2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 862Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 1354 Old 05-16-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RadTech51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Has anyone heard anything on when Sony will open up the orders for the 77” A9G? I’m guessing now it won’t be until the end of May with a shipping date near the very end of June.

Update: So I just found out that the 77” A9G, quote: “It comes off embargo on June 2”
Apparently stores can’t place orders with Sony until then.

 

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.

Last edited by RadTech51; 05-16-2019 at 02:31 PM.
RadTech51 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 1354 Old 05-16-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buggs1a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tukwila, WA
Posts: 1,761
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have a C9 65” and called ABT Monday to do an exchange for the A9G 65”. He said they came in that day and mine would go out that day. It did. I’m 2 hrs from falling off the west coast in Wa state so I have to wait till next week. Should be here by Wednesday. Then delivery will call to schedule white glove delivery date.
gadgtfreek likes this.
buggs1a is offline  
post #33 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 06:22 AM
Newbie
 
OooAhh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My XBR-55A9G

Quote:
Originally Posted by OooAhh View Post
The A9G are out there, however, it appears that video geeks that use microscope to critique and have the time to dwell on every web comment are still waiting.
We received our 55" A9G from ABT yesterday. This set replaced bedroom TV (dark - nighttime viewing). Initial settings adjustments were quick to match/improvement over calibrated Sharp Aquos that was 5 times the $ when new. Super improvements with 1080 from cable converter, unbelievable sound without any visible speakers, 4K demo files from thumb drive are fabulous. I have not seen anything as good in BestBuy demo rooms.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Additional to my comments above. . . still absolutely no issues or complaints. Network and sports TV via 1080 cable box as well as 4K via USB thumb-drive show impressive improvement over 70" Sharp Aquos (professionally calibrated) and of course the 40" Toshiba it replaced in bedroom. Older TV's now look like they are flat with slight haze over long lens baseball camera images with A9G cleaning up to remove the film, increase detail + contrast and give it what my wife agrees is a perceivable 3D effect. 3D perception is even more noticeable on 4K video via USB - I assume this is mostly from the higher resolution image including up-scaling from 1080 video.
I was concerned about Sony listing power consumption at 373 watts. However, actual power used when in use at MAX brightness was about 83 watts, about 75 watts at 40% brightness (around 20% of Sony max power consumption specification), and about 68 watts at 25% (current setting for darkened bedroom). For comparison, 40" Toshiba is rated for 3 amp. max (360 watts) but with bedroom brightness settings it was consuming about 160 watts. Going from 40" to 55 in our bedroom also makes small text much more readable with glasses off.
I have been considering replacing the 70" Sharp Aquos with either XBR-85x950G or XBR-85Z9G but was also concerned with Sony specifications for power consumption. If in-use power is also about 20% of Sony listed maximum specification, I would suspect 85" 950G to consume about 85 watts (not the 417 watts Sony lists for power consumption, and the 85" Z9G to consume about 180 watts - not the 900 watts they show in specification listing. I expect to go with the 85" Z9G to replace 70" Sharp Aquos if the image and sound are noticeably better than 85" 950G.
No gaming, no banding/flashing/ghosting/flare/overshoot/DVD/streaming/microscopic-critique from us . . . we purchased the 55" A9G for use as TV hoping for as good or better than others - not to scientifically dissect and look for something that may bother others but is not noticeable in how the TV will be used.
OooAhh is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,235
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4279 Post(s)
Liked: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by OooAhh View Post
The A9G are out there, however, it appears that video geeks that use microscope to critique and have the time to dwell on every web comment are still waiting.
We received our 55" A9G from ABT yesterday. This set replaced bedroom TV (dark - nighttime viewing). Initial settings adjustments were quick to match/improvement over calibrated Sharp Aquos that was 5 times the $ when new. Super improvements with 1080 from cable converter, unbelievable sound without any visible speakers, 4K demo files from thumb drive are fabulous. I have not seen anything as good in BestBuy demo rooms.
I'm not sure what you are talking about since most retailers just got deliveries this week. I'm booked all next week calibrating these new Sony's.
helvetica bold and gadgtfreek like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #35 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 07:30 AM
Newbie
 
