Yea cable is definitely garbage. I have 150mbps Internet, so I can stream without issue. However, I haven’t found a good way to stream NFL, College Football, Baseball, Tennis, Soccer, etc in 4K. That’s why I still have cable. If there’s a better way, please let me know.
The streaming Fox Sports app is doing woman’s World Cup soccer in 4K. It is free if you have an existing cable subscription like Xfinity, otherwise there is a cost. It has several other sports in 4K shown on Fox. There are also many sports in 4K on the Fubo app. I can’t tell what channels are 4K on Fubo without signing up (there is a free trial), it has all your local sports NFL, NBA, Pac12, etc. in HD. Unfortunately Fubo requires a monthly fee like $40 or $50. Fubo also has local and entertainment channels so you could ditch your cable. I don’t expect the NFL will ever do 4K without charging an exorbitant amount. I find the 4K better than HD but it is not a drastic difference. Now if they ever did HDR then that would be great.

Sony XBR-65A8F
Denon X1400, ATV 4K, HTPC
Roku Premiere+, Panasonic UB820, Sony x700

Last edited by BreakPoint; 07-02-2019 at 10:29 AM.
BreakPoint is offline  
post #133 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailhailhailandkill View Post
I know everybody watches things in a different environment but I watch everything in the dark. I don't understand why anyone is worried about the picture getting brighter. It already seems more than bright enough to me. I would much prefer they work on making lesser quality content look good and fix the screen uniformity than work on anything else. I can't believe how bad most of the stuff I watch on my C8 looks, even some Blurays look bad.
I roll my eyes every time someone says the oled is already bright enough. In hdr, oled struggles really bad in bright scenes that specular highlights may be as low as less than 300 nits, while on lcd it can reach 3-10 times as bright. Only when you watch hdr contents on a high nits lcd and see how bright the sun is or how impactful an explosion is, you realize how much you miss on an oled. Sure oled does not have blooming or bad viewing angle, but higher brightness is really important. That’s why everyone is crazy about microled. Innolux is working on 31.5” ips monitor with more than 1 million zones and 1000 nits peak brightness; once they are out and priced at less than $5000 I will throw away my oled
Duc Vu is offline  
post #134 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
I roll my eyes every time someone says the oled is already bright enough. In hdr, oled struggles really bad in bright scenes that specular highlights may be as low as less than 300 nits, while on lcd it can reach 3-10 times as bright. Only when you watch hdr contents on a high nits lcd and see how bright the sun is or how impactful an explosion is, you realize how much you miss on an oled. Sure oled does not have blooming or bad viewing angle, but higher brightness is really important. That’s why everyone is crazy about microled. Innolux is working on 31.5” ips monitor with more than 1 million zones and 1000 nits peak brightness; once they are out and priced at less than $5000 I will throw away my oled
You are going to throw away your WOLED to purchase a 31.5" LCD putting out 1000 nits peak for $5000

There must be a typo in there somewhere. By 2022, once their 10.5G fab is up and running, LGD will be able to produce 32 32.5" WOLED panels for ~150% the cost of producing 6 55" WOLEDs today (in 8.5G). That translates to 32.5" WOLED panels costing less than 20% of the cost of 55" WOLED panels today and 32.5" WOLED TVs that probably 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of todays 55" WOLED TVs.

By then, 55" WOLEDs will be selling for under $1000 and they will have achieved 30% higher peak brightness (attached), meaning over 1200 nits.

So even if your typo was meaning $500 instead of $5000, by 2022 you'll be able to get a 32.5" WOLED putting out over 1000 nits for $250-$333.

