2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 864Likes

post #61 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
So you’re saying Sony don’t remember anything? Then I guess I should refuse delivery of the tv. Cus I ain’t gonna manually change settings every damn time I play a game. A tv should remember like the LG.
It remembers your previous settings just like LG does.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
So you’re saying Sony don’t remember anything? Then I guess I should refuse delivery of the tv. Cus I ain’t gonna manually change settings every damn time I play a game. A tv should remember like the LG.

I really don't understand your question. Of course it remembers your Game Mode picture settings. However, you specifically asked whether the TV will switch between Game Mode when it detects an HDR signal and another picture mode when it detects an SDR mode, which it will not.

"So when I load a game my tv goes HDR game because it remembers. When I quit the game it goes back to expert dark."

The Sony will stay in Game Mode, not go back to another mode, such as Cinema Pro, upon exiting the game. I don't see this as much of a hindrance.

Last edited by JD23; 05-18-2019 at 08:45 AM.
post #63 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I really don't understand your question. Of course it remembers your Game Mode picture settings. However, you specifically asked whether the TV will switch between Game Mode when it detects an HDR signal and another picture mode when it detects an SDR mode, which it will not.

"So when I load a game my tv goes HDR game because it remembers. When I quit the game it goes back to expert dark."

The Sony will stay in Game Mode, not go back to another mode, such as Cinema Pro, upon exiting the game.
That's weird. A9F remembers the mode based on the apps and hardware that I choose, though I never tried the game mode.

Sony A9F, LG E9, LG B6 (retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by legends92 View Post
I’m not sure if previous Sonys have this, but the A9G speakers can connect to a AV receiver to make it a center channel. I wonder how good the quality is. It is designed to emanate from the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was present on the a9f, the acoustic surface audio+ this time on the a9g is watered down, one less actuator and total power output 60w. For a real audiophile, you want tonal and power matching from your front soundstage (LCR). I use a B&W 802 D3 pair for fronts that use diamond tweeters, it would be complete tonal mistmatching if i use the a9g/a9f as center channel (as well as power mismatching, a 60w center would sound very thin compared to the much more powerful B&W floorstanders). If you are more casual about audio and not critical about having a uniform front soundstage , you can use the center channel mode, it should still sound okay.
At the end of the day, center channel mode is a novelty feature, not a necessity and nobody should decide upon a sony oled based upon it.
legends92 and kinglm like this.
post #65 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
It was present on the a9f, the acoustic surface audio+ this time on the a9g is watered down, one less actuator and total power output 60w. For a real audiophile, you want tonal and power matching from your front soundstage (LCR). I use a B&W 802 D3 pair for fronts that use diamond tweeters, it would be complete tonal mistmatching if i use the a9g/a9f as center channel (as well as power mismatching, a 60w center would sound very thin compared to the much more powerful B&W floorstanders). If you are more casual about audio and not critical about having a uniform front soundstage , you can use the center channel mode, it should still sound okay.

At the end of the day, center channel mode is a novelty feature, not a necessity and nobody should decide upon a sony oled based upon it.

I currently use a Martin Logan center speaker. Wasn’t sure how it matched up.

post #66 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
That's weird. A9F remembers the mode based on the apps and hardware that I choose, though I never tried the game mode.

Don't think that is what the previous poster is asking. For example, if you have a PS4 connected to HDMI 2, will the TV will automatically switch to Game Mode for HDR signals on this input and another mode for SDR signals on this input? I have not seen such behavior on any Sony. Selection or deselection of Game Mode on all inputs is completely manual.
post #67 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Just curious are the 2019 Sony's brighter then the 2018 models or are they exactly the same?
post #68 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

The Sony will stay in Game Mode, not go back to another mode, such as Cinema Pro, upon exiting the game. I don't see this as much of a hindrance.
You must not game then. You must not care if you have to manually change from game mode back and forth back and forth every single time.
post #69 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You must not game then. You must not care if you have to manually change from game mode back and forth back and forth every single time.

I do, but apparently not enough to think that three button presses is a major hardship. Also, I rarely use my PS4 for anything but gaming, so why would I need to deselect Game Mode? Are you planning to cancel your A9G order?
post #70 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Quote:

Put your console on a separate hdmi input. Problem solved. Use EARC back to your AVR.
post #71 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Quote:
No Sonys behave like that. If you set the TV to game mode, it will enter the HDR version of game mode for HDR signals and the SDR version for SDR signals. If the A9G is like other recent Sonys, some settings, such as brightness and contrast will be unique for HDR and SDR modes, but most other settings will carry over between the two.
You almost sound mad that Sony is not perfect. Samsung Q90R is built for gamers and will be better for gaming than any OLED currently available. Nobody is forcing you to pay more for the A9G when you care more about the gaming experience than movies.
post #72 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
You almost sound mad that Sony is not perfect. Samsung Q90R is built for gamers and will be better for gaming than any OLED currently available. Nobody is forcing you to pay more for the A9G when you care more about the gaming experience than movies.
Scamsung Q90R is not an option for people whose eyes are used to oled black levels in a dim to dark room i.e. most people in this oled subsection of the forum. Good job on the scamsung ballyhooing though.
post #73 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Scamsung Q90R is not an option for people whose eyes are used to oled black levels in a dim to dark room i.e. most people in this oled subsection of the forum. Good job on the scamsung ballyhooing though.

