2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2051Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #811 of 4093 Old 06-15-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,834
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by JambaJuice View Post
Is the Belkin Ultra High Speed 4K HDMI Cable that apple sells good for the sony a9g 77 inch ? I am connecting it to a spectrum cable box a ps4 pro & a sony ubpx700 .
Probably. To be safe, make sure the cable has the Certified Premium logo (see link to a very inexpensive Monoprice HDMI cable that works great - no need to pay more).

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427
Spizz, sd13, Haiej and 1 others like this.
BillP is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #812 of 4093 Old 06-15-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Clayton View Post
Thanks guys..worked a treat.


Quickest way to see if you are in hdr10, tap the settings button and see if your light sensor is grayed out.
sd13 is online now  
post #813 of 4093 Old 06-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstasiak View Post
Thanks JD. So just to be clear, if I'm watching Directv in custom SDR mode and switch, say to Apple TV, to watch a movie in HDR or DV, the set will automatically switch to Custom HDR or DV Bright/Dark and then if I go back to watching Directv, it will switch back to Custom SDR mode. I don't need to go in to the menu to turn off HDR or manually switch DV Bright/Dark back to Custom SDR. I think that's what you're saying, but this is an important issue for me, so I want to be sure I'm clear on it before considering the A9G. My significant other, watches a variety of shows in different formats on Directv, AppleTV, Netflix, etc, etc. I don't see her going into the menu set up to do any manual switching between formats. Thanks again for responding. I appreciate it.
So you’re saying Sony don’t remember anything? Then I guess I should refuse delivery of the tv. Cus I ain’t gonna manually change settings every damn time I play a game. A tv should remember like the LG.



I really don't understand your question. Of course it remembers your Game Mode picture settings. However, you specifically asked whether the TV will switch between Game Mode when it detects an HDR signal and another picture mode when it detects an SDR mode, which it will not.
"So when I load a game my tv goes HDR game because it remembers. When I quit the game it goes back to expert dark."
The Sony will stay in Game Mode, not go back to another mode, such as Cinema Pro, upon exiting the game. I don't see this as much of a hindrance.

Okay, so this is where the confusion comes in for me. Based on this previous post, it sounds like manual switching on the Sony between sources is required. My Directv, AppleTv, Tivo, Oppo, XBox all go through my Integra receiver with 1 HDMI going out to HDMI 2 input on my LG C7. My original question was if I'm watching something like Directv (SDR), in say custom mode, and switch to AppleTV to watch either an HDR or DV movie, does the set automatically switch to custom mode (HDR) or DV Dark/Bright mode and if so, does it then switch back to custom mode (SDR) when I go back to Directv. I watch various content, mostly through the WebOS on LG, Apple TV and Oppo and the LG not only notifies you in the upper right corner what mode it's switching to (HDR or DV), but it automatically switches to the calibrated setting you have set up and pre-selected for that mode and it automatically switches back to the calibrated settings for whatever it was you were watching previous. Bottom line, the switching on LG requires you to do nothing as it's all automatic, but it sounds like the Sony requires you to manually select the picture setting when you switch. Can anyone clarify?
mstasiak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #814 of 4093 Old 06-16-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 339
"My Directv, AppleTv, Tivo, Oppo, XBox all go through my Integra receiver with 1 HDMI going out to HDMI 2 input on my LG C7. My original question was if I'm watching something like Directv (SDR), in say custom mode, and switch to AppleTV to watch either an HDR or DV movie, does the set automatically switch to custom mode (HDR) or DV Dark/Bright mode and if so, does it then switch back to custom mode (SDR) when I go back to Directv."


