AVS Forum banner

Are you waiting for 2020 to buy a new OLED?

85K views 409 replies 130 participants last post by  Jin-X 
#1 ·
I'm curious if anyone else is waiting and what you are hoping for in 2020 (realistically)? I'm not sure why I think I should wait until 2020 but I will have run out of patience waiting for bigger sizes to drop in price and for new panel tech to come out by then. I may go crazy and get the mid year Sony OLED but I don't know what to expect in the mid year that will get me to forgo the wait.

#35 ·
I recently bought a 43" UHD LCD TV for $179. It was a Fire TV that supposedly is HDR. It's in my exercise room, so I don't care about image quality that much. I just wanted something that has Netflix and ARC to my receiver.

The picture quality is not OLED by any means, but honestly, for the price, it's not bad.

The reason I mention this is, the price of OLED will have to come down a lot to be competitive going forward. Clearly this TV isn't direct competition for OLED, but it is competition for other LCDs that are

#38 ·
Was gonna wait but went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 65C8 (newegg price matched at BB). Now that I have been researching in depth I am very hesitant as I don't know if the picture quality will be any better than my vt60 plasma. Don't know if the c9 will have less banding issues/better uniformity or if maybe something in 2020 will be worth the wait.

#43 ·
I like my kuro, works fine, and I won't really be interested in upgrading until there's QD OLED or inkjet printed OLED from Sony/LG/Samsung. Having a smart tv would be a nice bonus buy my roku stick is alright now.

Then again if there's a 65" OLED that retails for $2k next year from Vizio, I would strongly consider that. I think those prices are 2-3 years away though.

Reactions: gorman42
#47 ·
What? Even LGs standard internal media player can handle remuxxed UHD-Blu-Rays (streamed), even with Dolby Vision if it's in an mp4 container. Plex and Xplay can play those too.
So that's already 3 TV apps that can do what you claim no app can....

#50 · (Edited)
As far as Plex goes I know there are a lot of limitations currently on 4K playback, I don't believe that Plex playback currently supports certain color depths, Dolby Vision, etc. The capabilities tend to be very specific for direct-play capability, even using forced subtitles or certain audio/video formats tend to results in the media file needing to be transcoded in the server.

If the TVs native media player app is able to play "remuxed" UHD BDs and the stream is bit-rate starved and buffering and it's for sure due to the 100mbps limitation of the onboard hardware then that sounds like an issue for LG to address. WiFi is not ideal but if the TV supports 802.11AC then it should also be possible to do streaming over that since it supports real world rates approaching a gig.

Certainly inclusion of gigabit would be expected in 2019 but it also still adds a small cost and manufacturers are always looking to squeeze every penny out of the margins on these TVs that they can.

FWIW I don't think that the Q90R supports gigabit ethernet either and not sure that Sony's flagship OLEDs do either.

#48 ·
Depending what display you have now. I have C8 and I am going to wait till +1000 nits OLED will be available . I think they will come close to 1000 nits next year.

#55 ·
I have two plasmas, retired the one from daily use (10 years old) as i was just starting to see signs of burn in on a blue screen, (the damned black bars at top and bottom). then i bought an led for a daily driver. ive been happy with all three. one of my biggest concerns has been reliability, how are they standing up? maintaining brightness, pq, stuck pixels, and still functioning. maybe it shouldnt bother me as i seem to upgrade around 7-8 years anyways, but its holding me back.

#56 ·
I think that everything with HDMI 2.1 is just too much in transition and I am not interested in flipping panels every few years. First of all, there is no HDMI 2.1 GPU from AMD/nVidia or console and no HDMI 2.1 soundbar.

I want two different screens:
1: 65" OLED TV 2160p120 with all HDMI 2.1 ports/features (VRR, eARC). Support for Android TV, Chromecast, FreeSync, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Gigabit internet, ATSC 3.0, USB 3.2, and Bluetooth v5.0. Also must support 1440p120.

2: 49" or less OLED PC monitor 2160p120-144 with all HDMI 2.1/DP 1.4 ports/features and support for FreeSync and 1440p120-144.

#65 ·
I keep looking at the OLED advancement sticky - knowing full well there won't be any news until CES as it is unlikely much meaningful and functional stuff will show up before CES 2020 (if there is any big news in 2020). I still can hope.

#66 ·
The only reason I'm waiting for 2020 is to buy another, larger LG OLED.
Bought a C8 65" on closeout and I now want at least a 77".

Will be haunting the deals thread starting in March 2020 for 77.
Word is LG will be selling an 88" in the near future.
I'm positive that it will be too rich for me at that time.

2018/19 deals from Black Friday on were very different.
All of the really good deals were limited to a certain amount that sold out fast.
I wasn't entirely convinced until the deal I got came along and checked all of the boxes.
Great seller, no tax, free shipping.

I was truly stunned by how good these displays are. Never expected that much of an improvement over 1080 plasma.
Got mine calibrated yesterday and HS! does it look beautiful.
Viewed some reference content on the yet to be released Spears & Munsil 4k disc.
No banding, fantastic contrast, detail & such a solid an image.

100" OLEDs that match JVC projector prices will take a serious chunk of their market share, imo.
Certain folks will not want to give up the 120 & up screens but I'm not 1 of them.

#73 ·
My Chad B calibrated LG B6 is still going strong, but it's coming up on 3 years, and I started looking to see if I should upgrade or not. I want to up size as well, but I'm not willing to pay the 77" LG OLED price. Like others, I'm hoping for a that price to start coming down in the coming years. I can hold out since my TV is superb with no burn in.

#75 ·
^lol, OLED has come down from the days of 20K TVs. Of course, we're talking about coming down from where they currently are.

#76 ·
^of course, I guess the way I look at it is that now I would be paying what would be equivalent to a 65inch oled 4 years ago to a 77 now...of course ymmv on what you find acceptable.

#77 ·
The bottom line is that LGD spends 50% more per panel manufacturing 77" WOLEDs versus what they spend manufacturing 65" WOLED panels (meain that the intrinsic cost of a 77" WOLED TV is less than 1.5 times the cost of a 65" WOLED TV.

The price of the 77C9 remains far higher that 1.5X the price if the 65C9 (no matter where you want to look), which means LGD remains far more motivated by share of the 65" Premium TV Market than they do by share of the 75/77" Premium TV Market.

When 75/77" WOLED TVs cost less than 1.5 times the cost of 65" WOLED TVs, we'll know LGD is finally motivated to gain share in the Ultra Large Screen Pemium TV Market...

(p.s. this translates to 75/77" WOLEDs for under $3000 when 65" WOLEDs are available for under $2000 which I am currently predicting is likely to first occur in Spring 2021...).

#78 ·
^honestly I dont pay attention to how many panels LG makes or spends on in a year, however just two years ago the 77G7 was at an astronomical price, now LG for the past two years has offered a cheaper alternative...just look at the price of the 77C8. While there not technically "cheap" they are undeniably trending in the right direction...which in reality is all I said in my post.

#79 ·
I'll probably be purchasing a 55C10 in 2020. Currently I have a 55B7. Three years feels reasonably ok to me in terms of upgrading a television. I'm waiting til 2020 because I don't feel like outlaying the cash for a C9 this year and 2 years feels a bit too soon to replace a tthe b7.

In terms of 2020, I'd like the C10 to have 13ms or less input lag like the C9. For the headphone jack to still be there as game mode isn't possible with bluetooth headphones and I like to game using headphones. Outside of that nothing really comes to mind in terms of improvements. I'm pretty happy with my B7 so there isn't too much to improve to me.

#80 · (Edited)
I'm hoping the 4K 77" OLED panel sticks around and becomes less of a premium product as they introduce 88", 77", and 65" 8K models. Since they're projecting to more than double 2019 OLED TV capacity in the next year and a half, although partly by adding 48" models, it probably makes sense for me to continue sitting on the sidelines. I'm sure I'll consider buying a 77" C9 once it gets to my selected price, but it's possible that future models may hit even more of my buying considerations. I figure the premium segment is likely to trend towards 8K in the next couple model years, so right now targeting a future 4K model, or even waiting on the P10 plant, seems more compelling than current options.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1559553128

#81 ·
I'm hoping the 4K 77" OLED panel sticks around and becomes less of a premium product as they introduce 88", 77", and 65" 8K models. Since they're projecting to more than double 2019 OLED TV capacity in the next year and a half, although partly by adding 48" models, it probably makes sense for me to continue sitting on the sidelines. I'm sure I'll consider buying a 77" C9 once it gets to my selected price, but it's possible that future models may hit even more of my buying considerations.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1559553128
65", there is a chance (ie: 65B-Series remains a budget 4K model even after 65C-Series has gone to 8K) but at 75/77", I doubt it. Once the new 10.5G plant is manufacturing 65" and 75" WOLED panels in late 2021/2022, LGD will have a big incentive to phase out 77" WOLEDs in favor of 75" panels and I'm suspecting they will only introduce 75" WOLED panels as 8K.

On the other hand, there will almost certainly be at least one full year of overlap (77" 4K panels and 75/77" 8K panels).

And also, there is a reasonable chance that when LG announces the end of the 77" WOLEDs, they may introduce an 82" 8K WOLED panel to compensate... (with MMG, the production cost of 2 82" WOLED panels and 2 48" WOLED panels is close to identical to the production cost of 2 77" WOLED panels and 2 48" WOLED panels...).

#82 ·
I think it is important for TV manufacturers to continue to support older models with OS upgrades.

This is why I like Sony and Android TV. Older generations are still getting OS upgrades as long as the hardware supports it. Unlike webOS where LG turns their back on older generations.

I also want HDMI 2.1 and I am hoping that Sony’s 2020 OLEDs will come with it.

#83 ·
I think it is important for TV manufacturers to continue to support older models with OS upgrades.

This is why I like Sony and Android TV. Older generations are still getting OS upgrades as long as the hardware supports it. Unlike webOS where LG turns their back on older generations.

I also want HDMI 2.1 and I am hoping that Sony’s 2020 OLEDs will come with it.
That's a near-certainty. I don't think you'll find a single Premium TV without HDMI 2.1 next model year...

#85 ·
Also waiting until next year to see what improvements come. I have a 65B7 which is pretty good, except the prominent vertical banding (credit card warranty took care of me there) and near black noise. Not convinced by 2019 models, seem like very minor improvements overall to a non-gamer.

#87 ·
I am waiting for my plasma to break. Then if I am still around I will take a look at replacement options. There is no market for a plasma but it works very well for me. And it is too big for my trash can.:)

Reactions: anwsmh
#105 ·
Yep...just had my Panny calibrated again and it looks better than ever. Hard to replace a display that looks so good. Maybe if the price of the 77A9G drops below $4k at the end of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#91 ·
No, I'm happy with my two OLEDs. If I ever get a new one I would wait for LG Display to improve the motion resolution via new BFI algorithms. That's really the only area for improvement IMO. I couldn't care less about having more nits, OLEDs are already too bright for me. Also don't care about HDMI 2.1.

Unfortunately on the manufacturer side it seems like build quality gets worse each year. Just saw an A9G and it feels as cheap as the A8F. It literally wobbles on its stand. A8G was a step below that, on par with what LG puts out today. A1E and A9F, and some of the high end 6 series LGs, were the only ones that looked and felt like premium TVs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.