2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1516Likes

post #1321 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6062
Report, do not engage. Let the mods handle the LG owners. No one is going to listen to facts, everyone just nitpicks what fits their argument.

Watched Waterworld 4K blu-ray last night. I love these catalog releases in UHD, really brings them out. It has a few warts, but as with most catalog releases in 4K, it is the best I have ever seen it. Can't wait to see Alita.

And during all the day shots on the water, the A9G was VERY bright.
Spizz, rboster, brickyardz and 2 others like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Report, do not engage. Let the mods handle the LG owners. No one is going to listen to facts, everyone just nitpicks what fits their argument.

Watched Waterworld 4K blu-ray last night. I love these catalog releases in UHD, really brings them out. It has a few warts, but as with most catalog releases in 4K, it is the best I have ever seen it. Can't wait to see Alita.

What would be your picks for 5 great looking 4k hdr blu ray discs to watch on these master oleds? My sony x700 player has been set aside since i sold my lg c8, now im in the process of hooking it back up in my setup and looking on amazon to get 5 new movies (does not matter if they're hdr10 or DV, and the actual content does not matter, just great PQ), what would be five good picks? I own blade runner 2049 and Valerian on disc currently.
post #1323 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
I played Spiderman on PS4 Pro last night and did not notice any ABL-based dimming. I also haven't noticed any dimming on RDR2 or one of the recent Tomb Raider games. Although the A9G has been criticized as being substandard for gaming, I have found it to be sufficient.

I also tested several DV modes over the weekend and am happiest with DV Dark and default settings for evening viewing. I tested the various contrast enhancer settings and though they brighten the lighter portions of an image, I did not find it necessary. DV Bright likely would work well during the day, but was too bright for my viewing conditions.

Last edited by JD23; 07-15-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
The friend's excuse does not work, a mod said some posts above that this thread is for owners or prospective owners. So if you yourself dont own an a9g (or an a9f, which has the same picture as this tv) and don't have plans to own one either, then you shouldn't be posting here by the thread's rules. You ended up with a lg c9 so you're an lg owner now, regardless of what you were planning to buy at one point of time. And now you feel the need to constantly reassure yourself all the time that you did not buy an inferior tv and that your c9 is equally as good as the sony on all counts. You can start your own comparison thread for that purpose instead of posting here.

I’ve been in this site for a long time and have a good rep. I have no bias, you’re just twisting my words. Don’t be so sensitive.
I won’t post is this thread again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruppgu likes this.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #1325 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
What would be your picks for 5 great looking 4k hdr blu ray discs to watch on these master oleds? My sony x700 player has been set aside since i sold my lg c8, now im in the process of hooking it back up in my setup and looking on amazon to get 5 new movies (does not matter if they're hdr10 or DV, and the actual content does not matter, just great PQ), what would be five good picks? I own blade runner 2049 and Valerian on disc currently.
Blade Runner 2049 is beautiful.

Others I felt were quite nice on my B7A at least:

* Life
* Passengers
* Pacific Rim
* Mission Impossible fallout (the imax scenes are insane)
* Interstellar (imax scenes )
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #1326 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6770 Post(s)
Liked: 6776
Quote:
I have not trusted flatpanelshd much before, they even made a claim that the a8f's hdr was better than the a9f, if you ask europe guys, they would tell you the two most trustworthy euro sources are hdtvtest and hdtv
Hard to say what reviews you can trust, I know D-Nice and Chad B don't sugar coat things and they know EXACTLY what they are going.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #1327 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 4540 Post(s)
Liked: 5534
It's been said over and over, many of the TV reviewers just look at one set and therefore their observations should be used as a guide. There are several pro calibrators who give initial impressions and data each model year in the calibration threads with more precise data because they are able to look at many sets. You also have Hdtvtest wrapping everything up and the VE and UK TV Shootouts.
Spizz, WOLVERNOLE, sd13 and 1 others like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 07-15-2019 at 09:34 AM.
post #1328 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

From the eye standpoint, and someone that has owned an EF9500, an E6, an A1E, an A8F, and the A9G, the A9G looks lovely on SDR and HDR post calibration, and is VERY bright. My uniformity is excellent too.
Spizz, WOLVERNOLE and sd13 like this.

post #1329 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was testing the picture modes yesterday out of curiosity and I quite liked the way cinema mode looked with a couple of tweaks. Standard and vivid as expected were completely blown out. Graphics or photo mode also did not look right. With cinema mode , after turning off ACE and live color, which by default is set to on, it looked really good with a space flick i was watching (Gravity).
My question is : Is there a downside to be using the cinema preset for movies in a dark room after turning off ACE and live color..as opposed to using custom mode? To my eyes cinema looked just right after the tweaks, it seems to be using the same Expert 1 color temperature as custom, is it any less accurate than custom for movie watching?
post #1330 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Anyone using AppleTV4K with AG9?