Yes, the A9G will automatically switch between SDR, HDR, and DV modes. The idea that the A9G requires the user to manually switch between SDR, HDR, and DV is a complete misconception. The A9G even has an auto picture mode that will automatically switch to Game Mode when a game console is detected.
Spizz, WOLVERNOLE, BillP and 1 others like this.
JD23 is offline  
post #815 of 4093 Old 06-16-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Here is an a9g video that shows the UI and revamped quick settings menu.

sd13 is online now  
post #816 of 4093 Old 06-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Here is an a9g video that shows the UI and revamped quick settings menu.

https://youtu.be/cJtElk2HdjI
So he thinks the A9G is much better OOTB but after calibration they are equal. A9F has a bit more bass and a worse remote.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
Micolash is offline  
post #817 of 4093 Old 06-16-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
So he thinks the A9G is much better OOTB but after calibration they are equal. A9F has a bit more bass and a worse remote.


Maybe he his a9g was more tuned to his liking ootb. I’ve seen both of them side by side. They’re pretty close. The differences in remote control quality is pretty drastic. The old Sony remotes were straight up trash.
sd13 is online now  
post #818 of 4093 Old 06-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Maybe he his a9g was more tuned to his liking ootb. I’ve seen both of them side by side. They’re pretty close. The differences in remote control quality is pretty drastic. The old Sony remotes were straight up trash.
Yeah, the new remote looks nice. Though I don't have a problem with the old one, it does the job. The new quick menu on the A9G is super nice though.
sd13 likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
Micolash is offline  
post #819 of 4093 Old 06-16-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 25,216
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7019 Post(s)
Liked: 7036
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
This very recent Rtings is a bit of a “kick in the pants” to those that were glowing about the Value Electronics annual rating party ! It does NOT particularly reflect their findings in several categories. Interesting ! I think we need Vincent Teoh to “break the tie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
I personally spent time comparing the LG C9, Sony A9F and A9G Master Series. I completely agree with the VE HDTV shootout results. I think Vincent will as well.
First off there are no losers in the top 4. The winner is a matter of opinion, I do not care what anyone else thinks, my eye's like what they like

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike123abc View Post
It is quite possible with panel lottery that they got an exceptional C9 and a so, so A9G.
There is ALWAYS unit variation, you would have to test 3-5 or each unit to make sure of what you got.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #820 of 4093 Old 06-16-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Yukon Trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yukon, Canada
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I think I'd be too tempted to try and open up the TV and disconnect the always-on microphone.

Yukon Trooper is online now  
post #821 of 4093 Old 06-16-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
First off there are no losers in the top 4. The winner is a matter of opinion, I do not care what anyone else thinks, my eye's like what they like



There is ALWAYS unit variation, you would have to test 3-5 or each unit to make sure of what you got.


Agreed. A panel variance which is barely detectable to the naked eye can cause their precal numbers to go from 8.5 to 7.0. Same thing applies to peak brightness. A well known calibrator I spoke to once got 1000 nits out of one particular c8. This is why I only listen to reviews that apply the human element to their assessments.
sd13 is online now  
post #822 of 4093 Old 06-16-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Yukon Trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yukon, Canada
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The pre-calibration score from Rtings was mostly affected by the gamma. Two clicks on the gamma slider and that score would have been much more comparable.

Also, there's probably more variance in image quality between a calibrated C9 and A9G than there is between two A9Gs OOTB. Graphs and color error measurements definitely don't tell the whole story. There's more color processing going on that can only really be appreciated with the human eye.

Yukon Trooper is online now  
post #823 of 4093 Old 06-16-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
The pre-calibration score from Rtings was mostly affected by the gamma. Two clicks on the gamma slider and that score would have been much more comparable.

Also, there's probably more variance in image quality between a calibrated C9 and A9G than there is between two A9Gs OOTB. Graphs and color error measurements definitely don't tell the whole story. There's more color processing going on that can only really be appreciated with the human eye.


Hmm. Interesting. I noticed the z9f pre calibration score was adjusted due to gamma. Wonder why they didn’t do the same with this one. All I know is, anyone thinking about this set and is worried that there is a picture quality step back from the A9f should not worry at all.
gadgtfreek and Cam1977 like this.
sd13 is online now  
post #824 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 08:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello,

Apologies for this post,but I haven't found a Sony Z9G 8K HDR LED Owner's Thread.