He is correct that something other than the A9G is a better choice if gaming features are one's top priority.
post #74 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

C9 is a better choice than the a9g if gaming is your priority over movies/tv shows. for people who are not into gaming or do just retro/casual gaming, imo a9g would be better.
I dont think the guy he was responding to even asked about a lcd recommedation.
post #75 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 155
A9G is fine for any kind of gaming. Since when did 27 ms lag become a deal breaker? If you already can't notice lag then lowering the numbers isn't going to make any difference.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #76 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
A9G is fine for any kind of gaming. Since when did 27 ms lag become a deal breaker? If you already can't notice lag then lowering the numbers isn't going to make any difference.
I think the OP’s issue is the absence of auto game mode switching presets like on the LG
post #77 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
Well considering the OP was upset enough to refuse delivery for what I consider a minor inconvenience, I would assume he’s would be more annoyed by constantly rotating his games to avoid burn-in, which led me to the only option left: QLED
post #78 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Duh there goes the 'burn in' card, on present day oleds (2018 or 2019), burn in is the last thing to be worried about, lots of people have been using oled as a gaming tv. Only place where a lcd would come in is if you game in a very bright room with sunlight falling in. Again the guy you responded did not ask any recommendation, or showed interest, for a lcd.
post #79 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 331
I called my local Best Buy in Phoenix. They said they aren’t expecting any A9Gs till the end of the month.

Looks like BH Photo and Video has theirs listed on Amazon, but I don’t do third parties. Amazon stock always arrives late, so I doubt we’ll be seeing a lot of owners for at least another week or two.

post #80 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Value Electronics has A9G's in stock. I just bought a 65" on Friday! Just have to wait for the break-in and calibration. Should be shipped to me in about 10 days.
post #81 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do, but apparently not enough to think that three button presses is a major hardship. Also, I rarely use my PS4 for anything but gaming, so why would I need to deselect Game Mode? Are you planning to cancel your A9G order?
To everyone.

I’m not referring to ALLM. My E6 don’t have ALLM.

I have everything hooked to my Anthem MRX720. I game a lot. I watch tv a lot. I watch Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime all on my Xbox One X.

When I load an HDR game my E6 goes into HDR. I changed it to HDR Game. This was the first time after getting my tv long ago. When I close the game the tv goes back to Expert Dark since there’s no HDR. Next time I load an HDR game it loads HDR again of course. And it remembers the last time was game mode. It does this every time. When I quit the game it goes back to Expert Dark.

This is what I mean when I say it remembers. This is not ALLM.

If the Sony doesn’t remember like this then that’s really bad to me. I have a huge issue manually changing every single time I play and stop playing a game.

I can’t use VRR or ALLM. My Anthem doesn’t support it and it don’t work anyway on my C9. It didn’t switch out of game mode after I closed a game. My Xbox was connected to tv all settings good.

I won’t use ARC. I lose the Anthem UI. So
ARC is out.

I have no idea how to change picture modes on the A9G once I get it. Hopefully next week.

Naa. I’m not going to cancel my tv order. I need to test it first. I have a real mental disorder. I have a bad Anxiety disorder and major. And I have OCD bad too. So I’m concerned about having to manually change picture modes all the time.

Last edited by buggs1a; 05-18-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #82 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
C9 is a better choice than the a9g if gaming is your priority over movies/tv shows. for people who are not into gaming or do just retro/casual gaming, imo a9g would be better.
I dont think the guy he was responding to even asked about a lcd recommedation.
Yes those who are serious about gaming the C9 is a better choice. Rtings updated their review of the C9 and gave it a 9.1 for HDR gaming (13ms) best in class.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #83 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Correct me if I’m wrong, but LG has a feature to dim logos (just the logos) over time to reduce BI risk and Sony doesn’t have this feature, correct?

post #84 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I load an HDR game my E6 goes into HDR. I changed it to HDR Game. This was the first time after getting my tv long ago. When I close the game the tv goes back to Expert Dark since there’s no HDR. Next time I load an HDR game it loads HDR again of course. And it remembers the last time was game mode. It does this every time. When I quit the game it goes back to Expert Dark.