The "problem" i have is, when i have "match dynamic range" enabled, and watch a HDR10 movie - HDR kicks in, but to me it looks kinda washed out.

When i force Dolby Vision, and have "match dynamic range" off, it looks more correct to me - deeper blacks and better contrast. Im no picture tech pro but ive read quite abit and this seems weird to me, that DV looks better even though the movie isnt made for DV, what counts is ofcourse what i think but i wonder if im correct in thinking so, cause it seems weird to me.

Not related at all but i dont understand what ppl talk about when they say oled has bad judder with 24p, its as smooth as anything ive seen even without motion settings on
And Dolby Vision might me dark compared to LG, i have no idea - but i think ppl are nitpicking, the picture is absolutely amazing, be happy with your tv!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony KD-77AG9 / AppleTV4k
post #1331 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by box4m View Post
Anyone using AppleTV4K with AG9?

The "problem" i have is, when i have "match dynamic range" enabled, and watch a HDR10 movie - HDR kicks in, but to me it looks kinda washed out.

When i force Dolby Vision, and have "match dynamic range" off, it looks more correct to me - deeper blacks and better contrast. Im no picture tech pro but ive read quite abit and this seems weird to me, that DV looks better even though the movie isnt made for DV, what counts is ofcourse what i think but i wonder if im correct in thinking so, cause it seems weird to me.

Not related at all but i dont understand what ppl talk about when they say oled has bad judder with 24p, its as smooth as anything ive seen even without motion settings on

And Dolby Vision might me dark compared to LG, i have no idea - but i think ppl are nitpicking, the picture is absolutely amazing, be happy with your tv!

Did you enable “hdmi enhanced” through your tv settings? If you’re using your atv through a receiver you gotta make sure hdmi enhanced is selected as well.
post #1332 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread

Quote:

Nothing dim about this tv at all. Only people that are claiming that it’s dim are owners and fanboys of competing sets. Look how nice and bright hdr looks.
Spizz, WOLVERNOLE and Micolash like this.

Last edited by sd13; 07-27-2019 at 08:27 PM.
post #1333 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Yes I personally own a C9 (almost bought an A9F) but I was actually helping a friend this weekend shop for a new TV.
That TV is an A9G. Hmm...

They’re both outstanding TV sets. But trust me I wouldn’t touch the a9g with a ten foot pole if it had excessive dimming. I was one of the most outspoken oled owners in regards to aggressive abl last few years and it’s a huge pet peeve of mine. It passed my abl hockey test which some previous oleds (namely the A8f) failed. Dimming is the first thing I tested for in Roberts store before I got my tv.
lsorensen likes this.
post #1334 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have not trusted flatpanelshd much before, they even made a claim that the a8f's hdr was better than the a9f, if you ask europe guys, they would tell you the two most trustworthy euro sources are hdtvtest and hdtv polska.

Making generalized statements like "A9G has issues with ABL" is no good, ABL is directly tied to the content and its peak brightness. If flatpanelshd states A9G has issues with ABL, they need to be asked with what content was it, hdr movies or games, and how many nits was that content encoded at? There is a certain nits threshold on these oleds in both hdr and sdr before ABL gets triggered. For instance, in sdr a full field white on these oleds can go upto 140-150 nits before ABL gets triggered. In my content viewing, which is hdr movies and hdr demos (not hdr gaming), i haven't seen any instances of noticing ABL.

And if flatpanelshd was making the ABL claim on a measurable basis using a test pattern, then all oleds regardless of brand have measurable ABL beyond a certain nits threshold, and much more than lcd tv's do. ABL is used on oleds to prevent burn in and heat buildup inside the panel. To make this better, panasonic this year on their gz2000 oled is using a custom panel with a cooling solution on the back layer of the oled panel, the tv will still have measurable ABL but their custom panel will increase the nits threshold higher than normal oleds before ABL gets triggered.

The x1 ultimate processor senses the difference between a menu overlay and let’s say a scoreboard during a sports match. This is why flatpanel noticed excessive ASBL. They had a test pattern running, not a real scene. Vincent demonstrates that there is no excessive ASBL during content such as sports in his A9f review, and also demonstrated that menu overlays on the a9g trigger ASBL in his recent a9g video. The smart chip does a fantastic job of dimming only when necessary.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #1335 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I really want a 77" A9G over the 65", but almost double the price for an extra 12" is a hard pill to swallow.
post #1336 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Question This is really encouraging. Thanks. Would love more 1080i feedback.