Now, if your typo was to mean 10,000 nits where you typed 1000 nits, that's another story of course...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2586932  
anwsmh likes this.
fafrd is offline  
post #135 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 16,938
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked: 12082
the Oled TV market may be on the verge of a GIANT boost from Samsung. Samsung may convert an LCD factory into and oled factory as early as this August. might see QD-Oled by end of next year?


http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/...ml?idxno=33156
DenonLover and cazzo1980 like this.
ray0414 is offline  
post #136 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,353
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
the Oled TV market may be on the verge of a GIANT boost from Samsung. Samsung may convert an LCD factory into and oled factory as early as this August. might see QD-Oled by end of next year?


http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/...ml?idxno=33156
About damn time, this is good news if it becomes a reality.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #137 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
the Oled TV market may be on the verge of a GIANT boost from Samsung. Samsung may convert an LCD factory into and oled factory as early as this August. might see QD-Oled by end of next year?


http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/...ml?idxno=33156
I agree QD-BOLED is exciting and if Samsung decides to move forward with this investment in pilot production, it will boost the OLED TV market, but you must have missed this detail in the link you posted:

"Samsung Display is about to start investment in TV QD-OLED because the firm cannot delay its investment plan any longer in order to meet the goal of starting volume production of QD-OLED panels by 2021.

First QD-BOLED panels by 2021 means we won't see QD-BOLED TVs in mainstream channels before 2022...

At best, we might see a QD-BOLED demo at CES 2021, but the earliest CES they will be showing a potential product is 2022...

And all of this is predicated on the investment decision that was expected in April being made this month, as hoped:

"Earlier, the company was expected to announce investment plans for quantum-dot OLED (QD-OLED) for TVs in April, but it delayed the announcement."

"Samsung Display is planning to make a final decision on investment in QD-OLED TV panels at the end of this month [meaning end of June] or early next month [meaning July], according to display industry sources on June 23."

"Industry watchers think that Samsung Display will place an order for equipment in July and shut down its LCD line at the Asan Campus in Cheonan in August and transform it into TV QD-OLED production line."

We'll know immediately once the QD-BOLED investment decision is made, and it did not happen in June.

So first, we need to hear that the QD-BOLED investment decision has actiually been approved (the Samsung Visual Display Group woukd rather invest in MicroLED) and second we need to hear that purchase orders jave been placed before the end of this month for this program and this schedule to be anything but wishful thinking...

And here is some more sobering info on this Samsung QD-BOLED program: https://www.oled-info.com/reports-ko...s-it-can-begin

"According to a new report from China, Samsung will indeed go ahead with its QD-OLED production plans, but at a slower pace than was first estimated. Samsung will only begin trial production towards the end of 2020, with real mass production on a new 10-Gen line only at around 2023.

Samsung is apparently still struggling with technical issues, and has had to change the material deposition equipment (supplied by Canon Tokki). One of the major issues is that Samsung's QD-OLED panels suffer from burn-in (image retention) - which Samsung hoped to overcome completely in its designs."

Blue is the shortest-lifetime OLED material and Samsung really needs one of the new high-efficiency, long-lifetime blue OLED emitters (TADF or Hyperflorescence) to have any real chance of success with QD-BOLED. Those new-generation materials wete pronised to be industrialized by now, but they are still not ready (long lifetime with light blue but still too short of a lifetime with the deep blue needed by QD-BOLED).

Samsung's investment decision is basically a gamble that long-lifetime blue OLED emitters will be a reality before trial production begins to ramp up near the end of next year...
normanfox and anwsmh like this.

Last edited by fafrd; 07-02-2019 at 08:05 PM.
fafrd is offline  
post #138 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
bootymonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
@jmpage2 - thanks...I'll check it out!
Look for "street price" deals by searching OLED on Slickdeals.net or looking here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-o...t-found-deals/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

I got my TV Black Friday 2016, so it's not even 3yrs old and already is burned-in ie ruined in my eyes, so I actually am in a hurry to get a new set.
Contact LG. I've seen some reports of people getting their screen replaced due to burn-in even though it's years out of warranty (some B6's in particular, if I'm remembering correctly).
mbroadus and Stuntman_Mike like this.
bootymonger is offline  
post #139 of 388 Old 07-02-2019, 11:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
I roll my eyes every time someone says the oled is already bright enough. In hdr, oled struggles really bad in bright scenes that specular highlights may be as low as less than 300 nits, while on lcd it can reach 3-10 times as bright. Only when you watch hdr contents on a high nits lcd and see how bright the sun is or how impactful an explosion is, you realize how much you miss on an oled. Sure oled does not have blooming or bad viewing angle, but higher brightness is really important. That’️s why everyone is crazy about microled. Innolux is working on 31.5â€Â ips monitor with more than 1 million zones and 1000 nits peak brightness; once they are out and priced at less than $5000 I will throw away my oled
You are going to throw away your WOLED to purchase a 31.5" LCD putting out 1000 nits peak for $5000[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

