2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 587Likes

post #91 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolk View Post
My 65-inch A9G was delivered by Abt on Friday. I wall mounted it using Sony’s SU-WL855 wall mount. Here are my first impressions:

- Coming from a high-end Panasonic ZT60 Plasma, I was curious how much of a leap in image quality the A9G would be. Overall, I’m blown away by the vibrancy of this display. I’ve watched a few movies from iTunes in 4K HDR and I’ve been astonished by the clarity and brightness.

- For video settings, I’m currently using Dolby Vision Dark with motion smoothing turned off. I may consider going the professional calibration route at some point, but for now I’m fairly happy with the results.

- I can’t comment much on the sound since I’ve mostly used my own speakers but in my limited testing they sounded pretty good for TV speakers.

- Android OS has so far been pleasant to work with and the settings are well-organized. A major improvement over the UI of the ZT60 for sure.

- The Sony wall mount works well with the front of the TV approximately 60mm from the wall. As advertised, the magnetic lock keeps the TV vertically upright with no forward lean.

I have noticed one potential issue with my unit: There appears to be a slight bend in the lower right corner of the display. I’ve attached a photo next to a level to show the bend. I don’t know if this is a common occurrence with OLEDs; some Googling came up with a few posts of people mentioning bending or warping in mostly LG OLEDs. I’m considering doing an exchange but would welcome other feedback. Other than this issue, I haven’t found any problems with the panel.
Imo sometimes the screens are curved but not bent just from thinness. To me that’s probably bent and not supposed to be like that.

Any comments on 100% tint or 5% banding?

I see your room is fairly bright with all those reflections in the pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Imo sometimes the screens are curved but not bent just from thinness. To me that’s probably bent and not supposed to be like that.

You shouldn't judge uniformity until you have played a lot of content and have let multiple refresh cycles complete (i would personally not do that before 100 hours). He did not mention about banding or tinting in actual content, so maybe he did not spot any of those. You said 5% or 100%, so you meant grayscale slides, not a good idea to just go looking for problems right away.
post #93 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 150
2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread

Quote:
My 65-inch A9G was delivered by Abt on Friday. I wall mounted it using Sony’s SU-WL855 wall mount. Here are my first impressions:

- Coming from a high-end Panasonic ZT60 Plasma, I was curious how much of a leap in image quality the A9G would be. Overall, I’m blown away by the vibrancy of this display. I’ve watched a few movies from iTunes in 4K HDR and I’ve been astonished by the clarity and brightness.

- For video settings, I’m currently using Dolby Vision Dark with motion smoothing turned off. I may consider going the professional calibration route at some point, but for now I’m fairly happy with the results.

- I can’t comment much on the sound since I’ve mostly used my own speakers but in my limited testing they sounded pretty good for TV speakers.

- Android OS has so far been pleasant to work with and the settings are well-organized. A major improvement over the UI of the ZT60 for sure.

- The Sony wall mount works well with the front of the TV approximately 60mm from the wall. As advertised, the magnetic lock keeps the TV vertically upright with no forward lean.

I have noticed one potential issue with my unit: There appears to be a slight bend in the lower right corner of the display. I’ve attached a photo next to a level to show the bend. I don’t know if this is a common occurrence with OLEDs; some Googling came up with a few posts of people mentioning bending or warping in mostly LG OLEDs. I’m considering doing an exchange but would welcome other feedback. Other than this issue, I haven’t found any problems with the panel.

Wow with that wall mount it almost looks as flush as the LG wallpaper. Very nice look.

How does the motion compare to your zt60?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spizz and WOLVERNOLE like this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6

Last edited by Micolash; 05-19-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

First, congratulations on your 65” A9G Master Series OLED! Please put up a 5% Grey window if you can to comment on it’s screen uniformity. Vertical banding plagued my A1E and I’m hoping when I get my 75” A9G that will be a thing of the past.

Now to answer your question regarding the slight bend in the lower right of your screen. I certainly would not be concerned by it unless you feel it’s somehow disturbing your viewing experience or creating some kind of noticeable screen artifact. Start viewing content and let us know what you think. And again congratulations!

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #95 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 02:11 PM

Not that i advocate ocd habits of go looking at grayscale slides so soon when he got the tv a couple of days back and is finding no issues on actual content, even if he did run the slides and tell you he has no tint and only minor banding, that's no assurance that the panel you, me or others get would be exactly like his, some others could as well get a worse one. Panel lottery is real and exists regardless of brand.

And for the bent panel, we would need more users to share pictures of their a9g to see if this is normal or if it's his that looks like that. i remember the a8f when looking from sides did not look perfectly straight.

Last edited by Menarini; 05-19-2019 at 02:18 PM.
post #96 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Not that i advocate ocd habits of go looking at grayscale slides so soon when he got the tv a couple of days back and is finding no issues on actual content, even if he did run the slides and tell you he has no tint and only minor banding, that's no assurance that the panel you, me or others get would be exactly like his, some others could as well get a worse one. Panel lottery is real and exists regardless of brand.