OooAhh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I'm not sure what you are talking about since most retailers just got deliveries this week. I'm booked all next week calibrating these new Sony's.
.
A9G TV was received on Wednesday from ABT not via Value Electronics. It has not been professionally calibrated. I set it up (temporally) next to our 65" Sharp Aquos LC-65XS1(when new it was the same MSRP as sony shows for the 85" Z9G). The Sharp TV was previously calibrated by Gregg from Lion Video. I adjusted the new A9G to match the image on the calibrated TV sitting next to it prior to wall mounting tha A9G in bedroom. New A9G now appears spot-on match for color saturation, etc., etc. and with final result an nice improvement over the Sharp Aquos - natural images - not vivid or pushed brightness or contrast, etc.. Difference on baseball was a major improvement in clarity, particularly when cameras were shooting a long shot.
OooAhh is online now  
post #36 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,235
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4279 Post(s)
Liked: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by OooAhh View Post
.
A9G TV was received on Wednesday from ABT not via Value Electronics. It has not been professionally calibrated. I set it up (temporally) next to our 65" Sharp Aquos LC-65XS1(when new it was the same MSRP as sony shows for the 85" Z9G). The Sharp TV was previously calibrated by Gregg from Lion Video. I adjusted the new A9G to match the image on the calibrated TV sitting next to it prior to wall mounting tha A9G in bedroom. New A9G now appears spot-on match for color saturation, etc., etc. and with final result an nice improvement over the Sharp Aquos - natural images - not vivid or pushed brightness or contrast, etc.. Difference on baseball was a major improvement in clarity, particularly when cameras were shooting a long shot.
Good, i'm glad you are happy with your new set. I'm not surprised because it's a Sony.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #37 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Where are the impressions? How the tv compares to the a9f or to the c9 is what i wanna know. everyone and their mom knows an a9g oled will look much better than an old sharp lcd meh.
Menarini is online now  
post #38 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CNY
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Where are the impressions? How the tv compares to the a9f or to the c9 is what i wanna know. everyone and their mom knows an a9g oled will look much better than an old sharp lcd meh.
Lol very true

Sony A9G 65"/LG C8 65”- Bose 300 w/surround cubes- Xbox One X- PS4 Pro
XoOledxo is offline  
post #39 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
alettiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Where are the impressions? How the tv compares to the a9f or to the c9 is what i wanna know. everyone and their mom knows an a9g oled will look much better than an old sharp lcd meh.

You’ll have to wait for the pros to get their hands on them for that information. Often times, the first owner, or even the first few owners, aren’t calibrators or people coming from a 2018 OLED. They’re just people who are upgrading their old TVs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alettiere is offline  
post #40 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
You put 100-200 hours on one before you calibrate them and ship out to customers... It has several functions like checking for banding, allowing some compensation cycles to run, allowing any white balance type shifts to happen before you calibrate. Some displays have a decent shift not long after use, so if you calibrated it with 3 hours and shipped it out, it may shift sooner than later.

I have had OLED's calibrated by jrref at VE tested at 1000 hours, and they are still spot on. That's the benefit of their inspection and calibration. It shows up tested and ready to race, with little or no banding (in my experience).
Doesn't the factory do some level of 'break-in' already?
Just wondering, since returns on these cannot be cheap.
daraghfi is offline  
post #41 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,235
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4279 Post(s)
Liked: 5233
OK so I went to VE to look at the A9Gs breaking in and before I say anything, since i'm calibrating them next week, I didn't put a meter on the set. I just put it in Custom PM and made sure all the settings were correct at default with no picture enhancements on except putting peak luminance to High and looked at the set in the showroom with all the sets playing Planet Earth.

To my surprise, the A9G is noticeably sharper and the colors are brighter, not over saturated, than the LG C9 right next to it and the other's in the showroom, even with the peak luminance set to high on the LG in SDR. It's not just edge sharpening but overall picture processing that's making the picture look sharper and more dynamic. I'm guessing they are doing more processing with their pixel booster technology. I can't determine if it's the same as the A9F or better since they don't have any of those sets on display any more. The panel looks the same as the LGs and has the same slight tinting anomalies so the difference is in the picture processing. Also, Sony may have improved on motion a little more because fast panning on the Sony looked sharper than on the LG.