There must be a typo in there somewhere. By 2022, once their 10.5G fab is up and running, LGD will be able to produce 32 32.5" WOLED panels for ~150% the cost of producing 6 55" WOLEDs today (in 8.5G). That translates to 32.5" WOLED panels costing less than 20% of the cost of 55" WOLED panels today and 32.5" WOLED TVs that probably 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of todays 55" WOLED TVs.

By then, 55" WOLEDs will be selling for under $1000 and they will have achieved 30% higher peak brightness (attached), meaning over 1200 nits.

So even if your typo was meaning $500 instead of $5000, by 2022 you'll be able to get a 32.5" WOLED putting out over 1000 nits for $250-$333.

Now, if your typo was to mean 10,000 nits where you typed 1000 nits, that's another story of course...
No typo here. That lcd monitor I mention has more than 1 million zones. That is enough to be in oled territory when it comes to light control, but now with 1000 nits peak brightness and much lower abl (this is important because even future oled can get 30% brighter like you said, unless abl is lowered significantly, i think bright scenes still won’t look much better).

However, I doubt I can even afford this. $5000 is very optimistic. Look at the “best” monitor pg35vq with measly 512 zones with terrible blooming which costs $4500 in my country. A c9 oled costs 1/3 of that.

Extra note: I don’t think oled will ever come in monitor size. People are too afraid of burn-in for pc use.

Last edited by Duc Vu; 07-02-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Duc Vu is offline  
post #140 of 388 Old 07-03-2019, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sammie2980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Well I currently have enough OLEDs so I skipped the 2019 models and opting for a 2020. Hoping to see 1 of the 2. Probably won't see either though lol

1. 77" 8K OLED not attached to a huge stand that is 14k or less
2. 77"+ preferable in the 80-88" range 4k OLED with all the missing features from the 9 series and ironed out 2.1

Either one of those is what I'm looking for and will replace my current 77" C8

LivingRoom: LG OLED77C8P /Oppo UDP-203/Denon X8500H/SVS SB16 ULTRA/M5300-PM/Paradigm 85F, 45c, Mythos Gem XL x4, SVS Prime Elevation x4 /PS4 Pro/X1X/Switch/AppleTV 4K
Bedroom: LG OLED65E6P / Oppo BDP103D / AppleTV // Office: Sony 55A9F / X1X
ISF Level I Certified, CalMan VideoPro, ChromaPure, i1D3 Pro, i1Pro, C6 HDR 2000, VideoForge Pro, Lightspace
Sammie2980 is offline  
post #141 of 388 Old 07-03-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootymonger View Post
Look for "street price" deals by searching OLED on Slickdeals.net or looking here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/322-o...t-found-deals/



Contact LG. I've seen some reports of people getting their screen replaced due to burn-in even though it's years out of warranty (some B6's in particular, if I'm remembering correctly).
I actually did that just that before seeing your response, but thanks for the suggestion. In the process of sending them pictures now. We'll see what happens.

Stuntman_Mike is online now  
post #142 of 388 Old 07-03-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
No typo here. That lcd monitor I mention has more than 1 million zones. That is enough to be in oled territory when it comes to light control, but now with 1000 nits peak brightness and much lower abl (this is important because even future oled can get 30% brighter like you said, unless abl is lowered significantly, i think bright scenes still won’t look much better).

However, I doubt I can even afford this. $5000 is very optimistic. Look at the “best” monitor pg35vq with measly 512 zones with terrible blooming which costs $4500 in my country. A c9 oled costs 1/3 of that.

Extra note: I don’t think oled will ever come in monitor size. People are too afraid of burn-in for pc use.
Laptops with OLED screens are becoming a thing, so I don't see why monitors would be out of the question.

Stuntman_Mike is online now  
post #143 of 388 Old 07-03-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,623
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
I am willing to take the risk with a OLED TV, which i only will use for watching movies in the dark, possibly having black bar issues within 5 years..i do not mind. I bought a few FG2421 Eizo LCD monitors which look pretty good in the semi dark, i care less about picture of a laptop which i never use in the (semi) dark anyway. I will keep those Eizo's till improved LCD monitors come along. Not interested in buying a OLED monitor or laptop.
8mile13 is offline  
post #144 of 388 Old 07-03-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
the Oled TV market may be on the verge of a GIANT boost from Samsung. Samsung may convert an LCD factory into and oled factory as early as this August. might see QD-Oled by end of next year?





http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/...ml?idxno=33156

I wish they would support Dolby Vision.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
post #145 of 388 Old 07-03-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dianabol5mg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I agree QD-BOLED is exciting and if Samsung decides to move forward with this investment in pilot production, it will boost the OLED TV market, but you must have missed this detail in the link you posted:

"Samsung Display is about to start investment in TV QD-OLED because the firm cannot delay its investment plan any longer in order to meet the goal of starting volume production of QD-OLED panels by 2021.

First QD-BOLED panels by 2021 means we won't see QD-BOLED TVs in mainstream channels before 2022...

At best, we might see a QD-BOLED demo at CES 2021, but the earliest CES they will be showing a potential product is 2022...

And all of this is predicated on the investment decision that was expected in April being made this month, as hoped:

"Earlier, the company was expected to announce investment plans for quantum-dot OLED (QD-OLED) for TVs in April, but it delayed the announcement."

"Samsung Display is planning to make a final decision on investment in QD-OLED TV panels at the end of this month [meaning end of June] or early next month [meaning July], according to display industry sources on June 23."

"Industry watchers think that Samsung Display will place an order for equipment in July and shut down its LCD line at the Asan Campus in Cheonan in August and transform it into TV QD-OLED production line."

We'll know immediately once the QD-BOLED investment decision is made, and it did not happen in June.

So first, we need to hear that the QD-BOLED investment decision has actiually been approved (the Samsung Visual Display Group woukd rather invest in MicroLED) and second we need to hear that purchase orders jave been placed before the end of this month for this program and this schedule to be anything but wishful thinking...

And here is some more sobering info on this Samsung QD-BOLED program: https://www.oled-info.com/reports-ko...s-it-can-begin

"According to a new report from China, Samsung will indeed go ahead with its QD-OLED production plans, but at a slower pace than was first estimated. Samsung will only begin trial production towards the end of 2020, with real mass production on a new 10-Gen line only at around 2023.

Samsung is apparently still struggling with technical issues, and has had to change the material deposition equipment (supplied by Canon Tokki). One of the major issues is that Samsung's QD-OLED panels suffer from burn-in (image retention) - which Samsung hoped to overcome completely in its designs."

Blue is the shortest-lifetime OLED material and Samsung really needs one of the new high-efficiency, long-lifetime blue OLED emitters (TADF or Hyperflorescence) to have any real chance of success with QD-BOLED. Those new-generation materials wete pronised to be industrialized by now, but they are still not ready (long lifetime with light blue but still too short of a lifetime with the deep blue needed by QD-BOLED).

Samsung's investment decision is basically a gamble that long-lifetime blue OLED emitters will be a reality before trial production begins to ramp up near the end of next year...

This could be a hint at where things are going.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1562150981

Earlier this year, Samsung received the same certification from TÜV Rheinland for its mobile OLED displays that are said to emit 61% less blue light than conventional LCD displays in smartphones. These advances will be brought to mid-size OLED panels later, Samsung said.