And for the bent panel, we would need more users to share pictures of their a9g to see if this is normal or if it's his that looks like that. i remember the a8f when looking from sides did not look perfectly straight.
Of course you’re right in pointing out the screen uniformity lotto. However I’m still hoping that these newer OLED panels are much better than the A1e’s were. The more confirmation we get on good screen uniformity here the better. I’m still traumatized over getting two bad 77” A1e’s so I’m just looking for a good sign here. With that said I just can’t see how this A9G could be any worse than my A1e was.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #97 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5823
Lets not forget there is a panel uniformity thread for sharing images.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP502S / FV15HP
post #98 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:

That is definitely physical damage. Call ABT immediately to report this.

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X
post #99 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2025 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post

You shouldn't judge uniformity until you have played a lot of content and have let multiple refresh cycles complete (i would personally not do that before 100 hours). He did not mention about banding or tinting in actual content, so maybe he did not spot any of those. You said 5% or 100%, so you meant grayscale slides, not a good idea to just go looking for problems right away.
100% white for tint will show and NEVER change, so no reason to wait on hours for the set. Unless you just don’t want to know if you have any 😉

Sure, 5% only gets better. I’m just curious if these Sony’s end up cleaner than the LGs currently with their red tint.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #100 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

It's gonna suck if they're all coming from the factory that way!
post #101 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Question Congrats! ? about how broadcast (1080i) compares to ZT60 Plasma ?

Quote:

Congratulations on the new purchase ! Looks FANTASTIC, including the great wall mount. As a fellow Panasonic plasma owner, I appreciate that you moved to OLED from a wonderful ZT60 model. What has kept me on the sidelines for a couple of years is (besides the great plasma look) that I have not liked how 4K TVs have handled broadcast material (1080i). They seem to look a little funky in the up conversion, and this has been confirmed by MANY 4K owners, incl. some OLED owners. Admittedly, SONY has the BEST up conversion "in the business." I have just not been convinced that (about 70% of our viewing) the bulk of what we watch (incl. 1080i football) would not have that slightly "softish" look, compared to my old trusty Panasonic VT plasma.
I would truly appreciate your specific comment of comparison of the ZT60 plasma versus the SONY A9G regarding 1080i viewing. Thanks so much, and again congrats, and good luck with that issue of bending on that unit.
Spizz, seanos and JNMNL52 like this.
post #102 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My 2 cents, as a fifth time OLED owner, if the bend is not showing damage, is not easily noticed, and you have a nice working OLED with good screen uniformity, I'd keep it...
fatuglyguy, RadTech51 and jrref like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
post #103 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
"Congratulations on the new purchase ! Looks FANTASTIC, including the great wall mount."

Kinda stinks I bought a Sanus VLF320 mount and have it waiting for the new TV and then Sony decides to release a new swivel mount. Hope they are comparable.
post #104 of 946 Old 05-19-2019, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
<snip>
Thanks for the detailed info!
I’ve just moved country and am in the pleasant situation of having an excuse to buy a whole new setup; I was planning the C9, but seeing as the Sony just came out and reviews of previous generation looked pretty damn good - ended up ordering the A9G today. My previous set was also the ZT60, so pretty curious to see the differences and hopefully few disappointments.

Not to flog a dead horse; but the game mode thing seems a bit odd to me. On the ZT60, I had everything connected via AV Receiver, and the TV would detect game content and automatically enable Game Mode. That’s a 5-6 year old set; seems odd newer sets cannot do a similar thing (Well other than ATTL or whatever which seems few or far between). Bit of a step backwards.

It seems differences between A9F/G are minimal? Different stand (does the A9G sit more upright on its own stand?) and remote; whereas everything else looks the same?
Sounds like possibly some minor improvements to A9G, but no reason they couldn’t be backported as same processor + panel as previous model?
Seems like weird approach by Sony *shrug*