This is clearer, but don't you have to change from Game Mode to Expert Dark whenever you watch HDR programming through a streaming app on Xbox? I don't believe any Sony TVs behave like your LG, so you may be disappointed.
post #85 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong, but LG has a feature to dim logos (just the logos) over time to reduce BI risk and Sony doesn’t have this feature, correct?

Correct. But I see no difference in it on the LG.
post #86 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is clearer, but don't you have to change from Game Mode to Expert Dark whenever you watch HDR programming through a streaming app on Xbox? I don't believe any Sony TVs behave like your LG, so you may be disappointed.
Yes. You do have to change to the movie settings if you want that. I don’t though. I don’t notice anything bad about Netflix and prime and Hulu. I would though for a Blu Ray but not streaming. I don’t have 4K netflix or anything. I just watch old shows. Farscape on prime. The original black and white The Beverly Hillbillies. Hilarious. So I am not getting a great picture with those. For serious watching I will change to movie mode.

I’m sure I’ll be disappointed in the Sony not remembering but I haven't got the tv yet so we’ll see. I’m excited to get the tv though. I hope users here could help me with settings. Making it as easy to use as possible to help me really like the tv.

Last edited by buggs1a; 05-18-2019 at 07:24 PM.
post #87 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OooAhh View Post
The A9G are out there, however, it appears that video geeks that use microscope to critique and have the time to dwell on every web comment are still waiting.
We received our 55" A9G from ABT yesterday. This set replaced bedroom TV (dark - nighttime viewing). Initial settings adjustments were quick to match/improvement over calibrated Sharp Aquos that was 5 times the $ when new. Super improvements with 1080 from cable converter, unbelievable sound without any visible speakers, 4K demo files from thumb drive are fabulous. I have not seen anything as good in BestBuy demo rooms.
Sounds very encouraging !
post #88 of 1360 Old 05-18-2019, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Duh there goes the 'burn in' card, on present day oleds (2018 or 2019), burn in is the last thing to be worried about, lots of people have been using oled as a gaming tv. Only place where a lcd would come in is if you game in a very bright room with sunlight falling in. Again the guy you responded did not ask any recommendation, or showed interest, for a lcd.

As a side note: what has changed in 2018 or 2019 in regards to burn in? I have an LG E6 from 2016 I think and it has quite obvious burn-in in a couple of places. I almost didn't go the OLED route this time around because of this, because it was a disturbing to see after I've literally babied the set for 3 years and coming from a plasma knew everything to avoid. Ended up ordering the A9G, but it was a close thing.
post #89 of 1360 Old 05-19-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My 65-inch A9G was delivered by Abt on Friday. I wall mounted it using Sony’s SU-WL855 wall mount. Here are my first impressions:

- Coming from a high-end Panasonic ZT60 Plasma, I was curious how much of a leap in image quality the A9G would be. Overall, I’m blown away by the vibrancy of this display. I’ve watched a few movies from iTunes in 4K HDR and I’ve been astonished by the clarity and brightness.

- For video settings, I’m currently using Dolby Vision Dark with motion smoothing turned off. I may consider going the professional calibration route at some point, but for now I’m fairly happy with the results.

- I can’t comment much on the sound since I’ve mostly used my own speakers but in my limited testing they sounded pretty good for TV speakers.

- Android OS has so far been pleasant to work with and the settings are well-organized. A major improvement over the UI of the ZT60 for sure.

- The Sony wall mount works well with the front of the TV approximately 60mm from the wall. As advertised, the magnetic lock keeps the TV vertically upright with no forward lean.

I have noticed one potential issue with my unit: There appears to be a slight bend in the lower right corner of the display. I’ve attached a photo next to a level to show the bend. I don’t know if this is a common occurrence with OLEDs; some Googling came up with a few posts of people mentioning bending or warping in mostly LG OLEDs. I’m considering doing an exchange but would welcome other feedback. Other than this issue, I haven’t found any problems with the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2568764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	2568766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	2568768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	2568770  
Spizz, WOLVERNOLE, seanos and 4 others like this.
post #90 of 1360 Old 05-19-2019, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Is it just me, or the saturation level with shades like greens and blues feels slightly better on the sony a9 (a9g/a9f) compared to a lg c9? I was watching a video on another board of a guy running our planet on his c9 and while it looks great with very good highlight punch, if you specifically look at the greens and blues on the lg and compare it to the first couple of shots the above guy posted on the sony a9g, i get the impression these shades look slightly deeper on sony, or in other words, the color punch without giving the look that colors are oversaturated is slightly better on sony (possibly due to the color volume/pixel contrast booster?). Is it just a placebo im seeing or does a bit of difference actually exist, which others can make out as well?

I eagerly look forward to vincent's side by side comparison of a c9 vs a9g.

Last edited by Menarini; 05-19-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page