I'll know more after I calibrate the sets next week but so far I was really surprised. It's almost like Sony comes out with the A9F, LG then tweaks their C9's to equal or beat it then Sony comes out with the A9G to beat the 2019 LGs. I even put up familiar content from my usb drive to verify what I was seeing.

The first attached picture is the A9G and the second the C9. The iPhone camera is picking up some reflections from the store on the C9 so ignore the rainbowing, etc.. Just compare the parts that are clear. Look at the woman on the right. You can see more of the freckles on her upper arm. Also the C9 picture is slightly closer so it should appear sharper but the A9G does.

Again, both Excellent TVs with outstanding picture quality and you can't go wrong with either set.

Edit: The A9G also has the new menu system like the 950Gs and although I didn't listen to the sound, Wendy said it's really good now with Dolby Atmos from the TV's speakers. The set was mounted on the wall so I can't comment on the stand but it basically looks like a A9F without the easel stand and has a black frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0423.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2567994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2567996  
Spizz, WOLVERNOLE, rossi46 and 4 others like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 05-17-2019 at 01:11 PM.
jrref is online now  
post #42 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
OK so I went to VE to look at the A9Gs breaking in and before I say anything, since i'm calibrating them next week, I didn't put a meter on the set. I just put it in Custom PM and made sure all the settings were correct at default with no picture enhancements on except putting peak luminance to High and looked at the set in the showroom with all the sets playing Planet Earth.

To my surprise, the A9G is noticeably sharper and the colors are brighter, not over saturated, than the LG C9 right next to it and the other's in the showroom, even with the peak luminance set to high on the LG in SDR. It's not just edge sharpening but overall picture processing that's making the picture look sharper and more dynamic. I'm guessing they are doing more processing with their pixel booster technology. I can't determine if it's the same as the A9F or better since they don't have any of those sets on display any more. The panel looks the same as the LGs and has the same slight tinting anomalies so the difference is in the picture processing. Also, Sony may have improved on motion a little more because fast panning on the Sony looked sharper than on the LG.

I'll know more after I calibrate the sets next week but so far I was really surprised. It's almost like Sony comes out with the A9F, LG then tweaks their C9's to equal or beat it then Sony comes out with the A9G to beat the 2019 LGs. I even put up familiar content from my usb drive to verify what I was seeing.

The first attached picture is the A9G and the second the C9. The iPhone camera is picking up some reflections from the store on the C9 so ignore the rainbowing, etc.. Just compare the parts that are clear. Look at the woman on the right. You can see more of the freckles on her upper arm. Also the C9 picture is slightly closer so it should appear sharper but the A9G does.

Again, both Excellent TVs with outstanding picture quality and you can't go wrong with either set.

Edit: The A9G also has the new menu system like the 950Gs and although I didn't listen to the sound, Wendy said it's really good now with Dolby Atmos from the TV's speakers. The set was mounted on the wall so I can't comment on the stand but it basically looks like a A9F without the easel stand and has a black frame.
Do you have a website or anything that details your calibration services? Sorry, slightly off topic but unable to send PM's at post count
matt87 is offline  
post #43 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
To my surprise, the A9G is noticeably sharper and the colors are brighter, not over saturated, than the LG C9 right next to it and the other's in the showroom, even with the peak luminance set to high on the LG in SDR. It's not just edge sharpening but overall picture processing that's making the picture look sharper and more dynamic. I'm guessing they are doing more processing with their pixel booster technology. I can't determine if it's the same as the A9F or better since they don't have any of those sets on display any more. The panel looks the same as the LGs and has the same slight tinting anomalies so the difference is in the picture processing. Also, Sony may have improved on motion a little more because fast panning on the Sony looked sharper than on the LG.
Man, there was an article posted few days back in the a9g anticipation thread talking about the pixel contrast booster being even more refined on the a9g, i wrote it off as rumor, could there be some truth to it?

And would there be no way for your store to arrange an A9F so you could compare the F and G side by side? That is a comparison i'm really curious about.