Could anyone point me to it, if it does exist.I thought about creating one, but I am not an expert in calibration, or panel technology (zones,nits,viewing angles,etc.). so I wanted to avoid setting one up and leaving myself wide open for comments and questions that I will not be able to answer.

Basically, I am looking for some guidance on whether I should have my new Sony Z9G 8K HDR calibrated? Also, if having some issues (pop sounds and overall volume problems) between my eARC port which is connected to a SONY ST-5000 soundbar - it supports eARC. I am going to contact SONY support, but I have found myself to be more knowledgeable then the folks trying to answer my questions on previous attempts.

Anyway, thank you in advance for any guidance regarding the location of the correct Z9G 8K Owner's Thread.

Regards,
Ed.
Edgar Reyes is offline  
post #825 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,034
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4074 Post(s)
Liked: 5091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Reyes View Post
Hello,

Apologies for this post,but I haven't found a Sony Z9G 8K HDR LED Owner's Thread.

Could anyone point me to it, if it does exist.I thought about creating one, but I am not an expert in calibration, or panel technology (zones,nits,viewing angles,etc.). so I wanted to avoid setting one up and leaving myself wide open for comments and questions that I will not be able to answer.

Basically, I am looking for some guidance on whether I should have my new Sony Z9G 8K HDR calibrated? Also, if having some issues (pop sounds and overall volume problems) between my eARC port which is connected to a SONY ST-5000 soundbar - it supports eARC. I am going to contact SONY support, but I have found myself to be more knowledgeable then the folks trying to answer my questions on previous attempts.

Anyway, thank you in advance for any guidance regarding the location of the correct Z9G 8K Owner's Thread.

Regards,
Ed.
You are on the OLED section of the forum. The Z9G is located on the LCD section. Here you go!!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...41310-z9g.html
gadgtfreek likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #826 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've run into an issue with the internal smart TV apps. After I first connected my ps4 to the TV, the picture from the smart TV apps have started flickering. I watched Netflix, Amazon, and HBOgo and they all have that issue. It doesn't happen when watching TV through cable box or my UHD bluray player so I don't believe it's an HDMI issue. Any ideas on how to fix it? I posted a short Youtube video where you can see it.

Alex Chen is offline  
post #827 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
dealer6871's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brunswick Hills, Ohio
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Interesting video, but it would have been nice if he would have properly setup the stand on the A9F for a cabinet so one could see haw it really looked instead of the half way job he did for I assume wall mounting.

You can also do a quick picture setting adjustment on any HDMI input, same as the tiles on the A9G except it just a vertical list of options. I own the A9F and the picture was amazing right out of the box. I've had it for three weeks now and have yet to see any banding or color bleeding when watching standard Hd or Ultra 4k content. Both these sets offer a fantastic picture and it all boils down to which style you prefer.
dealer6871 is offline  
post #828 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,034
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4074 Post(s)
Liked: 5091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chen View Post
I've run into an issue with the internal smart TV apps. After I first connected my ps4 to the TV, the picture from the smart TV apps have started flickering. I watched Netflix, Amazon, and HBOgo and they all have that issue. It doesn't happen when watching TV through cable box or my UHD bluray player so I don't believe it's an HDMI issue. Any ideas on how to fix it? I posted a short Youtube video where you can see it.