Quote:
From the eye standpoint, and someone that has owned an EF9500, an E6, an A1E, an A8F, and the A9G, the A9G looks lovely on SDR and HDR post calibration, and is VERY bright. My uniformity is excellent too.
This is really good to hear. I have been following this thread closely, with interest in how you guys are enjoying your new A9G sets. Well, I KNOW I am a proverbial "broken record" but I continue to be particularly inquisitive about how ya'll are finding your broadcast material (1080i material). I have been trying to view broadcast on an OLED (preferably a SONY) around our relatively rural Upper Michigan town, and there are very few owners (at least evident).
I would really appreciate your continued occasional input on just how clean you are able to pull that 1080i in. In our area, OTA is a tough pull of 60 miles across trees and terrain. Unfortunately, as Rtings has indicated, "up conversion" is seen as somewhat "subjective." Rtings doesn't even pretend to try and rate up conversion, but rather, they give EVERY panel the exact same rating as to how they handle 720/1080i. Cowards!
Feedback on 1080i material on your Sony A9G tends to be "Well it looks real good" or "I have no problem with 1080i material." No doubt, it is the SONY 65" A9G or nothing for me, due to the almost universally accepted belief that Sony does THEE best up conversion. No doubt, 1080p and 4K look 'jaw-droopingly great.' A given. The few Sony sets around town with 1080i that I have seen were the 900-F (and not tweaked out finely beyond basic "Custom" setting. That 1080i looked softish (and as "objective" as I can explain, it was inferior to a good 1080p set...facial features just were softish and inferior).
I really "get" that this is a 4K panel and that is the primary focus on here. Nevertheless, as broadcast/1080i is still a major player in our world, I think discussion of how the Sony A9G handles it is understated. It is the ONLY factor that keeps pulling me to the sidelines. I do not think that I am alone in feeling that one or two of three things need to happen: Preferably(a) we need mainline network (especially sports) broadcast to go 4K, or (b)4K panels need to address better upconversion, and/OR (c ) networks need to provide uniformly sharper/less compressed signals.
Mystaken likes this.

Last edited by WOLVERNOLE; 07-15-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: xyz
post #1337 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Shaw View Post
Mine is the same.

If you want to use eARC you will need the 48Gbit with ethernet cables. I put one on the ATV just to be safe too. Couple bucks from Monoprice.
Mine works fine with 4’ 18gb cable from Amazon. Secure-o-max. $10
lsorensen likes this.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #1338 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
This is really good to hear. I have been following this thread closely, with interest in how you guys are enjoying your new A9G sets. Well, I KNOW I am a proverbial "broken record" but I continue to be particularly inquisitive about how ya'll are finding your broadcast material (1080i material). I have been trying to view broadcast on an OLED (preferably

Although broadcast-type material is a minority of what I watch on the A9G, the A9G handles it as well as can be expected. I would not recommend continuing to wait on account of 1080i and 720p upscaling, as the A9G is about the best that exists in this regard and future sets may actually be worse as the transition to 4k occurs.
WOLVERNOLE and BillP like this.
post #1339 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone use the built-in PS Vue app on the A9G? Although the guide and other menus are extremely smooth, the video exhibits significant stuttering. I previously watched on my X930E, and though the guide was a bit slow, video was always perfectly smooth until an update in April that seemed to have introduced similar stuttering. I had assumed the stuttering was because the X930E's SoC was too slow, but given the same performance on the A9G, it seems that the app is broken on all Sony Android TVs.

Vue runs perfectly on all of the streaming boxes in my house (Shield, Fire TV 4k, Roku Ultra) and my internet connection (1 Gbps) and wireless signal are not at fault. It seems silly to connect a streaming box to the A9G for only a single app, but I may just take the most cost-effective approach and move the rarely used Roku to the A9G to run Vue.
post #1340 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
I have a question for 77" owners. What size mounting screws do I need to have ready to mount this bad boy?

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #1341 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is anyone using Netflix Calibrated Mode? Just curious.