That said; looking forward to taking delivery of this and putting it through its paces + looking forward to hearing feedback from others before mine arrives.
post #105 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanos View Post
It seems differences between A9F/G are minimal? Different stand (does the A9G sit more upright on its own stand?) and remote; whereas everything else looks the same?
Sounds like possibly some minor improvements to A9G, but no reason they couldn’t be backported as same processor + panel as previous model?
Seems like weird approach by Sony *shrug*
According to one of the calibrators who frequents here, PQ on the A9G is noticeably sharper than the LG C9 (and presumably sharper than the A9F), probably due to the Pixel Contrast Booster.
RadTech51 and jrref like this.
post #106 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
According to one of the calibrators who frequents here, PQ on the A9G is noticeably sharper than the LG C9 (and presumably sharper than the A9F), probably due to the Pixel Contrast Booster.
So if the 2019 LG panel used by the A9G is the same as the A9F with the only upgrade being additional processing (Pixel Contrast Booster) by the X1 Ultimate, it's too bad Sony can't firmware update the A9F to benefit from this additional processing (obviously it's not going to cannibalize itself). Maybe it requires more on-board memory that's not available on the A9F (just grasping at straws here).
seanos likes this.
post #107 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
So if the 2019 LG panel used by the A9G is the same as the A9F with the only upgrade being additional processing (Pixel Contrast Booster) by the X1 Ultimate, it's too bad Sony can't firmware update the A9F to benefit from this additional processing (obviously it's not going to cannibalize itself). Maybe it requires more on-board memory that's not available on the A9F (just grasping at straws here).
A9F also uses pixel contrast booster. Nobody has compared an A9G to an A9F calibrated side by side yet. I personally doubt there will be any real difference. It's the A1E/A8F situation.
helvetica bold, seanos and kinglm like this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #108 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
A9F also uses pixel contrast booster. Nobody has compared an A9G to an A9F calibrated side by side yet. I personally doubt there will be any real difference. It's the A1E/A8F situation.
I'm also not expecting any real difference between the a9g and a9f in terms of picture, and im still eyeing the a9f, but now that jreff has said that he finds the a9g to be noticeably sharper than lg c9 and he also said previously the c9 looked almost as good as the a9f, we need to wait for more evidence to know for sure whether there are some subtle improvements on the a9g over the a9f or not.
jrref likes this.
post #109 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I'm also not expecting any real difference between the a9g and a9f in terms of picture, and im still eyeing the a9f, but now that jreff has said that he finds the a9g to be noticeably sharper than lg c9 and he also said previously the c9 looked almost as good as the a9f, we need to wait for more evidence to know for sure whether there are some subtle improvements on the a9g over the a9f or not.
If it wasn't for my "need" to buy the 77 inch size, I would get the A9F - I'm not a sharp-eyed calibrator nor do I have OCD vision where every pixel artifact drive me nuts, but I do enjoy the vivid real life colors of the Sony OLEDs. I was actually in the market for the C9, until i discovered that the A9G 77" was being released in the next few weeks, so here I am... waiting.
post #110 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
If it wasn't for my "need" to buy the 77 inch size, I would get the A9F - I'm not a sharp-eyed calibrator nor do I have OCD vision where every pixel artifact drive me nuts, but I do enjoy the vivid real life colors of the Sony OLEDs. I was actually in the market for the C9, until i discovered that the A9G 77" was being released in the next few weeks, so here I am... waiting.
I think if one has the time or situation where they can wait for the A9G I think it’s a very good choice. I’m like you I have to wait for the A9G because I want the 77’’

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
post #111 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 01:01 PM

Sorry, but considering the a9g and a9f are the same price, I don't understand why anyone would now go for the older a9f? Especially given at least incremental PQ improvements with the new model. I guess I am more likely to believe calibrators who have actually worked on the a9g, rather than speculations from people who have not yet seen it.
post #112 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but considering the a9g and a9f are the same price, I don't understand why anyone would now go for the older a9f? Especially given at least incremental PQ improvements with the new model. I guess I am more likely to believe calibrators who have actually worked on the a9g, rather than speculations from people who have not yet seen it.
Price is not the same, if you hunt around for deals, you can currently find the a9f a little cheaper than the a9g. If there are picture refinements, then i would forgo the f, but if not i think the a9f has a more high end build quality for someone like me who doesnt mount tv's and would have it on a stand.
tortoise and kinglm like this.
post #113 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

Yes, I am definitely waiting until all information is available, but I can imagine that if I were already an A9F owner I would want to believe there will be no differences in PQ between the two.
post #114 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
My bad, is it the same price? Hell, then it's a no-brainer to go with the newer model. Without checking I just assumed last year's models always go on discount when the new model is available.
post #115 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Yes, I am definitely waiting until all information is available, but I can imagine that if I were already an A9F owner I would want to believe there will be no differences in PQ between the two.
If by all information you mean the popular review sites like rtings and hdtvtest, i do not see any review in may. Probably would have to wait till early june for a rtings review. And in the uk, it seems the a9g is not available right now, it can be ordered but the delivery is scheduled for first week of june. So because of that hdtvtest/vincent publishing a review wont happen before mid june. When he was asked on youtube couple of days ago about the a9g review, he said two or three weeks after launch, no ETA yet.
post #116 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Abt Electronics just released a new video review on the A9G

seanos likes this.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
post #117 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ABT Review

ABT review is up on YouTube
post #118 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 02:52 PM

I am not suggesting that one trade in an A9F for an A9G. But for someone (like me) buying their first OLED, IMO the A9G is the better choice. And the ABT review says exactly that - no need to trade the F for the G, but one should seriously consider the A9G if one doesn't already have the A9F.
Prices may vary, but in the US, the 65" A9F and A9G list at exactly the same price. And if you hunt around, you can find deals on the A9G. For me, it was a no-brainer.
JambaJuice likes this.
post #119 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I totally agree with you. Even when searching around authorized retailers the A9F and A9G are so closely prices when discounted. A9G is a no brainer then.

Quote:
post #120 of 946 Old 05-20-2019, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Added the new Abt video to first post.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement