2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 843Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1201 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 12:15 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just mounted my 65A9G and initial impressions are positive, unlike the majority I like the Android OS as I coming from using a Nvidia Shield with my prior TV(55HX929).

The only thing I haven't figured out is how in the heck do you program the remote to control a device? I tried to look in the built in help section with no luck, the only Sony support says no info when you navigate to the configure remote section. Is this remote not configurable to control a device(soundbar) via IR?

I was hoping to just use the built in sound and eliminating my Martin Logan Soundbar, but the sound from the TV sounds tiny to me.
mugenacura is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1202 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I left peak luminance at medium, with a brightness of 17. This produces about 110 nits, which is my preferred brightness for a dark room. It was very confusing at first, because I turned it off and didn’t understand why I had to crank my brightness so high. But yeah, I think just a straight OLED light would have been easier for most people. Especially those without a meter.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, sony could have made it simpler for setting peak brightness for SDR viewing by having an oled light setting. Instead, sony resorts to brightness + peak luminance.
>When peak luminance is set to either low, medium or high , then the peak luminance setting in combination with your brightness setting defines the nits output. If you had a meter, you could measure the nits that your combo setting provides.
>When peak luminance is set to off, the brightness setting has no impact (whether brightness is set to 20 or all the way up to 50, it does not matter). Since with peak luminance set to off, the tv has a constant nits output. According to rtings, it is ~140 nits, according to other sites, it is around 100-120 nits.
I use peak luminance off for SDR, in a dark room it feels enough. It provides a constant light output with no fluctuations, has the least ABL and makes the colors look punchier to my eyes.

But i would have preferred having just an oled light setting. Besides, there is no sony documentation available on the web or in the barebones manual that comes with the tv, that details it out how to set the peak brightness and how the brightness+peak luminance combo has an impact on the nits. To people new to sony oleds, it can be a bit confusing.
Menarini is online now  
post #1203 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,133
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5917
Most people are going to turn it on and watch it, they couldn't care less about the stuff many of us do.

People here know to read older threads to see how everything works. Ive known SDR Gamma -2 and HDR Gamma -0 from older threads, and this being my third. Do some research.

People here know calibrators will often post settings recommendations, or explain functions on new models, once they are out.

Do not adjust settings that you don't understand, especially on a Sony. They are set up well from the get-go.

By a meter or hire a pro, you bought a flagship, have it calibrated.
Keenan, smurraybhm and jrref like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1204 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 372
^You have to adjust the peak brightness yourself, it is not set up 'well' from the get go, there is no one size fits all for sdr peak brightness because peak brightness is set according to your room lighting conditions and how much brightness/nits target you crave in your room lighting conditions. People would have their own preference in this regard. In the default settings in custom mode with sdr content, i remember the brightness was set to max. and peak luminance to medium, i found that too bright in the pitch black room i watch, for someone watching in a brighter room that peak brightness could work. And calibration is a good idea, but even after a grayscale and cms calibration, you can use your own sdr peak brightness setting based on your preference and the calibration won't be affected.
Menarini is online now  
post #1205 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,133
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
^You have to adjust the peak brightness yourself, it is not set up 'well' from the get go, there is no one size fits all for sdr peak brightness because peak brightness is set according to your room lighting conditions and how much brightness/nits target you crave in your room lighting conditions. People would have their own preference in this regard. In the default settings in custom mode with sdr content, i remember the brightness was set to max. and peak luminance to medium, i found that too bright in the pitch black room i watch, for someone watching in a brighter room that peak brightness could work. And calibration is a good idea, but even after a grayscale and cms calibration, you can use your own sdr peak brightness setting based on your preference and the calibration won't be affected.
OK, so? This post is covered in my suggestions, which once again are:
  • Most people dont care, except at AVS
  • If you do not know what you are doing, don't adjust it
  • If you want to know what you are doing, the answers are generally already here on AVS

As far as what you are posting about, it has been discussed ad nauseam, it isn't a mystery.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #1206 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 06:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So there isn't an 'owners thread' for the A8G, but that's the model i'm interested in. In any case, I watch tv using the Silicon HD Homerun Prime set of CATV tuners, and they list that they have an app available for Android TV. I was wondering if anyone can confirm it works on their set, and if so, if I can assume it would also be available for the A8G as well.
ou8thissn1 is offline  
post #1207 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4277 Post(s)
Liked: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
OK, so? This post is covered in my suggestions, which once again are:
  • Most people dont care, except at AVS
  • If you do not know what you are doing, don't adjust it
  • If you want to know what you are doing, the answers are generally already here on AVS

As far as what you are posting about, it has been discussed ad nauseam, it isn't a mystery.
And I guess that's my overall point. I know this is a discussion forum but at the beginning of the model year, myself, D-Nice and other's spend a lot of time reporting on the sets, pro's, con's, how new controls work, etc.. and Vincent Teoh usually ties it all up with his review. Most of this information is in the calibration threads so maybe that's the reason why it's missed. Some of these topics are rather involved and some have been discussed a lot so when we see some of these topics come up again late in the season, it gets frustrating to have to explain it over and over again, especially when it sounds like a new discovery and I get a ton of PMs wanting clarification.

