2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 885Likes

post #781 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne123 View Post
Thinking about upgrading my set. Im primarily a gamer so my concerns are motion and burn in. Currently I have the XBR75940C from a bit back and its a great tv, but with the new processors that help with color banding and supposed motion Im really considering the upgrade. Obviously this OLED set is not cheap so I dont want to jump in and be disappointed. I sit between 8 and 10 feet away. OLED tv's are way lighter too than the current TV I own so I can adjust set up some too by doing this. Any info would be fine.

I measured my own input lag on the 940c and never had any issues with input lag or anything like that. Any info on input lag with this set? I dont play competitively online or online much at all to be honest. But I dont want to have lag playing single player and as I said, even not in game mode, my set currently doesnt have any issues.

Thanks for any info
I know this is an A9G thread, and I do love my A9G, but since you are a heavy gamer, you may want to consider the LG C9 since it is more future proof for gamers with 4 HDMI 2.1 ports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 260 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked: 4387
To be honest, I always take Rtings reviews with a Lb. of salt. They have been declaring LG OLEDs as the best OLEDs in the market for a few years already, while others like VE Shootout which is an OPEN to the public event and streamed, declared the Sony OLED as the best TV. Which source do you trust more?
Haiej likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #783 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
To be honest, I always take Rtings reviews with a Lb. of salt. They have been declaring LG OLEDs as the best OLEDs in the market for a few years already, while others like VE Shootout which is an OPEN to the public event and streamed, declared the Sony OLED as the best TV. Which source do you trust more?

I trust Vincent more than any other reviewer. I’ve owned many top tier sets over the recent years and Vincent’s findings are much closer in line to what I am seeing on these sets compared to any other review source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Haiej likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I've always taken their overall review score and assessments with a grain of salt since some of the assessments are subjective, but things like peak brightness, pre-calibration values, and color gamut are objective, measurable values. That is what's concerning to me; I didn't expect the pre-calibration results to be what they claim. And shouldn't the pixel substructure picture be the same across the C9 and A9G since they use the same panel/panel year? When viewing side-by-side using their comparison tool, they look different.
post #785 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrens View Post
I've always taken their overall review score and assessments with a grain of salt since some of the assessments are subjective, but things like peak brightness, pre-calibration values, and color gamut are objective, measurable values. That is what's concerning to me; I didn't expect the pre-calibration results to be what they claim. And shouldn't the pixel substructure picture be the same across the C9 and A9G since they use the same panel/panel year? When viewing side-by-side using their comparison tool, they look different.

Normally I would agree but look at the variance in their numbers between the c8 and e8. Going by that comparison one would think the c8 is much brighter than the e8.
Tony1 likes this.
post #786 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
Did they change something that limited side by side comparisons?
Do you mean side-by-side like the below?

Sony A9F OLED vs Sony A9G OLED
Diesel Pro likes this.
post #787 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 147
This very recent Rtings is a bit of a “kick in the pants” to those that were glowing about the Value Electronics annual rating party ! It does NOT particularly reflect their findings in several categories. Interesting ! I think we need Vincent Teoh to “break the tie.”😀
Diesel Pro and Haiej like this.
post #788 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I personally spent time comparing the LG C9, Sony A9F and A9G Master Series. I completely agree with the VE HDTV shootout results. I think Vincent will as well.
anwsmh likes this.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #789 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4288 Post(s)
Liked: 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
This avery recent Rtings is a bit of a “kick in the pants” to those that were glowing about the Value Electronics annual rating party ! It does NOT particularly reflect their findings in several categories. Interesting ! I think we need Vincent Teoh to “break the tie.”😀
Except for Vincent’s reviews you should consider the rest as a guide. At the TV Shootout we had post production people and other industry professionals who know what they are looking at. I expect Vincent’s reviews to give similar results. This event in particular was very technical and not only did we have stacy’s new disk but we also had the new Murideo 7G test pattern generator to provide an extensive assortment of evaluation and test content. We never had anything like this before.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #790 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Daniel from RTINGS here. We've had a lot of great feedback on our A9 review, so I'd like to clarify a few things here as well as gather suggestions for what we can improve in the future. Feel free to send me a PM (or email us) if you'd like to talk more directly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrens View Post
The lower color gamut numbers as compared to the A9F are surprising, as are the pre-calibration measurements. I never know how much weight to give the Rtings reviews though.
We were surprised by this too! We confirmed the color gamut side-by-side with the A9F, sending the same Rec. 2020 signal via a splitter to both TVs. We don't know why this is, but would love to see other color gamut readings from other sets.
The pre-calbiration is also a bit surprising. We bought the A8G and are testing it now - it has similar pre-calibration results with the same settings. Once a few more people test the A9 it will be interesting to see how much this varies between units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by box4m View Post
kinda funny how A9G got worse score then C9 in Stutter (higher score means its better right ?)
If this is something you care about, then unfortunately the C9 isn't any better! This is the case with all OLED TVs that have almost instantaneous response time. This lack of motion blur results in stutter, especially when watching panning shots of low frame rate content. If you don't mind the soap opera effect, then this can remove the stutter.

Quote:
It really depends what you care about. For gamers, the low input lag and variable refresh rate support of the C9 is great, but if you only watch movies then this doesn't matter at all. In this case, Sonys tend to have the most customization options and their smooth gradation feature works really well to clear up banding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Normally I would agree but look at the variance in their numbers between the c8 and e8. Going by that comparison one would think the c8 is much brighter than the e8.
This is definitely a great point. We don't have the resources to buy and test multiple of each TV, so we really don't know how much variation there is between units. We'll try to make this more clear in the future.

We're always looking for ways to improve our testing, so please do let me know if you've got any questions about this TV or suggestions for how we can improve our tests in the future!
post #791 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It is quite possible with panel lottery that they got an exceptional C9 and a so, so A9G.

After calibration they are both pretty close.
RWetmore likes this.
post #792 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielOKeeffe View Post
Daniel from RTINGS here. We've had a lot of great feedback on our A9 review, so I'd like to clarify a few things here as well as gather suggestions for what we can improve in the future. Feel free to send me a PM (or email us) if you'd like to talk more directly!

We were surprised by this too! We confirmed the color gamut side-by-side with the A9F, sending the same Rec. 2020 signal via a splitter to both TVs. We don't know why this is, but would love to see other color gamut readings from other sets.
The pre-calbiration is also a bit surprising. We bought the A8G and are testing it now - it has similar pre-calibration results with the same settings. Once a few more people test the A9 it will be interesting to see how much this varies between units.

If this is something you care about, then unfortunately the C9 isn't any better! This is the case with all OLED TVs that have almost instantaneous response time. This lack of motion blur results in stutter, especially when watching panning shots of low frame rate content. If you don't mind the soap opera effect, then this can remove the stutter.

It really depends what you care about. For gamers, the low input lag and variable refresh rate support of the C9 is great, but if you only watch movies then this doesn't matter at all. In this case, Sonys tend to have the most customization options and their smooth gradation feature works really well to clear up banding.

This is definitely a great point. We don't have the resources to buy and test multiple of each TV, so we really don't know how much variation there is between units. We'll try to make this more clear in the future.

We're always looking for ways to improve our testing, so please do let me know if you've got any questions about this TV or suggestions for how we can improve our tests in the future!

I’m a c8 and a9g owner but I just don’t see this huge difference in peak brightness that your meters read. Also briefly owned an a8f and that was definitely not as bright as the a9g, at least to my eyes. Can you guys please take a look t the methods you use to test pre-calibration accuracy. If I’m not mistaken either your c6 or c7 measurements for pre-cal accuracy were very low as well. They surely can’t be more inaccurate than a budget tcl. I understand a small discrepancy due to variance but these numbers are just shocking.
Tony1 likes this.
post #793 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I wish there was a way to know what “settings” Netflix Calibrated Mode is using. It would be nice to transfer the settings over to my other sources. Or is there a way?

Thus far, I seem to get better results from a subjective standpoint with Netflix Calibrated than I do using a calibrated Custom with my old iDisplay Pro. But I’m also using an old 2016 Calman software, so who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #794 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6413 Post(s)
Liked: 6406
Quote:
Went to BB today to see the 77A9G in person and OMG, that thing is a beauty. Can't take the picture out of my mind. Been with a projector setup for the last 15 years made me realize that if you want pure blacks, the only way is going with OLED. My projector screen is 92" as I can't do any bigger so going down to 77" is not a huge deal because I sit 8 ft from the screen. Just a few months ago did the whole velvet black out around the screen so my plan is keeping the velvet around the A9G to get the same immersion effect. Now I need to sell my 295ES to get the 77A9G by mid November when prices go down a bit.
He is on the prowl.....

Quote:
Don't need either source, you can use your eye's. Sony is the better unit. I would suspect down the road the price difference between the two would get bigger though. Sony being higher I would suspect. If prices continue to be the same I would hope Sony ups there production lol
post #795 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m a c8 and a9g owner but I just don’t see this huge difference in peak brightness that your meters read. Also briefly owned an a8f and that was definitely not as bright as the a9g, at least to my eyes. Can you guys please take a look t the methods you use to test pre-calibration accuracy. If I’m not mistaken either your c6 or c7 measurements for pre-cal accuracy were very low as well. They surely can’t be more inaccurate than a budget tcl. I understand a small discrepancy due to variance but these numbers are just shocking.
The one reviewed by Rtings was the 55A9G and the one measured on the VE Shootout was the 65A9G. Also yours is the 65A9G so could it be that the 55A9G has a little bit less brightness than the 65 version?

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #796 of 1422 Old 06-14-2019, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Rtings needs do test expert 2...much better than 1.
post #797 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Nope. They declared A9F as the best OLED they've reviewed. You can find the review on their website. I would have liked the shootout more had they made the tvs anonymous.

Sony A9F, LG E9, LG B6 (retired)
post #798 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4288 Post(s)
Liked: 5238
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Nope. They declared A9F as the best OLED they've reviewed. You can find the review on their website. I would have liked the shootout more had they made the tvs anonymous.
It's not possible to make the TVs anonymous because at different times during the event we needed to change picture modes and invoke the steaming apps and the menus would give the TVs identity away. Also even if we covered the labels, it's not hard to pick out the Samsung for example, because of it's anti-reflective coating.
sd13 likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #799 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Which TV is more accurate OOB, an A9G or a five-year-old Hisense? (j/k) Seriously though, Rtings measured TVs like the Q9FN and $700 TCLs as more accurate pre-calibration. That cannot be expected.
sd13 likes this.

Last edited by JD23; 06-15-2019 at 06:48 AM.
post #800 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post

There is very little perceptual picture quality difference between the A9f and a9g so quit trying to justify your A9f. This is according to all the experts except rtings who have very weird skewed numbers. Unless you actually believe those flawed numbers, that even the tcl is more accurate than the a9g. You’re also insinuating that the judges have a bias which is absurd. Quit trying to troll.
post #801 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielOKeeffe View Post

Ok as a gamer etc, I find this interesting. Im honestly not as up on OLED as LED panels. This is the first I've heard about a stuttering effect. That's a deal breaker to me in general and I hate Soap Opera effect. I mean, I currently have a Sony 75940C and Im pretty sure it's not entirely smooth either in panning shots. I dont do the whole smoothing thing. Personally the things Im looking for in a tv is decent input lag and stuff that will remove color banding. Obviously I dont want to be playing games and it looks like its skipping frames due to stuttering but I dont think I've every experienced that on any set.
post #802 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 808
After a game of musical TVs my new 77A9G has landed. I'm expecting pretty similar picture to the 77C9 I first tried. It will be a nice step up from my still excellent 75X940C.
Haiej likes this.

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV
post #803 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
After a game of musical TVs my new 77A9G has landed. I'm expecting pretty similar picture to the 77C9 I first tried. It will be a nice step up from my still excellent 75X940C.
Looking forward to your review. May I ask, why did you return the 77C9?

post #804 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
There is very little perceptual picture quality difference between the A9f and a9g so quit trying to justify your A9f. This is according to all the experts except rtings who have very weird skewed numbers. Unless you actually believe those flawed numbers, that even the tcl is more accurate than the a9g. You’re also insinuating that the judges have a bias which is absurd. Quit trying to troll.

I find it to be nearly impossible that Sony went backwards from the A9F to the A9G in picture quality, especially considering the Rtings review is the one major outlier. I think it is more likely that the panel-to-panel variation is significant and Rtings received a mediocre A9G panel and an average or above average A9F panel. It is interesting that the A9G is being besieged by both C9ers and A9Fers, all trying to justify their purchases.
sd13 likes this.
post #805 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Dumb question but I feel like I'm going crazy, especially since I'm setting up a new receiver as well as the new tv and I'm starting to confuse their menus and how settings apply.

Are the advanced settings for picture https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/gusltn...-03-09_03.html separate per input? And if I change something (like motion) do I need to change it in say Standard AND Cinema?

Thanks!

Sony A9G 65" | Denon avr-x6500h | Oppo UDP-203 | Sonos | 7.1.4 (KEF Q35 fronts, Q9C center, Q10 for surrounds, ci200QR heights, Martin Logan Dynamo 300 sub)
post #806 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I find it to be nearly impossible that Sony went backwards from the A9F to the A9G in picture quality, especially considering the Rtings review is the one major outlier. I think it is more likely that the panel-to-panel variation is significant and Rtings received a mediocre A9G panel and an average or above average A9F panel. It is interesting that the A9G is being besieged by both C9ers and A9Fers, all trying to justify their purchases.

What else is new. They try to justify their horrible remote and laughable giant iPad stand design. The c9ers who are going by what rtings is telling them maybe should’ve went with the c8 which has better rtings numbers outside of the gaming stuff. Justifiers only use the numbers that fit their agenda and dismiss the numbers that aren’t in their favor.
post #807 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is the Belkin Ultra High Speed 4K HDMI Cable that apple sells good for the sony a9g 77 inch ? I am connecting it to a spectrum cable box a ps4 pro & a sony ubpx700 .
post #808 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quick question for 77A9G owners...just got mine. Love it.

On my old Sony, the dolby vision watermark would show up when that was enabled...that doesn't appear to happen on this tv, all appears to be set up properly for Dolbv Vision within Apple TV but no logo appears and when I look at the mode it's HDR.

Is that correct?... or do I have an issue in that I'm not seeing dolby vision?

thx!
post #809 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Clayton View Post

On my old Sony, the dolby vision watermark would show up when that was enabled...that doesn't appear to happen on this tv, all appears to be set up properly for Dolbv Vision within Apple TV but no logo appears and when I look at the mode it's HDR.

thx!
press the display button on your remote when checking for dolby vision .
post #810 of 1422 Old 06-15-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Clayton View Post

thx!

Quickest way to check is to either tap the display button on the remote or tap the settings button and under settings you will see Dolby vision bright, dark etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page