Still dont know when, but it may be soon.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
Dianabol5mg is offline  
post #146 of 388 Old 07-04-2019, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
bootymonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Problem: Blue is the shortest-lifetime OLED material
Solution: Turn blue off/down and say it's good for your eyes.

Not really, but almost/kinda.
lsorensen likes this.
bootymonger is offline  
post #147 of 388 Old 07-27-2019, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
bootymonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Does anyone think the superior anti-reflective properties of the Q80/90 screen will make it to LG OLEDs? Does that screen reduce brightness but the Samsungs have brightness to spare and can do it? Or is it just nifty technology that doesn't reduce brightness too much but still looks better than a (no longer available) matte screen? If you stand in a bright showroom you hardly see your own reflection in the Sammy and the store windows/lights are much more muted than any OLED. I suppose Samsung might put it on one of their OLEDs, but those are years away. Thoughts?
bootymonger is offline  
post #148 of 388 Old 08-07-2019, 11:56 AM
Member
 
KimbaWLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It never is the right time. My Sharp Aqus broke and I needed a set in 2017 I bought a 65" Sony 900XE and it was like $1300 on a Black Friday say. It broke one a month or 2 ago, the T Board, but it was fixed under the warranty I bought with the set and its good as new! I do NOT regret buying that set.

Just last year I needed another and on Black Friday 2018 I bought an OLED from LG the B series 55" with the A7 Brain. I used it with kid gloves but I bought it for $1200 and only now is the price that way again. I am paranoid about burn in. I bought to replace my 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma that I moved upstairs. I wanted a 65" but it was cost prohibitive for me at the time and I WANTED the best picture so I chose quality over size hence the 55".

I need another and AGAIN I am waiting to Black Friday. I will never have the $5-6K to spend on a set so I will always be making compromises. 8K? There will not be content of large amount for years. I praise early adopters that have the money spend or else the
price would NEVER drop.. Who knows what I will end up buying BUT I do want it to be OLED I love my Sony XE900 2017 but the OLED by LG DOES blow it away where even I can obviously see it... My website of choice for reviewing TVS is www.rtings.com like a lot of us here.

I may not be the BEST guy, BUT I am NOT the bad guy!!- Coop from Megas XLR
KimbaWLion is offline  
post #149 of 388 Old 08-07-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hockeynut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MO
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I WOULD like to wait for 2020. Unless of course there's a really nice price drop on a Sony OLED A9G 65 inch for around $2500.00 later this year.

Mike

xbox/psn: duke63031
hockeynut is offline  
post #150 of 388 Old 08-08-2019, 12:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Not melodramatic for me. Again, I can totally see how others would not share my sentiment, but this is my sentiment lol.

I got my TV Black Friday 2016, so it's not even 3yrs old and already is burned-in ie ruined in my eyes, so I actually am in a hurry to get a new set. I would have been in the market anyway as I want a bigger set than 65", but a damaged TV hastens that desire further.

Thing is, I'm not going to make a hasty decision and compound things for myself. I want great PQ, which 2019 TVs offer, but I also want some future proofing. I am a hardcore gamer, so HDMI 2.1 is very important to me, even if it doesn't get used to the fullest for a couple years. I'd rather not take advantage of inputs for two years and have them sitting there, than be back on the TV mkt in 2yrs.

I also want to see what advancements OLED makes on the burn-in resistance front, because I'm not going to stop playing games and the 2016 OLEDs at least are not anywhere near up to the challenge. I also want to see what advancements LCDs make in contrast, which would probably cause me to jump ship. As much as I have always been an emissive guy, and have never owned an LCD other than as a PC monitor, and as much as I absolutely adore the picture of an OLED, it just may not be the best choice for someone that games as much as I do. If Best Buy is still covering BI with their warranties by the time I'm buying, that might make all the difference.

Great time for most people to be in the market, but for me, TV landscape is kind of a waystation right now. The worse news is, it could be that way for 2020, as well.

What did you have before the 2016 LG OLED? Looks like you are in a bad spot with the gaming requirement and being tied into a burned in 2016 model.
richmondthefish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off