https://youtu.be/m6RHO_-LL-w
I don't see any flickering in your video. My X930E was flickering but it was pretty obvious to the point that Sony processed my claim and got a check from Sony for the full amount I paid for the X930E. The flickering on my X930E started 6 months after purchase and got fixed for a few weeks after a hard reset recommended by Sony CS but it came back for good. Try a hard reset in your A9G and check if the flickering goes away. If yes, keep an an eye on it as it may come back and you may need to process a claim with Sony CS.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #829 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 10:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I don't see any flickering in your video. My X930E was flickering but it was pretty obvious to the point that Sony processed my claim and got a check from Sony for the full amount I paid for the X930E. The flickering on my X930E started 6 months after purchase and got fixed for a few weeks after a hard reset recommended by Sony CS but it came back for good. Try a hard reset in your A9G and check if the flickering goes away. If yes, keep an an eye on it as it may come back and you may need to process a claim with Sony CS.
It happens about 5 seconds in and then again near the end at about 11 seconds. I call it flickering but there might be a more apt name for it. But thanks I'll try the reset.
Alex Chen is offline  
post #830 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
@enricoclaudio .

Thank you very much for the link.

Regards,
Ed
Edgar Reyes is offline  
post #831 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 10:52 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chen View Post
It happens about 5 seconds in and then again near the end at about 11 seconds. I call it flickering but there might be a more apt name for it. But thanks I'll try the reset.
A reset has fixed the issue. It started happening after I was playing my ps4 on it the first time. I hope this doesn't mean I can't play my ps4 on this TV. Even though it's not 4k, it still looks and sounds amazing compared to playing on my old LED monitor.
enricoclaudio likes this.
Alex Chen is offline  
post #832 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 02:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Apple TV 4k Flashing

Seems every time i watch something thats not hdr on apple tv 4k i see this weird flashing in the background of the screen it seems to be worse with frame rate matching enabled only happens on my 2 sony oleds
Heavymetalhead55 is offline  
post #833 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 PM
Newbie
 
misterpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,
A couple of weeks ago I had finally upgraded my 8 year old 55" tv to the a9g 77", and one night the TV became unresponsive for a couple of minutes. Pressing the settings or the TV buttons did absolutely nothing, but once I hit the power off button the tv shut off immediately. I then powered it on, but it took about 15-20 seconds for it to come back on, and the Android is loading (the four dots) came up. Is this anything to worry about, or did Android just crash, and the tv was unresponsive while restarting?

Since these tv's aren't exactly cheap, would it be wise to get the 5-year square trade extended protection with it? My credit card gives me one year of warranty on top of the Sony warranty, so at this time I should be ok for the first 2 years of ownership.

Thank you,
Paul
misterpaul is offline  
post #834 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,034
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4074 Post(s)
Liked: 5091
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpaul View Post
Hi,
A couple of weeks ago I had finally upgraded my 8 year old 55" tv to the a9g 77", and one night the TV became unresponsive for a couple of minutes. Pressing the settings or the TV buttons did absolutely nothing, but once I hit the power off button the tv shut off immediately. I then powered it on, but it took about 15-20 seconds for it to come back on, and the Android is loading (the four dots) came up. Is this anything to worry about, or did Android just crash, and the tv was unresponsive while restarting?

Since these tv's aren't exactly cheap, would it be wise to get the 5-year square trade extended protection with it? My credit card gives me one year of warranty on top of the Sony warranty, so at this time I should be ok for the first 2 years of ownership.

Thank you,
Paul
That is very common with Android TVs. My X930E did it a few times and my current Z9D did it a couple of times in the last 6 months. Nothing to be worried. I got the 5 years Square Trade warranty from Costco which covers 4 years any TV purchased outside of Costco. The warranty cost $99.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #835 of 4093 Old 06-17-2019, 09:42 PM
Newbie
 
misterpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
That is very common with Android TVs. My X930E did it a few times and my current Z9D did it a couple of times in the last 6 months. Nothing to be worried. I got the 5 years Square Trade warranty from Costco which covers 4 years any TV purchased outside of Costco. The warranty cost $99.
I am very glad to hear that

I purchased mine from ABT, and square trade is about $700 for 5 years, which I suppose isn't too bad if something were to go wrong.
misterpaul is offline  
post #836 of 4093 Old 06-19-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 339
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-type/oled