The Sony owners have it easy. All you need to basically do is calibrate SDR carefully and the HDR and DV offsets and setting are set automatically. While it's true you can go in and calibrate and or tweak HDR separately, the gain is not worth the trouble. Also when you start making adjustments and you notice that the picture looks more "punchy", most likely you are degrading the calibration from the factory and seeing a more inaccurate picture. Although I don't go back as far as the plasma days as some people on this forum, what I accept is over the years some manufacturers have been listening to their customers and have made improvements to their sets where you don't necessarily need "magic" and or "special settings" to get a good picture anymore. I feel this is a good thing so we can better enjoy these new sets.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 07-11-2019 at 07:34 AM.
jrref is online now  
post #1208 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
But i would have preferred having just an oled light setting. Besides, there is no sony documentation available on the web or in the barebones manual that comes with the tv, that details it out how to set the peak brightness and how the brightness+peak luminance combo has an impact on the nits. To people new to sony oleds, it can be a bit confusing.

I think this is a valid criticism and Sony should more clearly document these settings, particularly because the default SDR setting is an aggressive max. brightness and medium peak luminance combination.

For SDR Custom, I have brightness set to 13, gamma at -2, and peak luminance set to medium. For SDR game mode, I dropped brightness to 10 because gamma is 0 to prevent loss of detail. I very rarely have time to watch TV during the day, so only night settings are relevant for me.
JD23 is online now  
post #1209 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,499
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenacura View Post
Just mounted my 65A9G and initial impressions are positive, unlike the majority I like the Android OS as I coming from using a Nvidia Shield with my prior TV(55HX929).

The only thing I haven't figured out is how in the heck do you program the remote to control a device? I tried to look in the built in help section with no luck, the only Sony support says no info when you navigate to the configure remote section. Is this remote not configurable to control a device(soundbar) via IR?

I was hoping to just use the built in sound and eliminating my Martin Logan Soundbar, but the sound from the TV sounds tiny to me.
I don't believe the Sony remote has any ability to be programmed to control other devices. I believe the expectation is that you do so using CEC. Certainly that is how I control volume and such using my remote for the external sound system. If CEC works, it is great, but if it doesn't, it is a nightmare. But worth a try I guess, although I guess it can't control input selection, just volume (or at least I don't know how to control input selection on the AVR using the Sony TV remote, except for the few devices that announce themselves in the input devices list, like my bluray player).

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #1210 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
From what I have seen, its mainly bad. You would not see D-Nice or Chad B working for that little bit of cash. In the end you get what you pay for, not always, but in this case you do.


Yep. I went the BB route a while back and the moron’s laptop ran out of battery and forgot his charger at home. The results were so bad that I immediately deleted it.

65” Sony A9G (on order) | 65” Samsung Q90r | 55” LG C8 | 65” Sony Z9D (R.I.P.) | 55” Sony x850b. Denon s940e | Bose soundbar 700 | Apple TV 4K | Panasonic UB820 | PS4 | Xbox One X
sd13 is online now  
post #1211 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,709
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2046 Post(s)
Liked: 745
This review tried a new input lag tester and got 18ms vs. 26ms on the Leo.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/369354/...ries-xbr-65a9g
guitarguy316 is online now  
post #1212 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 33,900
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
So there isn't an 'owners thread' for the A8G, but that's the model i'm interested in. In any case, I watch tv using the Silicon HD Homerun Prime set of CATV tuners, and they list that they have an app available for Android TV. I was wondering if anyone can confirm it works on their set, and if so, if I can assume it would also be available for the A8G as well.
As an A9F owner, I can confirm that the Android SD HDHomeRun app does work on my model and will record everything other than premium channels such as HBO and the like. This is with Comcast as the provider.

You might get more information by checking the below thread at the SiliconDust forum,
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...71803&start=15
ou8thissn1 likes this.
Keenan is online now  
post #1213 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 23,983
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6387 Post(s)
Liked: 6387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
So there isn't an 'owners thread' for the A8G, but that's the model i'm interested in. In any case, I watch tv using the Silicon HD Homerun Prime set of CATV tuners, and they list that they have an app available for Android TV. I was wondering if anyone can confirm it works on their set, and if so, if I can assume it would also be available for the A8G as well.
Ya A8G, just recently showed up. You should start the thread
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #1214 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
As an A9F owner, I can confirm that the Android SD HDHomeRun app does work on my model and will record everything other than premium channels such as HBO and the like. This is with Comcast as the provider.