Sony XBR65A9G
Yamaha RX-A3080
Sony UBP-X700
post #1342 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Uverse doesnt look bad, most of it actually looks pretty good, but you can tell the compression has made it kinda soft. I finally got my A8F over the fireplace earlier today, and the view distance there is 10 feet vs 6.5 feet in my HT room. Uverse looks a lot better on the A8F, and I am going t leave smooth gradation on all the time on the A8F as well. All it will ever broadcast is Uverse.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

post #1343 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
This is really good to hear. I have been following this thread closely, with interest in how you guys are enjoying your new A9G sets. Well, I KNOW I am a proverbial "broken record" but I continue to be particularly inquisitive about how ya'll are finding your broadcast material (1080i material). I have been trying to view broadcast on an OLED (preferably a SONY) around our relatively rural Upper Michigan town, and there are very few owners (at least evident).
I would really appreciate your continued occasional input on just how clean you are able to pull that 1080i in. In our area, OTA is a tough pull of 60 miles across trees and terrain. Unfortunately, as Rtings has indicated, "up conversion" is seen as somewhat "subjective." Rtings doesn't even pretend to try and rate up conversion, but rather, they give EVERY panel the exact same rating as to how they handle 720/1080i. Cowards!
Feedback on 1080i material on your Sony A9G tends to be "Well it looks real good" or "I have no problem with 1080i material." No doubt, it is the SONY 65" A9G or nothing for me, due to the almost universally accepted belief that Sony does THEE best up conversion. No doubt, 1080p and 4K look 'jaw-droopingly great.' A given. The few Sony sets around town with 1080i that I have seen were the 900-F (and not tweaked out finely beyond basic "Custom" setting. That 1080i looked softish (and as "objective" as I can explain, it was inferior to a good 1080p set...facial features just were softish and inferior).
I really "get" that this is a 4K panel and that is the primary focus on here. Nevertheless, as broadcast/1080i is still a major player in our world, I think discussion of how the Sony A9G handles it is understated. It is the ONLY factor that keeps pulling me to the sidelines. I do not think that I am alone in feeling that one or two of three things need to happen: Preferably(a) we need mainline network (especially sports) broadcast to go 4K, or (b)4K panels need to address better upconversion, and/OR (c ) networks need to provide uniformly sharper/less compressed signals.
Watched a good amount of DTV in the few weeks we’ve had the 77A9G and I think overall it looks good (coming from a 65VT30 Plasma). Watch a lot of baseball/movie channels/ wife watches a bunch of food network hgtv etc.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Living Room - XBR77A9G / X800M2 / X4500H / Klipsch RP260F - RP-504C - R-112SW - R-41-SA (Atmos) Pioneer Elite SP-EBS73-LR (Surrounds + Atmos)
Bedroom - 65VT30
post #1344 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundboy View Post
Is anyone using Netflix Calibrated Mode? Just curious.

I have watched some stuff. Compared to my calibrated settings, it’s not really too far off from a subjective standpoint. I mean, I’m sure it’s not perfect, but I think Sony should have included it as a separate mode to be used outside of Netflix - similar to a THX Cinema (not named that, of course). You might need to adjust the brightness a little depending on the environment and preferences.

I assume they have some licensing with Netflix that restricts that mode only to the TV’s Netflix app.

post #1345 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I have watched some stuff. Compared to my calibrated settings, it’s not really too far off from a subjective standpoint. I mean, I’m sure it’s not perfect, but I think Sony should have included it as a separate mode to be used outside of Netflix - similar to a THX Cinema (not named that, of course). You might need to adjust the brightness a little depending on the environment and preferences.

I assume they have some licensing with Netflix that restricts that mode only to the TV’s Netflix app.
I agree 100% and was thinking the same thing RE: different mode outside Netflix. Like you said, it's also slightly dark depending on content. I think I prefer Dolby Vision Dark over it.

Sony XBR65A9G
Yamaha RX-A3080
Sony UBP-X700
post #1346 of 2734 Old 07-15-2019, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundboy View Post
I agree 100% and was thinking the same thing RE: different mode outside Netflix. Like you said, it's also slightly dark depending on content. I think I prefer Dolby Vision Dark over it.

Oh, definitely. Except DV isn’t an option on everything.

post #1347 of 2734 Old 07-16-2019, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So it looks like my HDMI 1 is malfunctioning, the problem ive been having with not being able to view 50hz 60hz HDR content, wasnt the cable as i believed for a week, its the HDMI1.. When changing HDMI it works, you guys dont have any similar problems?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony KD-77AG9 / AppleTV4k
post #1348 of 2734 Old 07-16-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post

I agree as well. It looks pretty close to how the Custom setting I use for SDR and DV Dark for HDR but I switched back to DV Dark because highlights seemed more muted with the Netflix Calibrated mode. Did you notice the same?
post #1349 of 2734 Old 07-16-2019, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I agree as well. It looks pretty close to how the Custom setting I use for SDR and DV Dark for HDR but I switched back to DV Dark because highlights seemed more muted with the Netflix Calibrated mode. Did you notice the same?

Yes, because I think the Netflix Calibrated is more to help with SDR content. If DV or HDR are an option, those offer a punchier picture and would be what people prefer.

post #1350 of 2734 Old 07-16-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

netflix calibrated mode has always made the picture darker, on the a9f too, better kept turned off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page