Rtings leaves the A9G off its "Best of OLED" list and claims the discontinued A9F is superior. They also claim the A9F is a better value, though the two have the same MSRP. LOL.
JD23 is offline  
post #837 of 4093 Old 06-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post
The Sony upscales broadcast tv quite well. I do not see anything to be concerned with. I am using Dish hopper 3 set to highest resolution setting The highest level says 4k,1080p,1080i. Overall, my statement that you quote above applies to broadcast too, but to a lesser degree than what you see with playing a UHD disc or even a Blu-Ray being upscaled to 4k. I’m very impressed with BR to 4K UHD upscaling btw. Overall I’m very happy with the Sony’s performance with it’s upscaling abilities with all sources. I fully expect performance to be even better once fully calibrated. Having said all that, there’s something about that Kuro picture quality too. If it weren’t for the higher resolution and the higher light output of these Oleds, I would happily keep my Kuro Elite for my primary viewing.
I have noticed the same things you have noticed comparing your pioneer plasma to the OLED. The depth and gradation of grey tones will never be matched on an oled. Also, network broadcasts and motion in most sports as well. I hate watching golf on the oled and watching the golf ball on the putting green studder across the green. Never looked like that on My plasamas and I still have 2. I will not be curbing them any time soon. still not sure if I will keep the OLED. I was watching Meet Joe Black yesterday and the blacks were atrociously crushed. Never saw that on my Pioneer Kuro ever. With the OLED, I also find myself making adjustments for everything I watch, its that touchy.
hifi59, GregF2 and Haiej like this.

Last edited by tzh21y; 06-19-2019 at 08:03 AM.
tzh21y is offline  
post #838 of 4093 Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,756
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4727 Post(s)
Liked: 5717
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-type/oled


Rtings leaves the A9G off its "Best of OLED" list and claims the discontinued A9F is superior. They also claim the A9F is a better value, though the two have the same MSRP. LOL.
Which is why you need to use these reviews as a guide.

People need to realize that although rtings and other reviewers do a good job, they are only looking at one sample and have to make judgement calls based on their experience and what they see. At the VE TV Shootout and Vincent Teoh's UK Shootout you have many of the top calibrators, post production, colorists and top professionals in the industry evaluating at the event. No one reviewer can muster that kind of talent to evaluate these new TVs every model year. That said, although the new models are not compared with the older models at these shootouts, the results speak for themselves that "for the most part," these sets continue to evolve getting better and better every model year.
BillP, sd13 and Haiej like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LS Pro, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is offline  
post #839 of 4093 Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,840
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-type/oled


Rtings leaves the A9G off its "Best of OLED" list and claims the discontinued A9F is superior. They also claim the A9F is a better value, though the two have the same MSRP. LOL.


That right there proves they are all over the place and their reviews include zero application of the human element, and rely solely on computer and meter readings.
sd13 is online now  
post #840 of 4093 Old 06-19-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 17,099
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Which is why you need to use these reviews as a guide.

People need to realize that although rtings and other reviewers do a good job, they are only looking at one sample and have to make judgement calls based on their experience and what they see. At the VE TV Shootout and Vincent Teoh's UK Shootout you have many of the top calibrators, post production, colorists and top professionals in the industry evaluating at the event. No one reviewer can muster that kind of talent to evaluate these new TVs every model year. That said, although the new models are not compared with the older models at these shootouts, the results speak for themselves that "for the most part," these sets continue to evolve getting better and better every model year.
Both shootouts use single samples too, correct? I will assume VE has not devolved into cherry picking samples for the shootout so, all results and judgements, if you choose to call them that, are based on one sole sample.... regardless of venue, correcta’

rtings used a 55” sample for their review and I’m not sure what peak luminance setting they used for HDR measurements. One can expect different results with the 65 and 77” models.
Keenan and sd13 like this.
D-Nice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off