You might get more information by checking the below thread at the SiliconDust forum,
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/...71803&start=15

Thanks for responding but did you mean to say "SD"? Does that mean only the SD channels work and not the HD channels?



I don't subscribe or pay Silicondust for their service, I only have their Prime tuner box. I have a bunch of computers I run windows 7 on at each TV, but that was before boxes like the Nvidia Shield existed. I was hoping to just buy an Apple TV 4k and *hope* they will eventually port their HD homerun app to it, like they have to their other iOS devices, and in the mean time, use the native Android TV HD homerun prime app to watch a bit of TV. Is this a reasonable strategy?
ou8thissn1 is offline  
post #1215 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 33,900
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
Thanks for responding but did you mean to say "SD"? Does that mean only the SD channels work and not the HD channels?



I don't subscribe or pay Silicondust for their service, I only have their Prime tuner box. I have a bunch of computers I run windows 7 on at each TV, but that was before boxes like the Nvidia Shield existed. I was hoping to just buy an Apple TV 4k and *hope* they will eventually port their HD homerun app to it, like they have to their other iOS devices, and in the mean time, use the native Android TV HD homerun prime app to watch a bit of TV. Is this a reasonable strategy?
Sorry, I abbreviated Silicon Dust to "SD", I get the full HD picture with 5.1 audio with the app on my Sony A9F.

If you use the Apple TV just get the Channels app for it and you'll be all set. The Channels app is better than the HDHomeRun app anyway.
ou8thissn1 likes this.
Keenan is online now  
post #1216 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 16,779
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked: 3596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Ya A8G, just recently showed up. You should start the thread
A8G owners.... don’t freak out when you get your new TV and see it is running Android 7. Immediately go to the Sony website and get the latest firmware that updates the TV to Android 8. Not sure why Sony would release this set running 7.
gadgtfreek likes this.
D-Nice is offline  
post #1217 of 1334 Old 07-11-2019, 11:59 PM
Member
 
box4m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok so, Im not one whos gonna check 5% slides etc but.

Jesus christ what a TV, everything went well.
We took it out of the box to mount brackets for wall mount.

We then put it back in the box before carrying it onto the wallmount, went really well, then you werent as scared, as you had the entire bottom of the box for carrying.

Gonna experiment with cables, as the supposedly quality SUPRA hdmi 18gbit i have now might not be sufficiant, dont know yet. But 60hz 4k breaks up when watching it. It can be the AppleTV and it can be the cable.

I have a question for you guys.. The screen doesnt fit 100%, its a black bar maybe 1cm at the bottom of the picture, and i cant get it to fit fully..........? Damaged?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony KD-77AG9 / AppleTV4k
box4m is online now  
post #1218 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 12:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by box4m View Post

I have a question for you guys.. The screen doesnt fit 100%, its a black bar maybe 1cm at the bottom of the picture, and i cant get it to fit fully..........? Damaged?
Mine is the same.

If you want to use eARC you will need the 48Gbit with ethernet cables. I put one on the ATV just to be safe too. Couple bucks from Monoprice.
Conor Shaw is offline  
post #1219 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 01:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by box4m View Post
Ok so, Im not one whos gonna check 5% slides etc but.

Jesus christ what a TV, everything went well.
We took it out of the box to mount brackets for wall mount.

We then put it back in the box before carrying it onto the wallmount, went really well, then you werent as scared, as you had the entire bottom of the box for carrying.

Gonna experiment with cables, as the supposedly quality SUPRA hdmi 18gbit i have now might not be sufficiant, dont know yet. But 60hz 4k breaks up when watching it. It can be the AppleTV and it can be the cable.

I have a question for you guys.. The screen doesnt fit 100%, its a black bar maybe 1cm at the bottom of the picture, and i cant get it to fit fully..........? Damaged?
Yeah, this was the first TV that I was nervous on mounting, the top of the TV is so thin it felt like it was going to crack it when wall mounting, everything went well though.
mugenacura is offline  
post #1220 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 04:07 AM
Member
 
box4m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Shaw View Post
Mine is the same.