Last edited by Menarini; 05-17-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Menarini is online now  
post #44 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,235
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4279 Post(s)
Liked: 5233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Man, there was an article posted few days back in the a9g anticipation thread talking about the pixel contrast booster being even more refined on the a9g, i wrote it off as rumor, could there be some truth to it?

And would there be no way for your store to arrange an A9F so you could compare the F and G side by side? That is a comparison i'm really curious about.
No sorry but i'll check the color volume and see how it compares to the A9F. In my personal opinion, I was kind of "shocked" at the PQ on the A9G today since I was expecting it to be pretty much on par with the C9. The only thing I can say is when they got the first C9's in, there was an A9F in the showroom and the PQ looked close to me with the Sony still sharper even with the C9's peak luminance set to high but the A9G looks like it's a step up from that from memory. I believe we are seeing what we expected, incremental improvements from both these sets.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #45 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buggs1a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tukwila, WA
Posts: 1,761
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Does anyone know if the A9G will switch to game mode when gaming or do you have to manually do it every single time? Can it remember your hdr setting?

On LG I’ll open an HDR game. The LG changes to HDR. I’ll set it to game mode. So it’s in HDR game. Now every time I open HDR games on my consoles the LG remembers and it’s in HDR game. But when I go back to non HDR it goes back to dark expert.

Anyway I just don’t want to have to manually change modes EVERY single time I play games.

Also will the A9G tell you when it goes into HDR or do you have to manually find out? LG pops up HDR when it’s got an hdr signal.

Anyway. I’m waiting for my A9G to come next week.
buggs1a is offline  
post #46 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 374
On sony tv's previously, if you bring up picture settings, on the right side there is a hdr label to show the tv is playing hdr10. With dolby vision, you also have a dolby vision pop up label when a DV video starts playing. Now unless the A9G made some changes to this, don't know yet.
Menarini is online now  
post #47 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,718
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2052 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
On sony tv's previously, if you bring up picture settings, on the right side there is a hdr label to show the tv is playing hdr10. With dolby vision, you also have a dolby vision pop up label when a DV video starts playing. Now unless the A9G made some changes to this, don't know yet.
My buddy’s 900E is like that. No indicator. You have you open menu to see HDR tag.
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #48 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
Does anyone know if the A9G will switch to game mode when gaming or do you have to manually do it every single time? Can it remember your hdr setting?

The A9G does not support ALLM.
JD23 is online now  
post #49 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 05:22 PM
Member
 
rossi46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Great... I've been happy with my 55" B6 for years, but this thread has me wanting the A9G!

LG OLED 55" B6 | Oppo UDP-203 | Yamaha RX-A1060 | KEF KHT-3005 | BlueJeansCable
- video and audio calibrated by Jeff Meier -
rossi46 is offline  
post #50 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buggs1a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tukwila, WA
Posts: 1,761
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 53
JD23. I am not referring to ALLM. My E6 doesn’t either.
buggs1a is offline  
post #51 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buggs1a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tukwila, WA
Posts: 1,761
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
Great... I've been happy with my 55" B6 for years, but this thread has me wanting the A9G!
Me too. I have the E6.

I’m just concerned about some stuff.
buggs1a is offline  
post #52 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,718
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2052 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
Does anyone know if the A9G will switch to game mode when gaming or do you have to manually do it every single time? Can it remember your hdr setting?

The A9G does not support ALLM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
JD23. I am not referring to ALLM. My E6 doesn’t either.
I think he’s asking does sdr game mode and hdr game mode have their own settings? Like if you have it on game mode and then play an hdr game it automatically goes into hdr game?

Because otherwise there’s no auto switching from say custom to game mode without ALLM.
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #53 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 06:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
Has anyone heard anything on when Sony will open up the orders for the 77” A9G? I’m guessing now it won’t be until the end of May with a shipping date near the very end of June.

Update: So I just found out that the 77” A9G, quote: “It comes off embargo on June 2”
Apparently stores can’t place orders with Sony until then.
Pc Richards can .
JambaJuice is offline  
post #54 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buggs1a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tukwila, WA
Posts: 1,761
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
I think he’s asking does sdr game mode and hdr game mode have their own settings? Like if you have it on game mode and then play an hdr game it automatically goes into hdr game?

Because otherwise there’s no auto switching from say custom to game mode without ALLM.
Well. My E6 doesn’t have ALLM. But it remembers. So when I loaded an HDR game the E6 goes into HDR. Then I changed to game HDR. Now when I eat h tv it’s set for dark expert. So when I load a game my tv goes HDR game because it remembers. When I quit the game it goes back to expert dark. But of course if I load say an HDR blue ray on my Xbox one x the tv goes into HDR game I think. I haven’t watched any movies for a long time so I forget.

But I’m just saying my LG remembers is all and I only play games or watch standard Xfinity. But I did just buy Wonder Woman 4K HDR BluRay so I’ll find out if it’s hdr game or not. And I’m guessing it will be since it’s not ALLM.

But to me I can’t take advantage of VRR or ALLM because my Anthem MRX 720 doesn’t support it.
buggs1a is offline  
post #55 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 07:27 PM
Member
 
legends92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I’m not sure if previous Sonys have this, but the A9G speakers can connect to a AV receiver to make it a center channel. I wonder how good the quality is. It is designed to emanate from the back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmdd likes this.
legends92 is online now  
post #56 of 1354 Old 05-17-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,697
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
No sorry but i'll check the color volume and see how it compares to the A9F. In my personal opinion, I was kind of "shocked" at the PQ on the A9G today since I was expecting it to be pretty much on par with the C9. The only thing I can say is when they got the first C9's in, there was an A9F in the showroom and the PQ looked close to me with the Sony still sharper even with the C9's peak luminance set to high but the A9G looks like it's a step up from that from memory. I believe we are seeing what we expected, incremental improvements from both these sets.


Can you please test abl aggressiveness in sports compared to a c8 or c9?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
WOLVERNOLE, JD23 and jrref like this.

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X
sd13 is offline  
post #57 of 1354 Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
Well. My E6 doesn’t have ALLM. But it remembers. So when I loaded an HDR game the E6 goes into HDR. Then I changed to game HDR. Now when I eat h tv it’s set for dark expert. So when I load a game my tv goes HDR game because it remembers. When I quit the game it goes back to expert dark. But of course if I load say an HDR blue ray on my Xbox one x the tv goes into HDR game I think. I haven’t watched any movies for a long time so I forget.

No Sonys behave like that. If you set the TV to game mode, it will enter the HDR version of game mode for HDR signals and the SDR version for SDR signals. If the A9G is like other recent Sonys, some settings, such as brightness and contrast will be unique for HDR and SDR modes, but most other settings will carry over between the two.
JD23 is online now  
post #58 of 1354 Old 05-18-2019, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5928
Finally set to close on new house 5/22/19. Cannot wait to get the A9G in the new HT room we are making. Gotta buy some more speakers and power recliners soon too. Cash is flowing out lol.
helvetica bold and chunon like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #59 of 1354 Old 05-18-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RadTech51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by JambaJuice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
Has anyone heard anything on when Sony will open up the orders for the 77” A9G? I’m guessing now it won’t be until the end of May with a shipping date near the very end of June. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]

Update: So I just found out that the 77” A9G, quote: “It comes off embargo on June 2”
Apparently stores can’t place orders with Sony until then.
Pc Richards can .
A lot of company’s will take orders on almost anything regardless of the ability that they can actually place orders through Sony because they don’t want to loose a sale. Until Sony takes the 77” A9G off embargo status you really can’t officially order it through them. Once you can the “computer system” will allow you. Next stores will get an “official release date”.

That’s my understanding of the process if I got something incorrect please let me know. 😉

 

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
RadTech51 is offline  
post #60 of 1354 Old 05-18-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
buggs1a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tukwila, WA
Posts: 1,761
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
No Sonys behave like that. If you set the TV to game mode, it will enter the HDR version of game mode for HDR signals and the SDR version for SDR signals. If the A9G is like other recent Sonys, some settings, such as brightness and contrast will be unique for HDR and SDR modes, but most other settings will carry over between the two.
So you’re saying Sony don’t remember anything? Then I guess I should refuse delivery of the tv. Cus I ain’t gonna manually change settings every damn time I play a game. A tv should remember like the LG.
buggs1a is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off