If you want to use eARC you will need the 48Gbit with ethernet cables. I put one on the ATV just to be safe too. Couple bucks from Monoprice.
Alright, i have to read up on what eARC is though.
Its weird though, that you would need 48Gbit, because:
Even with 1080p from computer/cable/atv the screen still wont get 100%, i have 1cm of black pixels at the bottom...
box4m is online now  
post #1221 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobbino421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Question guys I have the 55 A9F which I love and I’m thinking of maybe the 77A9G for my next large panel TV. I love high impact HDR and brightness. I’m also Considering an LCD as an alternative.
How bright is the A9G vs the F? I’m thinking they are very similar in specs. I love the OLED PQ.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
bobbino421 is online now  
post #1222 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 04:49 AM
Member
 
box4m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Question guys I have the 55 A9F which I love and I’m thinking of maybe the 77A9G for my next large panel TV. I love high impact HDR and brightness. I’m also Considering an LCD as an alternative.
How bright is the A9G vs the F? I’m thinking they are very similar in specs. I love the OLED PQ.
As far as i know they are basically the same, maybe someone can correct me if im wrong
jrref likes this.
box4m is online now  
post #1223 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by box4m View Post
Alright, i have to read up on what eARC is though.
Its weird though, that you would need 48Gbit, because:
Even with 1080p from computer/cable/atv the screen still wont get 100%, i have 1cm of black pixels at the bottom...

The 1 cm of black pixels you see at the bottom is an optical effect created by the 0.3" bezel that is directly above an additional frame containing the power LED and is not indicative of damage. Please see a repost of a discussion from last week concerning this topic.


"I looked at the area closely after noticing it a few days after receiving the TV and I convinced myself that the approximately 1/4" bezel extends around the entire TV, but it appears to be thicker on the bottom because there is also a second border region containing the power LED below the bezel.


Take a look at the blank black area at the bottom of the screen here: https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/...sign-large.jpg

"
JD23 is online now  
post #1224 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by box4m View Post
As far as i know they are basically the same, maybe someone can correct me if im wrong

From everything presented so far, the two have approximately the same PQ (the A9G likely uses the 2019 panel with slightly larger red subpixel) with a different stand and remote.
gadgtfreek likes this.
JD23 is online now  
post #1225 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ggw2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,394
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Shaw View Post
Mine is the same.

If you want to use eARC you will need the 48Gbit with ethernet cables. I put one on the ATV just to be safe too. Couple bucks from Monoprice.
Absolutely FALSE!! All you need is a Premium Certified 18GB cable with ethernet. There are NO devices out there that use HDMI 2.1 48GB and won't be for quite a while.. There is also NO certified 48GB cables as the spec for cables has not been released never mind the testing requirements..
You can buy 48GB cables that say good for up to that bandwidth but for the most part they are blowing smoke because there's no way of testing the cable to that spec..
Gerry
lsorensen likes this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony Z9F 3.1 Soundbar - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K
ggw2000 is offline  
post #1226 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,133
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
From everything presented so far, the two have approximately the same PQ (the A9G likely uses the 2019 panel with slightly larger red subpixel) with a different stand and remote.
Well said. I prefer the A9G stand more, having owned an A1E.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #1227 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobbino421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,797
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
From everything presented so far, the two have approximately the same PQ (the A9G likely uses the 2019 panel with slightly larger red subpixel) with a different stand and remote.
Well said. I prefer the A9G stand more, having owned an A1E.
Thanks I have a riser mount for my A9F for when I had my soundbar but now it’s moot because I went traditional home theatre and I also use the tv as my center channel which is great! Which btw I should ask has the sound improved also?
77 A9G is a serious contender for me.
Great MSRP for a huge OLED and it could only drop from there later.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
bobbino421 is online now  
post #1228 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,133
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Thanks I have a riser mount for my A9F for when I had my soundbar but now it’s moot because I went traditional home theatre and I also use the tv as my center channel which is great! Which btw I should ask has the sound improved also?
77 A9G is a serious contender for me.
Great MSRP for a huge OLED and it could only drop from there later.
I'd guess the sound is potentially "worse", granted I think the A1E and A8F sound great for tv "speakers" using the screen. I think the A9G speaker setup is probably less powerful than the F, but not sure.

My A9G actually sits on my large Klipsch center channel.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #1229 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 AM
Member
 
box4m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is there an "easy" way of checking what resolution/hz the TV is displaying?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony KD-77AG9 / AppleTV4k
box4m is online now  
post #1230 of 1334 Old 07-12-2019, 08:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Absolutely FALSE!! All you need is a Premium Certified 18GB cable with ethernet. There are NO devices out there that use HDMI 2.1 48GB and won't be for quite a while.. There is also NO certified 48GB cables as the spec for cables has not been released never mind the testing requirements..
You can buy 48GB cables that say good for up to that bandwidth but for the most part they are blowing smoke because there's no way of testing the cable to that spec..
Gerry
Do you have the TV and a eARC capable receiver?

Because if so you can test it easily just by looking at the screen on the receiver with an 18Gb cable and then exchanging it to a 48gb cable.

With 18Gb you get "DD+" or "Dolby Surround" despite eARC being turned off or on. With 48Gb you get "Multi Channel in".

If you don't know what those are one is lossy converted audio, the other is lossless PCM.

I'm guessing though you are making that strong statement without actually having seen it yourself.
Conor Shaw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off